Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Suggestion: Node Ruins?

Just something that I think would be really cool if it isn't already being worked on/talked about is nodes after a siege becoming a ruin for a period of time. It's just the thought of a sprawling metropolis just disappearing from existence after losing a siege would be a bit silly lol. For example let's say a city called Riverton is destroyed in a siege, instead of just disappearing from the map it'd be called The Ruins of Riverton and it'd be the crumbled remains of the buildings and locations of the city. Not only would it add a level of immersion but it's also a good opportunity for new kinds of content too, like the ruins become infested with bandits or wild animals, or gaining missions to search the ruins for hidden treasures, metropolis sized ruins could probably be enough to have their own raids maybe? I don't know much about game development so maybe it's a bit much, I just haven't seen much info about post-siege nodes other than they revert back to Stage 0 and I think it would be both a fun and immersive experience!

Comments

• Options
    TheBlazedAceTheBlazedAce Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Interesting concept, because yea, once it gets destroyed and reverted back to stage 0, will there be remains? Or will it just appear as if nothing ever existed there. Hm.

Not sure if this has been discussed before, maybe someone else has more info.

♥ In The Name Of Venus, I'll Punish You! ♥

source.gif

https://instagram.com/theblazedace/
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Intrepid considered leaving destroyed cities in the game as ruins, but decided against it for technical reasons.

I am unsure if they considered leaving the ruins for a short duration or not, but it is something they have considered.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah this has been already ruled out, in a livestream they said there are too many technical problems with it.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I guess the only hope would be that maybe they see a need for ruins as the alphas and betas progress.

It is a cool idea, I can't imagine that assets for ruins would be that hard to make out of existing buildings.

I hope it comes down to what is better for gameplay.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Noaani wrote: »
    Intrepid considered leaving destroyed cities in the game as ruins, but decided against it for technical reasons.

I am unsure if they considered leaving the ruins for a short duration or not, but it is something they have considered.

I hope they do for a short time and you can go and unlock bandit quests or something interesting until the node is expeditioned again
  • Options
    that'd be cool!

have the ruins remain for X amount of time as the ruins get regressed.

As an example
    have it slowly regress over the span of 2 weeks from burning rubble and ashes until full transition to stage 0
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    that'd be cool!

As an example
    have it slowly regress over the span of 2 weeks from burning rubble and ashes until full transition to stage 0

As others have pointed out, Intrepid looked at this and it caused too many problems with the world manager and how it looks at level zero nodes. Remember, once a siege is successful, the node is blasted back to zero. There is a two hour window during which other structures not in the node settlement can be attacked (ie. freeholds) after which, everything resets. Adding another timed expiry "special state" counter to an already complex system would just increase the number of possible glitches and bugs exponentially.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    that'd be cool!

As an example

As others have pointed out, Intrepid looked at this and it caused too many problems with the world manager and how it looks at level zero nodes. Remember, once a siege is successful, the node is blasted back to zero. There is a two hour window during which other structures not in the node settlement can be attacked (ie. freeholds) after which, everything resets. Adding another timed expiry "special state" counter to an already complex system would just increase the number of possible glitches and bugs exponentially.

very true! I do recall them mentioning of it. Like any tech, it needs to be thoroughly tested. It will be funny to see a node go "poof" back to stage 0 template in a blink of an eye, but how will it be handled on the engine and servers synergy? what kind of issues will that cause in performance for those in the area?

I'm assuming nodes construct over time from stage to stage, unless they just instantly transform when conditions are met?( enough resources and a construct button?)
    I've seen glimpses in videos of buildings in the node being constructed over time. but that is as far as my information on it goes to be honest :(

• Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's going to be such a disappointment see your metropolis razed.
    I can just imagine the bitter feuds festering in the ruins of the first raze, craving revenge.
    oboi
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It has been discussed many times, but it makes sense that it would cause a lot of overhead on the servers. Intrepid has said that it would be difficult to implement, so we probably will not see it.
  • Options
    depends how it is implemented, the way i see it is,

in a simple perspective:

if you can animate something being constructed, why not destructed?
    if you can code it to progress? why not regress?

I understand the potential tech difficulties and stress on the system it could cause with the changing of nodes stage drastically versus over time, but having it slowly burn away could potentially be less stressful as it gives the processing of it time to regress and adjust to the systems tech.

Interesting to see what they decide to do for it though :)
  • Options
    Aye - yours truly inquired about something like this, some time ago:

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/47145/would-memorials-be-fitting-or-would-fresh-at-zero-be-best#latest

The best result was the knowledge that the history of a node will be stored in its city hall's archives, or via a town library/education-related building; What has occurred in a specific node will NOT be lost to history - as there will be a record that players will be able to seek out, in-game!

• Options
    @Tyranthraxus that's a neat idea!