Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What if instanced dungeons were designed to be hardcore?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Personally I like the idea of having both because I’d do both depending on my mood at the time. But I don’t want to get to endgame and be forced to go into an open world dungeon each time I log on to do PvE. I would like to see about 8-10 max level dungeons with some taking a solid hour to run until you know the dungeon and then maybe take 30-40 minutes. Why? Because I’ve played plenty of open world dungeons in PvP and PvE dungeons and the 500th time you get train wiped by non PvP flagged people you will be saying “why can’t I just get on and play an hour doing a run without gankers and wankers screwing up my run every time.
    Then there’s boss camping and the worse thing that it opens up exploitable paths for people not even playing for PvE flag but just screwing you 20 ways come Sunday with no penalty. I sometimes would just like to log in, get a small guild group or friends group or just random people to go on a quest.. You could Even work in dailies and such as “Go to X dungeon and on the final floor there’s a troll god, get his two Lightning Controller Ring, one for me and one for you and I’ll give you a sword recipe to forge the Lightning Dragon Sword.”
    Just things like that to add verity to the runs and quest.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes doesn't have an endgame.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Proxy

Just going to offer up my own personal insight to this topic. Take it as you will.

My gut speculation is that the 20% instanced dungeons is "As needed for story". I imagine that this means that the instanced dungeons would be pretty easy.

I offer to reasons why you may not want instanced dungeons at all in a game like Ashes.

1: It takes people out of the focus of the game, which is an open world focused on Risk vs Reward.

2: Hardcore instanced content requires that skills and gear are tuned and balanced around that content. Since the majority of the game takes place in the open world, you would want skills and gear to be balanced with open world content as the priority.

I say this not to shit on the idea of hardcore instanced content. I love that stuff in other games, but it is not something I think many expect from Ashes. I hope this prospective is helpful in some way.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    IronhopeIronhope Member
    edited August 2021
    I don't see any reason why we can't have easy instances AND hardcore instances (obviously the hardcore ones will have the best rewards).

I don't see any reasons why we can't have team-members-only portal instances AND open world instances (obviously the open world ones will have the best rewards).