Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What tools are given to Roleplayers?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    There is an addon in World of Warcraft called Total Roleplay 3 (TRP3).
    This single addon kept me playing for 4 years.
    DEVS - please. Consider an in-game tool similar to TRP3.
    This gave players the ability to create massive portfolios of their character's traits, characteristics, appearance, moods, history, and more.
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Saljourn wrote: »
    This gave players the ability to create massive portfolios of their character's traits, characteristics, appearance, moods, history, and more.

Yeah, this sort of thing should be pretty easy to implement so I hope they will, at least late beta
  • Options
    wherediditrunwherediditrun Member
    edited September 2021
    Noaani wrote: »

In the same way a tabletop game simply can't compete with an MMO for raid content in terms of complexity (unless you have several years worth of weekly sessions per encounter), MMO's simply can't compete with tabletop for the actual RP experience they offer.

People trying to mix either of these ruin both mediums.

How? Because your statement sounds more like an uninformed guess expressed as a statement of fact.
    You can for sure have rather competitive cut throat content and roleplay at the same time.

The only thing which is necessary for roleplay is the rather strict and unavoidable sanctions for people breaking out of character in environments where other players may notice it without prior consent.

Removal of global chats as a game mechanic which makes no sense while from the perspective of game world helps a lot. Bet stuff like emotes and so are just a nice to have, not a necessity.

This cuts perhaps a bit different for some people. As in RP environment player based guilds do not make much sense. What you have is generally "factions" where membership of said faction is tied to players character, not to the player themselves.

Due to this character and player separation you generally end up with way healthier community overall. As people tend to less likely take things personally. It's also a lot more fun actually.. even if you like pvp stuff more. As it gives the "why" for everything and the action feel more meaningful from players perspective.

In my experience even people who at first are skeptical of it often grow to enjoy it with some help. As it quickly becomes apparent that roleplay is the player generated content. And given that there is no "me" in the world, but the "character" players are more free to create player driven events, stories, narratives in other terms player generated content while not tying their egos to it too much. Still happens, not as much though.

I hope we will have dedicated roleplay servers at some point. Ashes has a lot of potential in this regard unlike WoW for example, now will they use it? Time will tell.
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Saljourn wrote: »

They already plan on it.

They want it to be a part of the Character Page w/ plans on an in-game browser to open up where you can read a character's backstory (through both achievements and player written pages) and other similar things found in mods like TRP and MyRP
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Noaani wrote: »

In the same way a tabletop game simply can't compete with an MMO for raid content in terms of complexity (unless you have several years worth of weekly sessions per encounter), MMO's simply can't compete with tabletop for the actual RP experience they offer.

People trying to mix either of these ruin both mediums.

How? Because your statement sounds more like an uninformed guess expressed as a statement of fact.
    You can for sure have rather competitive cut throat content and roleplay at the same time.
    I didn't say competitive or cut throat, I said complex.

A high raid in many games will generate 10,000 lines of ability data, each line being the result of at least 3 rolls of the dice.

How long do you think it would take to make that happen with a tabletop game?