Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

maybe not a dps meter but what about this...

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Noaani The good thing about shit guilds is the ability to absorb their quality members haha. Before server transfers were common in WOW, that is how I grew Council. It's amazing when you actually deliver on all those guild "promises" we will see spammed in general chat.

I'm curious to see what all these guilds that say they are *casual* and *hardcore* at the same time think about raiding without a universal dps meter. At one point in time, guilds saying they were both casual and hardcore were doing it as a joke. Oh how times have changed.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Khronus wrote: »
    Noaani The good thing about shit guilds is the ability to absorb their quality members haha. Before server transfers were common in WOW, that is how I grew Council. It's amazing when you actually deliver on all those guild "promises" we will see spammed in general chat.
    Indeed.

To me, Intrepid allowing server transfers would be the biggest killer for the game - unless the games overall population is farily small.

As to those casual hardcore guilds, I don't know if we will see them at all in Ashes. The game will not offer them any way to hide how bad they are, and I don't think combat trackers would alter that one way or the other.
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    Noaani The good thing about shit guilds is the ability to absorb their quality members haha. Before server transfers were common in WOW, that is how I grew Council. It's amazing when you actually deliver on all those guild "promises" we will see spammed in general chat.
    Indeed.

To me, Intrepid allowing server transfers would be the biggest killer for the game - unless the games overall population is farily small.

As to those casual hardcore guilds, I don't know if we will see them at all in Ashes. The game will not offer them any way to hide how bad they are, and I don't think combat trackers would alter that one way or the other.

This implies that quality of players will be more important than quantity
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Asgerr wrote: »

Other than misunderstanding the FFXIV parser streaming situation slightly that is a good video.

To be clear you can stream FFXIV with your parser on screen. You just can not call people out for bad DPS. The streamer got banned for that when he called someone out on DPS, even on twitch. Everyone knew you could not do it in game, but it was a big deal to see it happen for someone calling someone out on twitch.
    That same streamer still streams with ACT up till this day.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    I love the part where he says that he loves Steven's optimism that by removing meters players are going to change and stop being toxic

― Plato
  • Options
    Tragnar wrote: »
    I love the part where he says that he loves Steven's optimism that by removing meters players are going to change and stop being toxic

I haven't watched it, but this just makes me think I have no reason to.

Just another person that thinks combat trackers are toxic because Steven said so, without putting any actual thought in to it at all, or even looking around at how they are used 99% of the time in games other than WoW.
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    I think he said it just as a sarcasm - but that video is definitely worth a watch - really well done

― Plato
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    It's a pretty meaningless video because no has suggested that not implementing and not supporting DPS meters will completely prevent people from using them.
    Everyone knows that some people will cheat. Just as everyone knows that some people will do things that are illegal.
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    And we are back at it :joy:

banning meters in order to prevent people from using it to express their toxicity is like banning alcohol in order to prevent alcohol poisoning

banning meters is quite futile attempt to fight against gaming toxicity

― Plato
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    Yes, Tragnar, the Earth is flat and only 6,000 years old.
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    oh what a peak post, bringing degenerate delusions of uneducated people and a religion remark

― Plato
  • Options
    On top of all this, do you really think that PVE bosses are going to be difficult? The balancing is going to be insane if they try to make pve bosses hard. They have to be easy to accommodate for pvp counters. I want the pve to be hard AF but I am holding this bar very low as to not expect fun pve and be let down. Only time will tell on this one though. Fingers crossed.

I don't think bosses will be hard either. I can't find a way to make a complex/difficult encounter with PvP in it.
    I don't really think PvE will be the main thing, maybe it's possible.

The ONLY reason I dislike Combat Trackers is when the information is shared and I'm left out of choices. I like playing my classes pretty decently, at least trying to better my DPS or heals, and once a best combo is found, I've little choice. But that doesn't bother me as much as having a complete guide on how to complete a raid.
    You just follow a recipe, there's no discovery, nothing.
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    Tragnar wrote: »

I haven't watched it, but this just makes me think I have no reason to.

Just another person that thinks combat trackers are toxic because Steven said so, without putting any actual thought in to it at all, or even looking around at how they are used 99% of the time in games other than WoW.

He actually shares a loooot of your point of views. Give it a watch I think you'll like it a lot.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Dygz wrote: »
    Yes, Tragnar, the Earth is flat and only 6,000 years old.

Just to be clear, Tragnar said banning combat trackers is a futile path for the attempt to cut toxicity. You came back with the above.

This would say that you think the attempt to reduce toxicity by removing combat trackers is a blatantly obvious thing that all evidence points towards being true.

If this is the case, you need to explain Archeage.

Not only is it the one game that had a more toxic community than WoW, but it is also the single game with the lowest rate of combat tracker use of any that I have played. If you want to suggest that a lack of combat trackers is an obvious way to reduce toxicity, you need to explain why it did not happen in that game. In fact, you need to explain why the exact opposite happened.

None of your points have any merit until you have given a reason as to why a lack of combat trackers didn't put a dent in that games toxicity.

Not only was it apparent in that game, but that game is where Stevens own self confessed toxic behavior took place, and by all accounts he wasn't using a combat tracker.

This means that Steven knows from first hand experience that toxic behavior is not related to combat tracker use, which means his claim that it removing combat trackers will lower toxicity in any meaningful way simply cant be something he believes.

This is why I have outright rejected his claim that he thinks it is based on toxicity, and have assumed it to be an outright lie from the moment he first said it.