Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Would it be good if downed state gets into Ashes?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    I disagree with having downed states in AoC because like other people have pointed out, we have dedicated healer classes, and if we have both healers and downed states fights would take a loooong time.
  • Options
    I, too, enjoy having a state with a very limited set of actions and a very slow move speed. Also, attacking a downed opponent is totally cool and fun :D
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't understand why anyone thinks extended loss of character control by the development team is a good thing or considered fun.
    The first time it happened to me in GW2 I was WTF.
    Then it got more and more annoying everytime after. Stand me up or let me go either way get your hands off me. I want to play the game not watch a 30 second cut scene of my toon doing the hep me hep me I've fallen and can't get up dance.
    All perception I'm glad they made a game you like but the system is trash all around.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited March 2021
    I don't understand why anyone thinks extended loss of character control by the development team is a good thing or considered fun.
    The first time it happened to me in GW2 I was WTF.
    Then it got more and more annoying everytime after. Stand me up or let me go either way get your hands off me. I want to play the game not watch a 30 second cut scene of my toon doing the hep me hep me I've fallen and can't get up dance.
    All perception I'm glad they made a game you like but the system is trash all around.

This is another example of the kind of argument I mentioned on the previous page.

You didn't like it because you thought it was something else, and were increasingly frustrated because it wasn't what you expected or were used to.
    Instead of accepting the game was not other games and that it has it's own mechanics, you got mad and blamed the game.

It's like going into Destiny and being mad the Warlock class doesn't summon a Voidwalker because you are used to WoW warlock summoning pets, and then complaining that the Destiny Warlock sucks because of it.

Edit: I will say your loss of control argument is a legit one though, and one I can agree with for the most part
  • Options
    Agreed on not expecting class design to be the same.
    I just don't think stun lock is a good game design.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    Agreed on not expecting class design to be the same.
    I just don't think stun lock is a good game design.

That's very true, I am of the opinion that stuns are one of the worst ideas game developers ever had. Loss of control of your character goes against the basic fundamentals of playing video games. That's not to say stuns can't be useful ever, just that a stun for the sake of stun is bad.

That being said, downed state is not a stun. You still have freedom of control. In GW2 you can cast your downed abilities with no down-time. You can't move like other downed-state games yes, but you're not stunned.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I disagree. Felt like a stun to me.
    I don't like special abilities while laying on the ground. Either let me respawn even if it is a long run back or let me play.
    I like CC's and soforth but the down system felt really really bad.
    I am glad others like that play style and some one built a game for them. Just the whole product was a disappointing mess to me. I really liked most of GW1 needed better crafting and to be open world.
  • Options
    I didn't like that system in Guild Wars 2 because it dictated the balance of the entire game. Plus Guild Wars 2 isn't exactly the same kind of MMO as this one. The goal when they made Guild Wars 2 was to remove the holy trinity of classes. This game is kinda using the expanded holy trinity from older MMO's.

1 way they used to get rid of the holy trinity was to make resurrection possible without a healing class. Thus the system to get up after filling the bar was introduced. Plus downed states reduce idle time so if I gotta pee it becomes harder to do so.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East