Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Would it be good if downed state gets into Ashes?

RunningWildRunningWild Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
Hello everyone!

I thought I would start a topic about if it's a good idea to implement "downed state" into Ashes, when we are seriously injured. This is not a new thing in MMOs, Guild Wars 2 has it already. GW2 had a lot of new and great mechanics when it released, like awesome dodging, a great skill system and the downed state. I think downed state would fit Ashes with a few modifications.

My opinion about how to do it:

- if you're down, you have 10 seconds to get back to your feet with the help of an ally, and your HP gets lower and lower during this time like if you have a DOT, maybe represented in a different color than normally
- we wouldn't need skills attached to the downed state, like in GW2, it would mean more work for the devs and it's unnecessary, it doesn't give that much value to the gameplay
- downed state would work in PvE and PvP, giving an extra dimension to battles
- being brought back from downed state by an ally would give us 15% HP by default, but clerics would be able to "raise" from a distance and they would give more HP with that
- when downed we would be able to slowly crawl on the ground
- we wouldn't be able to "raise" ourselves, or only with a very unique and hard-to-get skill
- if we skip the process during raising someone, we would need to start it over and the victim would continue to bleed out
- raising someone would not be interruptable with normal skills, or most of them, only with CC skills, this would be logical

I think downed state would bring an extra dimension to gameplay, as dodge did long ago (and dodge is used almost everywhere nowadays). Downed state is also getting into more and more games and it gives extra fun in PvE and PvP everywhere.

What do you think? Would it be good if downed state gets into Ashes?

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure if I like this idea, sounds too much like main stream shooter games. It's kinda rp breaking imo, and not really necessary since we have resurrections in the game. It is rather unfortunate that only one class will have a resurrection ability, that we know of as of now, but if it's castable in combat, then works for me.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    IMO:
    No, it makes it too easy to get people back into the fight.

One thing that I hate is when games make it so that it is possible to raise dead during combat. The difference in difficulty is always lower if people can be raised in combat.

When someone falls in combat, I want them out of the fight until the dust settles. No second chances. No dumb GW2 downed states. Clear and simple death.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    NchDuNchDu Member
    I loved the GW2 combat system and in doing so also the downed state (and the super adventure box nuclear explosion finischer^^) but it has to be mentioned that GW2 doesn´t use the holy trinity. All classes are DDs with utility spells and some sort of self-healing. If I remember right there isn´t even a reviving skill (just played the original GW2)

In AoC there will be clear-cut roles: tank, cleric, and DDs guessing with lots of heal spells rez, and probably combat rezzes. I dont think the "downed state" fits into such combat and probably will make fights endlessly long.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    God I hope not.
    Everyone involved with the system from base idea to implemention should be ashamed of themselves for this horrible idea. It is not of the biggest reasns I hate GW2.
    A hard CC by the dev team is simply a bad idea!
    I have high hopes for this game and hope they don't make bad choices like having this kind of stuff.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    not a friend of the downed state. Where would you see its advantages? I think death should matter. If you kill someone, said someone should be out of the fight for a good while
  • Options
    Noooooo i hated that in gw2
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This would be bad IMO. It would prevent us from having cool abilities. Imagine being in a large fight against a tank/healer group just picking each other up using invulnerability or shield effects. They wouldn't give us these abilities to make it fair. OR they would give us these abilities but prevent their effect from being useful so at that point, what's the point.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Personally, I liked the idea. It did make dying more fun as intended by ArenaNet. However, I never liked that being downed never resulted in immediate death. Due to realism in an RPG and fun, I think that players should sometimes survive as barely alive and bleeding out and be able to crawl (or roll) away into cover until someone can slap bandage them up.

Personally, I would like a downed system where the player survived with the suggested conditions in the OP post only about 10-20% of the time when downed. While this would help to keep dying interesting, it wouldn't be enough to cause the situation where a decently large group of players is able to always revive any downed players in a very short time that makes it impossible to whittle the large group down.

Also, the GW2 downed skills were too strong. I had plenty of matches that came down to the person who was downed first would win due to how the health bar changed when downed and the fact that the player would stand back up if downing the other. In fact, if already downed Player A can do DPS to down Player B, then downing Player B should not self revive Player A. It is just a frustrating and overpowered mechanic to deal with.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    1+ HP is surviving
    Less then 1HP is not surviving. Back to respawn for you.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    No need for a downed state in AoC due to the holy trinity existing, like @NchDu mentioned above. It works well for GW2 since there are no "rez" spells in the game. Anyone being able to revive a downed player defeats the purpose of the holy trinity imo.

GW2 handles the downed state quite well, although I'm coming from the PvE side of things. But it suites the game well due to lack of holy trinity.

Good thoughts though. I do hope AoC takes away other great elements from GW2 but with their own twist.
  • Options
    I hope they don't introduce a downstate like GW2. I don't want a combat downstate like they have.

Now I would not mind if you could do finishers to force a downed player back to the re spawn point. Also allowing friendly players to cast a revive spell to bring you back to life, before your cool down timer pops and forces you back to the re spawn. This would be ok. But I don't want to see lop sided down state abilities like in GW2.
  • Options
    I would hate to see downed states in this game. A resurrection skill for priests would probably be fine if balanced correctly. I see talk here about GW2 but I don't think it's really been explained why it's bad in GW2.

In PvE, I believe that the downed state is great for the game. It gives you that last chance to pick yourself back up by killing an enemy or it allows for another player to pick you back up during the fight. For casual PvE it works.

For PvP arenas, it's straight up annoying.

Every class in GW2 has a different set of downed skills and it makes certain classes naturally stronger than others. The necromancer is hands down the best downed state in the game. If the battle is close where the necro is downed first and his opponent has a little bit of health yet, the necro just wins. His auto attack ability heals the necro and can even pull himself out of downed state. The warrior, on the other hand, throws rocks and hammers.

Every class also has a way to interrupt finisher moves. A finisher move is channeled move that will finish off a player if it is completed. Since every class can cancel that finisher move, it becomes highly annoying to use said finisher move unless the downed person wastes their interrupt. This usually results in the standing player mashing their dps rotation to finish you off instead.

That's still not all. When you're trying to finish off a downed person and his teammate comes to his rescue and starts to revive him, you better hope you don't have any cooldowns. It's comedic how sometimes the standing enemy can tank your hits and outheal his teammate at the same time while you struggle in futility to make him stop. If the standing player has the stability boon and has built a tankier build, you can just forget getting any kills.

My point here is that GW2's downed state mechanic works for PvE and really sucks for PvP. I'm sure you could balance a downed state for AoC with the removal of downed state skills and being able to interrupt revivals more easily but I'm still opposed to it. If I take someone to 0hp, I want to be rewarded with a kill and it's as simple as that. Downed states just unnecessarily prolong fights.

And I've heard that Intrepid plans on making death punishing so I would think that implementing downed states wouldn't be on their radar whatsoever but who's to say?

TL;DR I don't like downed states. GW2 did downed states for PvP and I hate it.
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dead is dead, that downed state crap you see in BRs has no place in an MMO. If you die, your only options should be some form of a corpse run or get resurrected by another player.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    I'll add to the absolutely not list on a downed state.
    Can you imagine how hard it'd be to win a siege if all the ranged enemies would just get downed behind a wall and back in the fight 10 seconds later?
  • Options
    If your life reaches zero, you are dead. Stop states.

Another thing is "silence", "frozen" etc.
  • Options
    DaeraxDaerax Member
    edited March 2021
    I hate the idea you could bring people up during combat in that way. Also don't think you should be able to do anything in downed state except possibly slowly crawling away. Having an option to get someone up (out of combat only) in short window of time after you have managed to defeat the whatever encounter you got yourself into doesn't necessarily sound bad in smaller scale pvp/pve like farming or duo/trio leveling especially if ress will be limited to clerics only. But it really can get problematic with aggro resets (if there will be any eg. WoW vanish or ice block) or above mentioned sieges to say a few. I think it would be so hard to make it unexploitable, that it would be better to not have it in game at all. That said, if you had option to either get the player up or execute them, it would surely bring some cool RP moments. :)
  • Options
    No I strongly disagree with downed state.
  • Options
    xDracxDrac Member
    I'm also not really a fan of downed states :(
  • Options
    GboltGbolt Member
    Downed state in GW2 is terrible. And this game is gonna be a lot different than GW2, so I think there is no place for such mechanic. Its a gimmick that does not add any value in my opinion, just makes PvP awkward.
  • Options
    ogreogre Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    imo when you die you should die and need to be resurrected or otherwise healed by a party member or other player. I’ve always found “down states” to be more of annoyance than a convenience.
  • Options
    MahesMahes Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NO NO NO to the Downed State system of resurrection.

It is a cop out for balancing content for programmers.Programmers can make bosses that are incredibly difficult to take down without dying and not have to balance it if a Down State exists. I hated that I would take bosses on that would insta stun and then kill me, but it was ok cause I just got ressed back up. All the fight became was, how long could I stay up and do DPS for, before getting knocked back down. It is one of the annoying parts of Guildwars 2. A fight should have serious consequences that does not require me to stop fighting just to get to a player and res them.....when I am DPS.

Please do not consider implementing that kind of system. If I die....I lost the fight.
  • Options
    I dislike it , i find it unreasonable and kinda diminishes the value of Healers Resurrection.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    In PvE, downed states (like resurrections abilities) exist to allow players to make mistakes and recover from them, within limits.

The potential issues with downed states are:
    • They can be too forgiving, too often, such that fights are really easy unless they have really punishing one-shot mechanics.
    • They can give the illusion of recovery, but actually just prolong an unavoidable wipe.
    • They can create bumpy game-flow. If a hard fight results in a ton of downed players and being picked up constantly -- even if the fight is appropriately challenging and heart-pumping, and you can still win with a ton of downs -- it's just annoying to play that way.
    • Commonly, it is the healer's responsibility to recover people's mistakes (within limits) and resurrect teammates, and both healers and DPS might enjoy the game more with that separation of responsibility. So having DPS picking up downed teammates would feel wrong to some.

I think those potential issues can be addressed, but it's not worth it for most games. I think GW2 does it well, and it was needed because they didn't have dedicated healers with rezzes. GW2 was fun. Fight me.

Having downed states is probably not necessary in AoC though. (I know, I know, why did I waste all that time talking about it if I don't think it's worth putting in AoC? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

The thing I'm most worried about for AoC, is if Clerics are the only archetype that can rezz, and there's only going to be 1 of them in an 8-player party, and the Cleric dies.... it's an instant wipe. If the Cleric can erase other people's mistakes, there should be a way to resurrect the Cleric as well (albeit more scarce/expensive?)

In my opinion, of course. Maybe there's some healer mains out there who like taking on all that responsibility and personal risk.
  • Options
    RunningWildRunningWild Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Thank you very much everyone for your opinions, you have written very good ideas on the subject.
  • Options
    Scion: Shoots an ultimate fire-enchanted arrow at target. Hits. Arrow explodes & blows the target's heart into pieces, leaving a gaping hole in the target's chest. Target takes damage roughly 10x his remaining hp, and "dies".

Target: Downs, starts crawling around: "help, someone raise me plz"

Nope.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited March 2021
    I will say people are misconstruing what killing someone is in a system with downed states.

An enemy is only dead when they are dead. Downing them is not "killing them". Any complaints you're having about "killing them and them not being dead" is just not true nor is it a good argument.

For one, sure it means second chance but so do you. It's not actually unfair. (Edit: Class balance notwithstanding)

It's the opposite thinking of how people used to think Nobushi in For Honor was overpowered because the bleed would kill you after you thought you were safe, and people thought that was crazy unfair and would get unjustly mad and tilted. The reality was that once they let the bleed get applied to a certain point they were already dead and should have realized that from the beginning. If they had adjusted their mindset and kept the bleed in mind, and making sure they didn't get hit by bleed attacks they wouldn't have had so much trouble.
    Instead they just let the the low-damage-but-high-bleed attacks hit them because they don't seem strong in the moment and whined because they died to the bleed.

It's the same with your downed state complaints. Instead of thinking you should be alive like in For Honor, you're thinking they should be dead, but you're setting yourself up for anger by not adjusting your mindset to the game you're playing.

Personally I don't think downed states will fit with AoC, but I had to point that out because half of you complaining aren't making a good argument.

Edit: It reminds me of when Summit1G was trying to get good at GW2 pvp but would get crazy tilted because he kept forgetting downed state exists. He wouldn't even utilize his own downed state because he would forget or just didn't like it instead of learning to play the systems he was playing. He went in with the mindset of a different game and got upset because he was losing (the reason being he wasn't playing like it was GW2)

Edit2: Nobody complains about downed states in BR games like Apex. It's because MMO's don't traditionally have downed state that people aren't used to it and aren't adjusting their mindset.
  • Options
    This is a bad idea, there's some games where you kill a person in a party, and as you're fighting that same party he manages to return to the battlefield in full health and full mana. Sometimes dying early on could even give you an advantage. I dislike this, when killing someone, you should be rewarded with their inevitable death. Because you won the fight, and he lost it, it'd be weird if he could just get back up bc they have a healer.

Sea of thieves is a good example, my party of two would take down a ship with a party of four. But they'd keep respawning which was very tedious, when we already won the fight and are trying to take the spoils of war. Luckily there was ways to work around it if you were good enough, but i didnt like the system.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited March 2021
    Jxshuwu wrote: »
    This is a bad idea, there's some games where you kill a person in a party, and as you're fighting that same party he manages to return to the battlefield in full health and full mana. Sometimes dying early on could even give you an advantage. I dislike this, when killing someone, you should be rewarded with their inevitable death. Because you won the fight, and he lost it, it'd be weird if he could just get back up bc they have a healer.

See my post directly above yours, it's exactly what I was talking about. If you want them to be dead, finish them off, don't make the mistake of thinking they're dead and having shockedpikachuface.jpg when they actually aren't. Adapt to the game you're playing.
    ... there's some games where you kill a person ...

This right here is where you are wrong. They aren't "killed" if they are downed.

If you didn't finish them off and they had time to rez, heal and come back to kill you that's your fault.
    Sea of thieves is a good example, my party of two would take down a ship with a party of four. But they'd keep respawning which was very tedious, when we already won the fight and are trying to take the spoils of war. Luckily there was ways to work around it if you were good enough, but i didnt like the system.

This is a different scenario and I've actually also argued that SoT respawn system was very flawed on their subreddit many times. It's not the same thing as a downed state though and not a good analogy.
    In the SoT example, they ARE actually dead, but just respawning quickly. That's NOT what a downed state is.

Edit: (Pre-emptive disclaimer again) I'm not advocating for downed states in AoC, I'm just saying that argument (because so many of you are using it) is not a good or accurate one. If we're not using legit arguments, how can we expect a legit system.
  • Options
    I just woke up, my sentences prob wont make sense so bear with me.

@Dreoh I didnt read all comments, i just gave my take on the main post. When will you be downed? When your hp bar hits 0 or close to it? I do think it could add something extra in pvp but make at the same time, it would make pve a breeze would it not?

You said ''Any complaints you're having about "killing them and them not being dead" is just not true nor is it a good argument.'' - I think a complaint in terms of a game, is always a good argument. If players don't like something, they complain, and that shows that something may not be good about the system. One player isn't credible, a bunch of them definitely is.

You're telling people to just ''adjust'' their mindset'' if it were to get added, but if that's not what people want, it would be a stupid thing to add. I personally just believe it could cause frustrating gameplay, i understand that if i dont finish the downed player off, its my fault! BUT it'd still be frustrating and annoying gameplay, when a health bar hits 0, i want it to be 0. How summit1g reacted is completely justified, because its a frustrating feature to some. If it isn't for others, good for you but for many it probably will be.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited March 2021
    I didnt read all comments, i just gave my take on the main post. When will you be downed? When your hp bar hits 0 or close to it? I do think it could add something extra in pvp but make at the same time, it would make pve a breeze would it not?

GW2 has challenging PvE content and it has downed states.
    You said ''Any complaints you're having about "killing them and them not being dead" is just not true nor is it a good argument.'' - I think a complaint in terms of a game, is always a good argument. If players don't like something, they complain, and that shows that something may not be good about the system. One player isn't credible, a bunch of them definitely is.

For one, it's wrong because they aren't dead. You never killed them. Your statement and argument isn't accurate from the get go.

And sure sometimes people complain about things that are actually bad. But just because a lot of people have an opinion on something doesn't make that opinion correct. Don't fall into that logical fallacy.

There's whole populations of racists, doesn't mean racism is a valid opinion.
    A huge population of SoT thinks there should be a PvE only mode and the game would be better for it and complain incessantly about it. Doesn't mean they are right about that opinion.
    You're telling people to just ''adjust'' their mindset'' if it were to get added, but if that's not what people want, it would be a stupid thing to add. I personally just believe it could cause frustrating gameplay, i understand that if i dont finish the downed player off, its my fault! BUT it'd still be frustrating and annoying gameplay, when a health bar hits 0, i want it to be 0. How summit1g reacted is completely justified, because its a frustrating feature to some. If it isn't for others, good for you but for many it probably will be.

It's only frustrating to you, like I said, because you're playing it like it's WoW or any other game without downed states and you THINK they should be dead. You don't go into Apex and complain that the enemy isn't dead when you downed them because you know they are downed and that's part of the games mechanics. So why aren't you doing the same for downed state MMO's?

Edit: (Pre-emptive disclaimer again) I'm not advocating for downed states in AoC, I'm just saying that argument (because so many of you are using it) is not a good or accurate one. If we're not using legit arguments, how can we expect a legit conclusion.