Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Bounty Hunters, Pathfinding v RngrTrack, and Saboteurs

Kivek RhuKhanKivek RhuKhan Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited April 2021 in General Discussion
https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Track

Are we going to be able to track players?

Like scouts in shadowbane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yBzMKdRL6o

ok thanks make it happen pls.

Comments

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2021
    not sure how its going to work as we have yet to see it so just have to wait and see
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Use this skill to show nearby tracks, leading to unknown adventures.[1]

Classes based on the Ranger archetype have tracking abilities that can reveal the location of stealthed players.[2]

super vague
  • Options
    Kiv3k wrote: »
    Use this skill to show nearby tracks, leading to unknown adventures.[1]

Classes based on the Ranger archetype have tracking abilities that can reveal the location of stealthed players.[2]

super vague

well we are in alpha 1 so most things are not yet in the game and working
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    perseus01perseus01 Member
    edited April 2021
    That is shadowbane? Cool. This is the first time I've really seen it like that before.
    It looks much like Old SWG mixed with Ultima, hahaha!
  • Options
    The chinese company that bought it re released it for 11$ on steam but I wouldn't expect much from it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fTbZ9pTXxY
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The chinese company that bought it re released it for 11$ on steam but I wouldn't expect much from it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fTbZ9pTXxY

You would have to pay me more than $11 to play that garbage.

@Kiv3k I am not playing a ranger but I would very much like the ranger class to have some form of tracking added into the game. Rogues can gain access to new areas, rangers should be able to track. Both would offer HUGE value to the rest of the group or raid and I don't think this would be overpowered if balanced uniquely.
  • Options
    Shadowbanes class system is what made it good as well as GvG there are not many games where 10 ppl can kill 200 equally lvld players without losing someone.
    MMORPG, unlimited free PVP. 12 races, 22 occupations, 48 affiliated occupations, more than 200 attribute points, more than 500 skill points. Open battlefield that can be arbitrarily harvested in the game. Its freedom and cruelty are its characteristics, and it is also a fair competition for power.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind the Ranger class getting something like that.

However I believe -- and other forums vets please correct me if I've got it wrong -- that Steven mentioned not being overly interested in adding skills that weren't strictly related to combat.

Therefore I would imagine there won't things like tracking as a skill (unless it's a passive), or other more RP/out of combat things like some of the mage or warlock skills in WoW.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Check the youtube video on ranger tracking from E3 few years ago. It shows the basic idea in basic form in action.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
  • Options
    This one. Bear in mind this was almost 4 years ago but shows their intent on what they are looking to do. Ninjakitten77 has the other videos up as well to see what the intent is. Some things have changed and I am sure more things will. This one shows the Ranger PvE experience they showed off at E3 in 2017. Alex is talking and leading the group through. Very interesting stuff and I hope they get most of what the vision was then in game at launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOqPCtB0iTA
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    sry thats pretty dumb and useless I'm going to play shadowbane for 10$
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    They need to utilize this subclass system harder not too confident about this at all atm their class system seems pretty garbage. track is a waste of bar space. I wouldn't be surprised if this flops harder than bless online.
  • Options
    Ah yes.

A game flops on account of a single skill on a single archetype not being to your liking. Even when said class hasn't actually been presented to players past the original proof of concept videos.

I believe Ranger is currently being played in Alpha-1, so I'm guessing you'll be able to better see the class and augment paths better when NDA lifts.

Otherwise have a good time playing something else I suppose.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    sry thats pretty dumb and useless I'm going to play shadowbane for 10$
    They need to utilize this subclass system harder not too confident about this at all atm their class system seems pretty garbage. track is a waste of bar space. I wouldn't be surprised if this flops harder than bless online.

Byeee! Don't suppose we'll see you here again, then!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    bye

giphy.gif
  • Options
    It obviously has the use for 'which path do we take' in dungeons, but I wonder if it will also be a big one for hunting specific animals for Animal Tamers.
  • Options
    InixiaInixia Member
    edited April 2021
    Tracking seems like it could be pretty thematic/cool for ranger, but I wouldn't do it like in the video where it seems like you can mostly(?) beam straight into the player's location from across the map. I think it would be funner if each player in a zone or in a radius generates a trail behind them for a 30s to a minute or whatever, and then when the ranger activates their ability they can see faintly glowing/ebbing footprints people took. That way tracking people is a bit more immersive and opposing players can still make an attempt to leave confusing trails or ambushes.

In pvp rangers could even do some clever counter stealth play without having to resort to automatically seeing through invisibility. They could track the footprints of enemies, and if they see footprint appearing without a visible enemy they can drop an arrow barrage aoe to uproot them. But in hectic environments with a lot of people trying to sort out the tracking information would be hard... which maybe it should be.
  • Options
    Every archetype is supposed to have an out of combat ability. They should all be different and fit the archetype.
    Shame you fail to see possibilities and feel the need to troll forums of products you clearly have no real interest in.
    Only ever heard of shadowbane and most of it bad.
    Hope you have fun over there.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A Ranger with tracking who is well advanced in the Bounty Hunter organization might be a great red-hunter, could end up mega rich.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    A Ranger with tracking who is well advanced in the Bounty Hunter organization might be a great red-hunter, could end up mega rich.

Yeah the bounty hunter system my argument the skill even more
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Every archetype is supposed to have an out of combat ability. They should all be different and fit the archetype.
    Shame you fail to see possibilities and feel the need to troll forums of products you clearly have no real interest in.

not trolling that skills garbage I'm not a dnd fan im sure itll have some sort of function in pvp to do with stealth. I don't particularly care about skills function for roleplaying in dungeons I pvp, and I want to be able to track bounty hunters so i can pk them.
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited April 2021

not trolling that skills garbage I'm not a dnd fan im sure itll have some sort of function in pvp to do with stealth. I don't particularly care about skills function for roleplaying in dungeons I pvp, and I want to be able to track bounty hunters so i can pk them.

My god, do you ever just cut yourself on how edgy you sound?

All joking aside, I get what you mean as far as using the skill for actual combat purposes, but if you added that to an archetype, you'd essentially force people to roll that archetype in order to be effective or at least capable of countering the same skill.

What might interest you perhaps, is the inverse. Bounty Hunters can automatically see corrupt players on the map. So what you can do, knowing they'll come for you after you're done lording your edge all over some unsuspecting green player, is set up an ambush.
    You know they can see you. You just need to find the right spot to get yourself an advantage and PK the Bounty Hunter before they can get to you/kill you.

Otherwise just tracking random bounty hunters, without necessarily being corrupt, will just incur in getting corrupt.

Also the skill isn't actually for RP. For RP you'd use this little thing called imagination. What this skill allows for is likely different things. And that is if you take a skill that -- and I stress this again -- HAS NOT BEEN ACTUALLY SHOWN OFF SINCE THE ORIGINAL PROOF OF CONCEPT. So it may very well be that once the Ranger class is revealed, that it does have the broken skill you so desire.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    There is so much we don't know yet about the OUT OF COMBAT skills that each archetype is supposed to have. In the proof of concept videos they show 4 and hint at what the rest might be.
    We have no idea of the full extent of the abilities usefulness at this point. We need more information. Perhaps your second archetype will change what you can track. Maybe cleric allows the tracking of demons or something. Perhaps you can unlock various tracking types through augments or through social orders. Maybe one of the religions unlocks tracking Elves so you can collect ears.
    Point is we have almost no information on what the out of combat abilities do and how/if they can be augmented at this point so anything is speculation and jumping to "this is trash" as a knee jerk reaction seems short sighted to me. Let them put this stuff in so it can be tested and proper feedback given.
    Side note I agree it is a poor skill. Not because it is a skill bit because it is not a mage or cleric skill. Odds are 99% chance I'll never play a ranger. I have little interest in the archetype but others are going crazy wanting to get in game a play. Is all perception.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I don't like that bounty hunters of any class can track players better than a class with an ability called track.

shits not logical.

• Options
    They can only track red players.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I am a red player and I want to pk bounty hunters and since they can reveal me and my stats are nerfed I want to be able to loot their shit.
  • Options
    so your afraid they will find you and take your gear?
    Red players won't be nearly as common as you are hoping or anywhere near as viable as you think.
    Start here.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_corruption
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    so your afraid they will find you and take your gear?
    Red players won't be nearly as common as you are hoping or anywhere near as viable as you think.
    Start here.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_corruption

We will see about that MR when these dudes have 10million tree stumps in their inventory and they see kiv3k running up on them with the rancid bow of decay theyll be tryna run away the the mushroom dwarf is gonna pop out the bush in the mushroom patch and clappem for the red kill
  • Options
    Will be funny to see people think they can PK like WoW with no consequences. Going red will lower your ability to perform in all aspects except vs bounty hunters.
    Love your over confidence and positive can do attitude but just don't see it working out for you as you think it will. Even then as has been said in a couple other threads. Common PK'ers in a closed system like this will be get crushed by the community PKing them into the ground over and over.
    Good luck on trying to play the monster though.