Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should Secondary Archetypes be More Permanent?

13»

Comments

• Options
    I want to be able to change secondary via some kind of respec process, perhaps with a cost and cooldown required. This is important player agency in my opinion.
  • Options
    ButtercupCloverButtercupClover Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I too think there should be some kind of cost. Maybe not a cooldown but a cost large enough to make someone really think about whether they want to change or not.
  • Options
    Can the cost or cooldown scale based off of level?
    I get not wanting people to switch back and forth all the time, but I know when I hit 25 I'm going to want to play around with a few secondaries until I find the one I enjoy the most.

Making that permanent sounds bad. Imagine logging in for the first time and being told to choose a primary archetype and that being permanent... You don't enjoy that class? Well too bad, you're stuck with it ...

At Max level give switching secondaries a week long cooldown or something to prevent that from being a normal thing.
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2021
    Can the cost or cooldown scale based off of level?
    I get not wanting people to switch back and forth all the time, but I know when I hit 25 I'm going to want to play around with a few secondaries until I find the one I enjoy the most.

Making that permanent sounds bad. Imagine logging in for the first time and being told to choose a primary archetype and that being permanent... You don't enjoy that class? Well too bad, you're stuck with it ...

At Max level give switching secondaries a week long cooldown or something to prevent that from being a normal thing.

I agree with the cool down/ cost being lower at lower level. At max it should be long and costly imo. This would stop people from feeling stuck but also prevent people switching just because they're doing a different dungeon or whatever. Intrepid talks about wanting players to be "known crafters/pvp/pve'ers" on a server. That only happens if the masses can't easily copy.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Optics- wrote: »
    Played lots of mmos Theory crafting IS WHERE YOUR PVPERS live…. Diminishing return for respec or increase cost per respec but their should be a window of opportunity to test/try/ experience each skill combo experience for players to be able to dial in how they want to play in relation to finding a viable build….

This ^ exactly. I think players should be able to try out different options to figure out what they like best for their individual playstyle, or what they think the META will be for that primary archetype, or whatever. Requiring a player to re-roll completely just to try out a different secondary archetype after investing many hours into a character is way too rigid of a requirement. I think the way they are planning on doing it sounds good. Make it an option to switch your secondary archetype, but require some time/effort/cost to switching.
  • Options
    I believe you should have to do a quest(single time) to unlock each of the secondary archetypes, as for changing between secondary archetypes, a 1h cooldown restriction should be enough in my opinion.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    insomniainsomnia Member
    edited November 2021
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    @insomnia It's like you ignored the whole point of my post. To point out: "Choices does matter".

As if I explicitly said choices don't matter. Which I did not. I stated my personal preference and how this is a good opportunity to do something meaningful economically with the game.

The point of my post is that this is a good opportunity to do something good for the economy.

Then you missread my post. You made it sound like they don't. It's the philosophy of the game. I just said Steven said, choises matter. I can't see how making secondary class permanent helps the economy. What it does, is frustrate people. Nothing will prevent you from not changing your secondary class. How many people do you think would want to level the same class again, just to have some changes to their abilites. When leveling takes time, and there are other classes. Perhaps people would want to try more than one. It could cause some to quit the game.
    Intrepid never said secondary made the class completely different.
    It would be the same as saying, a wizard that picked ice as their element. Would have to completely reroll a new character, if they wanted to try fire.
    Some people do have a life
  • Options
    Locking the secondary archetype would give a lot more value on rerolling the same archetype more than once. So I'm actually for your class being permanent with absolutely no changing. Also it makes it harder to gather data manually which is better for the game in the long run. So locking them will delay the meta even longer and make the game fun for even longer.

I'm all for it. However, the tree can't be permanent with no respecs because that will probably screw you harder and be a bigger reason for people to quit. That doesn't need to be easy to do though. I'd rather the price to doing it be some ridiculously hard to craft consumable so that the price changes with the game. So it's always ridiculously hard to respec.

I'd like it to be a consumable either way that is hard to craft that has absolutely no pure gold sink option. I'd prefer it if the class was permanent for each character though.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    Locking the secondary archetype would give a lot more value on rerolling the same archetype more than once. So I'm actually for your class being permanent with absolutely no changing. Also it makes it harder to gather data manually which is better for the game in the long run. So locking them will delay the meta even longer and make the game fun for even longer.

I'm all for it. However, the tree can't be permanent with no respecs because that will probably screw you harder and be a bigger reason for people to quit. That doesn't need to be easy to do though. I'd rather the price to doing it be some ridiculously hard to craft consumable so that the price changes with the game. So it's always ridiculously hard to respec.

I'd like it to be a consumable either way that is hard to craft that has absolutely no pure gold sink option. I'd prefer it if the class was permanent for each character though.

It will not make it more fun. It will just make it frustrating, if you picked the wrong one. Do you level more of one class in an mmo? I personaly don't. If the secondary class can be permanent. Then talents can be permanet (which is also a bad/stupid idea). Secondary class is pretty much just different talents.
    Why does it have to be ridicously hard. Some people actualy have a life
  • Options
    I think it's a good idea you can change it, definitely not on the fly and maybe not so often ? idk for sure. It still adds some variety to your playstyle, maybe change on your party setup or sth, I believe its good. Im in favor of adding a long quest chain before you are able to do any change to it tho. I mean the first time at least. Make you earn the ability to change ur class, pretty much like the sub class system in lineage 2.
    3hmamy1ekfqy.gif