Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Player housing a not taken seriously?

ObamanizerObamanizer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I've been seeing things on other games like ff14 housing and seeing just how crazy the customization is, and its a MASSIVE part of people feeling really attached to the world and then I look at what I've seen on Q & A about ashes housing and it seems like it will be very limited...... I just wanted to voice that I believe it's being overlooked and may end up being a huge missed opportunity if it goes the way it's planned.

Full freedom placement should be industry standard. And you should have the ability to grant access to other players to your housing inve tory of placeable objects so they can design your place for you as that's a wing of economy all on its own and in turn would drive the furniture economy sales as well.
m2r7fkogger4.png

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    From what I understand, the developers understand the value of allowing things to clip.

As I guy who has spent countless hours on both Wildstar and FFXIVs housing, I can tell you that free-placement and clipping are what makes a good housing system.

I can't remember what live stream it was stated in, but I have heard the developers say that they really like to see what players can come up with by abusing placement and clipping to create new objects from housing objects in other games.

This makes me hopeful that the devs will allow object clipping and maybe even some scaling like in Wildstar.

Outside that, you can save your house layout, so you don't have to spend 300 hours placing things back down when lose a house then get a new one later.

Things sound promising. Just the fact that the developers have acknowledged the value of clipping gives me hope that the housing will be good. It would be a tragedy to get a system where placement is strict just for the sake of neatness.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    my god i forgot about wildstar's housing. I spent so much time messing around with that. Quite the fun feature. R.I.P.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2021
    I do wish people would start to realise that Ashes can't do everything to the utmost quality. They don't have the funding of studios like Blizzard, Square Enix, Riot, Amazon, etc. They have to cut corners somewhere. Not everything can be top tier.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    Talents wrote: »
    I do wish people would start to realise that Ashes can't do everything to the utmost quality. They don't have the funding of studios like Blizzard, Square Enix, Riot, Amazon, etc. They have to cut corners somewhere. Not everything can be top tier.

That is the best part about a good housing system. You don't let quality mess it up. The thing that makes these systems good is the jank. Being able to place objects inside each other and at strange angles. The stuff that gives a QA department nightmares.

Cutting corners in this case will make housing top teir.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As long as their are no rainbow lions like in NW, I`m good.

I thought NW & BDO did access to others reasonably well and I especially liked the touch NW did by making the house with the best gear score on show for all to see.. but still allow access to any other player`s house.

I haven`t played ESO in a few years now, it was reasonable but do not remember about access to others.
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    As long as their are no rainbow lions like in NW, I`m good.

I thought NW & BDO did access to others reasonably well and I especially liked the touch NW did by making the house with the best gear score on show for all to see.. but still allow access to any other player`s house.

I haven`t played ESO in a few years now, it was reasonable but do not remember about access to others.

1000% agreed about the lions in New World. What were they thinking?? "Here's this insanely dark, mysterious and dangerous setting. So anyway let's shove a rainbow lion into it that clashes with every single aesthetic and town design in the game."
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    For what i see seems somthing like Albion or archeage what is great
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Starting at about 18:30 they talk about housing and being able to do stuff. Still a very early view but give us a good idea of the direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjq0_rmgxPM

At 16:45 they start showing a video regarding Freeholds. Then they talk a bit about them after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUkEWE6kBMc

Bear in mind these are from a year ago and they only had 1 kind of furniture in at the time so they look similar.
    While in game housing is not a big thing for me I get that other people like it and seems Like Intrepid does as well. Will be interesting to see longer term how "janky" stuff is or is not as far as placement.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2021
    I'm a little disappointed in there being a discussion on MMO housing and decoration without bringing up EQ2 - the game that all other MMO housing owes a debt to.

While I do talk a fair amount about that game, housing is the one thing that it absolutely gave to the genre as a whole. While it wasn't the first game to do player housing, it was by far the first game to make it a valuable feature of the game.

Players in that game can have up to 25 houses each (with enough variety that some players wish they could have more), and there is an un-exhaustive list of current housing items that is at 12.5k right now (the game has 120 different glass bottles you can place in your house).

It also has full x.y.z movement and rotation of items in houses, along with essentially limitless (for all practical purposes) resizing of items - as well as allowing clip or no-clip.

As a number of Ashes developers are from EQ2, especially in the art department, EQ2 is the standard I am personally setting for housing decorations in Ashes.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    I'm a little disappointed in there being a discussion on MMO housing and decoration without bringing up EQ2 - the game that all other EQ2 housing owes a debt to.

While I do talk a fair amount about that game, housing is the one thing that it absolutely gave to the genre as a whole. While it wasn't the first game to do player housing, it was by far the first game to make it a valuable feature of the game.

Players in that game can have up to 25 houses each (with enough variety that some players wish they could have more), and there is an un-exhaustive list of current housing items that is at 12.5k right now (the game has 120 different glass bottles you can place in your house).

It also has full x.y.z movement and rotation of items in houses, along with essentially limitless (for all practical purposes) resizing of items - as well as allowing clip or no-clip.

As a number of Ashes developers are from EQ2, especially in the art department, EQ2 is the standard I am personally setting for housing decorations in Ashes.

Nobody is talking about it because no one played that game! XD

Jokes aside, I remember I had some plant monster in my house in EQ2. That thing was sweet AF.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I'm a little disappointed in there being a discussion on MMO housing and decoration without bringing up EQ2 - the game that all other EQ2 housing owes a debt to.

Nobody is talking about it because no one played that game! XD

Jokes aside, I remember I had some plant monster in my house in EQ2. That thing was sweet AF.

Sounds like the item from the EoF expansion - you could feed it specific items and get back collection pieces.

Was one of the functional items in houses as opposed to just decorative.
  • Options

Sounds like the item from the EoF expansion - you could feed it specific items and get back collection pieces.

Was one of the functional items in houses as opposed to just decorative.

I forget, I want to say this was sometime around 2006-08... I remember the plant came from some bonus items when I bought the game. There was like 9 dvds to install it at the time. I think the plant was stronger than me and killed me or something. Like, I was not keen on going back into my house after I put that plant down. Very vague memories here. LOL
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    I remember housing in UO and items that you could only get by having a high lockpicking or theft skill which you could display in your house. Daoc also had hooks for trophy creatures you could get and display in your home. One part I didn't like about housing in UO was having to pay rent and going on vacation to come back and find it gone. A ton of work gone. Stopped playing right then.
  • Options
    Wildstar housing was amazing but it was instanced :/ People created entire neighbourhoods and jumping puzzles and more. You could change the weather and music it was amazing.

I doubt we'll have that much freedom in ashes but I'm hoping we can clip, scale and rotate furniture freely. (within reason)

I have a guild house in FFXIV and the majority of decorating time was spent glitching items to sit on top of tables/counters. Just...let us place furniture freely. Let's us just grab and lift them because that's what houses look like.

I shouldn't have to follow a tutorial to place a vase of flowers ontop of my fireplace lmao
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm a little disappointed in there being a discussion on MMO housing and decoration without bringing up EQ2 - the game that all other MMO housing owes a debt to.

Star Wars Galaxies (which came out the year before) would like to have a word with you.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »

Star Wars Galaxies (which came out the year before) would like to have a word with you.

Housing would not have been a mainstay in MMO's if SoE had stopped at the SWG model. It was seen as being too clunky, too amateur to make it in to a mainstay of mainstream MMO's.

It was a building block towards a solid foundation, rather than a solid foundation in itself. EQ2 refining it (using a number of the same developers - it is worth noting), is what made other developers eventually look up and realize that it could be a mainstream component of MMO's.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    FFXI also had housing and came out before EQ2. I think Noaani's point is more so that it was what you talked about in conversations about EQ2. It popularized stuff. I don't think Noaani was saying 'they were the first to do any given thing.' It's more so they are saying 'this game managed to show it was IMPORTANT.'
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    From what I've seen so far, there will likely only be free-placement of objects around a player housing unit in the Strongholds; The houses are thus far stated to have pre-arranged furniture arrangements you can choose from.

Yours truly was very much hoping that since at least two of the 5 panel members from the 2018 expo were veterans of Star Wars: Galaxies, that we'd have more free-placement, but this doesn't seem to be the case. In addition, it's not looking like every single object in the game world will be a decoration-enabled piece that you can free-place as decoration; I really, REALLY wish it was this way, instead, as it made for some AWESOME and out-of-this-galaxy decoration in SWG.

• Options
    edited August 2021

Housing would not have been a mainstay in MMO's if SoE had stopped at the SWG model. It was seen as being too clunky, too amateur to make it in to a mainstay of mainstream MMO's.

It was a building block towards a solid foundation, rather than a solid foundation in itself. EQ2 refining it (using a number of the same developers - it is worth noting), is what made other developers eventually look up and realize that it could be a mainstream component of MMO's.

That sounds like opinion to me, based on a personal preference.

(I'm not slamming on EQ2; I played it and liked it.)

SWG had real world housing rather than the pre-made instancing in EQ2. It was more advanced, where EQ2 was a step back. You actually built a house from blueprints, placed it on a lot in the world, and could travel around it from the outside. The economy was player-based and stores were located in player-owned buildings. It was far more important in SWG than EQ2.

Also, players built cities that were collections of player-made and player-based buildings. Those player cities were almost as important and useful as NPC cities. (Unfortunately they never let you put everything in those player cities which was a place where SOE made a mistake in my opinion.) EQ2 didn't have anything like that, because it was a completely different game; SWG was mostly a sandbox (literally one on Tatooine, hehe) and EQ2 was more of a themepark (and was really good at it). It doesn't mean one game was better than the other, but in a sandbox game the elements that a player creates and controls (like housing) are infinitely more important.

SWG housing wasn't clunky and amateurish. EQ2 let you dabble in psedo-housing, while SWG was the real deal. It allowed XYZ placement of items just as you said EQ2 had, and full rotation. (I remember taking a little stuffed bantha toy and making it so that it sat on my bed by making it "float" so that it looked like it was sitting on it.)

Again, nothing against EQ2 which was a decent game, but your praise of housing in the game is nonsensical. It replicated everything SWG did but at the same time it was only a shadow of it. It's like calling someone a pioneer for following the same trail as a previous pioneer and only going halfway.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Double post.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    SWG had real world housing rather than the pre-made instancing in EQ2.
    This is the part that put other developers off.

It was - I'm sure you'd agree - a bit janky.

Even Archeages housing was a bit janky, due to player placement. There is no way a Blizzard or ArenaNet would have something like that in their game.

Also, I don't think you looked in to EQ2 housing quite enough. You praise SWG for allowing you to place a toy on your bed how you want - yet people in EQ2 in the early days were taking upwards of 100 items and resizing and rotating them in order to make a single aquatic display in their homes (before they added aquarium items).

Edit to add; that thread is not even close to the most impressive things I have seen players do in EQ2 housing. It was simply the first example of a multi-item build I came across that still had all the pictures in place.
  • Options
    SWG had real world housing rather than the pre-made instancing in EQ2.
    This is the part that put other developers off.

It was - I'm sure you'd agree - a bit janky.

Even Archeages housing was a bit janky, due to player placement. There is no way a Blizzard or ArenaNet would have something like that in their game.

Also, I don't think you looked in to EQ2 housing quite enough. You praise SWG for allowing you to place a toy on your bed how you want - yet people in EQ2 in the early days were taking upwards of 100 items and resizing and rotating them in order to make a single aquatic display in their homes (before they added aquarium items).

Edit to add; that thread is not even close to the most impressive things I have seen players do in EQ2 housing. It was simply the first example of a multi-item build I came across that still had all the pictures in place.

EQ2 housing was nice. It did well for what it was.

However it wasn't innovative. Other MMOs don't owe it a debt. It didn't open a whole world for housing that other MMOs emulated. Pretty much everything you said in your first post is untrue.

I get that you like EQ2. I like EQ2. It was a really great game. I have very fond memories of it. But it wasn't in any way a pioneer in housing. Nobody owes it a debt because it didn't bring anything to the industry.

It might have fixed some of the jankiness of what SWG had, but that was at least in part through limiting what you could do with it. It only had a fraction of the ambition of SWG, it took far fewer risks, and (I'm sure) it also learned from some of the mistakes of SWG (because I'm sure many of the same people worked on both games). But there's a very good reason why it's not often mentioned in discussions of housing; it's because it didn't really bring anything new to the table.

(Keep in mind I have really fond memories of my little house in Freeport and my pet duck. And I did think my house in that game sure looked better than any of my houses in SWG. The game was newer though and had better graphics.)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    It might have fixed some of the jankiness of what SWG had, but that was at least in part through limiting what you could do with it. It only had a fraction of the ambition of SWG, it took far fewer risks, and (I'm sure) it also learned from some of the mistakes of SWG (because I'm sure many of the same people worked on both games). But there's a very good reason why it's not often mentioned in discussions of housing; it's because it didn't really bring anything new to the table.
    By that logic, no game has bought anything new to the table since UO.

EQ2 proved that player housing can be a polished feature.

Before it, developers didn't think it could.

After it, they knew it could.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2021
    It's actually taken more seriously than ff14 and eso, in which all you do is decorate and also, nobody in their right mind visits your home.

Houses in aoc will have tools that you actually use for progression, not just decorations you picked up effortlessly and you place around.
  • Options
    I have a question bois; Will there be like diferent sizes/layouts to the houses you can place?
  • Options
    RAYZZ wrote: »
    I have a question bois; Will there be like diferent sizes/layouts to the houses you can place?

Not a boi but generally yes in so much as.the apartments and static housing will have different sizes. Freeholds supposedly level up in size over time as well. Layouts are a less known detail.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_housing

• Options
    ShadonSolShadonSol Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    edited September 2021
    RAYZZ wrote: »

Yeah, there will be different sizes for freehold houses to choose from. Don't think we have an official quote about different layouts.
    In-node houses had different layouts and sizes in Alpha1 already.

JustVine wrote: »
    Not a boi but generally yes in so much as.the apartments and static housing will have different sizes. Freeholds supposedly level up in size over time as well. Layouts are a less known detail.

The size of the freehold is fixed and doesn't increase over time iirc.

volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    ShadonSol wrote: »
    JustVine wrote: »

Indeed.

Freeholds level up (or at least are stated to do so), but there is no details given as to what this actually means.
  • Options
    Certain buildings will have multiple tiers, with different footprint sizes. For example: Small, medium, large, to mansion-sized homes.[43]

A mansion sized home may occupy up to 50% of a freehold plot.[43]

It is more clear sounding in the actual live stream. Not 100% clearly confirmed, but it's pretty much so.

• Options
    ShadonSol wrote: »

That is referring to the half acre not the house itself. It's more clear in the actual live stream. Freehold building footprint size is determined by blueprint. No reason to assume this doesn't include housing given my other wiki citations.