Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Combat System

2»

Comments

• Options
    Oh boy If this game can nail the combat in this rework, everything will fall into place. The world, atmosphere and gameplay will be on track to be THE wow killer, if blizzard doesn’t do that itself before launch
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Rexo428 wrote: »
    Oh boy If this game can nail the combat in this rework, everything will fall into place. The world, atmosphere and gameplay will be on track to be THE wow killer, if blizzard doesn’t do that itself before launch
    Everything you said here is right:
    "THE WOW KILLER"
    While I cringe every time I hear these words. I do think that a combination of blizzard slowly killing itself, and AOC just being as good as it can be. We could actually see WOW die.

They do need to look at WOW for getting the combat right. Yoshi-P took FFXIV from being a shitter version of FFXI with updated GFX to a great MMO, and one of the first things he did was gut the combat system to make it more like WOW. While FFXIV's combat system is kinda its own thing now. Using WOW as a guideline took FFXIV from the bottom to the top.

People need to understand that fast and responsive combat animations does not include aiming cutscenes at enemies. The only thing close to this in WOW is a few of the Demon Hunter moves, and it is pretty universally hated as a class.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2020
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Rexo428 wrote: »
    aiming cutscenes at enemies.

I chuckled.
    That's exactly what I hate!

I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    We can all only speak of our experience from the gaming world and the trend that we are observing and so try to create an overall picture of the current situation

I don't think any WoW player would want WoW clones to come out again, because none of these games has ever really established itself! I only claim that WoW has good core elements! (As well as other games) and that one can be inspired by other games is not a shame, right?

Think back to the golden days of MMOs like, Dark Age of Camelot; Everquest; Guild Wars; Lineage 2; Runescape; Star Wars Galaxies; Ultima Online etc ... of all these increatable games! Which one really shaped the world the most!? World of Warcraft and i realy want for Ashes of Creation to shape the world again!

I've been looking for over 12 years now and I hope that Ashes of Creation will take my heart and immerse myself into a wonderfull world!

So, for me personally, the first link is the combat system (the interaction with the world) is very important to identify myself in this world. And take a journey with the people.

Thank you and a Happy New Year everyone.
  • Options
    mushin wrote: »
    Make it 100% skill based and go in the way of monster hunter or dauntless. I really don't see the mmorpg genre going anywhere combat wise unless it moves into a fast paced action oriented gameplay, where the enemies actually do something and not just stand there. I know they are working on combat. It's just my opinion but I hope they really try to innovation and make something new instead of just going old school. Right now it just looks like an Elder Scrolls Online.

Imagine if you had 40 characters on screen all doing Monster Hunter style combat moves, it would be a complete mess and borderline unplayable.

I can hear the servers & network infrastructure crying already :'(
    Also the players suffering from lags :'(