Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I want a recall stone.

Menda GoodbodyMenda Goodbody Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
I know you want us to travel everywhere manually, and for the most part I agree. However, it would be nice to have a "once a day" recall to the nearest city/town/whatever. It would help friends gather up when they first login or let a player relax and log off for the night in town...

Comments

• Options
    There is already the family system to help friends group up. I'm personally skeptical about any fast travel as it can be abused some way or another. We'll have to see how it is implemented before asking for something different I guess. There are already threads on how to best prevent abuse etc.
  • Options
    I would not be against a "flight path" type system for node-to-node travel. Flight paths from WoW are op, so maybe instead you can afk hop on a caravan that travels from your current node to an allied node. They could leave every x minutes and would be attackable by enemy players.

This would not be a fast travel, as it would take just as long or maybe even slower than traveling by mount (considering mount sprinting or whatever). However, this would let you be afk for a bit of time, to eat some food irl or something, but still leave you vulnerable to the open world PvP. Risk vs reward, and all that.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I very much agree. I love that the world is open, and giant, and it will take a long time to get places. What I dislike is having to travel all the way back once our raid/roam is done.

The risk here is that you kill a boss and have to then travel back while potentially dying and losing the loot you just earned. I like this and I understand it completely but there does need to be some form of "oh shit I need to log off RIGHT NOW". I don't want to be forced to log back in and then have to travel back to town. This just seems backwards from quality of life changes that have evolved over the years. Put it on a FAT cooldown but give us the chance to "hearth" back home to mommy.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited July 2021
    Hard pass. The whole point of the open world flagging system is to allow players to interact with each other and potentially risk death to get your resources if they dont like you.

Being able to farm rare or valuable materials and then immediately teleporting to a city will cause a ton of issues.

In ashes you are at risk of losing something if you dont work to defend yourself. That's a core principle of the game that would be damaged with a hearthstone like feature.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Menda GoodbodyMenda Goodbody Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Hard pass. The whole point of the open world flagging system is to allow players to interact with each other and potentially risk death to get your resources if they don't like you.

Being able to farm rare or valuable materials and then immediately teleporting to a city will cause a ton of issues.

In ashes you are at risk of losing something if you don't work to defend yourself. That's a core principle of the game that would be damaged with a hearthstone like feature.

I disagree that a once a day travel would change the game that much.

• Options
    GrihmGrihm Member
    I know you want us to travel everywhere manually, and for the most part I agree. However, it would be nice to have a "once a day" recall to the nearest city/town/whatever. It would help friends gather up when they first login or let a player relax and log off for the night in town...

No to the fullest. This is how it starts.
    Then... " but if we have that..i want this " and the snowball rolls down to the swamp.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am against it.

If they implement it anyway, it needs to be like the family travel system, where you can't do it with any kind of loot you can drop upon death, and just to the nearest node of lvl 1 or higher. Not porting to a specific one.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Grihm wrote: »
    No to the fullest. This is how it starts.
    Then... " but if we have that..i want this " and the snowball rolls down to the swamp.

a simple example is the hearthstone in WoW
    1h cd originally, finally to see it down to 30 min and even 15 if in guild with high level enough (when there was guild level)

When you begin to ease a thing, it is a door you open for "ever more".

Because "1 day CD is really long, 18h would be better, it allows to have it up when you come back home even if you used it just when you stopped to go in bed" and then another reason to ask less, and less. Some time, just saying "no", even if only a really little bit help could be nice for the game, is better for long term.

The game is around having a large world, and time to go from one point to the other. on another topic, it was for the same reason i said i was totally against an autotravel like in BDO. While i like it in BDO and think it fits well with the game, And could appreciate it in some kind of MMORPG, not in a sandbox in witch "fast travel" is limited to scientific node (with a lot of limitations). I am already quite not sure if family teleport is really a good thing so getting more . . .

about the need of "insta DC" i think there is some solution.
    the really dangerous place is dungeon, make the relog of character who was inside a dungeon... just in the entry. (and due to short logout from little matter like desync, or box doing a reboot, lets wait the dc be like 10 min, or 30min long for it)
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    No, thanks. It’s a slippery slope toward travel becoming meaningless.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    24h coldown stone would be ok, if you can only use it with your inventory empty
  • Options
    Sure you can have a recall stone, but your mats stay behind. There’s a caravan system in play. Can’t have means of bypassing content.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited July 2021
    Ramirez wrote: »
    24h coldown stone would be ok, if you can only use it with your inventory empty

Then the game becomes "I'll do one big resource gather/quest adventure a day and use my free teleport to bypass any possible dangers".

Realistically people are going to do 1 big resource gather/distant quest adventure a day unless they are hardcore, so really this "24 hour compromise" is actually an entire gamechanger since it essentially just becomes a "time to do my daily resource gathering" instead of what you're intending

"Once a week" is closer to a "compromise" but still pretty bad.

Why are we even toying with the idea of invalidating the core concepts of the game?

Edit: The only way a recall stone wouldn't break the game is if similar to what you said it teleported you but left a lootbag of all your droppable items where you teleported from. Then another player could stumble upon where you were and take all of it.

That way you get to go home if you need to, and other people aren't missing out on banditry
  • Options
    VinnyVinny Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dreoh wrote: »
    Why are we even toying with the idea of invalidating the core concepts of the game?

Honestly couldn't have put that better myself.

It's just my personal opinion but I think there shouldn't be any fast travel at all in the game. Even for stuff like the scientific nodes as it would kill any sense of scale in the world just to TP around it.

But even just a home TP stone would just be a minor convenience at best and could bring with it a myriad of game-play issues and exploits that is really not worth it in the long run, and that's ignoring the fact that Intrepid is trying to make a genuinely interesting and unique open world with global PvP.

In a lesser game devs would normally implement things like fast travel to cover the fact that their world is just empty with copy/pasted trash mobs with nothing to naturally explore and discover.

It was my understanding that with Ashes they're aiming for a open-world where just by traveling back from a dungeon or resource gathering that you could discover something interesting that you never would have seen otherwise.

Just my two cents, take what you will from it.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Vinny wrote: »
    It was my understanding that with Ashes they're aiming for a open-world where just by traveling back from a dungeon or resource gathering that you could discover something interesting that you never would have seen otherwise.

Yep - it also reinforces the core risk v. reward aspect of travel.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited July 2021
    People have become too entitled in gaming in general.

They run out far from their base, look at their map and see how far they have to run to get back and... despair?

So you have to put in effort. I'm sorry, but just because you "don't want to have to walk back" doesn't mean you shouldn't have to. Maybe take that return trip into account when you set out in the first place.

It makes me angry that people complain when anything has even an ounce of effort tied to it, so they try to cheapen the experience for others.

You have to run through another zone to get to the zone you want to be at? Enjoy the trip and put in the effort. Don't whine about wanting flying mounts or teleports or fast travel because effort scares you.

Edit: I always hear the complaint that "But our time is too valuable to waste on such things". Well yes, but if you really felt that way you wouldn't/shouldn't be playing an MMO (or games in general) in the first place.
  • Options
    No, that changes the core values of this game and that is a big N-O.
    If you want fast travel and being able to go from point A to B quicker, maybe AoC isn't the game for you? And that's okay!
  • Options
    GrihmGrihm Member
    Modern day laziness.
    In Star Wars Galaxies, when we wanted to leave a planet, you had to use a ship at a special port.
    This ship originally was once every 30 min.

Becoming a Jedi took between 6 month´s to a full year IRL time.

Time is the one thing needed to expand a game beyond a mobile mentality of " click and achievement ".

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am once again reporting in as against teleports of all kinds.

This includes planned things such as scientific nodes and family summons.

It is just bad for open world-based competition and goes against the core concept of risk vs reward.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    LMAO
    It really seems more and more that you should be playing some other game.
    Open world competition and risk v reward is not as extreme as you apparently imagine.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Do not hold up Hologrinding as some kind of virtue. I'm pretty sure that SOE violated the Geneva Convention with that one. :(

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Arthus DawnbreakerArthus Dawnbreaker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021
    traveling from one location to another is part of the fun and the "Adventure" Its part of the fantasy. For example traveling to another city to deliver goods creates a opportunity for story, new scenarios like ambushes and npc encounters you might find on the road an npc or player that needs rescuing. It also would open up the world to you an help you to discover and explore new things on your way to where you are heading. MMO 101 Story is king and in order for the story to progress you need to live and interact with the world around you. Flying or instant travel from point a to b skips over those opportunities of fun interaction and story and makes the world smaller.
  • Options
    SoggyBandaidSoggyBandaid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021
    I agree in general with the hard pass on town portal. Sure I found it inconvenient when I had to run a couple nodes over to turn in a quest or sell my loot, but the journey wasn't really inconvenient, it was perilous and strategic and more than once I found some really cool quest hooks that made it feel like I was really exploring a world. This is before some of the more epic pillars are implemented like caravan raids and real open world PVP. I would not want AoC to compromise on this point.

However, I'm a total casual with a family, and if I have to go afk or sign out, I don't really want to be stuck in the middle of murder mobs, especially with xp debt on death. In this regard I actually hope the devs keep some form of the ley line teleport available to get unstuck in alpha. They never return you to a town, but they're usually safe enough to go afk for a couple minutes, and if a ganker wants to pk me while I'm away... well that's on me.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    However, I'm a total casual with a family, and if I have to go afk or sign out, I don't really want to be stuck in the middle of murder mobs, especially with xp debt on death. In this regard I actually hope the devs keep some form of the ley line teleport available to get unstuck in alpha.

Honestly, I think that’s an example of risk v. Reward they are taking into account by NOT providing any fast travel options.

My guess is that you would hear Intrepid recommend you logout before they would give you an insta-safe easy button.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    I'm against the hearthstone thing too.
    Traveling matters, that's a key aspect of Ashes. And that's why players are supposed to "plan their trip" in Ashes - either time your farming / adventure and travel back to a node before you need to logout, or have a plan to find a quiet spot to logout in the wild, or find a nearby tavern to logout.
    McShave wrote: »
    I would not be against a "flight path" type system for node-to-node travel. Flight paths from WoW are op, so maybe instead you can afk hop on a caravan that travels from your current node to an allied node. They could leave every x minutes and would be attackable by enemy players.

This would not be a fast travel, as it would take just as long or maybe even slower than traveling by mount (considering mount sprinting or whatever). However, this would let you be afk for a bit of time, to eat some food irl or something, but still leave you vulnerable to the open world PvP. Risk vs reward, and all that.

That might be a good idea though, it gives an incentive (the ability to semi-afk travel) and encourages more ppl to defend caravans.
  • Options
    Get rid of Family Summon too while you're shelving this one.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Modern day laziness.
    In Star Wars Galaxies, when we wanted to leave a planet, you had to use a ship at a special port.

Time is the one thing needed to expand a game beyond a mobile mentality of " click and achievement ".

I would argue that the line between "click and achieve" and "this takes way too long to balance life and gaming" is much bigger than you seem to suggest.

I'm torn between both sides of this argument. I want a way to not get stuck 45 minutes from being able to log out of the game but I also would HATE for players to simply hearth home after a raid and not have any risk on the return travel. With current direction, my option is to simply log out where I am and have to hoof it back alone later.

At what point do we/they realize that the game should still be fun to play. A good life is about give and take from all parties involved. Games are no different.
  • Options
    GrihmGrihm Member
    Khronus wrote: »
    Modern day laziness.

I would argue that the line between "click and achieve" and "this takes way too long to balance life and gaming" is much bigger than you seem to suggest.

I'm torn between both sides of this argument. I want a way to not get stuck 45 minutes from being able to log out of the game but I also would HATE for players to simply hearth home after a raid and not have any risk on the return travel. With current direction, my option is to simply log out where I am and have to hoof it back alone later.

At what point do we/they realize that the game should still be fun to play. A good life is about give and take from all parties involved. Games are no different.

A simple log out system that allows you to safely log out where you are, problem solved.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    Modern day laziness.

A simple log out system that allows you to safely log out where you are, problem solved.

That creates another problem though.

You see people coming to attack you for all your loot? Just log out and wait them out.

This new issue is then solved by a logout timer, where even if you force-close your character persists in the world for that timer, but then you run into complaints of people who logged out stress-free with no perceived danger, so they skipped the countdown, and then they maybe die to some mob that wandered too close after they closed the game or some player who just came over the nearby hill and sees them before the character disappears.

That being said, the latter is still preferable
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dreoh wrote: »
    Modern day laziness.

That creates another problem though.

You see people coming to attack you for all your loot? Just log out and wait them out.

This new issue is then solved by a logout timer, where even if you force-close your character persists in the world for that timer, but then you run into complaints of people who logged out stress-free with no perceived danger, so they skipped the countdown, and then they maybe die to some mob that wandered too close after they closed the game or some player who just came over the nearby hill and sees them before the character disappears.

That being said, the latter is still preferable

I would say the former is preferable.

Put a 10 secoand countdown time for logging out, but make that countdown viable for everyone.

If you are attacked before the timer runs out, you aren't logging out.

That way, you cant just log out on someone if you perceive danger
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    Put a 10 secoand countdown time for logging out, but make that countdown viable for everyone.

If you are attacked before the timer runs out, you aren't logging out.

Agreed. The old /camp rule is just fine.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png