Weapon naming

Not sure if this will be a thing, but I just thought it would be neat if when we make a powerful weapon and complete it with enchants or whatever - that then we should be able to name the weapon.
sparrow.png

Comments

  • The "Totes Awzomz Sword of Daveywaveynezz".

    We'll start the bidding at 15million gold.
    Daveywavey-member.png
  • VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Founder
    Allowing players to name anything in a MMORPG will always have disastrous results.

    I don’t want to have to buy John’s long **** sword from the market.
  • JudethJudeth Member
    edited February 22
    VmanGman wrote: »
    Allowing players to name anything in a MMORPG will always have disastrous results.

    I don’t want to have to buy John’s long **** sword from the market.

    Once they name the sword it could become bound to the player. So the only people who would really see the name is the player themself. One way or another we will have people who abuse the naming system, even character names are going to be ridiculous.

    Edit: I'd prefer it not be bound, because as someone who takes RP kind of serious I'd want to be able to sell weapons with sick names.

    I just think it's a nice way to become more attached to your gear. For example, my boyfriend made me a bow on Runescape - and it made me think it would be nice to be able to craft some powerful weapon and name it something like "Lover's Demise". Kind of corny, but would be pretty cool.
    sparrow.png
  • VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Founder
    Bound to the character or not, you would still be able to see items with obscene names by inspecting people.

    It’s a cool idea, but it would very difficult to keep it clean and enforced.
  • Maybe to avoid out-of-genre ridiculous names, players can choose between predetermined fantasy-based Prefix / Suffix words, in order to piece together what the Weapon's name will be?

    Something similar to this was done in Final Fantasy 11, with naming the Chocobos that were raised by players themselves.


    Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

    Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

    “That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

    -HPL
  • I didn't think you could inspect people. Hence why we get those buffs instead.
  • VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Founder
    Neurath wrote: »
    I didn't think you could inspect people. Hence why we get those buffs instead.

    @Neurath You can definitely inspect people. Those buffs are there to show you what the enemy is wearing at a quick glance without you having to inspect them.
  • Last I heard Steven called 'Gear Inspections' 'Elitist' and would result in 'Raid Expulsion'. Then, we got Jeff saying it might be a toggleable option but in a 'PvP Game' it would be 'inappropriate' for players to 'Inspect other players.'

    Can you show a reference to a recent decision where these two statements were overturned?
  • VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Founder
    @Neurath actually you’re right. I had forgotten about that conversation. Maybe because it doesn’t make sense.

    The elitist behavior will still be there because people will either request that you toggle on the inspect option or send them a discord screenshot for a group invite. Not allowing the inspect option will not change the elitist behavior, but that’s another conversation.
  • Yeah, no worries man. I was referring to a 2017 Forum Thread and feared the information wasn't current. I agree the measures won't stop elitist behaviour but there's no point in dragging up old arguments at this point lol.
  • VmanGman wrote: »

    The elitist behavior will still be there because people will either request that you toggle on the inspect option or send them a discord screenshot for a group invite.

    Man... If I was interested in joining a group, but they required that level of extra work beforehand, just to prove my 'worthiness' ... I would tell that group to piss-off. And go find a friendlier crew.


    Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

    Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

    “That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

    -HPL
  • Man... If I was interested in joining a group, but they required that level of extra work beforehand, just to prove my 'worthiness' ... I would tell that group to piss-off. And go find a friendlier crew.

    The issue remains that crafted gear will match best in slot. Crafted gear can be bought. Gear Inspections won't mean anything at all in determining a player's capability. I didn't mean to bring up the old arguments but sometimes the old arguments can't be avoided.

    To the OP: I do think Item Names would be cool but difficult to implement. It would be hard to locate items on the Auction Houses but personal Merchants would be simpler. I'm not opposed to the notion but I'm not sure the devs will implement it.
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    The "Totes Awzomz Sword of Daveywaveynezz".

    We'll start the bidding at 15million gold.

    I'll offer 3 copper.

    All jokes aside, I would be against weapon naming outside of veeeeeeery limited and rare weapons. Be they drops or mastercrafted.

    What I wouldn't mind is certain weapons earning a name through in game actions. Say you slay a certain amount of players, you get the Widow's Wail name. You dealt most of the damage to that super tough raid boss, you get Bane of "name of the raid boss".

    Stuff like that feels earned and special. And let's be honest, we don't want everyone naming their weapon wit uber-edgy names. If you wanna do it for RP reasons? no need to have the name show up on the item itself.

    Plus we're likely to change weapons so often, that having a gajillion new names for every weapon on the server, it's to going to weigh on the servers and cause issues on other stuff.
    55bSigult2.png
  • Yeah, I would need a rapier and name it "Needle".

    Naming all weapons would be a silly idea. However! Naming epic/legendary weapons that are crafted should be a thing. That is such a unique and cool idea! The crafter can get the materials together and ask the buyer what they would like it called to raise the value a bit. Or they an just name it "Epeen" or "Over9000" or any assortment of inappropriate name and I would be cool with that.
  • CujoCujo Member
    It's not good for the game.
  • Asgerr wrote: »
    All jokes aside, I would be against weapon naming outside of veeeeeeery limited and rare weapons. Be they drops or mastercrafted.
    Khronus wrote: »
    Naming all weapons would be a silly idea. However! Naming epic/legendary weapons that are crafted should be a thing.

    I was only ever referring to mastercrafted weapons. The idea is to hopefully give the player a better connection to their gear - so of course low grade gear wouldn't have a name when its going to get swapped out eventually. Plus naming a bronze sword something like "Deathbringer" would just be ridiculous. As someone who loves life skilling and wants to be a master crafter, I would love to give cool names to my best weapons. Something that would have so much work put into it deserves a name.


    Neurath wrote: »
    To the OP: I do think Item Names would be cool but difficult to implement. It would be hard to locate items on the Auction Houses but personal Merchants would be simpler. I'm not opposed to the notion but I'm not sure the devs will implement it.

    If it were implemented, then it shouldn't be a problem on the AH because the weapon would still have the same weapon name, only on its description would you see the name given to it.

    Plus they could always make such weapons binded to the player, this would bother me though if I wanted to craft such a weapon for someone, but it could also have a trade limitation.
    Khronus wrote: »
    The crafter can get the materials together and ask the buyer what they would like it called to raise the value a bit.
    ^ This is the sort of thing I'd like to see.

    Or another interesting idea would be to make them spirit type weapons, where giving a legendary weapon a name unlocks special stats/abilities. Though i'd prefer just giving them names.

    They have spirit weapons that you give a name to in Mabinogi, which is an old mmorpg, so I don't think any of this is that crazy. I think we need to raise the bar a bit for future mmorpgs. It's supposed to be like a fantasy world we can escape into - but we've always been so limited and I've always felt like there could be more to every mmorpg I've played. Plus I'm tired of all these copy pastas, if we ever want to see this genre reach it's potential we need to push for more. I'd be fine with a game with simpler mechanics, but more features that make the game feel more alive. Sorry for going on a tangent, I'm just okay with being disappointed as long as the bar was higher than we've gone before; because that means we will continue to grow.

    sparrow.png
  • I'm a romantic, so I'll give you my personal take on the matter, with a dash of poetry! B)

    I do not need to be able to name my weapons.
    A fun question among Japanese game enthusiasts is, if you could be any character in a common RPG, who would you want to be?

    I answer, "A sword smith who makes the swords used by brave."
    And I don't particularly want to give a name to that sword.
    Just "the sword used by the brave" is fine.
    When the hero destroys evil, I am satisfied if there is just one person who knows that I am the person who made the sword that he wielded.
  • akabearakabear Member, Founder
    Whist not into naming a crafted item, I see no issue of branding an item with the crafter`s name.
    Great for business and reputation.
  • I'm all for being able to name crafted legendary items. Just put some standard naming restrictions on it, as I assume there'll be naming restrictions for characters & guilds anyway. And~ crafters should know that overly weird names would depreciate the item's value, and if they still choose to do so anyway, then let them. It's a choice.

    Also, I think the idea of being able to acquire a recipe of "Frostmourne" and then mass-manufacture it seems weird. It would probably make more sense if we acquire a recipe of "Legendary frost/shadow 2H sword", craft it, and then name it "Frostmourne"
  • MowabyMowaby Member
    edited February 23
    What if powerful items already have a name?
  • Mowaby wrote: »
    What if powerful items already have a name?

    That is dumb, I hate when MMOs do this. Am I really to believe that I have the same sword as everyone else in town during current patch?

    It don't make me feel special or powerful.

    If a player made a named sword. Then dropped it in PvP or something. That would be a sweet trophy. Like taking some ones ear in diablo, but somehow taking a named weapon of theirs might feel more personal.

    As for the dumb names players give shit. It is less of a big deal to me when they are naming a single item vs a whole town.
    CctsKnC.png Verra-similitude
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Mowaby wrote: »
    What if powerful items already have a name?

    That is dumb, I hate when MMOs do this. Am I really to believe that I have the same sword as everyone else in town during current patch?

    It don't make me feel special or powerful.

    If a player made a named sword. Then dropped it in PvP or something. That would be a sweet trophy. Like taking some ones ear in diablo, but somehow taking a named weapon of theirs might feel more personal.

    As for the dumb names players give shit. It is less of a big deal to me when they are naming a single item vs a whole town.

    What if you aren't special?
  • Mowaby wrote: »
    What if you aren't special?

    That is the point! I don't want to be.

    The whole argument people use to justify named item drops in MMO's is that they want special items from the lore to feel connected to the world and feel special. I have always thought this is stupid. I would rather there be one of each named item in the lore that can be fought over. Which looks like it is the direction Ashes is going.
    CctsKnC.png Verra-similitude
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Mowaby wrote: »
    What if you aren't special?

    That is the point! I don't want to be.

    The whole argument people use to justify named item drops in MMO's is that they want special items from the lore to feel connected to the world and feel special. I have always thought this is stupid. I would rather there be one of each named item in the lore that can be fought over. Which looks like it is the direction Ashes is going.

    Ok I failed to understand your argument. I agree with you. I don't think many items should have a special name. Just like in some popular book and movie/tv series. There are only a few weapons that deserve a name.
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited February 23
    Mowaby wrote: »
    Just like in some popular book and movie/tv series. There are only a few weapons that deserve a name.

    When they do, it tends to be because they were from a particular crafter. In LOTR, it tends to be when a special Elf has made it. In Norse mythology, something made by the dwarfs in Svartalfheim usually has a name.

    If they are going to introduce item naming, would it make sense for it to be a Master Crafter perk?
    Daveywavey-member.png
  • akabearakabear Member, Founder
    daveywavey wrote: »
    If they are going to introduce item naming, would it make sense for it to be a Master Crafter perk?

    Agree, that if any form of naming is introduced that it is still reserved for the highest tier so that names are still unique.

  • It would be nice if Scribes could make weapon tags of differing rarities.
    A uncommon weapon tag would let you give your uncommon weapon a nickname that would be displayed as the main name with its true name in grey right after it.

    Example:
    Nagash's Folly (Ironwood Greatstaff)
    Staff
    Attackspeed - 3.6
    Damage - 300-350
    KkvMmA5.png
  • Damokles wrote: »

    Example:
    Nagash's Folly (Ironwood Greatstaff)

    Haha! Nice one Damokles :lol:


    Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

    Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

    “That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

    -HPL
  • Damokles wrote: »
    Example:
    Nagash's Folly (Ironwood Greatstaff)
    The only thing worse than a vampire, is a vampire in the service of Nagash

    I personally am fine with naming weapons, no matter how silly it is. Think of all that silly and ridiculous nicknames people give their friends, enemies, vehicles and favorite toys; if giving a silly name to a weapon in a fantasy game is immersion breaking for you, then you simply don't Human.
  • Torialis wrote: »
    Damokles wrote: »
    Example:
    Nagash's Folly (Ironwood Greatstaff)
    The only thing worse than a vampire, is a vampire in the service of Nagash

    I personally am fine with naming weapons, no matter how silly it is. Think of all that silly and ridiculous nicknames people give their friends, enemies, vehicles and favorite toys; if giving a silly name to a weapon in a fantasy game is immersion breaking for you, then you simply don't Human.

    I make your words my ty
Sign In or Register to comment.