Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Creating a City with custom name, but GM needs to moderate the name...

2»

Comments

• Options
    SunboySunboy Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    It's because a player doesn't own a Node. A Node is shared by everyone on the server.
    Owned is the wrong word her but rather controlled by the mayor. The mayor decide what buildings should be built. Close as it comes to ownership if you ask me.
    Steven is making his game; not yours.
    He is making OUR game, komrade ❤️
  • Options
    Yours truly has heard a lot of arguments both ways on this topic.

Ultimately? I'd have to stand in-support of keeping the naming-convention for cities as-is. As @Yuyukoyay pointed out, we're certain to find ourselves in something akin to Harrywood or Las Vages very quickly, otherwise.

We have enough already that we can custom-name; We don't need players spoiling maps for any RP'ers, or otherwise subtracting from the game environment in this manner.

I'm hoping for a better map of city names in-game than IRL Britain....

weirdmap2.jpg

P.S. - Yes, these are real, though they're mostly buried amongst a bunch of normal names, on a full map.

• Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    As long as I can name my Tavern The Tulnars Sack, I'm cool with a list to choose from for towns :)
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'm hoping for a better map of city names in-game than IRL Britain....
    I disagree entirely.

Look at the way Nether Wallop got it's name, for example. Wallop is a Nether is derived from two Old English words that when combined mean "valley of the spring water", or some such, and there are actually three towns in that same valley that have that word present. The word Nether is a bit more difficult to pin down, but it goes back to at least 1086, as it was the name given in the Domesday book. It is safe to say that language has changed since then, but that places name has not.

Westward Ho! was the name of a 1855 bestselling book that was set in the general area. The Earl of Portsmouth (amusingly named Isaac Newton Wallop) bought an estate in the area and built a town in order to capitalize on the book.

The towns hotel that he built was called the Westward Ho!-tel.

One of the four Jumps in the map above was named after the valley it is in (the Jump Valley), which in turn was apparently named by coal miners that had to jump a stream there to get to work.

Catbrain is a term that was used to denote a specific soil type, so it isn't surprising to see a place named after it.

This is why I disagree. While on the surface these names seem funny, many of them have fairly interesting reasons behind them. If the names in Ashes are half as interesting as these names, then the game would be better off.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    ....While on the surface these names seem funny, many of them have fairly interesting reasons behind them. If the names in Ashes are half as interesting as these names, then the game would be better off.

While you make interesting (and enlightening!) points, I somehow don't see this coming about/evolving from letting video game players coming up with the cities' names.

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Noaani made a great point about the lore of the area being the cause of the names of the towns.
    Like the town my parents live in was called Robbers Roost for all the obvious reasons 200 years ago.
    The local lore of the place should have an effect on the name.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Noaani wrote: »
    ....While on the surface these names seem funny, many of them have fairly interesting reasons behind them. If the names in Ashes are half as interesting as these names, then the game would be better off.

While you make interesting (and enlightening!) points, I somehow don't see this coming about/evolving from letting video game players coming up with the cities' names.

Oh, I am not suggesting that should be the case.

I am quite happy with the current situation where players pick from a list of names, I just hope that this list of names reflects a little of each node location.

If the actual town of a given node is near a stream, having names that involve stream, brook or or run would be fitting, whereas if the town is in the mountains, ridge, rock or peak would fit better.

It would be odd having a node named * Ridge if it is in a forest, or *field if it is in the mountains.

If the names are offered to players like this, then we have a better chance of node names being interesting.

I'd really like to see a node near a stream named * Brook or something similar, and then as that node is developed to a metropolis the stream is built over. People coming to it when it is a metropolis would ask "why is this named * Brook, when there is no stream or brook around here", and people that had been there a while can answer with "well, actually...".

I'd also like to see the other half of place names make some sense as well, and the best way to do this is to allow naming of geographic regions rather than just nodes.

Imagine there is an area with a node in a valley, a node on a hill, a node by a large river and a node in a large plain - all close together.

The valley node has access to * Valley, Vale, Basin, Gorge, Pass etc. The river node has access to River, Run, Stream, Bridge etc, the hill node has access to Ridge, Mine, Rock etc and the field one can be field, meadow, green etc.

Each of these has fairly general options associated with it, Iron Ridge, Springfield, etc, but there is also the option to name it after a character or event of note. In our case let's chose Steven and Noaani as the available options.

Let's assume the node on the plain levels up first, and opts to be called Stevenfield. Let's be honest, no one wants to live in Noaani Meadow.

This automatically names the general area as Steven.

When other nodes level up enough to be named, they still have the more general node options, but the options for the node on the hill no longer include Noaani, it can be Steven's Ridge, Stwvens Mine, Steven's Peak, Steven's Hill etc, or even Iron Ridge if they like.

Also, nodes that are not in that general area no longer have the option to use Stsven in their name, but have many, many other options to pick and generate the same naming scheme.

This way, we can have a cluster of nodes in a general area that we can all refer to as Stwven, or perhaps The Stevens, and if you are not in that area, you cant name your node that.

This is how I think node naming would be best implemented.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think the best solution for this idea is to simply let Intrepid design their world and name all of the nodes themselves. Since there is a finite amount of nodes and castles, the names can tie into the quests and the lore. If players are allowed to name the areas, then it would be too much to have quests and lore reference these cities.

If it turns out we get to name our own city I will name mine Epoch (time traveling ship from Chrono Trigger) OR BootyMcClappertonTown. Definitely one of those two options.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The devs could just make a post, and everyone adds one name for a city, and then the devs pick around a 100, and the community votes on the rest
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    The devs could just make a post, and everyone adds one name for a city, and then the devs pick around a 100, and the community votes on the rest

Well they could come up with 2 names themselves and the community gives 2 suggestions for each city. Then the one they like best is picked. That way the community has a chance to pick names and none of the zones are forced to be called Pi Pi Village.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Sunboy wrote: »
    I agree with OP. We can choose our own character name, guild, ship and so on but not the city? Should not the same rules be applied for all naming?
    Why do cities get special treatment?

Cities are different because they are a part of the map. Do you want to play a game that takes place in Verra or 4chan? I don't know about you but I don't want to run caravans from doge town to pepe shire. It is only cute for an evening tops.

Also I would bet a litter of my own blood that people would name towns after their guild. Which is totally not in the spirit of how nodes are intended to work.

Agreed. I refuse to have the town I built with my digital blood, sweat and tears to then be named Nodey McNodeface when the first passing popular idiot rises to power.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    It's going to be at least four possible names for each Node, so Yuyukoyay comes closest to the total number of names required. But... don't expect it to be anywhere near even contribution between devs and players.
    Even if they did allow players to toss names into the hat, it would most likely be less than 25% the available names that the devs will use.
  • Options
    It's going to be at least four possible names for each Node, so Yuyukoyay comes closest to the total number of names required. But... don't expect it to be anywhere near even contribution between devs and players.
    Even if they did allow players to toss names into the hat, it would most likely be less than 25% the available names that the devs will use.

I'm not that confident that they would actually choose many player suggestions, but those are just in case someone says a name that is better than their initial idea. Sometimes it changes stuff internally when people give really good suggestions.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    Well...maybe they will make it a Dev Discussion topic at some point.
    Feel free to start a thread asking for people to submit city names.
  • Options
    GrihmGrihm Member
    I would like to know from any of the dev´s, how the system of reporting a name would go?
    In a lot of MMO´s, reporting names have a tendency to work and being noticed the first few weeks, or month´s if lucky. Then, it usually goes downhill and players with very clear abusive names go on to keep existing for years even.

The level of some people when they choose a " name " to be as offensive as possible knows very few boundaries, and for many, it´s a " funny " contest to annoy roleplayers.