Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Split Body Animation & Death Animation Feedback

LukiLulupedLukiLuluped Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited September 2021 in General Discussion
Hello Everyone,
I've been wanting to post my feedback about the Split Body Animation since Alpha 1 but kept postponing it, so here we are.

Split Body Animation

When you attack an enemy with the normal attack, if you are not close enough you still do the attack but miss, and that doesn't feel very good.
My proposal is when you have someone selected, if you are not in range when you are using your attack or a skill, your character to start moving towards the enemy and when in range to do the skill. Pretty much like other mmo's.

This will make the combat feel way better, and solve another problem when you try to tab-target a mob in front of you but you end up targeting a mob left of you and it's not in range. Instead of getting the message 'enemy not in range' thinking you selected the mob in front of you, your character will start moving left towards the mob that got selected.

In summary:
When selecting a mob and using any of the attacks, your character to start moving to that specific mob until it's in attack range and then perform the attack/skill.
This applies to other players as well in case of a cleric wanting to heal someone but not knowing exactly where they are and couldn't heal them because they were not in range.

Death Animation

In the last stream we all saw the new death animation which looks stunning. I love the idea and I never saw anything like it.
I want to give a bit of feedback regarding that.
Instead of just having the pile of ashes at the end, retain the body shape of the player that died in the ash pile so it looks like a body made of ashes. Also like this when you get ressurected the animation can be from the body of ashes, not just appearing from nowhere.

Comments

• Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Luki!
    I watched your podcast with Kevin Jordan!
    Welcome to the forums!
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    LukiLulupedLukiLuluped Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    maouw wrote: »
    Luki!
    I watched your podcast with Kevin Jordan!
    Welcome to the forums!

Thank you, I finally learned how to do it ^^
  • Options
    The death animation is a bit too... flashy... complicated for my tastes but hey, I trust the vision of the devs will work out in the end so yeah.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2021
    Sounds like they do plan to have a pile of ashes implemented later.
    The Ashes devs love them some flashy!!
    :tongue:
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I do not prefer your split body recommendation. I like having the freedom to swing in front of me, even if it means i can miss. It gives me a greater since of control and if i miss, it's easy to see why.
  • Options
    Kr0_ValKr0_Val Member
    edited September 2021
    Hello Everyone,
    I've been wanting to post my feedback about the Split Body Animation since Alpha 1 but kept postponing it, so here we are.

Split Body Animation

When you attack an enemy with the normal attack, if you are not close enough you still do the attack but miss, and that doesn't feel very good.
    My proposal is when you have someone selected, if you are not in range when you are using your attack or a skill, your character to start moving towards the enemy and when in range to do the skill. Pretty much like other mmo's.

This will make the combat feel way better, and solve another problem when you try to tab-target a mob in front of you but you end up targeting a mob left of you and it's not in range. Instead of getting the message 'enemy not in range' thinking you selected the mob in front of you, your character will start moving left towards the mob that got selected.

In summary:
    When selecting a mob and using any of the attacks, your character to start moving to that specific mob until it's in attack range and then perform the attack/skill.
    This applies to other players as well in case of a cleric wanting to heal someone but not knowing exactly where they are and couldn't heal them because they were not in range.

Death Animation

In the last stream we all saw the new death animation which looks stunning. I love the idea and I never saw anything like it.
    Instead of just having the pile of ashes at the end, retain the body shape of the player that died in the ash pile so it looks like a body made of ashes. Also like this when you get ressurected the animation can be from the body of ashes, not just appearing from nowhere.

When it comes to attacking, having the game do it for you would just be disengaging. Pvp would have a lower skill ceiling if the game does the action for you. Would you really prefer negating physicality and freedom over movement for convenience?

If you miss your attack for not being close enough, this can be fixed by reasonably sized hit boxes/ attack ranges. Or, if those are good already, get closer to your target? Why should the game move for you? That sounds like AFK arena, which is a mobile game that auto plays for you. Similar to Raid Shadow legends.
    Where's the satisfaction is gaining mechanical skill that enables you to maneuver boss attacks, enemy attacks, or player attacks? If the game walks and attacks for you, what will you do when you're a sitting duck in pvp?

Respectfully, Cosma c:
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really hope the death anim won't be the only 1. Looks cool but needs different varieties. Falling forward, back, blasted to the side etc
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I want to be able to write a short poem that my character will utter before gasping his last breath.

Please enable the Death Poem feature Intrepid, kthkxbye.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Death Animation

The new death animation is one of the coolest I've seen, and fits really well with the AoC lore. It's probably already being worked on, but still feel like it's important to mention that the current resurrection animation doesn't really match up. Instead of the current resurrection animation, it would be much cooler if either: (1) the ashes are set on fire, recreating the character with the flames; or (2) the ashes are made to form a pile out of which a (kneeling) character can rise. In case you instead respawn elsewhere, the ashes should in a different animation be scattered to the wind, embers fading, or something similar.

On the topic of dying, maybe the death animation needs to be adapted for the case of a flying (mounted) character. I should probably start by saying that I'm not sure about how the body position is currently determined upon death, but assuming that a character has some height and a large horizontal speed upon death , the final position on the ground should probably be determined using dead reckoning (pun intended) for it to look natural. Taking the height and velocity at the time of death into account, as well as gravity, the trajectory is after all only a simple parabola which could be used to guide the death animation to the ground.

Also, will the death animation include the mount (regarding mounts in general) if the character is mounted upon death, or will the mount simply disappear? And what about deaths in water? ;)
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited September 2021
    Atama wrote: »
    I want to be able to write a short poem that my character will utter before gasping his last breath.

A scrub named Atama he was hailed,
    while gathering ore he was nailed,
    despite being green,
    murdered he'd been,
    'cause the corruption system had failed.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2021
    CROW3 wrote: »

despite being green,
    murdered he'd been,

A scrub named Crow3 he was known,
    with his last breath he did groan,
    despite being short,
    murdered for sport,
    his body decayed down to bone.

The death animation is amazing!!! Also, I like that you can use an ability out of range. Being that we are wanting a hybrid action style of combat using free motion, I want to have to learn to be in the right position to connect my hits rather than be spammed with "you are out of range" voices or messages.
  • Options

despite being green,
    murdered he'd been,

Dag yo, I got limericked. :s

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Khronus wrote: »
    despite being short,
    murdered for sport,

Bwhahahhahahahaha!

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

despite being green,
    murdered he'd been,

despite being short,
    murdered for sport,

The death animation is amazing!!! Also, I like that you can use an ability out of range. Being that we are wanting a hybrid action style of combat using free motion, I want to have to learn to be in the right position to connect my hits rather than be spammed with "you are out of range" voices or messages.

A scrub named Khronus it was written
    With the strength and pride of a kitten
    Though he were a tank
    He took a deadly shank
    And the rogue got away with his chiton
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »

despite being green,
    murdered he'd been,

despite being short,
    murdered for sport,

Though he were a tank
    He took a deadly shank

A scrub with the name JustVine
    Was purple/green colorblind
    He picked on a farmer
    And proceeded to harm her
    He was easy for hunters to find

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    This topic should be renamed to "Ashes of Creation Flyting"
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

despite being green,
    murdered he'd been,

despite being short,
    murdered for sport,

Though he were a tank
    He took a deadly shank

He picked on a farmer

I like the deep irony in this one since I am both a farmer a woman and purple color blind lol. Good stuff.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    I feel like I opened an untapped need for Ashes limericks.

Two gatherers vied for some root,
    Their efforts his arrows made moot,
    Poor Khonus did cry,
    As Atama did die,
    And Crowe did pry all of their loot.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options

despite being green,
    murdered he'd been,

despite being short,
    murdered for sport,

Though he were a tank
    He took a deadly shank

He picked on a farmer

I like the deep irony in this one since I am both a farmer a woman and purple color blind lol. Good stuff.
    Sorry that should have been “she”!

(I relate, I’m a guy and often people assume I’m a woman online, I consider it a compliment though.)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Potato BasketPotato Basket Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2021
    Pretty much like other mmo's

I think ashes is all about not being like other mmos
  • Options
    (I relate, I’m a guy and often people assume I’m a woman online, I consider it a compliment though.)

Erm, no... why would you say that......?!

img]
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Conrad wrote: »
    I really hope the death anim won't be the only 1. Looks cool but needs different varieties. Falling forward, back, blasted to the side etc

It'd be cool to be able to choose your death animation as part of Character Creation.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Conrad wrote: »

It'd be cool to be able to choose your death animation as part of Character Creation.

Would be cool if the death animation was linked to the way you died (crushed, hit from the front, hit from the left, hit from the right, hit from behind, beheaded, cut in two, etc).

This being said, yeah I'd like to be able to choose for a ''biological'' death animation, from a ''mystical'' death animation using ash effects and so on.
  • Options
    Not entirely sure what the first one means entirely. I don't want the game doing actions for you though. I've tried systems like that in other games and it's always super annoying. Often never does an action close to what I want to do. If you mean how other games generally tell you you're out of range though then I'm fine with that.

I agree with the death animation though. Having something tied to the model of the dead character would be a little better.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options

despite being green,
    murdered he'd been,

despite being short,
    murdered for sport,

Though he were a tank
    He took a deadly shank

HAHAHA I love you
  • Options
    Odal wrote: »

I don't think I like the new death animaton, except from a story perspective, cause the thing with a death animation is that it must feel punchy as fuck. Wow did it good.
    And if you just turn into ash - that "punchy" feeling of "I rekt you" is pretty much deleted. But maybe im wrong, I haven't played the game so we'll see. Maybe it will work somehow and still has a good feeling.

I am beyond confused at what you are wanting. A punchy feeling death animation? Killing someone and having them burn into a pile of ash is not satisfying? Maybe it would be more fitting for you if a meteor came down and crashed into the enemy every time they died? a boxing glove appeared and K.O.'d them?

In wow the body just falls over and lays there. Eventually it becomes a skeleton. A cartoon skeleton.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

I don't think I like the new death animaton, except from a story perspective, cause the thing with a death animation is that it must feel punchy as fuck. Wow did it good.
    And if you just turn into ash - that "punchy" feeling of "I rekt you" is pretty much deleted. But maybe im wrong, I haven't played the game so we'll see. Maybe it will work somehow and still has a good feeling.

I am beyond confused at what you are wanting. A punchy feeling death animation? Killing someone and having them burn into a pile of ash is not satisfying? Maybe it would be more fitting for you if a meteor came down and crashed into the enemy every time they died? a boxing glove appeared and K.O.'d them?

In wow the body just falls over and lays there. Eventually it becomes a skeleton. A cartoon skeleton.

You are confused about this simple text? Alright.....errr..... Yeah exactly I want them to fall down "UERGGUU AHHHHHHH AAAA!!!!", not turn into ash like *poof*

But for a second time (as in my first post) - it might work and feel good, who knows. I haven't tried it.

Your original comment confused me because I honestly don't understand your perspective. Wow death animation was trash and did/does not feel "punchy" (wtf does that even mean?).

Let me break it down a bit. The thing with a death animation is not that it needs to be punchy. It simply needs to represent the death of a player. If I finish you off with an execute style attack using my great axe, whether you fall to the ground making a stupid noise and turn into a cartoon skeleton or fall over onto the ground while burning up into a pile of ash, you still died. Both served their purpose and both should give you the satisfaction of "I rekt you".

What I am assuming you would benefit more from are proper sounds from landing attacks and critical strikes. Certain games have very amusing uses of these things. Rust headshots for example do a great job of rewarding me with that ever so sweet crunch when I shoot the noggin.

Even with the previous placeholder death animation it felt rewarding to murder people when I played. You're going to enjoy the game 100%. We need players with your thirst for blood : ).
  • Options
    I love the death animation. It tells a story about how the characters are able to come back to life and ties into the game title.

It reminds me of vampires that turn into ash upon dying regardless of how they die; stake through the heart, decapitation, prolonged exposure to sunlight, etc. That happens because they’re vampires. What happens to our characters is also due to the nature of what they are.

Plus it looks pretty cool. And it’s a lot more distinctive than the typical “I’m a corpse now” result of a typical game.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2021
    The popularity of WoW had nothing to do with the death animations, come on now. Punchy how? They are just generic "aaaaargh" and they crumble and fall over to the front, back or side. If you want to bring an example of good death animations, WoW surely isn't it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8a25tSdWa8
  • Options
    I watched that whole video of wow death animations and man do I really understand now. That was the single most punchiest video I have ever seen. You were right @Odal . There is no point in arguing with you as there is no way you are wrong. I may play wow again because of just how punchy those death animations are. I'll name my character punchy mcpunchington III. I'll only ever use fist weapons to increase the amount of raw punchage. punch.