Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I got a class assignment for all y'all...

Will you please recommend a website-hosting service that would actually add value to the guild I am building? I've done the searches but I don't believe the reviews of "advertisement blogs" that are everywhere. Thx.

The Dark Alliance is building the Tulnar Civilization on our server!

[NA] [18+] - We need EVERYONE!

If you want in, send me a message!

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Just use Discord.

I ain't never seen a guild use it's website for anything more than something for a few of the officers to ticker with in there spare time. Eternally convinced if they get the next feature online people will use it.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    Websites for guilds are mostly useless nowadays.
  • Options
    HellfarHellfar Member
    edited March 2021
    Despite the general trend towards Discord these days, guild websites can still be a powerful tool depending on your goals. What are you trying to accomplish?

Guild websites are excellent for brand building. It lets you state your goals for the guild as a whole, the direction you're taking, and so on. Forums are also a great tool that can be used as a knowledge base, where guild members can post guides and other helpful information. It's also great if you plan to have a recruitment and application process. Also, not to mention guild event calendars! This is where Discord falls short.

Discord is a great tool for connecting with your guild mates while you're offline, but in the end it is not meant for information storing, brand building or organization in general. It's just a large chat room.

So it still just depends on the direction you're trying to take. I like to lean more towards guilds that have an organized and active website because I enjoy that aspect of a guild community and all the benefits it brings. Having just a Discord is fine too, but it doesn't really bring much to the table.

As for guild hosting sites, Enjin and Shivtr are probably the most popular so you could start there. If you're looking for more customization, you could try Wix or look into creating you're own.
  • Options
    VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Hellfar Discord can do all of that very well.

You must have never been part of a guild discord with a good setup. Literally, everything you described can be accomplished flawlessly on a discord server.
  • Options
    HellfarHellfar Member
    edited March 2021
    VmanGman wrote: »
    @Hellfar Discord can do all of that very well.

You must have never been part of a guild discord with a good setup. Literally, everything you described can be accomplished flawlessly on a discord server.

Like I said, it's personal preference. I just simply prefer the cleaner layout of a website rather than a chat app. Just giving the OP some options.

In fact I support using both a website and Discord in tandem as they can feed off of one another.
  • Options
    @Hellfar That’s fine, but you’re misunderstanding what Discord is. It’s much more than a chat app. A well set up Discord channel is at least as good as a website.
  • Options
    @Hellfar That’s fine, but you’re misunderstanding what Discord is. It’s much more than a chat app. A well set up Discord channel is at least as good as a website.

If that's the case, then I suggest you go into more detail, or provide direction to a good source so the OP can benefit.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Ya, web sites are old school and not needed. Discord is your best bet
  • Options
    @Hellfar I’ve never owned a guild discord channel or helped setup one. However, I am part of guilds and alliances that have very in depth and useful discord channels that are as good as any website I have ever seen.

I don’t have more information on how to do it. I can only state that I have seen it happen and that it is possible. I’m sure plenty of information can be found online on how to setup such a channel.
  • Options
    CriminalCupcakeCriminalCupcake Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Saying discord is equivalent to a website is like saying non meat patties are still beef... I too agree that a good website can show off a lot more than a chatting hub thats been glorified for the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    @CriminalCupcake It offers the exact same functionalities (and more) that a guild website would offer.

I’m not saying that it can replace other types of websites... I’m just saying that it can perfectly replace a guild website and it makes sense to replace it since everyone is on discord anyway.
  • Options
    CriminalCupcakeCriminalCupcake Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @VmanGman saying 'everyone is on discord anyway' was Blizzard's excuse for Diablo on Mobile 'you all have phones right?'

Just because something is widely used for one thing, does not make it a good idea to incorporate all things. Worst counter ive ever heard.
  • Options
    @CriminalCupcake that is not the same thing at all.

Discord is a very good platform with very good functionality that can absolutely replace a guild website.

Phones are not able to replace PCs.

Your comparison makes no sense. Discord can do everything that a guild website can do and more. That’s just a fact. The fact that every one uses it as well is a big plus. And no it’s not the same as saying “don’t you guys have phones”.
  • Options
    ogreogre Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Namecheap has been pretty good for me when I’ve needed to host personal projects or online resources. Domains/hosting/DNS/whoisguard all for a fairly reasonable price.

You can spin up a free database on AWS(up to like 20GB) if I recall correctly) if you need one for whatever or use a Wordpress solution for forums etc. I’m sure discord offers a website plugin or widget that you can add to the site if you’re dead set on hosting a site for your guild, that way there’s a simple connection between the two platforms. A guild having a website is much more legitimizing than just a discord server imo as it can provide a cleaner way to access information than sifting through discord stickies/posts trying to find what you may want to know.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nice hellsing abridged reference
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old

Discord is a very good platform with very good functionality that can absolutely replace a guild website.

Your comparison makes no sense. Discord can do everything that a guild website can do and more. That’s just a fact. The fact that every one uses it as well is a big plus. And no it’s not the same as saying “don’t you guys have phones”.

"The fact that every one uses it as well is a big plus."

Not everyone uses Discord.
    Everyone uses browsers.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    pyreal wrote: »

"The fact that every one uses it as well is a big plus."

Not everyone uses Discord.
    Everyone uses browsers.

Discord can be used in a browser....
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The tagging and push notifications make discord a convenient way to organize people and get them playing together. My guild has tags set up for different games as well as roles in games i.e. tanks, dps, etc. It creates an easy way to notify people of whats going on.

A group of people about to play some guild wars2, @gw2 and i get a message on my phone telling me what's up. My guild need a more dps, @dps and i get a message on my phone that they need dps so i can ignore it <3.

I've also noticed that the livestream function in discord works well to bait curious people into channels.
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    Nice hellsing abridged reference

Sup.

/buys Nagash a beer.

Here's to us being so damn powerful that everything is just so...freaking...funny.

The Dark Alliance is building the Tulnar Civilization on our server!

[NA] [18+] - We need EVERYONE!

If you want in, send me a message!
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I personally don't go to guild websites.
    You want to tell me something put it on the guild calander or Message of the day. Send me a message on discord. You put it on the site odds are I'll never see it.
    Hell wen this goes live I might visit the forums once maybe twice a year but I wouldn't even count on that.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    OstaffOstaff Member
    edited March 2021
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Just use Discord.

I ain't never seen a guild use it's website for anything more than something for a few of the officers to ticker with in there spare time. Eternally convinced if they get the next feature online people will use it.

You haven't seen a correctly made website by a guild then :)

A good guild website will actually have tools and live maps for its members to use to enrich their game play and coordinate long standing strategies.

For instance, my Fractured Guild website has the following tools for us to use which is just not doable on discord:

Enchant System Finder - This tool allows u to see all combinations of materials that make enchantments of a certain tier. It also allows us to see what enchantments we can make with our current material list.

City Planner - This tool allows us to plan out our city layout and find the best placement methods as well as a blueprint on how we want our city to grow in the future. It also allows for alocation of plots and spaces within a timer asset (areas that take a material for hours or days) and notify when it is ready, who the material belongs to and what should be done with it.

Character Planner - this tool allows us to show our characters in full as well as create build guides for other members to review. It also allows us to play around creating characters while the game is not running or when we just can not load up the game but we can a browser.

Map - Real time interactive map that lets us see exactly when a PvP action is being taken upon one of our members as well as where the best bost spawns are, resource locations, and etc.

Barter System - System for trade outside of the game.

and etc...