Options

dopc

PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited April 2023 in General Discussion
.
Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
«1

Comments

  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    was this talked about in the recent dev update? I haven't heard about this.

    I support it because it would limit the prevalence of cash shop items, and because it puts emphasis on a persons' character, not their account as a whole.
  • Options
    Anything limiting the amount of paid cosmetics in circulation in game is a pro in my book.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It was talked about in today’s Livestream.
  • Options
    PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2023
    .
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Swaftworth wrote: »
    Shoelid wrote: »
    was this talked about in the recent dev update? I haven't heard about this.

    I support it because it would limit the prevalence of cash shop items, and because it puts emphasis on a persons' character, not their account as a whole.

    Yes it was briefly mentioned at the end of the most recent Livestream aka today.

    Guess I missed that tidbit. In general I support this decision, I just hope they make it extremely simple to transfer the cosmetic appearances between characters.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I’m an altaholic. For me, what Steven described is fine.
    I don’t want all of my Alta to look the same, and... the cosmetics I purchase are typically for a specific race.

    I’m not going to be using the cosmetics I purchased for Nikua on a Vek or a Human.

    Also, Steven said they are considering allowing us to unassign cosmetics from one character and assigning them to another.

    How many cosmetics can one character wear at once?
  • Options
    PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2023
    .
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2023
    .
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    The idea is that they want choices to matter. One such choice is: what character do I play?

    Seeing as leveling character to max level apparently takes almost two months, they want you to invest your time in one character at a time.
    With that in mind it seems reasonable to have your skin apply to only one character (and if they implement the possibility to change that skin's assignment with a cooldown even better).
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't agree that they want us to invest our time one character at a time, but...
    I do agree that they want character progression for each character to be quite meaningful.
    Which is exactly what I want. Even though I expect to be circumventing that to some degree by mailing items between characters.

  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Swaftworth wrote: »
    You are correct Steven did mention unassigning cosmetics however he also said its going to be on a cool-down he also said. so if you wanted to move your cosmetic over to another character you have to wait, in the case of a guild event where everyone is wearing matching cosmetics you would have to wait before your cosmetics got transferred over.
    Under what circumstances could you possibly be switching a guild costume between characters so quickly?
    Are you planning to try to dualbox two characters in the same guild?
  • Options
    Not a fan. I personally would buy far fewer cosmetics if this is how they function. On principle, if I buy a cosmetic (mount or outfit) then I would like to feel like I own it and can use it freely for all time on all characters. Restricting it to a single character feels pointless and the logic behind "making characters unique" doesn't adequately justify making STORE ITEMS restricted. I am 100% onboard with in-game EARNED cosmetics to be unique to your character...but if I spend real money on something then I don't want to have to buy it multiple times if I love it enough to use it on multiple characters. ESPECIALLY MOUNTS.

    Store-bought cosmetics should be account-wide and have unlimited applications. This approach to restricting customers who spent $$$ on a store item sounds awful, and a bit of a slap in the face.
  • Options
    PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2023
    .
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • Options
    ItsFayneItsFayne Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have to agree.

    Its going to feel super bad to have to go through an entire process to switch, say, a mount skin across characters in a slow 'cooldown" process. Now, if the goal here is simply to sell multiple cosmetic skins to one account (one for each character) then sure, go ahead. I think that is overpunishing and will actually hurt cash shop sales.

    In addition, so far we havent had the option to buy multiple. Would this be backdated and changed? I 100% agree with in game cosmetics being character bound, but having only one copy of a cash shop cosmetic is just simply going to feel bad. Its not a customer facing system, and would actually discourage me long term from buying cosmetics, or being strategic with them. I dont mind buying a $25 costume or mount skin, but buying 4 of them feels pretty greedy.
    7l7hsjx.png
  • Options
    ItsFayneItsFayne Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dygz wrote: »
    Swaftworth wrote: »
    You are correct Steven did mention unassigning cosmetics however he also said its going to be on a cool-down he also said. so if you wanted to move your cosmetic over to another character you have to wait, in the case of a guild event where everyone is wearing matching cosmetics you would have to wait before your cosmetics got transferred over.
    Under what circumstances could you possibly be switching a guild costume between characters so quickly?
    Are you planning to try to dualbox two characters in the same guild?

    What about mounts? What if there is an awesome mount skin I want to use? I have to rotate that through all my characters I play regularly? That feels super bad.
    7l7hsjx.png
  • Options
    BSkitty wrote: »
    Not a fan. I personally would buy far fewer cosmetics if this is how they function. On principle, if I buy a cosmetic (mount or outfit) then I would like to feel like I own it and can use it freely for all time on all characters. Restricting it to a single character feels pointless and the logic behind "making characters unique" doesn't adequately justify making STORE ITEMS restricted. I am 100% onboard with in-game EARNED cosmetics to be unique to your character...but if I spend real money on something then I don't want to have to buy it multiple times if I love it enough to use it on multiple characters. ESPECIALLY MOUNTS.

    Store-bought cosmetics should be account-wide and have unlimited applications. This approach to restricting customers who spent $$$ on a store item sounds awful, and a bit of a slap in the face.

    I mostly have to agree with this sentiment; If you buy a skin, it feels like it should be something you can infinitely claim on all of your toons, without limit. They are already No-Trade to other players, so it doesn't seem like this would be too much to ask for.

    ON THE OTHER HAND: Since AoC will (thankfully!) be free of P2W, maybe this is a good way to compensate for not over-monetizing the game?



  • Options
    People are already talking about having alot of alts... It s just me that play with only One caracter? People don't even know how hard Will be to progresso with One caracter...
  • Options
    BSkitty wrote: »
    Not a fan. I personally would buy far fewer cosmetics if this is how they function. On principle, if I buy a cosmetic (mount or outfit) then I would like to feel like I own it and can use it freely for all time on all characters. Restricting it to a single character feels pointless and the logic behind "making characters unique" doesn't adequately justify making STORE ITEMS restricted. I am 100% onboard with in-game EARNED cosmetics to be unique to your character...but if I spend real money on something then I don't want to have to buy it multiple times if I love it enough to use it on multiple characters. ESPECIALLY MOUNTS.

    Store-bought cosmetics should be account-wide and have unlimited applications. This approach to restricting customers who spent $$$ on a store item sounds awful, and a bit of a slap in the face.

    I mostly have to agree with this sentiment; If you buy a skin, it feels like it should be something you can infinitely claim on all of your toons, without limit. They are already No-Trade to other players, so it doesn't seem like this would be too much to ask for.

    ON THE OTHER HAND: Since AoC will (thankfully!) be free of P2W, maybe this is a good way to compensate for not over-monetizing the game?



    If the intent is to make money from the store with cosmetics, then my point stands. I have 100s of store-bought cosmetics in GW2, and I have never used 90% of them. Why? Because they're a permanent cosmetic unlock in my wardrobe, I like collecting/having them, and my human brain thinks "I might use it one day on an alt." Has GW2 milked thousands of dollars out of me over the past 8 years for things I have never used? Yes. Am I upset by that? No, because I support the game and to me, the cost is worth it because I permanently own that item and can use it as I please. ArenaNet can take my money all day because the game is free, I love it, and they make really cool things for the store.

    Not only do I disagree with restricting cosmetics to single-use (or time gating your ability to swap them) on principle; as a customer spending $$ to support the game...it fundamentally makes me only want to purchase something when I am 200% sure I will use it. This means Intrepid will get far less from me as a consumer, and potentially everyone like me. If making money is their goal with the in-game store, then this a bad approach. It's taking away the value of the purchase, and not worth buying in my opinion.
  • Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    edited April 2021
    Gw2 is a fashion war game, that is the endgame, ashes Will have much more to Care then cosmetics
  • Options
    Ramirez wrote: »
    Gw2 is a fashion war game, that is the endgame, ashes Will have much more to Care then cosmetics

    GW2 is not a fashion war game, and it absolutely is not the endgame. You're regurgitating a widely perpetuated misunderstanding/meme of what GW2 is.

    Cosmetics matter in any MMO, regardless of its content, and AoC is no exception.
  • Options
    I guess this whole process and limitation just serves to better highlight your Main vs your Alt(ernative).

    The meaning being in the names themselves, I think it stands to reason that all the coolest stuff would be on your main (save for very specific stuff that might fit a different archetype better).

    And if at some point you decide to switch main, then you can transfer those onto the new one. I would imagine if that were the case that you wouldn't be switching every day for no reason.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    edited April 2021
    BSkitty wrote: »
    Ramirez wrote: »
    Gw2 is a fashion war game, that is the endgame, ashes Will have much more to Care then cosmetics

    GW2 is not a fashion war game, and it absolutely is not the endgame. You're regurgitating a widely perpetuated misunderstanding/meme of what GW2 is.

    Cosmetics matter in any MMO, regardless of its content, and AoC is no exception.

    Isn t an meme atleast the people i know still playing are just doing content to get weapon cosmetic x or y, when they get they stop playing or Stay just for social in the guild because there isn't nothing relevant to do, that s the main i stop playing to.... And anyway you Will have alot of cosmetics, maybe stick with One caracter , not every MMORPG are alt friendly
  • Options
    Ramirez wrote: »
    BSkitty wrote: »
    Ramirez wrote: »
    Gw2 is a fashion war game, that is the endgame, ashes Will have much more to Care then cosmetics

    GW2 is not a fashion war game, and it absolutely is not the endgame. You're regurgitating a widely perpetuated misunderstanding/meme of what GW2 is.

    Cosmetics matter in any MMO, regardless of its content, and AoC is no exception.

    Isn t an meme atleast the people i know still playing are just doing content to get weapon cosmetic x or y, when they get they stop playing or Stay just for social in the guild because there isn't nothing relevant to do, that s the main i stop playing to

    As someone who does raids, Fractal CMs, WvW, and arena PvP on a regular basis...your friends are playing GW2 in the most casual way possible. Which is fine, because many people do. There is plenty of content worth doing that's challenging, rewarding, and fun. I don't want to derail this discussion defending GW2 though. Go watch MightyTeapot on YouTube if you want to see the real GW2.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2021
    ItsFayne wrote: »
    What about mounts? What if there is an awesome mount skin I want to use? I have to rotate that through all my characters I play regularly? That feels super bad.
    My characters would have different preferences in mounts because... they are all different characters.
    Some of what's being nudged is more meaningful RP.
    Which may seem unusual to players who just always play themselves with different skins.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    ItsFayne wrote: »
    What about mounts? What if there is an awesome mount skin I want to use? I have to rotate that through all my characters I play regularly? That feels super bad.
    All of my characters would have different preferences in mounts because... they are all different characters.
    Some of what's being nudged is more meaningful RP.
    Which may seem unusual to players who just always play themselves with different skins.

    You can still do that without single-use restrictions. It's a personal decision.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    BSkitty wrote: »
    Not only do I disagree with restricting cosmetics to single-use (or time gating your ability to swap them) on principle; as a customer spending $$ to support the game...it fundamentally makes me only want to purchase something when I am 200% sure I will use it. This means Intrepid will get far less from me as a consumer, and potentially everyone like me. If making money is their goal with the in-game store, then this a bad approach. It's taking away the value of the purchase, and not worth buying in my opinion.
    Um. Sounds like this is why you don't use 90% of your stuff.
    Because you just swap the 10% among all your alts.
    This would make me more likely to have unique appearances for my alts - with a decent spread of the cosmetics I own - rather than just have them all look the same as I keep sharing the same items with all of them.
  • Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    edited April 2021
    BSkitty wrote: »
    Ramirez wrote: »
    BSkitty wrote: »
    Ramirez wrote: »
    Gw2 is a fashion war game, that is the endgame, ashes Will have much more to Care then cosmetics

    GW2 is not a fashion war game, and it absolutely is not the endgame. You're regurgitating a widely perpetuated misunderstanding/meme of what GW2 is.

    Cosmetics matter in any MMO, regardless of its content, and AoC is no exception.

    Isn t an meme atleast the people i know still playing are just doing content to get weapon cosmetic x or y, when they get they stop playing or Stay just for social in the guild because there isn't nothing relevant to do, that s the main i stop playing to

    As someone who does raids, Fractal CMs, WvW, and arena PvP on a regular basis...your friends are playing GW2 in the most casual way possible. Which is fine, because many people do. There is plenty of content worth doing that's challenging, rewarding, and fun. I don't want to derail this discussion defending GW2 though. Go watch MightyTeapot on YouTube if you want to see the real GW2.

    For pvp they play pvp MMORPG like Albion and Eve, i don't need to see i played for some months, pvp is really bad and pointless, original Guild wars with actually guild wars, was much better
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    BSkitty wrote: »
    Not only do I disagree with restricting cosmetics to single-use (or time gating your ability to swap them) on principle; as a customer spending $$ to support the game...it fundamentally makes me only want to purchase something when I am 200% sure I will use it. This means Intrepid will get far less from me as a consumer, and potentially everyone like me. If making money is their goal with the in-game store, then this a bad approach. It's taking away the value of the purchase, and not worth buying in my opinion.
    Um. Sounds like this is why you don't use 90% of your stuff.
    Because you just swap the 10% among all your alts.
    This would make me more likely to have unique appearances for my alts - with a decent spread of the cosmetics I own - rather than just have them all look the same as I keep sharing the same items with all of them.

    Again, that's a personal decision. Limiting people to single-use cosmetics will have no impact on you, and my argument from the beginning is that it's an unfair restriction for spending real $$ on an item...regardless of how you choose to use it, feel about it, or don't feel about it.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2021
    Precisely.
    It is your personal decision. And your personal opinion.
    You do you.
    I'm just trying to better understand why it bothers you.
  • Options
    PlateauPlateau Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2023
    .
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.