Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Star Citizen Effect

2»

Comments

• Options
    Agann wrote: »
    So I am going to preface this by saying I Kickstarted this game WAY back when. I have Alpha2 access that I have been patiently waiting for since then.

I wouldnt worry myself if I were you yet. I mean to create a game like assassin's creed they usually are 4-5 years in production in advance.

Now we talk about an MMORPG. Not just a single player Open world. To have a good one you should wait at least 7year in production minimum. Ashes is really ambitious I could even go with 9year of production to be honest.

We still aint there yet. And Alpha 1 was release not long ago. So I dont think there is anything to worry

• Options
    PlutarPlutar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ptitoine wrote: »
    Agann wrote: »
    So I am going to preface this by saying I Kickstarted this game WAY back when. I have Alpha2 access that I have been patiently waiting for since then.

I wouldnt worry myself if I were you yet. I mean to create a game like assassin's creed they usually are 4-5 years in production in advance.

Now we talk about an MMORPG. Not just a single player Open world. To have a good one you should wait at least 7year in production minimum. Ashes is really ambitious I could even go with 9year of production to be honest.

We still aint there yet. And Alpha 1 was release not long ago. So I dont think there is anything to worry

After 9 years of production time you would run into the issue of outdated technology being used. See the most recent installment of Duke Nukem. IN FACT, they are already exploring the use of a NEW technology (Unreal Engine 5) while all of their custom code-base is on Unreal Engine 4, deciding if it is feasible to swap over. So taking longer can cause even further delays if you then decide the new tech. is required. Increased production time does NOT mean you are getting a more polished game. After a certain point, it means project management is almost non-existent. I have faith in AoC, that's why I have supported it.

But I would lose that faith if 9 years passed with only a Beta to show for it.
  • Options
    AgannAgann Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Appreciate the constructive conversation surrounding this topic. After reading through this thread, as well as the roadmap it does make me feel much better about my investment in this game. I also appreciate the direct feedback from someone on the team. Keep up the great work and hope Alpha 2 lands sooner than later!
  • Options
    You can make good games on outdated technology. Most junior developers can probably recreate diablo 2 with the development tools they got now in like a month. Same could be said about the technology they are using really.

Once you get to a point in technology. Improvements are actually quite small. So unless there were drastic resource or rendering improvements. Then I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East