Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

MMO RPGs Combat styles

2»

Comments

• Options
    I think the classic role choices (tank, DPS, healer) sort of limit your options on combat. You have to fit those roles into whatever you design. That likely means the design can’t really be realistic and may not be optimal as far as the coolness factor.
  • Options
    TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited May 2021
    Khronus wrote: »
    @Tacualeon I'll attempt to respond to your rambling. I'm happy that you understand the tactical aspect of pvp. you sound like a formidable opponent on the battlefield (albeit I'm not sure I would have much of an issue beating you :) ).

Spinning in circles is outmaneuvering to you? I honestly don't see how this will add to the games fun. moving your character around is a thing regardless of bonus damage from behind. I don't want to get hit period so there will be times where I will get behind you or kite you only to charge back at you or harpoon you to where I want you.

You still haven't said anything about back damage being increased for casters. Do they just get excluded from this damage increase or do you really think my "thin" back armor (hahahahaha) is going to increase the amount of magical damage I take?

Basic combat mechanics like avoiding standing in fire, focus firing proper targets, identifying stealth players, and protecting healers is a niche decision to be made? I feel like your ENTIRE arguments revolves around 1v1ing a bunny (with two Illidan WAR GLAIVES.....not swords) and not team play.

What you call rambling, I call constructing an argument.
    I hope someday I can earn a living as a combat designer :)
    If you want more of my time and thought process, and me to explain tactic and how that translate to quality combat and a better experience, then you better
    39d518dfc6935112adf991a1f1cf1e0e.gif

I'm not so desperated to be heard than I'm willing to give thought and time for free and on demand.
    If everyone is free to do with their time what they want, then rarely an opinion about something specific will be equal.
    You would be learning from me: what I have dedicated time to, what I have read about and how I have filtered that information through thought and judgment, while I would get nothing in exchange from you. All I have learned in this exchange is your perspective and things you don't like saying is either too silly or too realistic for an arbitrary reasons.
    Khronus wrote: »
    you sound like a formidable opponent on the battlefield (albeit I'm not sure I would have much of an issue beating you :) ).
    I blushed a little.
    Confidents opponents are the best opponents. I'll be a gentleman in victory. Most of the times :p
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    Dygz wrote: »
    I dunno... I have strong suspicion that the devs are not going to go with making tab-target abilities significantly less powerful than action abilities, in general. There should be a tab-target ability that does similar damage for those players who prefer tab-target combat over action combat, so...
    I expect the Mage primary archetype will not have an ability that does crit damage if hit from behind, but...

We shall see.

I remember someone suggesting that tab-target skills slow you down/lock you in place for a bit, so the tradeoff being:
    Tab targetter: easy to target enemies, but they are also easier to hit
    Action Combatter: harder to hit enemies, but they are also harder to hit

That way you won't have to give anyone less/more damage (?)

Though honestly, if class A is easier to play than class B, I'd prefer if B has advantage

On second thoughts, I don't want to breach this topic.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    VazariVazari Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really loved the combat as a baseline and do love that the autos actually feel engaging but the current implementation is kind of wonky. I agree that being animation locked doesn't feel great but I also don't agree that we should be able to do backflips while in full combo(like wow). I would love to see a system that rewards good positioning while not feeling clunky to play.

Some ideas that I had are as follows:
    1. To make each weapon class to have some type of combo that you can move while doing but also has some type of finisher that you can use while under some small animation lock. Giving you a small amount of bonus damage for completing a combo at the cost of a small loss of mobility. Kind of like a spear thrust and the end of the combo or a big two handed cleave for a battle axe.
    2. Secondly the dodge roll in it's current state feels terrible and useless. I would love to see where the dodge roll can interrupt casts or attacks in order to give you a way for skilled players to take advantage of it. I wouldn't mind if the cooldown was increased but it doesn't feel good to use at all in the current state of the game.
    3. Finally there should be a way to hold down the auto if it is going to be a large part of the game for sure as button spamming doesn't feel very good to play. Abilities are great but definitely would love a larger amount of them but I assume that is just because it is alpha and we don't have weapon skills or anything like that.
  • Options
    YuyukoyayYuyukoyay Member
    edited May 2021
    I like animation lock to some degree. Since it leaves weaknesses in classes. Like in Pokemon when you use solar beam without an item. Since it's such a powerful attack it takes 2 turns to use it. Usually one shots when it hits. What builds in ashes has the potential of imitating is to be able to eliminate animation lock for a few skills as part of a build. That or just reduce it so the window of weakness is lower.

Combat being slow is actually good since it gives you time to think. If combat is too fast then it sometimes makes it less fun because you play an MMO to relax and think a little. Not to time your button presses milliseconds apart from each other at mach speed. Combat that is too fast also has the problem that you tend to spam the same skills a lot more when you don't have a plan yet. Making it kind of boring since you are doing less with each button press. It's just more fun when each button press has the potential to change the outcome of a battle. The faster the combat the less likely this is to achieve.

It's similar to the reason why Warcraft 3 units have hundreds to thousands of points of health. Even though units in Warcraft 2 only had double digit and very few triple digits. Warcraft 2 units have the tendency to die immediately. Warcraft 3 units took a lot longer to die cuz health was high and damage was low. So micro was what made Warcraft 3 the better game. Since the game gave you time to make decisions that could win you the entire battle.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East