Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Heritage Quests and Guild Quests

ZenceZence Member, Alpha One
I personally was a huge fan of EQ2 back in its prime and enjoyed a lot of the systems available from what I at least remember and got to experience.

With that, I wanted to get some input from everyone on their thoughts of certain quest system(s) they would like to see in Ashes while sharing some examples of what I previously enjoyed and wouldn't mind seeing newly created systems of similar things in Ashes.

Heritage Quests in EQ2 were very long and challenging. Normally involving some type of raid tier enemy or enemies , but very rewarding quests that would give players:
  • Alternate Attribute points (skill points to augment your character in various ways)
  • Loads of guild experience/reputation
  • Some prestigious item based reward like an epic weapon/armor/jewelry - house items etc.

Guild Quests in EQ2 involved numerous ways to bring the guild together to explore various content to help the guild progress. Crafting / Killing Writs (having to craft/kill x amount of x in x time) are mainly what I can recall but I feel like there was more. Other games have offered some good - decent guild mission type activities that were great to do together for a goal that benefited everyone, but I didn't want to make some crazy long list..

Now obviously a good community can create various activities to keep their small community engaged with one another, but I don't think it is a negative thing if there are mechanics within the game that influence that to happen naturally through various progression paths beyond dungeons / raids / pvp.

What are your thoughts? What quest systems would you like to see in Ashes? What are some examples of games you played or are currently playing?

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    EQ2s heritage and signature quests were easy the most fun I have ever had questing in an MMO.

It is one of the things that game really did get right.
  • Options
    Yes! Really hoping for some similar systems in Ashes at some point.
  • Options
    Yes! Really hoping for some similar systems in Ashes at some point.
  • Options
    InixiaInixia Member
    edited May 2021
    i totally forgot about heritage quests, but eq2 had a lot of great quest timelines like that (ignoring the many kill x of y moments which are too prevalent in older mmo's)
    one of my favorite was the epic weapon quests you'd do where you got a class unique weapon.
    It was a good way to mix challenging content/progression goals and it felt personalized to your own character choices. I remember being pretty excited to finally get the mirage star and various disguise spells for my illusionist
  • Options
    Yeah I agree completely. Another thing I really enjoyed about EQ2 was the fact all of your spells started at Apprentice 1 and you were able to craft better versions as well as find Master books off of bosses which was always something I truly enjoyed. Farming a specific named to get that one master book to drop for that big damage/heal/buff increase... Good times!
  • Options
    codewarlockcodewarlock Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    I would very much enjoy Guild Quests! RIFT was the first game I played with guild type quests, allowing people to do dailies to level up the guild perks, thus making things more efficient.

I thought Destiny 2 had some pretty cool ideas with their "guild" system as well, rewarding the entire guild from members completing different types of content, ranging from raids, battlegrounds, and arena.

My perfect system would be a blend of all those options--where guild members are rewarded for a variety of content completed, allowing the guild to be upgraded to further support the organization's goals.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love the idea. I never got to experience anything like this in an mmorpg but it sounds awesome. I'm really hoping my guild perks will be more than just a skill tree. I would not mind being forced to earn these through guild quests or specific item turn-ins from around the world either.
  • Options
    I echo this. Having played EQ2 for a couple of years, it was one of the most fun parts of the game. I would also add, I would love to see an AA system in place. It was something in EQ1 and 2 that made you want to keep focusing on your main character instead of just creating a bunch of alts.
  • Options
    I think GW2 had some really good systems for guilds being the races, puzzles and bounty hunting. The races especially was a great way to bring the guild together for some friendly competition.
  • Options
    LKJeremy wrote: »
    I echo this. Having played EQ2 for a couple of years, it was one of the most fun parts of the game. I would also add, I would love to see an AA system in place. It was something in EQ1 and 2 that made you want to keep focusing on your main character instead of just creating a bunch of alts.

Yes! The AA system was actually very good. It gave you massive diversity and allowed you to take your class that much further, in many different directions. Not all just one cookie cutter build. It was even better in PvP servers. It also gave you something more to grind for and focus on that took you all around the game, exploring and enjoying questlines, and even farming named bosses etc. Named bosses being able to be farmed for rare loot was also something I truly enjoyed in EQ2, especially as you could do it at any tier, which made it that more special imo.