Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Season cycles

Seasons should stay longer than a week.

Comments

• Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited March 2021
    No, they shouldn't unless they are primarily cosmetic, which they aren't.
    Well maybe they should depending on what positive changes this would bring to the related game systems/mechanics

The matter of fact is though, that we don't even know remotely enough about that to have this discussion right now
  • Options
    All the more reason.
  • Options
    DesyncGamingDesyncGaming Member
    edited March 2021
    I would like to see it like this
    Different plants/monsters spawn in different seasons ( not all just some ) so there are some things u simply can't obtain in winter, summer etc. and someone who has planned for this can now sell for 3x the price for example keeping the market fluctuating and your decisions hold more weight. Players are forced to interact with others to find said items and not be single player hermits. The only down side i can truly think of is the Scenery becomes boring which i don't think is really an arguement as most MMORPG's remain stagnant permanently and its never really been an issue.

1 week rotation to me are too fast and don't really hold much weight other than cosmetic.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    1 week per season is fine.

If Intrepid want to have the type of gameplay you are talking about, they can accomplish that by having some harvestable plants only available in one season out of the year.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It means you get to see all the seasons in a month of play.

This is good because all of the flakes who quit after a month when they realize PvP is a major part of the game will at least get to see snow.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Ugh, I hate snow.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I believe not all zones will be effected by climate/seasons right ? Some will be constant?
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Ugh, I hate snow.

You can not sleep the other three weeks of the month, and sleep all winter week.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Ugh, I hate snow.

You can not sleep the other three weeks of the month, and sleep all winter week.

Seems valid.
  • Options
    I would like it to be 2 weeks, it creates more urgency to not let a season go without farming your stuff
  • Options
    Marcet wrote: »
    I would like it to be 2 weeks, it creates more urgency to not let a season go without farming your stuff

I'd be happy with 2 weeks instead of 1.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    It means you get to see all the seasons in a month of play.

This is good because all of the flakes who quit after a month when they realize PvP is a major part of the game will at least get to see snow.

is that really a good argument though? Why design something around those that will/have quit anyway at the expense of improved game systems/mechanics for those continously playing the game.

Seems rather idiotic to me
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    is that really a good argument though? Why design something around those that will/have quit anyway at the expense of improved game systems/mechanics for those continously playing the game.

Is it even a argument? Am I on the Factorio forums again?
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options

I think it’s clearly a joke.
    My take on it would be in favour of the 1 week per season. Reason being I believe if you have seasonal specific materials that are locked out for 6 weeks at a time, you’re going to develop a gathering rush for the resources every time they’re available. I’m not sure I like that play style, personally.

• Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited March 2021
    Ugh, I hate snow.

I'd be up for some major Rested XP come Springtime!

Anyway, hopefully if I'm in the equator region in a nice tropical node, I won't have to bother with snow. Silly soft stuff...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    BlipBlip Member
    1 Week is good, if you can get a resource ins summer then you have 3 weeks.
    Sell it the next week for the most profit too someone how don`t have it you can do the same every week and make coin.

It a good game play mechanic and makes things social and interesting.
    Also you pay for 1 month at a time in essence, only fair you get all the season in one sub period.
  • Options
    1 week seems to short for me. I like when it is snowing during the Xmas festivals.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Ugh, I hate snow.

humans are a tropical species as to why we do not hibernate.
    As for the Tulnar... well that may be a different story! Lol

I would agreed and say a week per season is more than fair considering how one biome could be getting 3 weeks of growing based on items like crop types.

Other biomes may have different growing conditions with specific crop types and related factors.

Where one biome lacks in organic production, they'll probably have an advantage with inorganic items.

This creates different reasons for players and guilds to develop nodes in different biomes with strategic positioning for development and trading.

• Options
    Biccus wrote: »

I think it’s clearly a joke.
    My take on it would be in favour of the 1 week per season. Reason being I believe if you have seasonal specific materials that are locked out for 6 weeks at a time, you’re going to develop a gathering rush for the resources every time they’re available. I’m not sure I like that play style, personally.

Indeed.

If the seasons were two weeks, that would compel Intrepid to have produce that is not available for one season, rather than produce that is only available for one season.

At absolute best, if seasons were two weeks long, they would have the rarer produce only available for two seasons, giving the game a four on, four off for that specific item.

With one week seasons, a one on, three off is viable.

Two on, six off simply is lt going to happen.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    @Noaani
    i'd like to see 2on/6off resources with singular biomes that always offer said resource. Like the center of the snowy biome/glacier always offering the winter resources.

That would incentivize travelling, the transport of goods and ind increase the uniqueness of certain biomes/nodes within it
  • Options
    @Noaani
    i'd like to see 2on/6off resources with singular biomes that always offer said resource. Like the center of the snowy biome/glacier always offering the winter resources.

That would incentivize travelling, the transport of goods and ind increase the uniqueness of certain biomes/nodes within it

while I could see this working, I would think the fact that the item is available all year round in some places, but is available everywhere some of the time wouldn't have that much of a price fluctuation.
  • Options
    I think 2 weeks is the sweet spot.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

while I could see this working, I would think the fact that the item is available all year round in some places, but is available everywhere some of the time wouldn't have that much of a price fluctuation.

Would the fact that markets being regional cause a large fluctuation in regions where the material isn't available for longer periods of time (or even never).

I'm starting to be more agreeable with the 2 week rotation if the materials are available still during all season just in very specific locations. It could very give the economy an interesting balance if people can caravan a material a long way to sell for potentially vastly more.

• Options

Would the fact that markets being regional cause a large fluctuation in regions where the material isn't available for longer periods of time (or even never).

I'm starting to be more agreeable with the 2 week rotation if the materials are available still during all season just in very specific locations. It could very give the economy an interesting balance if people can caravan a material a long way to sell for potentially vastly more.

My assumption with this is that there will be a good number of people on most servers that spend the bulk of their time in game on running caravans. If so, they will basically flatten the cost of resources between the major nodes.

• Options
    Since half this thread can not take a joke. Here is a real response:

I think it is great that I could just hold on to mats for three weeks and have the value of those mats go up a little due to scarcity. People seem to be worried about how the harvesting situation wont work for them because they want things instantly, but you could literally squeeze more out of the market just buying low and selling high. The potential for profit goes up even more if the goods are out of season and you sell them in a node that is not near those resources.

Just like... real life...
    Except things I don't think things spoil in Ashes. Something the food shipping industry spends a ton on that you would not have to.

One week, two weeks, three weeks per seasonal goods... It all sounds really good to me as long as its not less than a week. Too short would kill the profits.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    I agree that there is no point in disallowing a product for a single week - that isn't long enough to cause any market change - unless there is also a specific lifetime limit on said product.

But I also don't see a need for more than three weeks of not having a specific product - as not having it for that long will then start to eat in to the profits of the profession that needs it for finished products.

So, to me, some products being not available for two weeks and some not being available for three weeks is perfect.

Making this happen would require single week seasons.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member

My assumption with this is that there will be a good number of people on most servers that spend the bulk of their time in game on running caravans. If so, they will basically flatten the cost of resources between the major nodes.

Flatten the cost, but they won't ever be similar. If they were, nobody would bother running the caravan anymore.
  • Options

Flatten the cost, but they won't ever be similar. If they were, nobody would bother running the caravan anymore.

Materials will always cost more in locations other than those in which they are acquired, and I don't see a 2 week on, 6 week off with some regions able to produce it all the time really having any kind of further effect.

if you are in a region that can produce it for 2 weeks, you will sell it at the price it sells for during the 6 weeks it isn't being produced there. Before long, the people making it in the node and the people bringing it in will arrive at a point of balance, and both the supply of the product and the cost will be roughly the same year round. It may be slightly higher than it is in the nodes that produce it, but again, that is true of all materials.
  • Options
    Materials will always cost more in locations other than those in which they are acquired, and I don't see a 2 week on, 6 week off with some regions able to produce it all the time really having any kind of further effect.

if you are in a region that can produce it for 2 weeks, you will sell it at the price it sells for during the 6 weeks it isn't being produced there. Before long, the people making it in the node and the people bringing it in will arrive at a point of balance, and both the supply of the product and the cost will be roughly the same year round. It may be slightly higher than it is in the nodes that produce it, but again, that is true of all materials.

If there is a reason to constantly consume, like gear upkeep and consumables than supply will never stabilize especially with localized banking and markets. I mean even in WOW, as shitty as the economy is in that game. There is a clear price difference on BoE items and consumables on Tuesday(raid reset) over Sunday and Monday. This trend can be seen in almost any MMO with a Tuesday reset.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    Sorry my mind won't work atm..
    How would a player be able to trade the goods they caravan over?
    Would you have to caravan it to an economic node with an auction house, (or vassal of one) then the buyer has to caravan it to their own node? or.. if you wanted to take it to a non-economic node and take out the materials and try to sell them hand to hand, 1 inventory at a time? (unless you've got a lvl 3 licence from a economic metropolis, lol)

I can see a huge price fluctuation between local markets depending on how hard/dangerous it is to travel materials long distances. Especially if the materials are locked to specific zones for 6 weeks at a time.