Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Opinions about Racial Armour

ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I think this is an important topic to discuss.

Currently, Intrepid plans to make all ingame armour race specific in their appearance. I personally think that's a bad idea. 2 reasons:
1. The armour is always of racial design. This takes out the incentive of using your opponent's armour as a trophy as no one will recognise the armour of the person you killed because it will turn to your own racial design. No one will buy your bullshit flex 🤣

2. Stuck with your Racial armour might feel shit if you don't like it's design. Better to just pillage a different race and get their armour instead xP

Comments

• Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2021
    How do you envision this working? E.g. Me a half pint Nikua gets ganked by you max height orc boi. My sweet boss armor drops. Obviously it won't fit your character model. What do you want to happen exactly?
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    I share your concern in a way.

I think a better solution would be to tie racial armour appearance to CRAFTING instead of all armour you put on.

Example:
    Instead of.. orc friend gives me their orc-plate, which turns into elf-plate when I put it on. Silly.
    We have, orc friend crafts me orc-plate, which remains orc-plate even when my elf puts it on.

This way we can have cool unique racial designs locked behind races, and everyone can enjoy any appearance they want without resorting to the dreaded CASH SHOP.
  • Options
    I like it both for aesthetics and gameplay. I adds variety instead of armor looking more or less the same. Then it lets you distinguish who you are fighting at a glance.

Now this may or may not be a problem depending on how racial traits work out for gameplay. But it would be nice to know if you are fighting a Kaeler or Vaelune just by looking at them and not have to guess because all armor looks the same on all humans.
  • Options

I think a better solution would be to tie racial armour appearance to CRAFTING instead of all armour you put on.

Example:
    Instead of.. orc friend gives me their orc-plate, which turns into elf-plate when I put it on. Silly.
    We have, orc friend crafts me orc-plate, which remains orc-plate even when my elf puts it on.

This way we can have cool unique racial designs locked behind races, and everyone can enjoy any appearance they want without resorting to the dreaded CASH SHOP.

Pretty much this. Perhaps also have the tag, "trophy from [Player Name]". Would be epic af
  • Options

Example:

I actually dig this, then you would have to find crafters of a specific race to build the aesthetic you want.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »

Example:

I actually dig this, then you would have to find crafters of a specific race to build the aesthetic you want.

Yes, or learn a variant of racial armour. But tbh, I'm not sure which option would be better.
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree. I think you should be able to craft/buy and wear whichever variant you like the most. This does add even more development for intrepid though because to be an elf and wear the dwarven version of a specific armor set, there would have to be an elf-shaped version and a dwarf-shaped version of the dwarven-style armor. Imagine doing this for every set and every race in order to have every style equipable by every race. I want it, but I don't know if they can do it.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Nvm saw your other post after I posted.

P.S. Trophy system would definitely be cool yeah. Then we can have player run assassination agencies.

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ok ppl freak out for no reason. I will upload pictures
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »

P.S. Trophy system would definitely be cool yeah. Then we can have player run assassination agencies.

Skull trophies of players you've killed to hang them up in your freehold
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options

Or skulls on a chain like chaos warriors do in warhammer. Or better, their actual heads. But yeah... not gonna happen with Teen rating.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    doom plate armor human male
    tCN3zJJ.jpg
    doom plate armor d. elf male
    8DwAl68.png
    Tallum Plate for races male/female
    99FdDF0.jpg
    Tallum leather for races male/female
    Z0a7b2f.gif

is it really THAT BAD FOR RACES TO LOOK UNIQUE?

• Options
    This sounds like it'd add a lot of dev cost and slow down release of armor sets if applied to every set. Every model has a different wire frame, and every 'skin' for that model is usually adapted to that wire frame specifically so to make them look good you'd need some amount of detailing. I also like the idea but they don't have blizzard sized amounts of staff and resources.

Would you be ok with any of these possible combinations of'meeting the player base half way' options from Intrepid:

1. Not every skin of the model looks good. Sometimes stretched out, pixelated, or just 'the wrong looking texture' but over all no clipping from the model occurs

2. Some clear effort on making sure the skin looks right, but some clipping and jankiness occurs in motion

3. This is mostly applied to 'core armor sets'. Ie. Sets expected to see the most use, so when you can do it, it looks great and you have reasons to feel bad ass whenever you 'unlock' it dodge via resources earned or trophies taken

(Either way I think the trophy stamp of name and time of death are very do able so you at least can probably expect that much.)

• Options
    Conrad wrote: »

Or skulls on a chain like chaos warriors do in warhammer. Or better, their actual heads. But yeah... not gonna happen with Teen rating.

I mean, minecraft gets away with it >.>

• Options

Box heads and actual heads count differently with ratings
  • Options
    This sounds like it'd add a lot of dev cost and slow down release of armor sets if applied to every set. Every model has a different wire frame, and every 'skin' for that model is usually adapted to that wire frame specifically so to make them look good you'd need some amount of detailing. I also like the idea but they don't have blizzard sized amounts of staff and resources.

Would you be ok with any of these possible combinations of'meeting the player base half way' options from Intrepid:

1. Not every skin of the model looks good. Sometimes stretched out, pixelated, or just 'the wrong looking texture' but over all no clipping from the model occurs

2. Some clear effort on making sure the skin looks right, but some clipping and jankiness occurs in motion

3. This is mostly applied to 'core armor sets'. Ie. Sets expected to see the most use, so when you can do it, it looks great and you have reasons to feel bad ass whenever you 'unlock' it dodge via resources earned or trophies taken

(Either way I think the trophy stamp of name and time of death are very do able so you at least can probably expect that much.)
    I would honestly either go for no racial armour at all or variants. Going in between I don't feel would work here.
  • Options
    doom plate armor human male
    tCN3zJJ.jpg
    doom plate armor d. elf male
    8DwAl68.png
    Tallum Plate for races male/female
    99FdDF0.jpg
    Tallum leather for races male/female
    Z0a7b2f.gif

You need to explain this, cuz I don't play Archage. That is if it is AA
  • Options

Ah. I guess so. I don't easily get squicked by It wouldn't have occurred to me other people would consider them different things.

I would honestly either go for no racial armour at all or variants. Going in between I don't feel would work here.

I mean there is going to be some work in differentiating them no matter what due to the wire frame and look optimization thing. However yes some games like FFXI and XIV go the extra mile to make them look more distinct (I think mostly for fun/flavor). So it sounds like you definitely wouldn't be for 1 or 2 (direct me if I am wrong though), but would you be ok with 3?

• Options
    The same armor sets looking slightly different on different races.
  • Options

Ah. I guess so. I don't easily get squicked by It wouldn't have occurred to me other people would consider them different things.

I mean there is going to be some work in differentiating them no matter what due to the wire frame and look optimization thing. However yes some games like FFXI and XIV go the extra mile to make them look more distinct (I think mostly for fun/flavor). So it sounds like you definitely wouldn't be for 1 or 2 (direct me if I am wrong though), but would you be ok with 3?

Eh, don't know. Would have to see how the racial armours actually look like first. Varies how they define racial
  • Options

Eh, don't know. Would have to see how the racial armours actually look like first. Varies how they define racial

Maybe it'll be good to revisit this once Intrepid shows what at least one armor set will look like on multiple races, to get an idea of how different we're talking.
  • Options
    Cypher wrote: »

Maybe it'll be good to revisit this once Intrepid shows what at least one armor set will look like on multiple races, to get an idea of how different we're talking.

Well problem is, once they have gone too far in, there will be no going back
  • Options
    If a piece of armor has a slightly different style to comport with my race / body, that seems ok (I don’t know if I totally like it). If it varies dramatically to be presented as my ‘racial attribute’ that sounds like all of my armor will basically look the same style all the time.

For instance, as with that Tallum Plate - if it’s Tallum leather / mail / scale and it always looks like it’s Cancun beachwear for that female elf (cause that’s their ‘style’) that seems an awkward and weird way to make armor “different.”

To George’s point you’ll be able to tell the races+genders apart in a group, but for each individual character - the aesthetic will remain basically the same.

Or am I misunderstanding intrepid’s approach?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Cypher wrote: »

Well problem is, once they have gone too far in, there will be no going back

I get you, but I've just come to the realization that every single armor set would require 18 variants if done this way. That's a ton of work is all. Again, I think it sounds great and makes more sense than only being able to wear "your kinds" armor. But a tall order for sure.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's awful third world MMOROPG shit from 2004.

It was the worst part of Lineage 2 and has no business in a modern MMO.

Intrepid needs to reconsider this horse shit.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2021
    1: You can't use your opponent's armor as a trophy anyway.
    2: A Vek is going to have to tweak a Dünir's armor to get it to fit.
    3: It shouldn't be possible for a Kaelar to wear Vaelune armor because that doesn't fit the lore.
  • Options
    McShaveMcShave Member
    edited August 2021
    I would love to wear different racial gear on different races. It doesn't have to have different stats, although that would be cool too, but i would be ok with it just being visually different.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    1: You can't use your opponent's armor as a trophy anyway.
    2: A Vek is going to have to tweak a Dünir's armor to get it to fit.
    3: It shouldn't be possible for a Kaelar to wear Vaelune armor because that doesn't fit the lore.

1. Why? If it drops, there's your trophy

2. And? They don't have to add tweaking to the game. This isn't a super realistic game where you need stuff like eat and shut

3. Erm, and what is there in the lore that says Kaelar can't do that? Some magical enchantment that is race picky? 😆
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    1: Armor doesn't drop in Ashes. Resources drop.

2: It's inherently tweaked because Vek armor will not fit on a Dünir and Dünir armor will not fit on a Vek.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    1: Armor doesn't drop in Ashes. Resources drop.

2: It's inherently tweaked because Vek armor will not fit on a Dünir and Dünir armor will not fit on a Vek.

1. Pretty sure it does if you're a red player and you die. Hence my trophy point

2. Yeah but having to tweak the armour is no valid point that they can't wear that specific armour. That could easily be done by forcing the player to repair it to "adjust". They don't need to implement armour adjusting to make it a valid take on wearing racial armour of 1 on a another