Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Skills pane, quests pane, prestige mode and jumping puzzles

RyuRyu Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited August 2021 in General Discussion
Hello

I was enticed to write this post following the encouragement of Steven Sharif to give any and all feedback on what we would like to see the game become.
Considering the state of the game and the ideas put into place since the beginning, I have a suggestion for a system that in my mind would make the game incredibly enticing in a way that does not really affect any other element of the game as it is planned, but could potentially make the game feel much more expansive.

In another game that I have spent a lot of time on, there is an interface that not only shows you the progression on all the different skills that are possible in the game (skills that are defined as professions in several other games, such as mining, blacksmithing, jewelcrafting, herbalism, but also skills that just make your character stronger, such as agility and stamina)
but also shows you your progression in combat proficiency for each style. In this particular game, you can do anything and everything on 1 character and are not locked out of any combat role.
In the same game, there is another interface that lists all the stories you can do, scattered throughout the world. Some stories might be available straight away. For others you might have to have progressed your mining to clear a cave, your agility to fit through the small gap you created. But at the end of the quest, there will be an enticing reward, unlocking more content to you. Maybe an area that has a unique resource. Or access to a monster that drops a special weapon enchantment.

I have followed the development of Ashes over the years, but I do not know ALL the specifics. I am not fully aware if you will be limited to only doing certain professions at a time, I hope not. I want to be able to do everything and anything with my character. I want to see my progression on all fronts, including combat. Because why, why do we have to limit ourself to a certain way of combat or playstyle and create different alts, especially when our "account" becomes part of the world through the freehold and housing system?

Allow us to Prestige. Allow us to be anything and everything, and show us our progression.

When we start, let us pick a class. Let us climb and reach level 50 and pick our secondary class to add some flavour. Then let us Prestige and become Prestige 1 Level 1. Let us climb up again to reach Prestige 1 Level 50 and pick ANOTHER secondary class, in addition to allowing us to set the class we just Prestiged as our primary, if we wish. Let us then iterate this over and over until we are Prestige 8 Level 50 and can be litterally all 64 archetypes, at our leisure. We have leveled to 400, we deserve it. And show us all this progression in 1 pane, next to all the other professions that we can explore. Show us that trashy level 1 Mage class proficiency as a Prestige 4 Warrior/Bard with Rogue 50 and Ranger 50 in the pocket.

Now since we need to get level 400 and not do the same content over and over, we need a new source of experience.

So, besides the missions we can "generically" encounter in the world where we kill 10 boars or gather 10 stone, create some stories for which you need certain proficiencies to even start them. Lock them to people who have Prestiged Mage, Warrior, have at least 400 mining and 300 jewelcrafting, scatter these missions all over and make the rewards cosmetic, better gathering tools or areas with unique resources, transportation alternatives, armor proficiencies, weapons, enchantments, crafting schematics.

Let me be that Prestige 8 Level 50 maxed out GOAT.

I love the development as it is planned already, on top of the positivity surrounding this game and look forward to it very much, but a man can dream.

Also please add agility to the skills pane and let us get experience for it by completing jumping puzzles (you can put jumping puzzles in these quests too, and add a certain agility level as a requirement, see where I'm going with this??)

Comments

• Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Prepare yourself for a lot of no's. Your feedback is definitely appreciated but I disagree with a lot of it. I'll give you the quick version.

I understand your need to not feel limited but being limited to certain things like professions and class roles allows for this game to create something heavily influenced by the social aspect which has been missing from games for far too long. I like the idea to be able to do "everything" but this would diminish my need for others and I dislike that. I want to work as a team with my friends/guildees. I want them to feel special for achieving something that most others have not.

Prestige is best left to shooting games. This was designed to get players further addicted to the game. People love to level up and they love to feel that each game and every kill means something special. Because of this, they made it so you could now level to 1000 instead of just 100 (when I played COD last anyway). I don't even know what it has become now but I absolutely cannot stand prestige levels in games.

Picking more than 1 secondary class does sound pretty bad ass. Maybe a future expansion could allow us to "triple up" and give us further customization. I can't imagine the nightmare it would be to balance but it sounds cool haha.

exp for jumping puzzles? Nah. I'm just here to jump man. Imagine Mario gaining exp on every level completed. lol this is silly.

I like the idea of quests being locked to your profession levels. Special adventures that take you on a lore driven story tied to your professions would be awesome. Class quests hopefully exist also but not the the way you are wanting from your post.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Hello Khronus! I hope you are well. I realise I have written up the post a bit half heartedly regarding the clarity of the system I have in mind. To summarise a little bit, everything I have laid out is something you can achieve by creating a second or third or fourth character. You can play different roles and choose different professions each time. I just want to skip this part, because I feel that there are bigger upsides to this approach compared to having to create different characters to achieve the same versatility in how you can play the game.
    1) You are attached to the character that you already invested in and just having to 'start over' as opposed to 'Prestiging' is a different feeling. One feels like a sacrifice, the other like a pursuit of ultimate completion.
    2) The size of the game immediately feels much more massive. You don't have to engage in any of the skills that you don't enjoy, but you are less likely to feel the threshold of having to create a character and start over just to enjoy more content.
    The 'skills' pane is just an interface to present this progression.

So, the prestige I am suggesting is not just an increase of the amount of levels you have to get in the way you describe, and you are right that usually this is what the word represents. In this case, I think the meaning is more accurate. Simply getting more levels is not prestigious, but unlocking more archetypes for your character to swap between is. It is not necessary to do, as soon as you reach level 50 you can play certain archetypes and if balance is right, you can be as strong as any other archetype, so prestiging is not obligatory. So prestiging and the level of prestige you reach is nothing more than a representation of how many archetypes you have mastered (because you need to reach level 50 using the class you selected to prestige in, if you choose to play an archetype that you already mastered that you are currently not prestiging, you will not gain exp towards your prestige).
    Just imagine Prestiging as exiting to character select after reaching level 50, creating a fresh toon with a different class and starting over again. You just can do it on the same character, but you don't have to if you want to stick to the archetype you already mastered.

Since I feel like this presentation in the skills pane should include all professions, I simply added agility specifically as a suggestion to expand this pane with more and more interesting 'skills' to give you as many pathways as possible to progress your character in, without being forced to pursue any of them. When I said that jumping puzzles should give exp, I meant ONLY for this skill, and not towards your overall level. Increasing agility could for example affect your stamina while using sprint, your recuperation time, it could allow you certain shortcuts in the world when reaching a certain level, ... it's just 1 example of a skill, but there are many more to make. Jumping puzzles just tied into it nicely.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    At the risk of necroing a long dead thread there was this a while back.

Intrepid has indicated they do not want to go the direction you are proposing with character progression( I agree with this).
    Intrepid is working to bring back the community part of MMO's that has been lost over the years. Allowing people to be everything makes everybody nothing and you end up with the same homogenized mess you see in most games that try to claim their are MMO's.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/comment/245534#Comment_245534

I think jumping puzzles are good fun and we have seen it in a few of the streams Dev's falling to their deaths because they miss a jump. Giving XP for jumping doesn't sit well with me. Jumping to find a hidden chest or hidden elite mob in the world does make sense. Gating content behind a jumping puzzle can and should be a thing.
    Before people get emotional about that's not fair.
    This was new today and make the best point:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blSXTZ3Nihs
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Hello Bloodprophet! The forum post you linked does describe quite precisely what I was also talking about. I hope that there might be some consideration. After all, I think the discussion should be around what a player feels when approaching the game. Having the ability to change direction at will while on 1 character as opposed to having to go to character select to achieve the same outcome... Why? Is there an official answer to this view?
  • Options
    Yes there is.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Character

The intent is to make it so the players rely on each other vs 1 character being able to do everything like in single player games.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No.
  • Options
    No.....to what?
    Words help to communicate.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    But why would you oppose a Prestige system compared to having to create alts to unlock every archetype?
    If the social aspect is a consideration, wouldn't the reputation of 1 character be more valuable as opposed to being smeared across different characters? You could be a bleep on your rogue, but be cool on your mage. Remember anyone can still create multiple characters if they WANT to be a bleep. I'm just saying, the intent of having people 'rely' on each other is not strengthened by this limitation, because simply creating an alt gets the same result for the community, but not for the person creating the alt. The person creating the alt is sacrificing, but the net result for the community is the same, because through creating the alt and getting level 50, this person has also made himself equally less dependent on the community as opposed to having prestiged in the way I suggest.
  • Options
    Exactly. It is about the community not any single player.
    If someone can do all the crafting the you don't need anyone else. Then the game is no longer an MMO but a single player game.
  • Options
    An MMORPG cannot be a single-player game.
    Just because you don't need to interact with other players doesn't mean you don't want to interact with other players. And doesn't mean you're unwilling to interact with other players.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Dygz wrote: »
    An MMORPG cannot be a single-player game.
    Just because you don't need to interact with other players doesn't mean you don't want to interact with other players. And doesn't mean you're unwilling to interact with other players.

How does this make it a singleplayer game if you can achieve the same thing by creating an alt, just at the cost of letting go of a character you already have attachment to?

And this sentence:
    Just because you don't need to interact with other players doesn't mean you don't want to interact with other players.

It works more in favour of my suggestion than opposing it, so it’s a bit confusing what you mean to say ?
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited August 2021
    Ryu wrote: »
    Hello Bloodprophet! The forum post you linked does describe quite precisely what I was also talking about. I hope that there might be some consideration. After all, I think the discussion should be around what a player feels when approaching the game. Having the ability to change direction at will while on 1 character as opposed to having to go to character select to achieve the same outcome... Why? Is there an official answer to this view?

From the wiki:

"You are going to create this identity that you can't just change on the fly. This is going to be something that you will know a person and you will know what their base archetype is and they're not just going to change from battle to battle." - https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Classes#Changing.2Fswitching

It's a design decision they've made to say primary class is an important part of identity. That's what differentiates using one character with multiple primary classes from multiple alts with one primary class.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I understand this sentiment entirely and so I totally agree that you should not be forced to give up this identity if you don't want to. First of all this Prestige system should be OPTIONAL. The Prestige system could include ways to 'Prestige' into 1 archetype further and further to build on this identity. It should be a choice by each player to do with his character as he wishes?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    How does this make it a singleplayer game if you can achieve the same thing by creating an alt,.
    Again. It's not possible to make an MMORPG a single-player game.

It works more in favour of my suggestion than opposing it, so it’s a bit confusing what you mean to say ?
    I said what I said. It means what it means.
    The only thing I've said regarding your suggestion is, "No".
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Hey Dygz!
    My suggestion keeps the MMORPG but only increases the amount of R you can perform?
    I said what I said. It means what it means.
    The only thing I've said regarding your suggestion is, "No".
    What? This post is made under 'General Discussion'. I think you should look up the definition of 'discussion'.
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited August 2021
    I understand this sentiment entirely and so I totally agree that you should not be forced to give up this identity if you don't want to. First of all this Prestige system should be OPTIONAL. The Prestige system could include ways to 'Prestige' into 1 archetype further and further to build on this identity. It should be a choice by each player to do with his character as he wishes?

The issue isn't about forcing people to give up an identity. The issue would be giving people the option to create an identity with multiple primary classes to switch between, which is, I'm guessing, just not how the devs want to structure character identity.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Ravudha wrote: »
    The issue isn't about forcing people to give up an identity. The issue would be giving people the option to create an identity with multiple primary classes to switch between, which is just not how the devs want to structure character identity.

Thank you. But do you know their argumentation? What does this concept of "identity" mean and how would it improve the experience for the players?

• Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Oh right, you have never played bdo.
    Small print leads to large risks.
  • Options
    Also think about it from a content perspective. By locking content behind these constraints, you really allow for a way of adding content to the game in easily manageable intervals. You just have to create stories of 2-3 hours every 2 weeks to keep things really fresh and consistent. It would be 25 class quests a year so you could rotate through all of them 3 times so everyone gets to do at least 6, and if you go all out you can unlock 3 more for every prestige you do. It would be awesome.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    You are telling me that you have never come across an mmo in which you can do all the things you listed here?
  • Options
    Constraining the path a single character can take creates longevity in a game, because players create alts to play the game from a different perspective. If one player can do everything there are three tangible results: 1) character progression turns to mush because every character kind of ends up being the same, and 2) there's no replayability so folks unsub and move on, and 3) there are 10,000 people on a server that don't talk to each other because there is no forcing function to spark community.

Like it or not, the holy trinity is a forcing function for community and replayability.

Cross account crafting / economic dependencies are a forcing function for community and replayability.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    You are telling me that you have never come across an mmo in which you can do all the things you listed here?
    I have, but it's click to move lmao.
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited August 2021
    Thank you. But do you know their argumentation? What does this concept of "identity" mean and how would it improve the experience for the players?

The concept of identity in this context is defined (in part) as what a character's base archetype is (and of course we can probably add all their other attributes and skills on top of that).

Having a character be fixed to / known for a single main class is very common in table top and video game RPGs. It's a system that's worked well so far, so I think that, in terms of player experience, this setup will do just fine.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Constraining the path a single character can take creates longevity in a game, because players create alts to play the game from a different perspective. If one player can do everything there are three tangible results: 1) character progression turns to mush because every character kind of ends up being the same, and 2) there's no replayability so folks unsub and move on, and 3) there are 10,000 people on a server that don't talk to each other because there is no forcing function to spark community.

Like it or not, the holy trinity is a forcing function for community and replayability.

Cross account crafting / economic dependencies are a forcing function for community and replayability.

1) How would this approach make every character the same? You can only have 1 archetype active at any time. You just have the ability to activate another one, but only 1 can be active. You should be able to see the extent to which the other player has unlocked the archetype matrix, but what does this do beside instigate wonder and excitement to achieve the same? Why would character progression turn to mush? The experience must still be gained, the class specific quest still be done. I cannot accept your because easily, can you elaborate?

2) What? You only extend the playability of the character you already invested in. Can you explain more?

3) What?

I think someone has to explain to me this "identity" concept and how it affects the game. What is this forcing function you talk about?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Ravudha wrote: »
    The issue isn't about forcing people to give up an identity. The issue would be giving people the option to create an identity with multiple primary classes to switch between, which is just not how the devs want to structure character identity.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Progression
    Progression pathways in Ashes of Creation are per-character.[4]
    1:17:40
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpieQoKYOjE&t=4660s
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I agree that choices should matter. You cannot undo a prestige choice, once you choose a class to prestige, you cannot go back. You have to get 50 first to choose the next class. I don't get the identity part. People will still gravitate towards a small set of combinations they like to play and be known for them. Does someone know more?

• Options
    edited August 2021
    To really make it work, they could apply a -5% damage modifier while Prestiging, making it a real challenge. Additionally giving a direct indication that it is an OPTIONAL thing when reaching level 50. The modifier would remain until the Prestige is completed (reach level 50 again).
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack

What about ffxiv?
  • Options
    (T)he intent of having people 'rely' on each other is not strengthened by this limitation, because simply creating an alt gets the same result for the community, but not for the person creating the alt. The person creating the alt is sacrificing, but the net result for the community is the same, because through creating the alt and getting level 50, this person has also made himself equally less dependent on the community as opposed to having prestiged in the way I suggest.
    I am an altaholic and have never experienced alts as a sacrifice.

I don't want my friend Bilbo to be anything and everything.
    I also don't want my friend Gandalf to be anything and everything.
    I want Bilbo to be Bilbo and Gandalf to be Gandalf.

I don't want Batman to become Superman and I don't want Black Canary to become Wonder Woman.
    Nor do I want Black Widow to become the Scarlet Witch or Ant-Man to become the Sorcerer Supreme.
    When I need the World's Greatest Detective, I want to be able to rely on Batman rather than Superman.
    When I need the Sorcerer Supreme, I want to be able to rely on Dr. Strange instead of Ant-Man.

Secondary Archetypes, Social Orgs, Religions, etc... not to mention Mayors...will provide all the prestige that Ashes needs.
    We don't need a cure for a non-existent illness.
  • Options

What about ffxiv?

I honestly didn't know that, and it's awesome. That game has gotten a lot of attention lately and I am interested, but I am already more invested in this game even though it's still so early hahaha. Truely, I would be happy if the game released without my suggestion. It would just be awesome.