Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

controller input

i feel like with technology today there should be an option to use controllers main reason i dont play games like this is because we cant. this game looks amazing and im sure ill get it eather way but still what would be an easy $500 purchess from me is now only gonna be the little $75 pack simply becase no controller your basically losing money if games like WOW and FFXIV can u can.

Comments

• Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    FFXIV and BDO proved controller a way to fit with MMORPG gameplay (keyboard/mouse remains usefull to speak and don't forget that it is a major thing in MMORPG). But WoW ? nope not controller.

BDO is not totally successfull because of the dynamic system with 7 inupt + character direction + camera to use... but they did a good work, and for farming content it is enough even for me who never use controller (i only tried for curiosity)
    They also did a good work with all menu, craft and shits, when i do craft on BDO i prefer use controller now :p

The other, FFXIV had to do it for console (PS3 at first) and they had experience from FFXI (PS2-PS3, Xbox360)
    Also, Square Enix get "little more" money,
    For AoC, game is priority over controller support (even if i approve it would be a good thing, and i really think the gameplay would fit well.

FFXIV way to do it is not so much work i think, and would be added when time, and ressources are avaible for it i think. The system is really basic. even for UI (shortcut directly in bars)
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Leave then boy.
    I would never again play an mmo that supports controllers.
    The hotbar functionality is shit.
  • Options
    Gimping ability and UI variety because of controllers is the bane of my existence. If interaction suffers as a result of spoon feeding people that can't be bothered to sit at a desk or plop a keyboard on their lap then I probably wont play.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    So far, the only games with controller support are games that have systems designed for controller play,and even then the controller support isnt great.

This means the game feels like a console game, even if you are playing with a mouse and keyboard.

So basically, good controller support means poor mouse and keyboard support- at least so far.

If Intrepid can find a way to add in good controller support without impacting mouse and keyboard support, then I'm all for it. If not, better to do one well than two poorly.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    I trust Intrepid’s judgement in this. They aren’t going to compromise their game for a niche UI.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It is coming. Like many other things you will have options.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Template:Controller_support
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    Leave then boy.
    I would never again play an mmo that supports controllers.
    The hotbar functionality is shit.

FF14 manages just fine. I've been playing it just the same as I play WoW, even though it supports controllers.

Supporting controllers is literally just adapting controls. I don't know why everyone is so emotional about this lol
    Especially since Ashes is doing the "Limited number of active abilities" system that games like Wildstar, ESO and GW2 have. They aren't going to have to program all the button combinations FF14 needs with it's 20+ abilities you need at any time.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    It is coming. Like many other things you will have options.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Template:Controller_support

That’s an optimistic view of ‘we may support controllers closer to launch’ and ‘the AoC mmo is not designed around controller support.’

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    RavelRavel Member
    edited July 2021
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I trust Intrepid’s judgement in this. They aren’t going to compromise their game for a niche UI.

Luckily, we don't even have to worry about that. They did not design the game around controller support, as was stated. It would be too late to change that by now.
    The verb, not the composer name.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited July 2021
    Actually it would not be too late, I don't know where you got that idea.

I do think that it's weird to think that controller support inherently compromises gameplay, or even that they would implement it poorly. I understand why some would think that as it has happened before, but there is also proof of it being implemented well.

I personally wouldn't play with a controller, but I see no reason to gatekeep controller users because you "assume" adding controller support inherently compromises the rest of the game.
  • Options
    Dreoh wrote: »
    I understand why some would think that as it has happened before, but there is also proof of it being implemented well.
    Not without compromising the game.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it hasn't been done.

Games like FFXIV feel like console games because of their inherent controller support, and that makes the game unbearable to play for some (myself included).
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited July 2021
    Noaani wrote: »
    Games like FFXIV feel like console games because of their inherent controller support, and that makes the game unbearable to play for some (myself included).

Can you explain how it feels like a console game?

Because I've played it exactly the same as I play WoW with just as many abilities as any WoW class.

None of the WoW players/streamers who've recently started playing have said anything like that either.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious why you say this when I've literally never heard anyone else say anything like this.

Edit: The only possible thing I can think of is you were using the "Legacy Camera" settings which feels strange to people used to normal MMO camera movement.
  • Options
    RavelRavel Member
    edited July 2021
    Actually it would not be too late, I don't know where you got that idea.

Experience in program development and knowing the cost of taking away functionality that consumers have come to expect. But sure, when you throw enough money at it and you manage to get the community of aoc along with the idea of altering the ui to make the game controller friendly. Sure.

It just does not sound realistic though. Not at this point.

But in theory anything is possible, even introducing console support to a game not designed for it, and with the same quality of game play as the keyboard and mouse interface without hurting the latter.

In practice you need to throw money at it and be willing to take the risk.

You know, maybe they will do that when the game has become too big to fail and they want to bring the game to consoles too.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited July 2021
    But you haven't answered how it takes away functionality from non-controller content.

The only way it would take away is if they had to limit the number of abilities you could use, or change how movement worked.
    Neither of those is a problem for Ashes because
    1. The hotbar has only 10 abilities, and a game that requires you to use at least 20 abilities/items/etc. at any time (that game being FF14) doesn't struggle at all because of it. Or at least Noanni hasn't described how it suffers from it.
    2. MMO movement isn't very complicated

Maybe you mean menu navigation, which I will grant you is a little more complicated to program, but it's not the impossible task it's being made out to be here, and this is me speaking as someone who's also done program development.
  • Options
    RavelRavel Member
    But you haven't answered how it takes away functionality from non-controller content.
    That is correct, because I admitted that it does not need to be that way in my answer. Not that I am not afraid it might.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Having played the alpha on both controller and key board I can say for me, without question AoC feels better to play on controller.

AoC's camera design relative to its inputs is terrible and the controller makes up for that. If they want action combat, they need to improve it dramatically.

The way they handle auto attack is also needlessly stressful on the hands on keyboard relative to a controller. I want to play AoC for more than 2 hrs at a time.

Controller is the way to go currently for playing, keyboard for menus. I don't need out of combat menus controller friendly but the differently abled community might.

They haven't added the second hot bar yet. My one, imo reasonable, request for that design relative to controllers therefore is you let us swap hot bars by pressing some button rather than needing to hold it. That's literally all I ask at the moment. If they follow the model of joy to key's capacity (since they aren't planning on allowing 3rd party) I think the current intended design is fine relative to controller support.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    The ffxiv combat is slooooooow as.... and there is 0 room to change the routine of the rotations.

Beeing so predicteble the combat posses no problem in arranging controller supported key combos.
    There is time to act. "To perform this, hold X while hiting O", or whatever..

Eso has 6 active abilities at any given time. Perfect for controllers. Not so much for mmo gameplay.
    It's not the only way it sucks as an mmo. I hear now that people play with npcs rather than each other.
    90% single player experience.

Ill never again waste time in an mmo whose first thought is to cash in from all platforms.

Waste of maintenance. Waste of resources.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    The ffxiv combat is slooooooow as.... and there is 0 room to change the routine of the rotations.

Beeing so predicteble the combat posses no problem in arranging controller supported key combos.
    There is time to act. "To perform this, hold X while hiting O", or whatever..

Eso has 6 active abilities at any given time. Perfect for controllers. Not so much for mmo gameplay.
    It's not the only way it sucks as an mmo. I hear now that people play with npcs rather than each other.
    90% single player experience.

Ill never again waste time in an mmo whose first thought is to cash in from all platforms.

Waste of maintenance. Waste of resources.

FF14's long global cooldown and combo-string system I'll grant you could have been designed with controllers in mind, that's very true. But it plays very well even so on keyboard/mouse still even if you're coming from any other typical tab-target MMO. I do hate standardized rotations though for sure.

ESO's single-player content has no bearing on this argument. This thread is about controller input, I don't see how any of that is relevant lmao.

6 abilities is nice and comfy for controllers sure, but controllers can utilize way more than a six-ability hotbar.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I was mainly wow player, some long months on Aion (no GCD) when i came on FFXIV, i didnt feel such difference, except "far slower" But "slow" is not specific to console, some console game are fast.

but i think it is a lot personnal feelings.

For AoC, the best thing to do : build the game around keyboard and mouse like they do now. At first we need to have a game, before a game with 23978 way to play it.
    Then, if time, try to have a UI for controller. Doing this way, adding controller won't impact keyboard and mouse. and i really think how the game is build, it can fit well a controller support.
  • Options
    Eso has 6 active abilities at any given time. Controller designed
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited July 2021
    Eso has 6 active abilities at any given time. Controller designed

Again, that's just ESO and they decided to go down that route.

Just because ESO opted to go for a simple system doesn't mean a complex system (like FF14) isn't viable. It's a bit disingenuous of you to latch onto that single point as conclusive proof.
    Aerlana wrote: »
    For AoC, the best thing to do : build the game around keyboard and mouse like they do now. At first we need to have a game, before a game with 23978 way to play it.
    Then, if time, try to have a UI for controller. Doing this way, adding controller won't impact keyboard and mouse. and i really think how the game is build, it can fit well a controller support.

This I completely agree with and is in part what I've been saying. Hell, even WoW just recently added controller support, and from what I've heard it works just fine.
  • Options
    It is nothing to do with combat, it is all in regards to movement of the character and camera.

The feeling of it just feels like a console game.

If you haven been playing a game like this for a while, you aren't going to notice it.
  • Options
    I am not disingenuous at all.
    The studios that want to cash in from all platforms are.

I point out that ff14 is so slow that its combat can easily be mapped for a controllers.
    Eso has only 6 active abilities. It can be easily be mapped for controllers.

An mmorpg is not meant to be played on a console or mobile phone.
    The hotbars must be filled with actions, and they should all have available keys to be used QUICKLY.
    Eso doesnt allow for more actions in the hotbar (that is why for PvP it's full of selfbuffs, only one CC, spammable, execution).
    Ff14 is slow. Slow pace allows for key combinations as an alternative to keys, in order to access the actions the games hotbar allows.

Fact remains that no matter how much you like to argue for the sake of argueing, I am listing here why controller based mmos have limitations on its combat design, and that the only reason studios do that is to cash in.
    You can choose to pretend you cant read. Others can.

And finally, Steven has said that he wont compromise the product. AoC isnt for everyone. It is for those that want an mmo with depth.
    Controllers might be an afterthought. Cyas.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited July 2021
    It is nothing to do with combat, it is all in regards to movement of the character and camera.

If you haven been playing a game like this for a while, you aren't going to notice it.

Ok I can see your perspective here, though I will say it's the kind of issue any game with crossplay deals with. FPS's are notorious for difference in skill between keyboard vs controller due to camera movement.
    FF14 does also have an acceleration effect to it's movement too, so I'll also grant you that.

I am not disingenuous at all.
    The studios that want to cash in from all platforms are.

I point out that ff14 is so slow that its combat can easily be mapped for a controllers.

The hotbars must be filled with actions, and they should all have available keys to be used QUICKLY.
    Eso doesnt allow for more actions in the hotbar (that is why for PvP it's full of selfbuffs, only one CC, spammable, execution).
    Ff14 is slow. Slow pace allows for key combinations as an alternative to keys, in order to access the actions the games hotbar allows.

Fact remains that no matter how much you like to argue for the sake of argueing, I am listing here why controller based mmos have limitations on its combat design, and that the only reason studios do that is to cash in.
    You can choose to pretend you cant read. Others can.

And finally, Steven has said that he wont compromise the product. AoC isnt for everyone. It is for those that want an mmo with depth.
    Controllers might be an afterthought. Cyas.

You don't know that ff14 is slow because of controllers. You're making an assumption.
    Eso has 6 abilities yes, but so what? GW2 Wildstar and current AoC had/have 10 abilities at a time on the hotbar, and they don't support controller input. Sometimes the number of abilities on a bar is about balancing toolkits and not about ease of use.
    Granted ESO COULD have limited their bar to 6 because of controller support, but it could also very easily be because they just wanted to have that level of skillset balance.

You're using this "6 slot" ESO hotbar as some kind of ultimate perfect argument against controller input, but you're only making big assumptions about it.

You can say "I just like to argue" because I'm making valid points against your stance that you find hard to refute and are ignoring, but that doesn't mean my counterpoints aren't valid.

And again, controller input implementation does not mean compromising a product. Anything implemented badly can compromise a product. You're not making a sound argument here. It's all assumptions.
  • Options

Ok I can see your perspective here, though I will say it's the kind of issue any game with crossplay deals with. FPS's are notorious for difference in skill between keyboard vs controller due to camera movement.
    Absolutely.

And that is why it is my opinion that MMO's (other genres are different in this regard, imo) should stick to one or the other.

Either be a console/controller game, or dont.

• Options

Ff14 is slow. Slow pace allows for key combinations as an alternative to keys, in order to access the actions the games hotbar

Button combinations aren't that slow. There is in put lag. If Ashes shifts to a twitch based full action mmo that is so frame dependent you need to worry about small delays like that then we should be having that conversation in a different thread cuz that's not what the plan currently is as I understand it.

Just because /you/ can't play a fast tabtarget game on controller doesn't mean it isn't possible for everyone.

I have played games like this for a while. I know what you are talking about, but ashes current camera is terrible and combat schema not well suited to long hours of play for me. Even if they fix the camera, controller is more comfortable for longer play.

The camera feeling you want ashes to 'not have' is something you can get used to and even if you can't, is it a dealbreaker? My hands on the other hand won't adapt to four to eight hours of holding down some button for an auto attack on keyboard.

If yours can take it I am happy for you but I doubt
    I'm the only one uninterested in punishing my body to 'proove' I'm a 'hard core gamer'.

• Options
    RavelRavel Member
    edited July 2021
    JustVine wrote: »
    The camera feeling you want ashes to 'not have' is something you can get used to and even if you can't, is it a dealbreaker? My hands on the other hand won't adapt to four to eight hours of holding down some button for an auto attack on keyboard.

If yours can take it I am happy for you but I doubt
    I'm the only one uninterested in punishing my body to 'proove' I'm a 'hard core gamer'.

Ergonomics matter. That is why changing key-binding will help you to adapt to your style of playing when playing with keyboard, and mouse, and with a controller too.

BTW, playing games for 8 hours a day is not healthy, and in itself is punishing your body. Take care.
  • Options
    That quote isnt mine. Dont know why you put my name in there.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Everything I said was with keybindings in mind. Ashes core combat is definitely part of the problem relative to comfort and I am NOT asking them to change that.

Keyboards require you to spread out your fingers and hold them in positions that can lead to carpal tunnel. It doesn't matter what your layout is if you have a hot bar with ten abilities, fast paced combat, and require holding or pressing a button for auto attack. Your hands are going to suffer in a raid or long play session if you are more prone to it even if you take breaks. A controller solves this problem. This doesn't even touch on their camera and movement system intended.

Im glad key bindings are ergonomic for you. They aren't for everyone given AoC's core combat. Let me map to a controller.

• Options
    JustVine wrote: »

I have played games like this for a while. I know what you are talking about, but ashes current camera is terrible and combat schema not well suited to long hours of play for me. Even if they fix the camera, controller is more comfortable for longer play.
    Having experienced a number of games at a similar stage in development to where Ashes is now, the current camera is fine.

If it released as it is now, we would need to all sit down and have a discussion - but for now it's fine.