Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Open Discussion] Where is a steampunk / magical / small creatures race?

RalmsRalms Member
edited December 2020 in General Discussion
Hi there,

Looking at the races currently announced I feel there is a gap.

So far we have
  • Humans (Kaelar and Vaelune)
  • Dwarves (Dünir and Niküa)
  • Orcs (Ren'Kai and Vek)
  • Elves (Empyrean and Pyrai)
  • Tulnar (not a lot of details)

From these races, looking at the current images and information on the wiki, they all fairly similar.

Kaelar, Vaelune and Empyrean (humans with pointy ears) look very similar.
Dwarves Dünir are chunky and too serious.
Orcs are not cute.
Tulnar too serious.

As a player that usually goes for small, cute magical races with a steampunk culture, I feel there is a gap.

In Guild Wars 2 I played an Asura, in FFXIV I played a female smallest height Au Ra.
Looking at the current races in Ashes, the Niküa have potential, but I don't want to play an Hawaiian fish people.
Leaving me with the only option right now the Pyrai.

Still, can we have space for a Steampunk culture of less humanoid race that look magical and cool?
Let me leave you with Guineceans from Crowfall as inspiration, they look so cool, I would love play as a steampunk guinea pig :smiley:
They could also be squirrels or Meerkats with a fantasy twist :smile:

Let me know your thoughts

---
Tittle Edit: Removed the "cute" term.
«13

Comments

  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Did you get lost? None of that has anything to do with Ashes of Creation, it’s aesthetics, or goals.

    TERA Online is available on both console and PC, it has all you are asking for. And it’s free to play. Go have fun. You’re not going to enjoy Ashes.
     
    Hhak63P.png
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited December 2020
    Ralms wrote: »
    Leaving me with the only option right now the Pyrai.

    Woop! Come join the party!

    I imagine that further races would be added after a few years.


    Edit: Just give it a try and see what you think. I mean, there's no box cost, so even if you find you don't like it, you've only lost a month's sub.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • BluehBlueh Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fventurebeat.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F08%2Fwildstar-screenshots-09.jpg%3Ffit%3D578%252C361%26strip%3Dall&f=1&nofb=1
    Something like this big eyes+animal ears might not fit in ashes but its always the best race.
  • HakaijuHakaiju Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2020
    Blueh wrote: »
    Something like this big eyes+animal ears might not fit in ashes but its always the best race.

    Everyone needs a pedo furry race /s.
  • BluehBlueh Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Yes i play them since dying to a tiny furry with big tiddies feels more humiliating so its a power move to get ultimate humiliation for my opponents in pvp
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited December 2020
    I think those died off because they were left on the planet during the last corruption invasion.

    it was the second time the gods made a mistake race
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Sathrago wrote: »
    I think those died off because they were left on the planet during the last corruption invasion.

    it was the second time the gods made a mistake race

    Nah, the skimpy big-tiddie race were the only race The Ancients left alive.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Glad to see your coming around to the Tulnar
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Glad to see your coming around to the Tulnar

    Well, the Tulnar aren't a real race, so, the statement stands! ;):p
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Look you get your cute races when I get my grim dark ones
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited December 2020
    Nagash wrote: »
    Look you get your cute races when I get my grim dark ones

    I have to say it would be pretty neat if Ashes of Creation added in an Undead variant or at least an undead racial skin that you could acquire. It would fulfill my dead hopes for the forsaken in WoW which has taken the lazy way out by not adding in playable forsaken from other races.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Orcs are cute.
  • Well, I think steampunk is not the way to go. The essence/MAGIC makes such technologie a bit unnecessary. Also, i which world are the asuras cute( not in mine i guess,they look more like creepy dolls). But considering you wanting a cute magical race, i think woodelves/Pyrai maybe your way to go(or dwarfs they look more like hobbits at the moment)
  • BluehBlueh Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Yes and so are female towren in wow. very cute
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited December 2020
    krakazilla wrote: »
    Well, I think steampunk is not the way to go. The essence/MAGIC makes such technologie a bit unnecessary. Also, i which world are the asuras cute( not in mine i guess,they look more like creepy dolls). But considering you wanting a cute magical race, i think woodelves/Pyrai maybe your way to go(or dwarfs they look more like hobbits at the moment)

    I would disagree completely. There should absolutely be a science based aesthetic to the game. Do not forget that the races that were saved by the gods went to another world that had no magic for eons. Now maybe steampunk is not the direction but some major form of technological achievement should be present in the game.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2020
    I mean you can do high fantasy and steampunk just look at Warhammer

    71a3e3df54dad1138bfa3fa910f6e45a.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited December 2020
    Ralms wrote: »
    As a player that usually goes for small, cute magical races with a steampunk culture, I feel there is a gap.

    For you, is that a deal-breaker for playing? What about other features like economy, crafting, PvP, etc?

    Maybe AoC is a good chance to broaden your fantasy/MMO horizons and experience a different setting with everything else it has to offer.
  • Nagash wrote: »
    I mean you can do high fantasy and steampunk just look at Warhammer

    71a3e3df54dad1138bfa3fa910f6e45a.jpg

    True, but the dwarfes in warhammer dont have magic/mages, don't they?
  • krakazilla wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    I mean you can do high fantasy and steampunk just look at Warhammer

    71a3e3df54dad1138bfa3fa910f6e45a.jpg

    True, but the dwarfes in warhammer dont have magic/mages, don't they?

    Dwarves use rune magic in warhammer fantasy.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Ravudha wrote: »
    Ralms wrote: »
    As a player that usually goes for small, cute magical races with a steampunk culture, I feel there is a gap.

    For you, is that a deal-breaker for playing? What about other features like economy, crafting, PvP, etc?

    Maybe AoC is a good chance to broaden your fantasy/MMO horizons and experience a different setting with everything else it has to offer.

    Oh definitely not, just providing feedback early on in development.
    If they don't add more variety in the races I will most likely go Pyrai, but I will need to see more regarding movement, character creation, etc.
  • AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    edited December 2020
    Tulnar is your best bet at some kind of...weird man animal hybrid. As for tiny, there are no ****'s nor should there ever be in a game.

    (and yes that word will get censored.)
  • Ew
  • Ashes of Creation is intended to be the best of all MMORPGs.
    Additionally, we are in Alpha stages where nothing is defined in stone, where people give feedback.

    So can everyone tone down the freaking hostilities regarding this topic just because you don't like it?
    The world is not just made of things we like, there is a balance.
  • Ralms wrote: »
    Ashes of Creation is intended to be the best of all MMORPGs.
    Additionally, we are in Alpha stages where nothing is defined in stone, where people give feedback.

    So can everyone tone down the freaking hostilities regarding this topic just because you don't like it?
    The world is not just made of things we like, there is a balance.

    Yeah they can exist in a game that’s not designed as high-fantasy. Steampunk is based in science fiction.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Sathrago wrote: »
    krakazilla wrote: »
    Well, I think steampunk is not the way to go. The essence/MAGIC makes such technologie a bit unnecessary. Also, i which world are the asuras cute( not in mine i guess,they look more like creepy dolls). But considering you wanting a cute magical race, i think woodelves/Pyrai maybe your way to go(or dwarfs they look more like hobbits at the moment)

    I would disagree completely. There should absolutely be a science based aesthetic to the game. Do not forget that the races that were saved by the gods went to another world that had no magic for eons. Now maybe steampunk is not the direction but some major form of technological achievement should be present in the game.

    I was going to post that I am completely against the idea, but I do have to admit, this is true.

    If a society goes from having magic to not having magic essentially overnight, one would expect them to develop scientifically instead - even if only to replace what they lost.

    It wouldn't make a while lot of sense for there to be no technological advancements over the thousands of years everyone was in Sanctus.

    Now, this doesn't necessarily mean a cute steampunk based race, but technology of some sort should exist.
  • Ralms wrote: »
    Ashes of Creation is intended to be the best of all MMORPGs.
    Additionally, we are in Alpha stages where nothing is defined in stone, where people give feedback.

    So can everyone tone down the freaking hostilities regarding this topic just because you don't like it?
    The world is not just made of things we like, there is a balance.

    Well they have all sorts of "cutsy" things going on in the game already... And we have not seen the full string of different race "loadouts" and such so maybe your request was too early and specific? I am not against a steampunk aesthetic being apart of the game as I said above some sort of technology has to be present for the lore to make sense. I just dont know if steampunk will be the direction to go, let alone adding in a cute race to specifically cater to your needs. Sorry if that upsets you.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We have empyrean!
    CZieyDL.png

    Just imagine your character is doing the UWU face, and stop asking for cringe races.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2020
    Noaani wrote: »
    Sathrago wrote: »
    krakazilla wrote: »
    Well, I think steampunk is not the way to go. The essence/MAGIC makes such technologie a bit unnecessary. Also, i which world are the asuras cute( not in mine i guess,they look more like creepy dolls). But considering you wanting a cute magical race, i think woodelves/Pyrai maybe your way to go(or dwarfs they look more like hobbits at the moment)

    I would disagree completely. There should absolutely be a science based aesthetic to the game. Do not forget that the races that were saved by the gods went to another world that had no magic for eons. Now maybe steampunk is not the direction but some major form of technological achievement should be present in the game.

    I was going to post that I am completely against the idea, but I do have to admit, this is true.

    If a society goes from having magic to not having magic essentially overnight, one would expect them to develop scientifically instead - even if only to replace what they lost.

    It wouldn't make a while lot of sense for there to be no technological advancements over the thousands of years everyone was in Sanctus.

    Now, this doesn't necessarily mean a cute steampunk based race, but technology of some sort should exist.

    This is the wonderful thing about lore, you can make it do whatever you want. For instance, just as Magic doesn't work in Sanctus, all the technology developed to replace the magic in Sanctus might not work in Verra because the magic interferes with it.

    Not saying that is the case here, but it could very easily be used to justify why there isn't more technology in the game.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Noaani wrote: »
    Sathrago wrote: »
    krakazilla wrote: »
    Well, I think steampunk is not the way to go. The essence/MAGIC makes such technologie a bit unnecessary. Also, i which world are the asuras cute( not in mine i guess,they look more like creepy dolls). But considering you wanting a cute magical race, i think woodelves/Pyrai maybe your way to go(or dwarfs they look more like hobbits at the moment)

    I would disagree completely. There should absolutely be a science based aesthetic to the game. Do not forget that the races that were saved by the gods went to another world that had no magic for eons. Now maybe steampunk is not the direction but some major form of technological achievement should be present in the game.

    I was going to post that I am completely against the idea, but I do have to admit, this is true.

    If a society goes from having magic to not having magic essentially overnight, one would expect them to develop scientifically instead - even if only to replace what they lost.

    It wouldn't make a while lot of sense for there to be no technological advancements over the thousands of years everyone was in Sanctus.

    Now, this doesn't necessarily mean a cute steampunk based race, but technology of some sort should exist.

    This is the wonderful thing about lore, you can make it do whatever you want. For instance, just as Magic doesn't work in Sanctus, all the technology developed to replace the magic in Sanctus might not work in Verra because the magic interferes with it.

    Not saying that is the case here, but it could very easily be used to justify why there isn't more technology in the game.

    thats also a good point. It could explain the persistence of a medieval culture as they couldnt bring the big guns back with them, however they can use that knowledge to quickly research and learn alternative methods. Case and point being the potion launchers as a substitute to guns.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
Sign In or Register to comment.