Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

You're the Mayor! Taxes

ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Ok you managed to fight your way, or pay off the residents or simply charm them with your personality. Now what would you do?
How much tax would you institute?

and what buildings would you build right away?

How much tax does everyone feel is acceptable, knowing that it will cost to make your cities buildings , along with many other functions? is 20% to much?

Would love to hear everyone's input and what would your threshold be for looking for a new node due to high taxes.

Thanks for reading
TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn

Comments

• I'd want to get some housing started off, and maybe a few marketplaces/taverns/businesses going.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • 10% and if I take a small break or unable to play for a few days I'm going to do a no taxation without representation event and make it 0%. 12% just after a siege to cover the repair costs and 5% for holiday events....I thought this throw a lot. :)
  • 10%, more if there is an event or if my spies know that we will be sieged soon, less on holidays
  • ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I wouldn't be suprised to see 15 to 20% early on but I agree I think 10% is a good start.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Since we have no idea what all of the buildings do, what order they are unlocked, what Nodes need to develop, what the benefits of other 2 unique buildings are, etc. it's way too early to start to think about what to build.

We also don't know what the requirements for node currency is for getting the Node rolling. You might only need a little bit of currency to get the Node rolling and 5% taxes might be needed. Or you might need a TON of currency so you set it at about 40% because the residents know that they will be off to the races with growth.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • BluehBlueh Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    edited January 2021
    0% taxation is theft. Id run freedomtown for mercenaries and pvp junkies who needs buildigs or a home just pvp. lol

No law major decided by pvp prowess Yes THE DREAM
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Same that I did in TERA, max taxes in a busy hub of the world and make $$$ for the best stuff. If you don't like it, then move out or siege me lmao
    Makinoji wrote: »
    Same that I did in TERA, max taxes in a busy hub of the world and make $$$ for the best stuff. If you don't like it, then move out or siege me lmao

Note to self no mayor for this guy :)
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

On that note though , I wonder if the mayor can actually pocket the cash or it's like in a town slush fund he can't withdraw.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Santanico wrote: »
    On that note though , I wonder if the mayor can actually pocket the cash or it's like in a town slush fund he can't withdraw.

I have no idea how it will really work, but I imagine that the money goes into a treasury where it serves as a resource that you can expend to build or improve things in the city, or maybe something that is drained over time as maintenance. Kind of like a combination of a resource and economic hitpoints. Once the taxes are collected, they are "spent" as far as the game is concerned, and it can't be withdrawn to distribute to people again. Though if your city gets sieged and sacked, then someone might be able to loot it.

Again, all just speculation on my part, but this is how I'd set it up.

Hhak63P.png
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2021
    20% at stage 1-3, 10% flat tax for everyone after that.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

It's in the "town's stash" and can only be used for the node.
    Node taxes

It's in the "town's stash" and can only be used for the node.
    Node taxes

Great to know, they're 1 step ahead of the trolls lol
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Come to Toastopia, where taxes are low for anyone who agrees to never wear pants in town!
    community_management.gif
    Come to Toastopia, where taxes are low for anyone who agrees to never wear pants in town!

Lol Toast, pretty sure you would raise mine if I took my pants off, or banish me haha
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Set taxes to high, spend it all on the military and subjugate all other nodes.
    Come to Toastopia, where taxes are low for anyone who agrees to never wear pants in town!

You’re trying to butter up prospective citizens.

Hhak63P.png
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In L2, with varying taxes in each territory, I would travel to the best territory to get the best price from the NPC.

In New World, I moved my crafting & sales to a different city when the city mayor raised the taxes to 15% in one city.

I can see mass migration if the Mayor does not maintain a competitive tax and mass in if so. But if too low, without knowing what funds might be used for, the place may remain stale with no progress.. So a careful balance!

• bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Atama wrote: »

You’re trying to butter up prospective citizens.

It's working.
    Toast for Mayor!
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm conflicted...
    I love that Toast is reasonable with taxes.
    But I like my pants...
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Toast! You kilt me!
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Im British its in my blood to tax people
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Sum12hateSum12hate Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Is it just a simple residence tax or can we tax trade goods? Also possible import export tax? If guilds can create personal halls tax that separately? I'm not going for mayor but a bunch of barely noticeable taxes sound like a good way to keep citizens happy and still have the income to develop the node
  • Nagash wrote: »

No taxation without representation!
  • Sum12hateSum12hate Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Behague wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

He represents dead people.. so I'm certain you do not want him collecting your taxes
  • CakeBanditJrCakeBanditJr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

SOLD! I'm joining you!
  • CakeBanditJrCakeBanditJr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Blair wrote: »
    10% and if I take a small break or unable to play for a few days I'm going to do a no taxation without representation event and make it 0%. 12% just after a siege to cover the repair costs and 5% for holiday events....I thought this throw a lot. :)

I like your idea :smile:
  • 25% tax for a few days, then bring it down to 12% for the remainder.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2021
    I'll run two accounts. Both will run for mayor. Both will accuse the other of planning to raise taxes too high, claiming the other is simply projecting.

Whoever wins will set taxes to 100%. I know, probably not possible, but to the max. And generally be an asshole, but still someone who focuses on building the town.

Meanwhile, the other account will seem like a genius for predicting this, and run a campaign against the Mayor-account. The other account will win next election and become a much more popular Mayor than he would otherwise have become. Someone to Trust! Nerror for Mayor 2023!
    Sum12hate wrote: »
    Behague wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

He represents dead people.. so I'm certain you do not want him collecting your taxes

The only certainties in this world are death and taxes. Nagash takes care of both simultaneously.

Hhak63P.png