Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Let's be clear, do we want AOC to be an excellent MMO or not?

MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
edited May 2021 in General Discussion
Brothers and sisters, if we want AOC to be a great MMO, if we want it to be unique and the MMO that we deserve then we must do everything possible to make that happen, we must do our part to help them create that dream for which they are fighting.
Yesterday I found out that Jeff retired from the project, the first thing I did is send a motivational message to Steven, they are human, they get tired, they have doubts, they have fears, they are fighting and IT IS A DUTY AS FUTURE AOC PLAYERS to support the people who are struggling to give us joy in our lives.

Let's discuss more, give more ideas, support them , an encouraging message can be a great help, give them the energy to continue building that MMO that we deserve.

It will be a long fight with many falls and successes , if we want something great and unique, we must all fight together, both the community and the company.

TOGETHER AS BROTHERS WE WILL ACHIEVE GREAT THINGS OR DIE IN THE TRY BUT WE WILL FIGHT TO THE END FOR OUR DREAMS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S02D9QzDe4s
EDym4eg.png

Comments

• Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    A little too cult-y but sure
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    Not
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited May 2021
    Where do I line up for the koolaid?

Dont get me wrong I like the spirit but maybe we should chill out a bit instead.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    GoatrekGoatrek Member
    haha this post is gold.
  • Options
    Who are we fighting?

Support them animally? Typo?
  • Options
    Who are we fighting?

My english is not the best , i have a few mistakes , I will improve little by little :)

EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    Who are we fighting?

BTW , thanks for the corrections, that helps me a lot
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Tell us how you really feel?

It's good to be supportive, but the only thing worth being extremist about is love.
  • Options
    Don’t worry, your passion makes up for it. We all want to see this game succeed. But at the same time we also need to wait and see whether the promises are delivered. I’ve seen too much blind faith in a lot of really bad games. Pathfinder Online being one of those. There are YouTube videos that show just how bad.
  • Options
    Don’t worry, your passion makes up for it. We all want to see this game succeed. But at the same time we also need to wait and see whether the promises are delivered. I’ve seen too much blind faith in a lot of really bad games. Pathfinder Online being one of those. There are YouTube videos that show just how bad.

Yes, I have had those disappointments too , But, my passion is reflected in the passion of the developers and the entire AOC team, especially Steve, if I did not see that effort they are putting into it, I would not support them.Supporting the one who strives is a very sensible thing to do
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited May 2021
    Combat lacks the most important things which I have repeteadly talked about but my words have not reached relevant ears, sadly.
    The thing keeping my eyes on Ashes is the direction of the aesthetics of the game, which I interpret as a sign of criterion.
    If there is criterion and thought, there is hope. If there is thought, there is taste.
    We are going somewhere, the reason: aesthetics.

I don't think they have much idea about what tactics or strategy actually means.
    I'm not a programmer, nor an engineer, nor an artist. But I'm a strategist and tactical minded individual which happens to love pvp interaction in all expressions, specially third person.
    All I've done since I was 5 is play strategy and fighting games. And I did some coaching for professional e-sports.

This game looks gorgeous, but it has no sauce, punch or combat flow.
    I barely know any programming, but I fully know the fundaments of combat, about táctical gameplay, strategy and combat flow.
    I really wished some dev would come by, just let us know where are not talking to the wall and wasting our time.
    I have 75 unfinished draft of suggestions, with examples and arguments that I gave up mid-way because I hate wasting my time writing things in detail no one relevant will ever read. Setting the QA submission post aside, how sure are you someone from Intrepid actually reads a single sentence you put time into writing?
    My time and criterion are the most expensive thing I have. I write because I would like seeing changes based on tactical fundaments and strategy. I have been trying to stir the wheel in the direction of tactic and strategy.
    But:
    -The concept is above what they know
    -They don't care
    -They think I don't know what I'm talking about

I know they want my money. I want them to have my money.
    I'm a combat nerds that knows better, I want combat to be as high quality as the graphics.
    Steven doesn't strike me as someone particular interested or invested in the pvp experience.

I wish we could chat, or at least ask questions to the lead combat designer.
    Combat has no direction. And I feel I have no means to help it.

I hope combat gets as much thought as Intrepid has given to aesthetics. I hope Ashes combat go somewhere cool, for strategic and exciting reasons.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

How you know this? You an insider?

They are hiring.
    https://intrepidstudios.com/careers
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    It would be an uphill battle from the start. They would want you to tow the line and you would want to revolutionise the combat. It doesn't make for a harmonious relationship. I'm not sure what the combat revamp will achieve, if we get ability synergies, fluid combat, weighty combat and expanded combat then the game will be a hit. I don't envy the Devs in the tasks ahead the main light remains Steven when he said 'You might spec into bleeds in your weapon skills and harness the bleed through your class abilities'. Perhaps we haven't seen the full scope of the combat plan because weapon abilities and passive abilities are yet to be implemented.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2021

They are hiring.
    https://intrepidstudios.com/careers

You actually read the entire wall of text? Wow.

I'm insider of the universal fundaments of strategy.
    I only play game that involves strategy and action at the same time since 1996.
    Some nerds can plan, but can't act.
    Some adrenaline junkies can act, but can't plan.
    I like both. The theorycrafting of builds and the outplays in arenas and battlegrounds.
    I have plenty of books of strategy and warfare, and a statue of Athena in my bedroom.
    I started playing chess at 6.
    Played wow at 13.
    Started playing speed-chess at 16.
    Became e-sport coach at 19.
    In videogame I've fund the dynamic and artistic value I didn't find in chess.
    In mmorpg and mobas I found the tactical and strategic value I didn't find in FPS.
    There is no tactical motivation for the combat in Ashes right now and little strategic value out of the simple meleeVsrange scenario.

Everyone can tell you something is tactical or have a strategic gameplay but when gameplay doesn't support that it makes them just empty words.
    combat1.png
    If someone every tries to sell you something tactical, what tactics means and how it differentiate from strategy is a good question.

I'm only interested in combat design and player versus player interaction.
    I don't live in USA, I don't have the technical skills of a Senior and Intrepid only hire Seniors.
    I'm aware of my curret technical limitations, If they ever open position for juniors I will try.

On the matters of pointing out what is tactical and strategic gameplay and what is not I think I'm second to none and I have arguments in case anyone is interested and has the power to actually change things for good.
    The best I can do for the game right know is point flaws, provide ideas and solutions, hope Intrepid read the forum and takes me serious.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Tacualeon
    You need to trust the community managers that they are reading the threads - because it's their job to communicate activity here to the rest of the team.
    I think they've heard you already - but you cannot expect them to reply to every thread.
    It's because of posts like yours and others that they *know* they aren't happy with combat just yet.

The thing is, you and I want a rich combat experience that the entire genre is lacking, but it's totally foreign to people who haven't had this experience can't imagine how that level of combat could work in an MMO - because BDO/BladeNSoul are the current cutting edge standards for combat in MMOs, yet BDO only catered to zerging.

Because if this, most people can't see your vision, and it will take a fully implemented example to show people what you have in your head - and even then, it's not just about convincing the Devs that your idea is good, but the entire player community - and at the moment the majority of the MMO community still wants a boss that sits still. I mean, even ideas from MoBAs are being shut down. (Even though they are literally 5v5 combat with proven success).

What I'm saying is: I think your combat ideas are at least 5 years too early, because the MMO community will not embrace it even if you implement it.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    and at the moment the majority of the MMO community still wants a boss that sits still.

I don't think this is a true reflection of the majority. PvPers are outnumbered by PvEers and none of us have asked for stationary bosses. If you can tame a boss, then you can control a boss, but, the dragons are a fine example of bosses that won't be controlled for long.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Neurath wrote: »
    and at the moment the majority of the MMO community still wants a boss that sits still.

I don't think this is a true reflection of the majority. PvPers are outnumbered by PvEers and none of us have asked for stationary bosses. If you can tame a boss, then you can control a boss, but, the dragons are a fine example of bosses that won't be controlled for long.

That's fair, I can't say I've surveyed a large portion of the MMO community for their thoughts haha
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Think you missed the point.
    Two things. They have said they are redoing the whole combat system AND as often as it gets said a lot of people still refuse to listen. It is still pre-alpha and most of what we see is a place holder while they are building the world and server's.
    You don't build pyramids from the top down.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    I find the pyramid reference quite ironic since in the early days they called the game a pyramid scheme. Oh how wrong they were.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I dunno how anyone expects to be happy with combat in an Alpha One PREVIEW where the focus of the TESTING is on logins, network stability, optimization and population density.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @Tacualeon
    The thing is, you and I want a rich combat experience that the entire genre is lacking, but it's totally foreign to people who haven't had this experience can't imagine how that level of combat could work in an MMO - because BDO/BladeNSoul are the current cutting edge standards for combat in MMOs, yet BDO only catered to zerging.

Because if this, most people can't see your vision, and it will take a fully implemented example to show people what you have in your head - and even then, it's not just about convincing the Devs that your idea is good, but the entire player community - and at the moment the majority of the MMO community still wants a boss that sits still. I mean, even ideas from MoBAs are being shut down. (Even though they are literally 5v5 combat with proven success).

What I'm saying is: I think your combat ideas are at least 5 years too early, because the MMO community will not embrace it even if you implement it.

My whole life in two sentences.

Forget the masses, forget the average Joe who can't see into the future.
    The solar calendar was brought by Julio Caesar, the metric system by Napoleon.
    Humans have this tendency for sticking to the old because is safe, big changes requires strong minds, strong wills and assertiveness.

We are not early, we are ahead of the curve.
    Blade and Soul is 10 years old. That's the average Joe cutting edge standard.
    I would follow one enlighthened and strong willed individual a thousand time over the consensus of a group of people.

In this case, I rather follow Steven's vision than what the community want. People in groups is a recipe for getting stagnant.

One dude has to be the tip of the spear and tell the others there is something better waiting ahead.
    Excelsior and plus ultra ✌️
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Tacualeon wrote: »
    @Tacualeon

My whole life in two sentences.

Forget the masses, forget the average Joe who can't see into the future.
    The solar calendar was brought by Julio Caesar, the metric system by Napoleon.
    Humans have this tendency for sticking to the old because is safe, big changes requires strong minds, strong wills and assertiveness.

We are not early, we are ahead of the curve.
    Blade and Soul is 10 years old. That's the average Joe cutting edge standard.
    I would follow one enlighthened and strong willed individual a thousand time over the consensus of a group of people.

In this case, I rather follow Steven's vision than what the community want. People in groups is a recipe for getting stagnant.

One dude has to be the tip of the spear and tell the others there is something better waiting ahead.
    Excelsior and plus ultra ✌️

I mean the thing about visionaries, is that the cult of personality just devolves into a cult. What you described is a cult.

Holding Steven accountable and grounded is what's best for the game and for us as well. You can be hyped and enthusiastic, collaborative and participative, but just gobbling down whatever they put out without question is either for gloryholes or cults.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Asgerr wrote: »
    I mean the thing about visionaries, is that the cult of personality just devolves into a cult. What you described is a cult.

Holding Steven accountable and grounded is what's best for the game and for us as well. You can be hyped and enthusiastic, collaborative and participative, but just gobbling down whatever they put out without question is either for gloryholes or cults.

Don't missunderstand me.
    I think individual visions have to push the groups because otherwise groups and structures become stagnant and rancid.

I want to give Steven a fare chance to show his vision.
    I hope the game doesn't end up a beautiful re-skin of something 20 years old gameplay.

Steven doesn't strike me as someone who is particulary into the pvp experience.
    I have been in leadership position, although in smaller scales, and I appreciate thoughtful feedbacks.
    That's how I'm trying to contribute since combat is my specialization. Feeding filtered thoughts.
  • Options
    ThexBlackxKnightThexBlackxKnight Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    @Tacualeon

As someone who played on the same Archegae server as Steven , I can tell you he was a avid pvp player. His guild was fighting the whole server.

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Agreed, Steven is major into PvP.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    Agreed, Steven is major into PvP.

Yep , 24hrs pvp
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    I mean, even ideas from MoBAs are being shut down. (Even though they are literally 5v5 combat with proven success).

Imo this has a really good point. Mobas are constant peak MMOish combat. What i mean by this is they work with the same type of abilities as MMOs (mage things, fighter things etc.), the same stats (hp, armor, haste, etc.), they have the same classes (tanks in the front, squishy dps in the back, assassins trying to avoid the tanks and 1shot the supports). And its good combat cuz the whole game is just combat so it has to be good. It has strategy, differnt build types, synergy in the abilities, but u get the micro stuff too, u can express high skill, react to enemys, executing combos.

But Mobas are just that pointless good combat. U need an MMORPG to give meaning to this combat.

Imagine a game with AOCs systems, pvp and social interaction focus, with LOLs combat, and WOWs class identity (and a small portion of high lvl instanced PvE, wich is not there for loot more like for fun and achievements).
  • Options
    Well, it has officially been 1 year.
    Aoc continues to strive, improve and surpass itself and the community is increasingly united with the same goal, to try to support AoC to continue improving.

Teamwork :)
    E1m1Yyv.png
    EDym4eg.png