Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Creating a City with custom name, but GM needs to moderate the name...

ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I was thinking about this and suggested it a few times to people on discord but what if we were allowed to give a custom name to the city we create, HOWEVER, it has to be moderated by a GM to see whether the name is:

1. Not just random troll name
2. Not full of slurs or other bad words you CERTAINLY wouldn't want to see?

Suggesting this mostly because (at least to my current knowledge) being unable to name the cities we create (or at least use custom names) is a bit disappointing, especially since in some cases it might be that the city was created by a coalition by players and they want to commemorate that moment with a unique name for their own piece of land.

To some it might seem pretty pointless to suggest, but I am sure to those who wish to rule a piece of land with their guild or a big bunch of friends, they wish to have a city they will always be able to point at and say, "That place, is our home." A pregen name is kinda...meh. Doesn't feel much like something of a player's but nothing more than something given.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a bad idea just because of the fact that they are going to most likely pick dumb names anyway. Expect like 80% of the nodes to be dick jokes.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    Sounds like a bad idea just because of the fact that they are going to most likely pick dumb names anyway. Expect like 80% of the nodes to be dick jokes.

They would end up getting declined xP. And if too many dick joked then just a forced pregen name. I mean, sounds pretty simple. No point punishing people who would properly use the feature
  • Options
    I recall it was said that we won't be able to. Which is fine with me. Just more work for the GM team. It can proberly generate issues. Plus who says you will keep being the mayor. So does a new mayor get to rename it if they are in power when it increases in level.
    Various reasons for a no
  • Options
    insomnia wrote: »
    I recall it was said that we won't be able to. Which is fine with me. Just more work for the GM team. It can proberly generate issues. Plus who says you will keep being the mayor. So does a new mayor get to rename it if they are in power when it increases in level.
    Various reasons for a no

The only time you could rename the city is if it was destroyed and someone built a new one, like it usually happened in history. New Mayor has to live with the same city name.

And, tbh, it would only be a lot of work initially. After that it will slow down significantly as cities being built are far less common.

So basically initial surge, and then a steady fall of name verification
  • Options
    KabanKaban Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Another thing to consider is how many languages is there in the world? Moderating the names is impossible because identifying the language (even tho im quite good at it myself) is not an easy task let alone identifying the slur. It would be fun but at the same time yeah... so many dicks around.
  • Options
    Kaban wrote: »
    Another thing to consider is how many languages is there in the world? Moderating the names is impossible because identifying the language (even tho im quite good at it myself) is not an easy task let alone identifying the slur. It would be fun but at the same time yeah... so many dicks around.

That varies by how intrepid is gonna handle languages. If English is main across all servers then the players might just have to roll with english names.
  • Options
    paradaxparadax Member
    How would you feel about naming the city after the 1st Mayor?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    paradax wrote: »
    How would you feel about naming the city after the 1st Mayor?

After a long war between 2 nodes, and the city has been raised to ruin despite victory, the survivors come together and decide to name the city after the leader who united them against the common threat.

Yeah that would work. Besides that, I guess renaming could be possible after a huge event or something. This would require a bit of discussion overall tho, cuz just renaming at any time is just stupid tbh
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There was talk about maybe letting the first mayor pick a name from a preset list. May or May not happen.
    They are trying to avoid BoatyMcBoatface and other less savory names.
    I think a preset list is the way to go.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    There was talk about maybe letting the first mayor pick a name from a preset list. May or May not happen.

I mean, if they want to avoid that, then just have someone moderate names. Make it a Sunday as the only day to rename or something of sort
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    As it stands, they've said they're possibly looking into letting you pick the name off of a list of preset names.

Once that name has been assigned, every other node can no longer pick that one.

Seems as good as creating our own, and probably more lore friendly.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am highly pro pulling names from a list.
    There is an amount of freedom I am not willing to give other players.
    Just play Ark or Atlas on ab official server until you understand my point of view. It should not take long.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Conrad wrote: »

I mean, if they want to avoid that, then just have someone moderate names. Make it a Sunday as the only day to rename or something of sort

So Node hit level 3 and Mr. Boatface becomes Mayor on Monday and the Node goes all week to get a name? What would we call the town? That place over the hill past the river and around the bend?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options

So Node hit level 3 and Mr. Boatface becomes Mayor on Monday and the Node goes all week to get a name? What would we call the town? That place over the hill past the river and around the bend?

Call it finishing off the paperwork, sending the word that this place is now ours?
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We choose the names we want to call the towns/cities from a dev-curated list.
    We get some choice, rather than no choice.
    That's a great compromise.
  • Options
    Would they turn down the name Mushroom Wood. Innocent sounding enough to me. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »

Well, at least player suggestions would be great then.
  • Options

Yeah that would be better. So they can filter out all of the stupid name suggestions ahead of time.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    I doubt it. Names will most likely be based on Steven's lore.
  • Options
    ViBunjaViBunja Member
    What do you think of giving us optional names to name the city? It'd limit us instead of just giving any name, but less work. I think I've seen some games that does this like to shops/taverns, and stuff like that.
  • Options
    SunboySunboy Member
    I agree with OP. We can choose our own character name, guild, ship and so on but not the city? Should not the same rules be applied for all naming?
    Why do cities get special treatment?
  • Options
    Sunboy wrote: »
    I agree with OP. We can choose our own character name, guild, ship and so on but not the city? Should not the same rules be applied for all naming?

Cities are different because they are a part of the map. Do you want to play a game that takes place in Verra or 4chan? I don't know about you but I don't want to run caravans from doge town to pepe shire. It is only cute for an evening tops.

Also I would bet a litter of my own blood that people would name towns after their guild. Which is totally not in the spirit of how nodes are intended to work.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    And, tbh, it would only be a lot of work initially.
    Creating a system that increases the workload of your CS team at the launch of your product is probably not the best idea - they are already going to be swamped.

• Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    Creating a system that increases the workload of your CS team at the launch of your product is probably not the best idea - they are already going to be swamped.

Well varies how fast people get to a nameable level.
  • Options
    I doubt it. Names will most likely be based on Steven's lore.

A bit of player suggestions wouldn't be bad, considering it's meant to be players that name the cities.

Tho, if it will work based on suggestions Baldur's Gate most likely won't be possible anymore due to copyright...unless players name a city as such doesn't count 🤣
  • Options
    SunboySunboy Member
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

Cities are different because they are a part of the map. Do you want to play a game that takes place in Verra or 4chan? I don't know about you but I don't want to run caravans from doge town to pepe shire. It is only cute for an evening tops.

Also I would bet a litter of my own blood that people would name towns after their guild. Which is totally not in the spirit of how nodes are intended to work.

Because they are a Part of the map? Don’t tell me you spend more time looking at the map then player names. Giving the people a choice with moderation is the golden mean. A list with predetermined choices is too moderating.
    I think it would be cool if a guild would be so influential as to get that power to name a whole city after them but guilds come and go and so does cities.
    Much love ❤️
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Noaani wrote: »

Well varies how fast people get to a nameable level.

Not really.

CS time is tight from launch day for the first three months. Adding in hundreds of node name checks to that will only make things worse.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    It's because a player doesn't own a Node. A Node is shared by everyone on the server.
    Steven is going to give us a range of names that match the lore and then the Mayors get to choose the names from those lists.
    Again, that is a great compromise.

These posts of yours that state, "I want Steven to make MY game" are absurd. Steven is making his game; not yours.
  • Options
    Because they are a Part of the map? Don’t tell me you spend more time looking at the map then player names. Giving the people a choice with moderation is the golden mean. A list with predetermined choices is too moderating.
    I think it would be cool if a guild would be so influential as to get that power to name a whole city after them but guilds come and go and so does cities.
    Much love ❤️

I don't like it when people name their characters non RP names too. I don't RP in MMOs at all because I see it as a inferior medium for the practice, but I do not like non RP names in MMOs. The just feel wrong.

I once played on a WOW:Classic RP server due to high pop and long wait times on the normal servers. I learned that you could report non RP names. To me that was the greatest feature I had ever seen. I must have reported an average of 20-30 people an hour for non RP names. I would have reported the name "Sunboy" in a millisecond. Nothing wrong with "Sunboy" as a forum name, but as a character name I would not like it.

I normally argue for player agency and against RP, but non RP names in MMOs is something I don't like. Because I can't draw the line at player names and guild names, I am drawing the line at town names.
    Just my personally take on all this.<3
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    FerniFerni Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's because a player doesn't own a Node. A Node is shared by everyone on the server.

Basically this.

You or your guild are contributing to make a node grow but you nor your guild are going to own it. Even if your guild is the one that contributes the most and becomes one of the patron guild on the node, this node will still not be theirs.

What is going to happen if players from a node want to change the name again because the players who choosed the first name don't even play in that node anymore and they don't like it? Be able to choose a good lore friendly name from a list is good enough.

I feel like this suggestion could fit as a one time reward in a really high tier backer pack as the opportunity to add a node name to the node name list, but not in the game for all players.