Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Target lock

Kyra_RoseKyra_Rose Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I have searched the forum but I could not find anything in the recent discussion about it.

Coming from EQ2 I always hated one thing in the newer games. No target lock. Meaning if you form a raid killing a boss, then people or raids outside this raid can attack this mob too. In EQ2 the boss was just locked to the raid who attacked first.

In EQ2 it was so much fun and competition on the world bosses. I missed that in most of the games who came after.

There is no fun in attacking a boss with lets say 3 raids if its balanced for 1.

How will that be in Ashes? How will loot be distributed? What are the plans on this?

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited July 2021
    If you want to kill a boss and not have people to steal it from you, you need some people to protect you while you raid.

What you describe is an instanced type of design.
    The world wont be safe.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
  • Options
    RavelRavel Member
    Dygz wrote: »

Interesting, so kill stealing is more easy for the larger group. This opens interesting griefing possiblities, and an incentive to group up under circumstances.
    The verb, not the composer name.
  • Options
    No such thing as kill stealing. You don't own mobs.
  • Options
    RavelRavel Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    No such thing as kill stealing. You don't own mobs.

Actually, I plan to own a lot of mobs to be able to progress in the game. ;)
    The verb, not the composer name.
  • Options
    You can pwn; but not own. :p
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021
    I hate mob locking. It demotivates from interacting with other people.
  • Options
    Intrepid wants there to be conflict between the players when contesting for boss drops. This is why the dungeons are open world and any number of groups can be competing at the same time.

The more organized your group or raid is, the better the chance you will come out ahead.
  • Options
    Kyra_RoseKyra_Rose Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If you want to kill a boss and not have people to steal it from you, you need some people to protect you while you raid.

The world wont be safe.

Ok understand, so measuring on DPS seems a valid way on this too, but will the boss difficulity scale up? Attacking with 3 raids fighting for the loot in the end might be too easy and not really challenging?

In EQ2 it worked on World Bosses very well. In that case the 3 raids are first fighting for the engagement and if first raid failed the second one tried. But yes AOC is different - more PVP focused.

Did I mention I hate PVP? :D:wink:
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Kyra_ wrote: »
    In EQ2 it worked on World Bosses very well.

As a long term player of EQ2, I can confirm that the way non-instanced raid encounters worked in that game was exceptionally satisfying.

Every single one of my top 5 gaming experiences (across all games) are from such encounters in EQ2.

There is just something satisfying about taking a kill from a rival guild without the need to resort to PvP - an experience that is simply not possible to convey to someone that has not experienced it first hand.

However, that is not Ashes.

Ashes is all about PvP. Every aspect of the game will be subject to it in some manner. There are ways Intrepid could have a content type similar to these encounters from EQ2, but this is not something I would expect to see with the games launch - if at all.
  • Options

The world wont be safe.

That is fine when you can defend yourself from others. It is a bigger problem when it is done by players from the same faction.

Can anyone attack anyone else in those areas, regardless of faction?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    mr n0body wrote: »

The world wont be safe.

That is fine when you can defend yourself from others. It is a bigger problem when it is done by players from the same faction.

Can anyone attack anyone else in those areas, regardless of faction?

There are no factions in Ashes - not in that regard, at least.

Anyone can attack anyone else - the only real exceptions being members of your guild, group and raid.
  • Options
    Ashes doesn't have faction.
    I dunno if you are counting guilds or the raid groups as "factions".
    It's not a total free-for-all.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Noaani wrote: »
    Ashes is all about PvP. Every aspect of the game will be subject to it in some manner. There are ways Intrepid could have a content type similar to these encounters from EQ2, but this is not something I would expect to see with the games launch - if at all.
    Yes, even indirectly; if you go out questing and build up experience for your node, and your node advances, that potentially stunts the growth of adjacent nodes and therefore you are in conflict with citizens of those nodes.

Also, whatever resources you collect are resources that another player won't be getting.

So you can PvP without actually getting into what most consider to be PvP. (Trying to kill another player.)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Someone tries to take your boss kill, just kill them. PvX for a reason. I expect the good guild's character builds will be designed with both PvE and PvP happening simultaneously. CC and CC resistance will be a must (probably), with group primary focusing being the way to win.

Or you could take the political route, but I don't think many players will have the patience for that. Why take turns when you can have it all to yourself?