Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Voice Chat Or Speech Bubble

2»

Comments

• Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    Speech bubbles should be something someone can toggle on or off

I for one will always have them toggled on, and I sincerely hope they keep that as an option.
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Maezriel wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »
    You can see that DBM injects the mechanics timer into chat, so the raid can see when it via the chat bubble.
    Something I don't think we will have to worry about with Ashes. Not because we won't have meters, but because it is easier to prevent third-party programs from doing things like this.

Instead of injecting numbers you could just have the text like "Stack on me" or "Spread".
    Again, I think that's already covered by that "giant global text" Steven, Maggie and Toast use to give us directions for forming a raid or how to prep for the next siege.
    Seems likely raid leaders will have access to that.
    As for your take on macros I don't agree. There's a huge divide between automating your rotation like in some expansions in WoW and being able to click a button to bark your guild recruitment. A basic macro system wouldn't break the game in any way.

Not my take on macros. They just are not expected to be in the game. I think there are other instances of Intrepid saying there will not be macro support, but this is the one on the wiki:
    The issue with macros is that from an anti cheat metric perspective it's difficult to define what a macro is against a script. And in order to catch all scripts sometimes you have to prevent the macro usage. So really that's a that's a data issue. If we allow for macros then we lose our ability to precisely ban script users, botters.[6] – Steven Sharif

I worded my response above as if that is common knowledge because I have seen a few threads this last year complaining about no macros. Specifically, old and disabled people really want macros.

Personally, I see macros as a tool. If a situation calls for that tool, I would use them.

That's fair, sorry for jumping to it being your personal opinion. There's been a few odd decisions like this that tend to stick out and mix that in w/ the endless suggestions/opinions it's not always easy to tell what exactly is Intrepid and what's the players.

I feel the same way. I only remember the macro thing because of the number of times handicapped, and older people have brought it up in the last year. It is a fair argument. Macros can help people with limited movement do a lot more.

I also get that any game with tabbed targeting is going to be extremely vulnerable to bots. I guess the idea is that it is easier to have bot detection when macros don't exist because bots use repetitive keystrokes and key press timings the same way macros do.

If I was a botter I would just add some randomized input lag between each key stoke to mimic humans inprefection. Just like DPS meters, it will be an endless game of cat and mouse. I guess Intrepid thinks no macros is more helpful than hurtful.

I could never play a game like FFXI without macros, but I rarely use macros in most modern MMOs other than for raid call outs or mouse over macros.

On top of that bots should be fairly easy to spot and report so as long as Intrepid stays true to their promise of live GMs I don't think the risk of them abusing macros outweighs the benefits to players, both disabled and otherwise.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    Voice chats will be annoying as some ... person will be loud and/or obnoxious. Speech bubbles are just bad. Both will be turned off if possible.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2021
    Giant global text is limited to being right in the middle of your screen so directions have to take that into account.

However, a speech bubble from an officer simply saying Follow Me will pop up right in their location same for people fighting a boss, having a speech bubble right next to you say "Go Left" can be followed, whereas if it pops up for the group on the other side of the boss you can quickly know to ignore it.

This is why I keep equating it to formation flags from ancient militaries.
    Ah. Thanks for the clarification.
    Stuck in the middle of the screen vs directional.
    One of the things I love about good sound design in MMORPGs is being able to orient by sound to find the direction of the source.
    Communicating by chat bubbles is not something I would be interested in paying attention to in a fight, I think, but at least I understand the request.
  • Options
    VO for roleplay propose like doing uber service to players , while i singe tales about vera or the recent news about the world, but yes in games like rust works but in AOC crowded areas can be the hell