Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

MMO Mice Recommendations?

With all of the discussions on macros and hot keys... I would appreciate some MMO mice recommendations and possibly things to look for or to avoid.

sig-Samson-Final.gif

Comments

• Options
    VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I use the UtechSmart Venus Gaming Mouse. Very affordable compared to other options and I've had no issues with it so far (1.5 years).

I know that a favorite among the MMO community in general is the Logitech G600. Anytime someone brings up MMO mice, this one comes up the most. Good price as well.
  • Options
    vmangman wrote: »
    I know that a favorite among the MMO community in general is the Logitech G600. Anytime someone brings up MMO mice, this one comes up the most. Good price as well.

Ya, this^ Logitech in general is great. The Logitech G600 is wired, and the Logitech G603 is wireless, I just wish they had a rechargeable MMO mouse similar to the way the G903 recharges. For now, I use the G903. If they ever release an MMO Mouse with the recharging capabilities of the G903, I'll be switching to that. XD
  • Options
    CakeBanditJrCakeBanditJr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Logitech G502 Wireless Lightspeed mouse and an Azeron keypad :)
  • Options
    VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

That's not a proper MMO mouse. 12 buttons is the way to go.
  • Options
    I'd say it depends on how much you like to have extensive button options on your mouse, so you can split your movements vs. abilities accordingly! I personally rock Razer's Naga Trinity for MMOs, which has easily swappable plates on the side for 2 buttons, 6 buttons, or 12 buttons. Typically I leave the 12 button option on so I can get a full hotbar on one hand :smiley: just my preference though!

My regular ol' work mouse is a Logitech though, since it's nice and light - so I'd say decide what matters to you in terms of features, weight, shape, etc., and go from there! There are definitely a lot of excellent options out there, but it really all comes down to your own personal preference <3
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    What works great for me is a normal mouse with a few side buttons (I use SteelSeries rival) and then a Razor Taurus. It's a keyboard where I use thumbs tick for movements and all the buttons for the spells and what not.

Now this is for WoW classic where one use slot if spells and downranks spells aswell. I'm not sure how many spell we will have in ashes and how the action bars will be, so maybe the Razor Taurus is overkill.

I also know a lot of people that use a simple "fps" mouse and then use keys like 1,2,3,e,q,r,f,c,x,z, and so on to cast spell. And then you can have this with shift and control to get even more keybinds
  • Options

The mmo mouses is hard to use for some people since the buttons are so small
  • Options
    Size matters!
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    rikardp98 wrote: »

The mmo mouses is hard to use for some people since the buttons are so small

Me not being able to reach on the keyboard, but fingers too fat to use a mouse. Le cri.

2317d09af5c0cd0f974e45c64f167683.jpg
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited February 2021

Indeed, guilty as charged ... I use Logitech G600 series (wireless).

Might have to try it when release day gets closer. ;)
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Logitech G600.

I wont touch any mouse without at least a phone pad on the side. In the past I used a Razor Naga, but when my old Naga started to go, I had to buy a new Naga. The new Razor stuff is worst than the old stuff. The number one problem is that you have to have the Razor software installed now to make use of customization. The older razor stuff would allow you to save your customization to the mouse. Further more razor software will restart your PC without asking you when it needs to update. This makes Razor 100% unusable to me. To further complicate things the Naga has no middle click and binding one is not easily done.

The Logitech G600 is better in every way. It has a middle mouse button. Allows you to save key binds to the mouse, and does not constantly require updates that reboot your PC. It is also cheaper. One word of recommendation is to find a DPI you like and de-bind the DPI/profile select defaults on the mouse or use them for other keys. The DPI/Profile keys are right under your middle finger, and easy to miss click.

I have also had good luck with a "UtechSmart Venus pro wireless MMO mouse" I got for my laptop. I don't normally want anything wireless in my life, but it has been good for a little sub 50$ MMO mouse. I would still recommend the G600 over any mouse, but it does work.

I just would not recommend anyone play any online game without a phone pad on the side. Giving your thumb access to 12 keys is a big deal. I have even put thoughts into 3d printing my own MMO mouse using QMK to get 15 to 18 keys on my thumb.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2021
    @Vhaeyne,
    The Razer Naga has a middle click. I don't know why it apparently caused trouble for you. It is called scroll click on the options to rebind the middle mouse button in the Razer software. Perhaps you accidentally unbound that button. Every button aside from left click is fully customizable as any mouse or keyboard button.

Also, the Razer software has never forced my computer to reboot. I guess you had an option selected for that. The only similar complaint that I have is that the software does a short update check before I can use the mouse every time the computer starts.

I am pretty sure the keybinds are saved to the mouse. If I turn off the Razer software, I still have my most recent settings for keybinds and DPI. I just can't change profiles without the software.
  • Options
    MowabyMowaby Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I use a Logitech g pro wireless and a Corsair scimitar rgb.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    Razor Synapse gives me no issues. I don't even get the short update checks, I'm simply notified when an update is available and I get to choose whether to restart or not when the software updates. My Razer Naga Chroma has 19 Buttons that are programmable. I was fortunate to buy 3 Razer Naga Chromas when I dipped in because they are not available in most places now.

I do not like the new Razer Mice though. I don't like the adaptable thumb plates. I prefer solid builds and solid functionality. I do not know what I will do when my current Razer Naga Chroma dies though. I don't appreciate when my dogs pull the mouse off the desk onto the floor but I have little control of who lets my dogs into my office.

Edit: Spelling Mistakes.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    For me personally I have tried "mmo" mice with tons of side buttons but I always found the buttons too small and ended up pressing multiple buttons at the same time, which causes a ton of issues.

So instead I went the other route. I have a standard gaming mouse (the Steelseries Rival 310) and a Razer Tartarus V2 gamepad.

77d1ef618adb55c26d58b7d220c9c29d29b7b402.png

The main advantage of the gamepad as opposed to a normal keyboard is the added scroll wheel and d-pad for the thumb. Usually on a keyboard my thumb rests rather uselessly on the space bar, whereas with the gamepad there are far more things you can do with it. I control my character with the d-pad leaving more accessible buttons open on my fingers for my abilities. The added scroll-wheel can be bound to anything so I usually use it for target selection. It's very handy.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    ShinasoShinaso Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I use Logitech g502 Hero. 12 thumb buttons isn't confy for me
    c1f5df869c3428999290c2954317ec5f.png[/center]

• Options
    @Vhaeyne,
    The Razer Naga has a middle click. I don't know why it apparently caused trouble for you. It is called scroll click on the options to rebind the middle mouse button in the Razer software. Perhaps you accidentally unbound that button. Every button aside from left click is fully customizable as any mouse or keyboard button.

Also, the Razer software has never forced my computer to reboot. I guess you had an option selected for that. The only similar complaint that I have is that the software does a short update check before I can use the mouse every time the computer starts.

I am pretty sure the keybinds are saved to the mouse. If I turn off the Razer software, I still have my most recent settings for keybinds and DPI. I just can't change profiles without the software.

I have had three Nagas over the years. The two newer ones did not allow middle click easily last I had them plugged in. Trust me I did not abandon Razor lightly. I went threw quite a few mice trying to get back what was lost when my first Nagas scroll wheel died.

The two newer ones are also years apart. My first one was like a 2010 that is the good old one (with the broken wheel). The next one is from like the 2014-2015 era. The last one I bought was 2018. The newer ones are just not as good. You can't assign profiles the way you used to be able to. Synapse needs to be there to allow it. Middle mouse click is possible, but it is not easily done. I had to do some shenanigan's with another mouse to capture the middle click input, and use it as a macro .

Razor does force reset your PC when you update. I had it set to manually update. As I do with everything that allows the option. When you click update, it does its thing, but when a normal program would ask you if it is okay to reboot. Synapse just reboots. Which is annoying and surprising every time. GFX cards drivers don't even do that anymore.

The thing is... the G600 is like 40$ on amazon, and works nearly as good as the older better Naga. I have been watching Razor get worst and worst over the last decade. I used to be willing to pay a few extra bucks for a nicer experience that matched. Now I just use a hand wired QMK keyboard, and a G600.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    RhuricRhuric Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2021
    For me personally I have tried "mmo" mice with tons of side buttons but I always found the buttons too small and ended up pressing multiple buttons at the same time, which causes a ton of issues.

So instead I went the other route. I have a standard gaming mouse (the Steelseries Rival 310) and a Razer Tartarus V2 gamepad.

The main advantage of the gamepad as opposed to a normal keyboard is the added scroll wheel and d-pad for the thumb. Usually on a keyboard my thumb rests rather uselessly on the space bar, whereas with the gamepad there are far more things you can do with it. I control my character with the d-pad leaving more accessible buttons open on my fingers for my abilities. The added scroll-wheel can be bound to anything so I usually use it for target selection. It's very handy.

Thanks for this, I've just ordered myself that gamepad.

I've had the same razer naga hex 6-button mouse for years and years. I love it, 12 buttons are generally too small for my fat thumbs but the 6 buttons in a hexagon are perfect for me. I've also never had Synapse force restart my computer for updates. Mine always lets me know the update is done downloading and that it won't complete installation until I restart my PC.

Logitech is always a great choice, I've not used their mouse for gaming in probably 8~ years or more since I bought my Naga but I've never had any major problems with their products.

My current set-up is a Red Dragon mechanical RGB kb and my Naga mouse (and an xbox controller for being a couch potato)
    "Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, GLORIOUSLY alive, today."
  • Options
    LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited February 2021
    Neurath wrote: »
    Razor Synapse gives me no issues. I don't even get the short update checks, I'm simply notified when an update is available and I get to choose whether to restart or not when the software updates. My Razer Naga Chroma has 19 Buttons that are programmable. I was fortunate to buy 3 Razer Naga Chromas when I dipped in because they are not available in most places now.

I do not like the new Razer Mice though. I don't like the adaptable thumb plates. I prefer solid builds and solid functionality. I do not know what I will do when my current Razer Naga Chroma dies though. I don't appreciate when my dogs pull the mouse off the desk onto the floor but I have little control of who lets my dogs into my office.

Edit: Spelling Mistakes.

I had also heard bad things about the new Razer mice so I'm currently on my 3rd Razer Naga Hex v1 (with the 6 side buttons). The second one I was able to get on Amazon years ago and the third I just recently bought off of eBay totally unopened so I got lucky there. I am just praying that whenever this one dies, Razer is making higher quality mice again.

I really like the 6 button circular hex setup and I'm afraid to try a 12 button mouse so that leaves a lot of mice out. It seems like it would be too hard to reach most of the buttons and too easy to hit the wrong one since they're so compactly setup.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2021
    I like my razor naga and have been using them since they were released (~10 years ago).

I'm used to using a mouse so it's my preference but the gaming pad that Mist posted is more optimal in my opinion as it frees up a lot of your fingers and allows all movement to be controlled by your thumb. It takes some getting used to but it sounds like people really like it. You can obviously use both a mouse with a lot of buttons and the game pad but i don't think i have played a game where that is necessary since Darkfall.
  • Options
    cyanideinsanitycyanideinsanity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Add another to the G600 pile. Its the only mouse I've used since 2012 and I have no plans to change. The 12 buttons are setup in a W pattern making them more discernible, and the g-shift button is great as a modifier.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I have had mine for a long time. Highly recommend it. I like being able to set up multiple profiles for various games. Changing from one setup for Fallout 4 to Cyberpunk 2077 and an MMO is super easy and being able to change the binds in the editor makes it easier depending on how you want stuff laid out.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    CakeBanditJrCakeBanditJr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Says who? I'm willing to put money on the fact that I will run circles around you with my "non proper mouse". It has 9 programmable buttons. What more do you need expert?
  • Options
    Is it easy to circle a target with a Tartarus? I am considering a purchase but, if you can't strafe around a target I'll stick with my current setup. I'd get the Tartarus to go alongside my Naga Chroma.

By circle I mean always moving to stay behind a target...its my PvP style in duels and 1vs1 for when I'm Melee. I'm used to dual thumb sticks on controllers, not sure about a solo thumb stick.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    @Neurath the default button layout are the left side of a qwerty keyboard including wasd. You can use both the thumbstick and the buttons to do what you're asking
    "Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, GLORIOUSLY alive, today."
  • Options
    @Rhuric

Cheers mate, I have ordered a Tartarus V2. Am quite excited. The good news will be I can practice the use of the hardware during the testing phases to prepare for the live game. Love the options available!
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    A lot of talk about the Tartarus on here. I wish y'all the best of luck. I had a Orbweaver for about a month on my desk a few years back. I had it all set up right, no worries there. I just ran into a ME problem. Every time I would go to type my hands would end up back at WASD on my main keyboard.

Ended up just unplugging it, and throwing it in the closet. I thought about rebinding my keys to not using any letter keys, but I find that I have have more than enough key binds when I rebind QERTFGZXCVB keys.

Good luck.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    I'm enjoying it, played around a bit on WoW and tried some Tera (That one hates my comp). Wasn't in much of gaming mood today but it was great. Sat on couch, mouse on one armrest, gamepad on the other like I'm on a fuzzy throne. Glorious.
  • Options
    I've resisted for a long time, but, because I will be a support class, it will be nice to have my skills on my Naga Chroma and then navigate via the Tartarus, with the extra buttons allowing me to target team mates on the fly (If the option's available to program F Numbers to target team mates). Not sure how the setup will work with Hybrid Combat but if I can't run a decent setup I'll revert back to my current setup.

My main concern will be voice communications. I don't mind reverting back to my main keyboard to type in chat boxes etc. It will be nice if I can activate speech communications without taking up a key bind on my mouse (Often use middle mouse click on roller). I prefer to have weapon swap on middle mouse click on roller. Played MMOs longer than I had voice communications lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    MowabyMowaby Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Neurath wrote: »
    I've resisted for a long time, but, because I will be a support class, it will be nice to have my skills on my Naga Chroma and then navigate via the Tartarus, with the extra buttons allowing me to target team mates on the fly (If the option's available to program F Numbers to target team mates). Not sure how the setup will work with Hybrid Combat but if I can't run a decent setup I'll revert back to my current setup.

My main concern will be voice communications. I don't mind reverting back to my main keyboard to type in chat boxes etc. It will be nice if I can activate speech communications without taking up a key bind on my mouse (Often use middle mouse click on roller). I prefer to have weapon swap on middle mouse click on roller. Played MMOs longer than I had voice communications lol.

I just ordered one. There was something similar that I never used back when I played UO. I am going to give the keypad a shot now because I like my g pro wireless more than my corsair scimitar. I will have to see how it fits on my desk too...