Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

UI Customisation - What do YOU want?

Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
DISCLAIMER: I am making this thread as part of my own personal interest, not as a representative of Intrepid Studios.

Intrepid have said that the UI in Ashes will be fully customisable but they haven't said yet what exactly you can do with it. So, I'd like to know what kind of customisation options YOU would like to see.

I'm going to hold off on stating my own opinions until a bit later because I'm curious to know what the other community members think.
volunteer_moderator.gif

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd enjoy a player orientated mini map.

I like to put a hotbar with critical/proccing/etc abilities vertically right next to my character for quick CD Checks. If I'm a Bard.

Enlarged Ability/Buff/CD Icons. I have a big screen. Customisable Ability/Buff/CD Icons would be boss.

Would like the ability to display only HP in a group/raid if I'm a Healer.

I would love a customisable scalable scope for all aspects of the UI so I can run 4k but still read the information.

When In Active Combat Stance, I want tab targetted abilities to be greyed out. When I'm in Tab Target Stance I want Active Combat Abilities to be greyed out.

I want team members out of range to be greyed out. Little directive arrows towards their position would be awesome at the end of the team member frame.

I want active abilities out of range to be greyed out.

I might be able to think of more but I haven't slept and these are my current hopes.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I was already typing a list but then I realized : Just do it like FFXIV
    Seriously, when it comes to UI customization they hit the nail on the head.
  • Options
    MowabyMowaby Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Warhammer Age of Reckoning had amazing UI customization built into the game. You could move everything and hide anything you wanted to hide. There might have been resize too but I can't remember.
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    SWTOR's was so malleable that I honestly don't remember what the default UI looks like. Give that plz
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I want literally everything to allow me to resize, reposition, and recolor.
  • Options
    Maezriel wrote: »
    SWTOR's was so malleable that I honestly don't remember what the default UI looks like. Give that plz

Agree with this one. SWTOR let you move things all over the place. Don't know how feasible it is to implement, but that was nice.
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »

When In Active Combat Stance, I want tab targetted abilities to be greyed out. When I'm in Tab Target Stance I want Active Combat Abilities to be greyed out.

You'll still be able to use tab abilities in action mode and action abilities in tab mode, though.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well then, I can scratch one wish off the wish list. I thought the situation was like BDO Ascension/Non Ascension without the weapon swap. :)
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have said this before, but it is worth repeating. FFXIV has what I would consider to be the standard to beat when it comes to UI customization in a MMO that does not allow mods. Obviously with mods the sky would be the limit, and this conversation would not be important.

Everything needs to be, able to be nicely moved scaled and locked into place. Nothing should be mandatorily on the screen or combined with other UI elements. What I mean by this is if I move and scale my targets buffs/debuffs they should not be a set package. Some games combined things like this thinking that I would not want to do something common sense like make my targets buff in one spot and debuffs in another spot for quicker identification. Everyone does things differently. The DEVs need to be working under the assumption that everyone is going to move and scale everything all the time.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Lots of great input. I agree with FFXIV has good UI customisation for moving and hiding the different UI elements. However, I believe more can be done here, such as changing the text font, size and colour, as well as being able to decide which buff and debuff icons are displayed.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited February 2021
    I cannot believe I have not seen a bejeweled reference yet.

As for me, I'm pretty chill when it comes to customizing my setups, but having the control like final fantasy 14 would be really nice too.

Overall, if I could ask for something, I would like some font, color, and size controls for damage and healing numbers.

For font I would love a way to import options so you can really go silly with it, and a proper color wheel for fonts rather than a few basic options would be neat.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Resize, font size selection, drag and place/remove UI mode.
    Turn off/on settings for things like damage numbers roll, heal numbers
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited February 2021
    It'd be nice to be able to change the colour of the targeting crosshair and maybe even choose from one of several crosshair designs.

Absolutely no designated buttons or widgets on the main menu/overlay/HUD for the cash shop or log in rewards (in the unfortunate event they are added to the game), and the ability to turn off all pop-ups/notifications for such features. Those kinds of non-core game play features should placed within a menu, not on the main screen.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Not only the functionality.
    Ability to turn on / off various part
    Pre-sets
    Capability for parts to fade away or disappear when not relevant in area / zone / activity
    And style, style, style

I have yet to see an addon that is just blunt stylistically. Nil finesse.
    Did like New World UI clean and simple, not distracting but the compass and weapons could have been simplified further.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited February 2021
    Ok, so here is what I want.

All UI elements
    • Ability to set opacity of the actual information of the window (text for chat, ability icons for hotbars, etc) as well as set the opacity and color of the background of the window.
    • Ability to set these opacities to change based on what is happening.
    • Triggers that can be applied to UI elements should include receiving messages, entering combat, receiving a new buff or debuff, as well as simply mousing over the element. There are no doubt other triggers that would need to be added.
    • Ability to turn a window on or off based on the above triggers.
    • Ability to set the size of the element, and the size of the information in the element separately.
    • Ability to move any window to any part of the screen I wish.
    • Snap to grid functionality to allow players to keep things tidy if they wish.
    • Ability to tether one window to another, so that they can be both moved and resized as one.

Group window
    • Each group member has their own UI element, rather than one element for the group window
    • Ability to move group members as I see fit - if I want the tank to always be in the first spot in my group window, I should be able to do that.
    • Ability to move and resize each element of my UI window. If I want the tank to be a large UI element on the left of my screen, and the rest of my group small elements on the right, I should be able to.
    • Ability to show what information I want to see for each person in my group. If I only care about the HP of the tank in my group, and I put the tank in the first position, I should be able to set it so that I only see the HP of the character in position #1 if that is what I want.
    Raid window
    • Same deal as group window, just smaller versions.
    • For both group and raid windows, there should be a fairly easy to find way to reset back to standard, as people will make a mess of this.
    Hotbars
    • Ability to open up hotbars containing as many keys as I want, rather than always having to open new bars in multiples of 10 keys. If I want 18 buttons, the game should not require me to have 20
    • Ability to set hotkey shortcuts to individual abilities, rather than having to assign preset shortcuts to hotbars
    Chat window
    • Ability to set multiple chat windows, with multiple chat tabs.
    • Each chat channel should be able to be assigned to any tab or window
    • Ability to assign font, size and color to each chat channel as it appears in each chat tab. If I want group chat to be in small orange Ariel in one tab of one window, and large hot pink wingdings in another tab of that same window, more power to me.
    Buff/debuff window
    • These should be separate windows.
    • Ability to set which buffs and debuffs I want to see - this list needs to be able to be changed based on build.
    • Ability to chose to display or not display a buff or debuff based on who cast it on me. If an area has many mobs with weak poison debuffs and I chose to not bother showing that, this should not prevent me from seeing a poison debuff of the same type cast by a boss mob.
    • The best way O can think of to make the above work is to have the option to turn a buff/debuff on or off, or to go in and have a check against every entity that has cast that buff or debuff on you in the past.
    • Ability to highlight specific buffs and/or debuffs when cast on you, including the ability to highlight based on who cast them on you - as above.
    Quest window
    • Ability to show as many active quests in this window as I like - if that means I need to scroll through them, that is my business.
    • Ability to set a color and opacity to individual quests, quest types or quest states, as if they were individual UI elements.
    Map/minimap
    • Ability to share information via minimap with your group or raid, but also being able to form larger entities to share map information with (so that a siege of 250 people can all be working off of the same location data)
    • Setting locations, defining areas, placing grids, detailing routes, designating characters, these should all be things that can be shared on the minimap.
    I consider the above to be a fairly basic overview of what would be needed to consider an MMO's UI to be fully customizable, though I am not really taking in to consideration any kind of functionality the UI may have in relation to things like click-to-heal (which I hope isn't a thing in Ashes).

With this, I would set up my UI to be completely empty until I joined a group, raid or entered combat, though I would have a map and journal I could mouse over if I needed.

To me, that is the mark of a good UI. It should not display anything you don't want to be able to see, but should display everything you want to see, and when those two things change, the UI should change as well.
  • Options
    Would be nice if we had some save slots for UI per account so we could simply load them for alts instead of doing our modifications from start
  • Options
    rikardp98rikardp98 Member
    edited February 2021
    Noaani wrote: »
    Ok, so here is what I want.

All UI elements
    • Ability to set opacity of the actual information of the window (text for chat, ability icons for hotbars, etc) as well as set the opacity and color of the background of the window.
    • Ability to set these opacities to change based on what is happening.
    • Triggers that can be applied to UI elements should include receiving messages, entering combat, receiving a new buff or debuff, as well as simply mousing over the element. There are no doubt other triggers that would need to be added.
    • Ability to turn a window on or off based on the above triggers.
    • Ability to set the size of the element, and the size of the information in the element separately.
    • Ability to move any window to any part of the screen I wish.
    • Snap to grid functionality to allow players to keep things tidy if they wish.
    • Ability to tether one window to another, so that they can be both moved and resized as one.

Group window
    • Each group member has their own UI element, rather than one element for the group window
    • Ability to move group members as I see fit - if I want the tank to always be in the first spot in my group window, I should be able to do that.
    • Ability to move and resize each element of my UI window. If I want the tank to be a large UI element on the left of my screen, and the rest of my group small elements on the right, I should be able to.
    • Ability to show what information I want to see for each person in my group. If I only care about the HP of the tank in my group, and I put the tank in the first position, I should be able to set it so that I only see the HP of the character in position #1 if that is what I want.
    Raid window
    • Same deal as group window, just smaller versions.
    • For both group and raid windows, there should be a fairly easy to find way to reset back to standard, as people will make a mess of this.
    Hotbars
    • Ability to open up hotbars containing as many keys as I want, rather than always having to open new bars in multiples of 10 keys. If I want 18 buttons, the game should not require me to have 20
    • Ability to set hotkey shortcuts to individual abilities, rather than having to assign preset shortcuts to hotbars
    Chat window
    • Ability to set multiple chat windows, with multiple chat tabs.
    • Each chat channel should be able to be assigned to any tab or window
    • Ability to assign font, size and color to each chat channel as it appears in each chat tab. If I want group chat to be in small orange Ariel in one tab of one window, and large hot pink wingdings in another tab of that same window, more power to me.
    Buff/debuff window
    • These should be separate windows.
    • Ability to set which buffs and debuffs I want to see - this list needs to be able to be changed based on build.
    • Ability to chose to display or not display a buff or debuff based on who cast it on me. If an area has many mobs with weak poison debuffs and I chose to not bother showing that, this should not prevent me from seeing a poison debuff of the same type cast by a boss mob.
    • The best way O can think of to make the above work is to have the option to turn a buff/debuff on or off, or to go in and have a check against every entity that has cast that buff or debuff on you in the past.
    • Ability to highlight specific buffs and/or debuffs when cast on you, including the ability to highlight based on who cast them on you - as above.
    Quest window
    • Ability to show as many active quests in this window as I like - if that means I need to scroll through them, that is my business.
    • Ability to set a color and opacity to individual quests, quest types or quest states, as if they were individual UI elements.
    Map/minimap
    • Ability to share information via minimap with your group or raid, but also being able to form larger entities to share map information with (so that a siege of 250 people can all be working off of the same location data)
    • Setting locations, defining areas, placing grids, detailing routes, designating characters, these should all be things that can be shared on the minimap.
    I consider the above to be a fairly basic overview of what would be needed to consider an MMO's UI to be fully customizable, though I am not really taking in to consideration any kind of functionality the UI may have in relation to things like click-to-heal (which I hope isn't a thing in Ashes).

With this, I would set up my UI to be completely empty until I joined a group, raid or entered combat, though I would have a map and journal I could mouse over if I needed.

To me, that is the mark of a good UI. It should not display anything you don't want to be able to see, but should display everything you want to see, and when those two things change, the UI should change as well.

Yes please!
  • Options
    Everything should be movable, resizable and you should be able to change it's opacity.
    Also a way to enable/disable background and borders of UI elements and a way to have some stuff appearing/disappearing on certain conditions, being able to change the colors of UI elements will be nice too.
  • Options
    LordAdroLordAdro Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't believe I have seen this particular item yet, my apologies if I missed it.

I would be interested in being able to sort lists in the UI. Whether that be my party list, enemy list etc. Perhaps with options like health, distance, debuff, buff etc. So that we can call things to the top we need to pay attentionn to in that particular fight.
  • Options
    LordAdro wrote: »
    I don't believe I have seen this particular item yet, my apologies if I missed it.

I would be interested in being able to sort lists in the UI. Whether that be my party list, enemy list etc. Perhaps with options like health, distance, debuff, buff etc. So that we can call things to the top we need to pay attentionn to in that particular fight.

I've not seen an MMO that uses lists like this.

If Ashes does, then obviously they should be able to be ordered.
  • Options
    ImmortalmageImmortalmage Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would like a setting where all my chat events are saved to a text log on my computer. And a hide interface keybind so I can take screenshots without UI elements.
    7U1GDCU.png
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would like a setting where all my chat events are saved to a text log on my computer.

That is a path to DPS meters. I would not count on text logs being a thing.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Need a raid UI that looks clean and has necessary customizability for healers. Let us move/resize it, options to show HP/MP numbers and/or percentages. Have settings to track various things - maybe I want class colors to show, maybe I want to track certain buffs or debuffs on the target (I may want just specific ones, but not all), maybe I want the healthbar or the frame around it to turn a certain color when there's a cleansable debuff. Settings to use raid frames in parties. Setting to hide buffs/debuffs I decide not to track to keep it clean. Ability to move individual parties around in the UI (as opposed to moving the entire raid window). Focus target and target of target features.

Multiple hotbars that can be moved and resized individually. Really let me move and resize everything. Little things, too like customizing each UI element and offering specific choices for that UI element - for example on the various target bars you can give me options how to show buffs/debuffs (top, bottom, all or only mine, priority system for them, etc.). Other UI elements will need different types of options. Also let me hide certain UI elements. Let me move all the windows in game as well at will (and lock them if desired). So if I want to move my quest window, map, inventory, character sheet, etc. around on screen let me do it. Don't lock it to a spot.

Let me save profiles for keybinds as well as UI setup so I can import it on alts, or maybe for saving different setups for different uses on the same character.

That's all I've got for now.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Custom skins springs to mind.

Prefer also to have what ever mods somehow controlled off my pc.. With work, playing from different PC in different locations globally, really would like to be about to download, update and go.. Not fiddle around with 3rd party mod managers and sync data.
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »

Prefer also to have what ever mods somehow controlled off my pc.. With work, playing from different PC in different locations globally, really would like to be about to download, update and go.. Not fiddle around with 3rd party mod managers and sync data.

Hmm this is probably unrealistic but how would you all feel about being able to upload custom assets and graphical designs to your UI?
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »

All UI settings should be able to be saved both locally and on the games server, so you can use the same settings with multiple accounts, or with the same account on multiple PC's.

With enough customization, there should be no need for UI mods.
  • Options
    DISCLAIMER: I am making this thread as part of my own personal interest, not as a representative of Intrepid Studios.

Intrepid have said that the UI in Ashes will be fully customisable but they haven't said yet what exactly you can do with it. So, I'd like to know what kind of customisation options YOU would like to see.

I'm going to hold off on stating my own opinions until a bit later because I'm curious to know what the other community members think.

Honestly I think Intrepid the best move would be to hire a couple of the modding teams that made some of the popularui"s like elvin UI or bartender or any of the super popular ones reach out and talk to that community and see about maybe hiring them on to work on a ui
  • Options
    xydrassialxydrassial Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A damage meter :P
  • Options
    I want full buff/debuff tracking and displaying ability, so I can set up big popup icons when an important buff falls off.
  • Options
    Well in WoW there was a function were if an ability was out of range the ability would dim a little and light up when in range. Same thing happend when you did not have the enough mana to cast a spell. Also if be cool if when you were silenced or cced abilities would dim abilites that could not be used and only abilities that were lit up were lit up (not lit up just not dimmed). Really small game mechanic but very useful tool WoW in fact is full of this type of things really a lot of addons are not needed in that game could just use standard UI.

I like the clock wise circular count down really cool when cool downs are less than 20 seconds. But some cool downs are like 5 min and that case the clockwise hand that count down moves really slow and really hard to see when actuall comes of cool down like last 15 seconds. This could easily be fixed by lets say when the cooldown reached 15 seconds it would count down from 15 seconds that way not force to use numercal count down for all cooldowns.

Usually MMOs have one main Action Bar were you can page down or up well if you page down ounce or up that is possibly a two button sequence or three (page up, ability, page down) So you can go up and down fairly quickly giving you acces to two more bars fairly quickly. Rune Scape has two bars that can be paged down and up. So insteadof accessing two bars fairly quickly you can access extra bars really quickly. So if Bars are 12 blocks long and you have 2 of them that is 72 quick and fairly easy keybingings. Be pretty cool if ther was function that you could toggle that would make it so that ounce you page down hit ability the it automatical goes back to main action bar. In WoW this could be don through a macro.

Another function is to have a bar appear when a page button is pushed. Which is basicall a page up or down function but works this way. You push the Page1(1-10 depending on number of pages) button. After which the Page 1 bar appears above or below your main action bar and after ability is in the page 1 bar the bar just disapears.