Please change the name Cleric

pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
Honorable Citizens,

To be more in line with the naming convention for the 'Tank', I suggest the Cleric be renamed to 'Healer'.

Also, to further hold true to the history and culture of Vera, class archetypes that focus on damage should be renamed 'DeePeeEs'.

Thank you.
«13

Comments

  • Ranger should be "Ranged DeePeeEs".
    CctsKnC.png Verra-similitude
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    Please change the name Mage to Pew Pew Laser Laser.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Rogue can be "Gank"....
    CctsKnC.png Verra-similitude
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited February 15
    Well until we know more you are correct, Cleric does not make sense as a name for a healer role such as this. it is too broad and not all clerics in fantasy are about healing people. From the wiki we can see that clerics might not even be connected to worshipping gods, meaning your attempt at a "goofy" post is actually valid.

    Cleric has canonically been "one who uses the magic of the gods they worship." However there is no mention of gods in their description. Even if this were the case, not all gods are about healing, yet the cleric is the healer archetype.

    I agree, lets just turn it into healer to make things simpler.

    Edit: Also, healers are all over our history and much more of a common term used than tank so it fits quite well and can easily be explained via lore.
  • Can we stop this shit?
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited February 15
    Sathrago wrote: »
    I agree, lets just turn it into healer to make things simpler.
    I disagree.

    To me, rather than looking at the class as it would be if it is your primary archetype, I've been looking at them as if they were your secondary.

    Each secondary archetype will add four lines of augments to your primary archetype. While it is almost guaranteed that one of those lines for clerics will be healing, it is also likely that one will be additional damage against undead. What the other two are is obviously up for speculation (as is whether these two will exist or not).

    The point is, while it may make sense to call clerics healers instead when they are the primary archetype, that doesn't really hold true when they are the secondary archetype.

    Cleric, on the other hand, potentially works with both.
  • Merek wrote: »
    Can we stop this shit?

    People act less emotional about this argument than the cosmetics. I encourage this argument over the other.
    CctsKnC.png Verra-similitude
  • I agree 100% on this, "Healer" suits very well the archetype for healing people. And if you find this inmersion breaking you are a weirdo btw.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds
    Honestly, "Healer" works too. It has a meaning outside of the MMORPG role. Even in real life, those who help with injuries and illnesses are called "healers".

    I don't think it needs to be changed, since the lore is that Clerics are members of a religious order (a Clergy) so it fits. But "Healer" is just as good, maybe better.
    U752vHP.png
  • Atama wrote: »
    Honestly, "Healer" works too. It has a meaning outside of the MMORPG role. Even in real life, those who help with injuries and illnesses are called "healers".

    I don't think it needs to be changed, since the lore is that Clerics are members of a religious order (a Clergy) so it fits. But "Healer" is just as good, maybe better.

    It does not fit yet. Clerics have not been described as religious figures in ashes of creation. Meaning there is no lore reason to believe they are actual clerics of a god, and ashes is breaking convention if that is the case, just like tank is.
  • akabearakabear Member, Founder
    edited February 15
    This thread only has 10% of the view and posts as the tank thread.

    One more useless post just to help name changing Cleric on its journey to be a valid contender to take Tank away from the limelight.

    I`m totally up for changing cleric to, let me see now, hmmm how about cleric.
  • We need to do one for "Rogue" next.
    Daveywavey-member.png
  • Oh yay...another one. I am ecstatic at the great and useful arguments people will provide. Looking forward to the amazing alternative names that will fit the lore... that they don't know.... or have read.... Or even care about (honestly most people complaining are PvP-focused it seems)
    Let's just not give them names perhaps. Let's define them by their weapons. Oh wait. We can't. Cos you can choose any weapon. Gee what a pickle....
    55bSigult2.png
  • There was a good suggestion on the Discord for an alternative name for the Bard: "Singy Boi"
    Daveywavey-member.png
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    There was a good suggestion on the Discord for an alternative name for the Bard: "Singy Boi"

    What about... "Warcry Baby"
    CctsKnC.png Verra-similitude
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Merek wrote: »
    Can we stop this shit?

    'Healer' was used as a bona fide 'role' title in our world since the 12th century. Its simple and descriptive, which was generally the whole idea of role/profession title.

    In an agrarian based fantasy world such as Vera, it is most suitable.
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Asgerr wrote: »
    Oh yay...another one. I am ecstatic at the great and useful arguments people will provide. Looking forward to the amazing alternative names that will fit the lore... that they don't know.... or have read.... Or even care about (honestly most people complaining are PvP-focused it seems)
    Let's just not give them names perhaps. Let's define them by their weapons. Oh wait. We can't. Cos you can choose any weapon. Gee what a pickle....

    I like pickles. Them tiny polish ones are positively scrumptious.
  • Changing the 'Cleric' Tag would mean all of the below would have to be changed too:

    Apostle: Cleric-Tank
    High Priest: Cleric-Cleric
    Oracle: Cleric-Mage
    Protector: Cleric-Ranger
    Scryer: Cleric-Bard
    Shadow Disciple: Cleric-Rogue
    Shaman: Cleric-Summoner
    Templar: Cleric-Fighter

    Quite clearly, Cleric is a Damage/Heal Class which relates to Holy Magic.
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Neurath wrote: »
    Changing the 'Cleric' Tag would mean all of the below would have to be changed too:

    Apostle: Cleric-Tank
    High Priest: Cleric-Cleric
    Oracle: Cleric-Mage
    Protector: Cleric-Ranger
    Scryer: Cleric-Bard
    Shadow Disciple: Cleric-Rogue
    Shaman: Cleric-Summoner
    Templar: Cleric-Fighter

    Quite clearly, Cleric is a Damage/Heal Class which relates to Holy Magic.


    Its place in the holy trinity is a Healer.
    The ability to throw a rock or crack a goblin over the head with a magical stick is irrelevant.
  • NeurathNeurath Member
    edited February 15
    So by your logic, Bard should also be called Healer and Summoners should be called support? Your logic is flawed because Bards can heal and Summoners can heal too. Lets just amalgamate the classes and have 6 classes. Sounds legit.
  • Gentle SnowGentle Snow Member, Braver of Worlds
    Unlike Tank, Healer would not seem out of place it genuinely sounds like a way to refer to someone who heals others. Tanks on the other hand.....
  • Cleric = healer
    All Healers =\= cleric

    There is so much more to healing that the "holy power of the god" and holy light.

    And from the animations we have seen of the cleric, all spells uses the standard golden light to show that it's a heal of the holy power.

    Would love to see a healer in ashes that doesn't follow the standard priest/cleric healer. Maybe the secondary archetype will give me the variations I'm looking for.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack
    Clerics are the main healers
    Bards are the secondary healers + support

    However, Clerics can build into a Death Spec and be a damage dealer.

    So Cleric being renamed to Healer wouldn't work.
    27eAoL8.png
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member
    edited February 15
    On a more-serious matter, it's interesting that the Wiki doesn't state that Clerics will need to be of any religion:

    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cleric


    Yours truly will be playing a Cleric-main (I usually always play healers as a main toon, in any game), and I have to say that it's quite petty that you would carry over your "Tanks shouldn't be called Tanks" argument into this type of medium.



  • In my opinion it's only a partial thing, after lvl25 we are not going to see the name at all so I just dont get it why people are bothered by it so much.
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    edited February 15
    On a more-serious matter, it's interesting that the Wiki doesn't state that Clerics will need to be of any religion:

    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cleric


    Yours truly will be playing a Cleric-main (I usually always play healers as a main toon, in any game), and I have to say that it's quite petty that you would carry over your "Tanks shouldn't be called Tanks" argument into this type of medium.



    Petty? I do that to my cat.

    Its best not to take non-serious things seriously.

    A silly post bringing a silly name (not Cleric) into perspective shouldn't be met with rage, triggering, upset stomachs, or more than a wry chuckle.
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    edited February 15
    Jahlon wrote: »
    Clerics are the main healers
    Bards are the secondary healers + support

    However, Clerics can build into a Death Spec and be a damage dealer.

    So Cleric being renamed to Healer wouldn't work.

    And Tanks (agro hogging meat sheilds) can spec into damage dealers too, can they not?
    And so that would also disqualify Tanks from being pigeon holed/ gloriously titled as 'tanks', when in fact they can be not such.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty
    pyreal wrote: »
    Jahlon wrote: »
    Clerics are the main healers
    Bards are the secondary healers + support

    However, Clerics can build into a Death Spec and be a damage dealer.

    So Cleric being renamed to Healer wouldn't work.

    And Tanks (agro hogging meat sheilds) can spec into damage dealers too, can they not?
    And so that would also disqualify Tanks from being pigeon holed/ gloriously titled as 'tanks', when in fact they can be not such.

    Hard to tell until we have it but most likely, the tanks base kit will most likely be focused around cc and defensives, you know, tanking stuff.

    Clerics are described as being master of both life and death so half of clerics kit is the death side which is more damage/drain focused. Steven has brought this up in the past, that the cleric they have been testing is more focusing on the healing/life side currently but death component is also a big part of the class.
    smallerLizard.jpg
  • I don't see why we feed the troll. Thrice or more we have explained the Cleric is Damage/Heal. Still the nonsense continues.
  • NerrorNerror Member
    edited February 15
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Ranger should be "Ranged DeePeeEs".
    No! A ranger is not defined as someone using ranged weapons!

    A ranger is someone who works on ranges, usually protecting them. There are mountain ranges, forest ranges and rangelands for example. These rangers would typically be called forest rangers or mountain rangers in the first two categories.

    Rangers can also work on rangelands, which are are grasslands, shrublands, woodlands, wetlands, and deserts that are grazed by domestic livestock or wild animals. Types of rangelands include tallgrass and shortgrass prairies, desert grasslands and shrublands, woodlands, savannas, chaparrals, steppes, and tundras.

    I think this topic about naming rangers merits its own long thread.

    To name a couple of famous rangers, we have
    1. Strider, aka Aragorn. He's certainly not defined by his ranged weapon usage.

    2. We have Walker, Texas ranger. He's using his gun a lot, sure, but what does he do in the first pilot episode of the show? Kicks ass in a bar fight! No ranged weapons.
Sign In or Register to comment.