Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What elements/systems within AoC appear to have strong inspiration from other games?

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I refer a lot to L2 because there are a lot of key elements that appears to be drawn from.

What other strong elements/systems within AoC appear to have strong inspiration from other games?

Comments

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    EQ and ArcheAge
  • Eve Online with its regionalized economy and risk vs reward in transportation.[8]
    ArcheAge with its building systems, transportation and naval combat.[8]
    Lineage II with its risk vs reward, castle sieges, flagging, open world PvP and guild progression.[9][8]
    Star Wars Galaxies with its crafting systems.[8]

From the wiki.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Bricktop wrote: »
    Eve Online with its regionalized economy and risk vs reward in transportation.[8]
    ArcheAge with its building systems, transportation and naval combat.[8]
    Lineage II with its risk vs reward, castle sieges, flagging, open world PvP and guild progression.[9][8]
    Star Wars Galaxies with its crafting systems.[8]

From the wiki.

Ahh yes... The sacred texts that brought me into the Ashes religion.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ah there is the answer I was seeking.. now on to have a look at the elements I am not familiar with!
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Btw, there is nothing wrong with taking ideas from other games.

Wrong would be to make another single player quest mode mmo with lobby BGs and dungeons.

Every time I hear Steven say ".... lineage 2..." I think to myseld, "I can't wait to play AoC".
  • BahlderBahlder Member
    edited May 2021
    There is an old-school 2D RPG called Dark Ages by Nexon that I fell in love with as a teenager. I feel as though the player governance, hero classes, and mayoral election systems have a surprising amount in common with the ideas in that game.

Of course, one has to consider the sheer number of MMO & RPG games out in the universe. But I'll stand by my belief that at least one of the devs has played Dark Ages. One of the most charming games I ever played.

I should say - DA had this really, really cool player journal that you could open and read. It would list stuff like your in-game religious affiliations, major life events (marriage/divorce, player death, birth, etc.), major quest completions, etc. that would update as you progressed. It was really, really great to be able to click a random player and read and get lost in their story.

They also had this player-generated content thing - Like players would write poetry/stories and the best of them would get recognized in the in-game library or something like that. It was such a cool little feature - Especially given when the game was made.