Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Misinformation about monthly cosmetics

2»

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    In trying to work out the value of the packs, you guys are missing the actual point of them - to shows support to Intrepid.

That is their main purpose.
  • ShinasoShinaso Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2021
    Voyager plus = + 375
    Cosmetics = - 90
    9 Months = - 135
    Embers = - 125
    Alpha 2, Beta 2, Beta 1 = 375-90-135-125= 25

To me It is worth It, but that's just my opinion
    Im paying 90 supporting the project and you get cosmetics as reward
    c1f5df869c3428999290c2954317ec5f.png[/center]

• Vhaeyne wrote: »
    90Bubbel wrote: »
    i just feel like i had to ask, is there a reason why its so incredibly expensive? i understand having a paywall but needing to pay 375 usd if you want a costume seems insane to me

It's not, the 375 is for alpha 2, and all of that months extras.

After you buy the 375$ pack once, the shop looks like this moving forward.

2YYcwXi.png

i know that but you are missing my point, If i want to only get armor suit for example, im forced to spend 375 usd no matter if i want any of the other things in the pack or not, which is quite insane. why not allow people to just buy what they want from the packs?
  • MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    i just feel like i had to ask, is there a reason why its so incredibly expensive? i understand having a paywall but needing to pay 375 usd if you want a costume seems insane to me

2YYcwXi.png

i know that but you are missing my point, If i want to only get armor suit for example, im forced to spend 375 usd no matter if i want any of the other things in the pack or not, which is quite insane. why not allow people to just buy what they want from the packs?

This is what I was attempting to point out in my comment as well. I don't like that you have to purchase things you don't want in order to "unlock" a-la-carte options and I'm unsure why that's necessary.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • BigPapaBigPapa Member
    edited January 2021

As much as I want to have a positive outlook on things, the only reason I can think of is to gatekeep those items as to get people to pay as much as possible up front.
  • BigPapa wrote: »
    But you are surely aware that just because some items are cosmetic in nature it doesn't mean that everyone is okay with a cash shop? It would be far preferable if those cosmetics were earnable by doing in-game activities instead. If there was no cash shop, I would whole heartedly have no problem paying $60 up front for the box copy.

Fair point.

It seems like a stretch for a player to put their gameplay decision-making on whether the game has a cash shop or not ... but those players exist.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Ahh, got ya. I don't have a good answer for that. The month I bought the big pack, I was more excited about getting into an alpha than the cosmetics so I did not really have a chance to think about it from that prospective.

I don't know. I have to imagine it was done on purpose, but I can't think of a great reason for it. Maybe to ensure that anyone investing is serious about the game? Not sure.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • You are never 'forced to pay' anything. It is always your choice to pay. If you don't want to pay, don't. If you want to pay, pay.
  • BigPapa wrote: »
    Warth wrote: »
    Just look at it this way:
    Alpha 2 access gives you persistant access to the game for the duration of the alpha phase. Which might very well be 12-18 Months worth of game time in itself. If you merely had to pay subtime for the Alpha 2 Access, you'd probably have to pay equal amounts, while gaining no cosmetics.

I suppose that's a good point, however you have to keep in mind that it's a game under development, in other words it has very limited content and you would kinda have to stretch it to call it "fun" at the moment. Thus it is definitely not worth $15 a month to play in the current state. Heck, I personally wouldn't even play it for free. Maybe I would check it out over a weekend just to see how it plays at the moment, but that's it. I don't want to spoil the release experience with a very rough version of the game, and frankly I hope most people understand this and not ruin the game for themselves. Even if I bought a supporter pack, I would not play the game, I would just buy it to support the team... and maybe for some bragging rights later.
    You are never 'forced to pay' anything. It is always your choice to pay. If you don't want to pay, don't. If you want to pay, pay.

i don't think this is true.
    Taxes would be one of the obvious exceptions
  • It seems like a stretch for a player to put their gameplay decision-making on whether the game has a cash shop or not ... but those players exist.

Why is it a stretch? I think it's a pretty big deal for a game to be "democratic" rather than rewarding whoever is paying the most money. This is actually the idea behind subscription games normally. Everyone pays a flat fee, so everyone is on equal footing when it comes to the game's content, and the only thing separating people and rewards is time investment and skill.
  • MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You are never 'forced to pay' anything. It is always your choice to pay. If you don't want to pay, don't. If you want to pay, pay.

This is a non-argument and you know it.

No one is saying "forced" and meaning there's a literal gun to their head. Simply that to "unlock" the cheaper a-la-carte options of the store you need to spend a few hundred dollars first.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Warth wrote: »
    BigPapa wrote: »
    Warth wrote: »
    Just look at it this way:
    Alpha 2 access gives you persistant access to the game for the duration of the alpha phase. Which might very well be 12-18 Months worth of game time in itself. If you merely had to pay subtime for the Alpha 2 Access, you'd probably have to pay equal amounts, while gaining no cosmetics.

I suppose that's a good point, however you have to keep in mind that it's a game under development, in other words it has very limited content and you would kinda have to stretch it to call it "fun" at the moment. Thus it is definitely not worth $15 a month to play in the current state. Heck, I personally wouldn't even play it for free. Maybe I would check it out over a weekend just to see how it plays at the moment, but that's it. I don't want to spoil the release experience with a very rough version of the game, and frankly I hope most people understand this and not ruin the game for themselves. Even if I bought a supporter pack, I would not play the game, I would just buy it to support the team... and maybe for some bragging rights later.

i don't think this is true.
    Taxes would be one of the obvious exceptions

I meant that you have the decision to buy something or not. Intrepid is not standing beside anyone and holding their hands to buy something. It is always the decision of the buyer.
  • EloElo Member
    I'm a little bit off topic, but--- Has it been mentioned whether or not cosmetics will use up inventory slots?
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Elo wrote: »
    I'm a little bit off topic, but--- Has it been mentioned whether or not cosmetics will use up inventory slots?

I doubt very much if they would as some would have their bags completely full of cosmetics. I believe cosmetics can only be used by one of your characters as in you give a particular skin to one character and none of your other characters have access to it.

There is a lot we do not yet know about just how bag space and storage will work in AOC.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

2YYcwXi.png

Starting at a lower tier (even the lowest) also allows this.
  • IridiannyIridianny Member
    edited February 2022
    Hello friends, a quick clarification on the shop cosmetics.
    Is there an answer that satisfies everyone? Nope. And that's ok.

You can see what type of player you are using the Bartle test here: https://matthewbarr.co.uk/bartle/

ALL types of players should be accounted for in monetization and how it affects their experience.
    Pay to win affects one type of character, pay for cosmetics affects another. Box price affects none.
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited February 2022
    Iridianny wrote: »

You can see what type of player you are using the Bartle test here: https://matthewbarr.co.uk/bartle/

ALL types of players should be accounted for in monetization and how it affects their experience.
    Pay to win affects one type of character, pay for cosmetics affects another. Box price affects none.

If only it were actual pay to win and not simply a cosmetic.....

Box price affects far more people, in that someone may not have 60 bucks to fork out up front for a game they might not like after a bit. Meanwhile with no box cost, you only pay 15 bucks one month and you get the choice to carry on or not depending on your enjoyment. You literally get to experience 4 months of the game for the price of a box-cost game.

Just because you're able to pay those 60 up front, doesn't mean everyone can. tAke eVeRyoNe iNtO aCcOunt, smh
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

Your Bartle score is about as worthwhile as your horoscope.

If this game isn't for you because of the PvP, then play another game.
    If this game isn't for you because of the dynamic nature of the content, then play another game.
    If this game isn't for you because of the shop cosmetics, then play another game.

This is not hard. If the game isn't for you, play something else.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I know what kind of player you are.

A NECROMANCER! :o

Hhak63P.png
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Atama wrote: »
    I know what kind of player you are.

A NECROMANCER! :o

Detective Atama is on the case.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Cosmetic rewards for supporting Alpha and Beta.
    If you don’t want to support the game like that, it’s OK. Get what’s offered from actually playing the game after it releases.
  • KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    Dygz wrote: »
    Cosmetic rewards for supporting Alpha and Beta.
    If you don’t want to support the game like that, it’s OK. Get what’s offered from actually playing the game after it releases.

This is really the only take away here.

If having those cosmetics is THAT important to you, then you will find a way. If there is no way, then you're going to have to accept the fact it's gone.

I'll never get to eat a BBQ wing of a Dodo bird, despite having read they are delicious beyond compare. I could either go around and demand that we start cloning Dodo birds, spend millions cloning them myself or I accept that chicken wings are my current option available to me.
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    Karthos wrote: »
    I'll never get to eat a BBQ wing of a Dodo bird, despite having read they are delicious beyond compare. I could either go around and demand that we start cloning Dodo birds, spend millions cloning them myself or I accept that chicken wings are my current option available to me.
    According to this they didn't taste very good at all. The only reason they were eaten at all was because they were easy to catch (they basically just sat there letting you kill them since they had no concept of predators) and the sailors had no other significant source of meat on Mauritius.

One contemporary piece of advice suggested serving dodo meat flavored with mango, so that it can "taste like something". That's not very encouraging.

Hhak63P.png
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited February 2022
    Do you think the expression used to be that 'everything tasted like dodo,' until the dodo's went extinct, now everything tastes like chicken?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png