Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How would u like to see augment?/ How do u seem them?

Im a bit of a weirdo and one of the thing I hate the most in game is ''Meta'' and seeing people trying to copy what a streamer/proplayer did in thinking its the best way of playing the game. Like seeing someone doing it and u beeing able to replicate it is the best way to play.

So to me I don't know i'd like the see the augment a bit like Diablo 3. In the sense I have multiple options for the choice of augments on each spell like 2-3. So peoples can really build the way they want and feel like it and not care for a said ''Meta''

But its just me. I know lots of people love to follow meta cause they cant picture a way of playing other than that.

So for you guys. How do u see or would like to see augments

Comments

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I cant know what the augment will look like until we test it.
    Having 4 flavours per 8 secondaries for many abilities seems too much.
    A lot of things can overlap.

I am afraid about meta. It happened in eso and AA. "Play as you want" and "free to customize" are just words so from past experiences.

Im also afraid about the animations.
    I would prefer they focus on 25 distince classes.
    Necro, paladin, warrior, archemage, bishop, summoner, dark knight, assassin, archer etc etc.

Clear identities, unique animations, 2-3 weapon options per class (with overlaps).
  • Having 4 flavours per 8 secondaries for many abilities seems too much.

Well Guild War 1 has over 1000 abilities and I loved it cause u could only choose 8 and 1 elite in your build amoung all of this so it was possible to really play the way u wanted and have really fun interaction.

I made so many nice but weird build in this game. Haha the Nostalgia
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    ptitoine wrote: »

Well Guild War 1 has over 1000 abilities

If we assume each augment counts as a unique ability (which it should), then this is what Ashes has.

8 primary classes, each with 30+ active abilities. Each class has 8 secondary classes, each secondary class has 4 augments per ability. Then there are racial and social organizational abilities, which I would not want to assume will be for all abilities, but will likely average out at 1 per primary ability, all told.

This gives the game 240+ un-augmented abilities, and about 7,920 augments for those 240 abilities, for a total of 8,160 abilities + their augments.

However, then there is the notion of skill ranks - and since these add new functionality to the abilities, they need to be counted as separate abilities.

Each ability has 3 ranks, making the total number of effective abilities in Ashes just shy of 25,000.
  • Noaani wrote: »

Well Guild War 1 has over 1000 abilities

If we assume each augment counts as a unique ability (which it should), then this is what Ashes has.

8 primary classes, each with 30+ active abilities. Each class has 8 secondary classes, each secondary class has 4 augments per ability. Then there are racial and social organizational abilities, which I would not want to assume will be for all abilities, but will likely average out at 1 per primary ability, all told.

This gives the game 240+ un-augmented abilities, and about 7,920 augments for those 240 abilities, for a total of 8,160 abilities + their augments.

However, then there is the notion of skill ranks - and since these add new functionality to the abilities, they need to be counted as separate abilities.

Each ability has 3 ranks, making the total number of effective abilities in Ashes just shy of 25,000.

O.o
    Don't say it like that, it's scary... Lol
    edited September 2021

Well Guild War 1 has over 1000 abilities and I loved it cause u could only choose 8 and 1 elite in your build amoung all of this so it was possible to really play the way u wanted and have really fun interaction.

I made so many nice but weird build in this game. Haha the Nostalgia

Gw1 wouldnt have many animations would it?
    Also why would I be happy with only 9 Hot Keys?
    Also, any reference that race and node type gets mixed with class abilities?
  • I cant know what the augment will look like until we test it.

I am afraid about meta. It happened in eso and AA. "Play as you want" and "free to customize" are just words so from past experiences.

Necro, paladin, warrior, archemage, bishop, summoner, dark knight, assassin, archer etc etc.

Clear identities, unique animations, 2-3 weapon options per class (with overlaps).

Can you elaborate a bit on unique animations? When I play I'm usually not looking at my character so I don't really know what his animations are.
    How much variance are you looking for?
    Like, if a summoner used the same pose for casting a summon but it had different particle effects for different classes (Necro purple glow where beast Master is green) is that bad?
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I guess this is one of those times where I actually should throw this out as an answer to the question.

Plus, it keeps it out of the main flow of the thread.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Gw1 wouldnt have many animations would it?

Well In Ashes u also can only have between 8 to 10 abilites active at same time so if u complain about the 8 from GW1 beeing not enough not sure Ashes is for u.

Also in term of animation alls these over 1000 spells had their animations some beeing similar but still its an old game. They did more than other MMO at the time thats for sure
    edited September 2021
    I cant know what the augment will look like until we test it.

Can you elaborate a bit on unique animations? When I play I'm usually not looking at my character so I don't really know what his animations are.
    Like, if a summoner used the same pose for casting a summon but it had different particle effects for different classes (Necro purple glow where beast Master is green) is that bad?

What do you mean you are not looking at your character? What about the other characters? Are you looking at them?
    edited September 2021

Well In Ashes u also can only have between 8 to 10 abilites active at same time so if u complain about the 8 from GW1 beeing not enough not sure Ashes is for u.
    This is untrue.

The number we have is that there will be fewer than 30 active abilities on the skill bars.

Also in term of animation alls these over 1000 spells had their animations some beeing similar but still its an old game. They did more than other MMO at the time thats for sure

Who said ashes will only have 10 active abilities at any time? Dont take A1 hotbars for end product
  • ptitoineptitoine Member
    edited September 2021
    Noaani wrote: »

The number we have is that there will be fewer than 30 active abilities on the skill bar.

So they are planning to have more spell at once than in Alpha1 ? Could be interesting. But in reality nobody really use more than 10-15 spells in most MMORPG.

Peoples tend to get comfused on class with too big rotations. Always if u had 30 spells at once to use im sure most wouldnt even be used in most situation.

Who said ashes will only have 10 active abilities at any time? Dont take A1 hotbars for end product

But I heard from one of their youtube videos (Dont remember which) Thats u couldnt use all abilities at once u had to pick and choose. So im guessing out of all abilities the Spell UI will still be similar

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Im a bit of a weirdo and one of the thing I hate the most in game is ''Meta'' and seeing people trying to copy what a streamer/proplayer did in thinking its the best way of playing the game. Like seeing someone doing it and u beeing able to replicate it is the best way to play.

So to me I don't know i'd like the see the augment a bit like Diablo 3. In the sense I have multiple options for the choice of augments on each spell like 2-3. So peoples can really build the way they want and feel like it and not care for a said ''Meta''

But its just me. I know lots of people love to follow meta cause they cant picture a way of playing other than that.

So for you guys. How do u see or would like to see augments
    This possible. Active skills have way more than just 2-3 possibilities:
    4 Schools from Secondary Archetype
    Racial augments
    Social Org augments
    Religion augments
    Node augments.
    IIRC, in some cases two augments can be applied to one Active Skill at the same time.
  • I cant know what the augment will look like until we test it.

What do you mean you are not looking at your character? What about the other characters? Are you looking at them?

Not nearly often enough to critique how they're spinning around. I look at my health bar, enemy health bars, cool Downs, teammate health bars, they're cooldowns, resurrection timers, flag cap times, templates of incoming attacks to dodge... Literally everything else in the game.

I have no idea how my dude swings his sword when I hit 6, I just know the effect, the timer for the buff that gives me so I know when to use it again, how much resource that costs or grants me... I guess the stuff I think is useful...

So about my question, how much variation in animations do you need? Because, how we play is clearly different, I don't understand what you're asking for...

The number we have is that there will be fewer than 30 active abilities on the skill bar.

So they are planning to have more spell at once than in Alpha1 ? Could be interesting. But in reality nobody really use more than 10-15 spells in most MMORPG.

Peoples tend to get comfused on class with too big rotations. Always if u had 30 spells at once to use im sure most wouldnt even be used in most situation.

But I heard from one of their youtube videos (Dont remember which) Thats u couldnt use all abilities at once u had to pick and choose. So im guessing out of all abilities the Spell UI will still be similar

A Shillien Knight in L2 would fill 3x12 hotbars with abilities, and one of my best mates would play him like a piano. It was a beautiful thing to watch him take solo an enemy party, agro and confuse nearby mobs to attack his enemies, while he was switching from debuffing everyone, draining health from the enemy with least magic defence and going full close contact assult on the nukers.

A player like that could make use of all the class abilities available and beat higher lv, higher gear people using the same class.

I hate small hotbars.

• A Shillien Knight in L2 would fill 3x12 hotbars with abilities, and one of my best mates would play him like a piano. It was a beautiful thing to watch him take solo an enemy party, agro and confuse nearby mobs to attack his enemies, while he was switching from debuffing everyone, draining health from the enemy with least magic defence and going full close contact assult on the nukers.

I hate small hotbars.

Yeah I believe u. L2 was fun. But im saying for most people having too much spell in the toolbar comfuse them and they tend to use the same ones all the times.

Also u might have to deal with the small toolbar. Sinse u have to pick and choose your abilities according to their youtube videos. So in case they change idea. In my mind you'll have to discard somes and make your own build with few abilities

Between my class abilities, consumables, teleport and transport options, I had around 60 hotkeys in EQ2.

Around 45 of them were things I used regularly in combat, the remaining were convenience.

I set all of them to not be visible as standard, my combat specific hotbars would become visible while in combat, and the rest would only show when moused over. While out of combat, my UI didn't show any elements at all - as it should be

Even in Archeage I had 30+ at a time.

In my experience, it's mostly just people that have WoW or ESO as their primary MMO experience that don't use more than a dozen or so abilities. Most other games require you to use more than that to be effective.

Between my class abilities, consumables, teleport and transport options, I had around 60 hotkeys in EQ2.

Around 45 of them were things I used regularly in combat, the remaining were convenience.

I set all of them to not be visible as standard, my combat specific hotbars would become visible while in combat, and the rest would only show when moused over. While out of combat, my UI didn't show any elements at all - as it should be

In my experience, it's mostly just people that have WoW or ESO as their primary MMO experience that don't use more than a dozen or so abilities. Most other games require you to use more than that to be effective.

I don't think I could play wow with just a different abilities
    I have 3x12 setup
    1-12, shift 1-12,alt1-12, then I guess Ctrl 1-10 if I am using a pet class... Then 2-3 other bars for all the random shit, mount, stone, consumables, profession, whatever...
    My bars in FFXIV are set up similarly, but not as full...
    8?
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    8?

... y'all good? Did someone steal your phone?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

Maybe I missunderstood what they meant by Pick and choose in the video sinse english isnt my native tongues. But yeah if u add consumable and everything it make sense to have lot more spells
  • PseudofirePseudofire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Don't follow the stagnant and common mmo method of applying an augment and it ALWAYS applying the same exact modifcation. Allow for variability, chance, luck, fortune in the application of one's craft. Keeps the market interesting.
    The modification will not be based on luck, chance or fortune.
    The same augment will affect different Active Skills differently. Sure.