Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corruption…. LOOKING FORWARD TO ‘Sith”….

I have played many of the current MMO RPGs always based my characters looks builds and theme, “Sith Lord” of that particular platform. Wow BDO ESO ect… With that being said I am pleading to have this heard to not completely cripple the idea of being a head hunting pvper, not so much a Ganker that stuff is crap but to have some type of system in place via religion or Nod type that plays to the (Darker) nature of players and rewards them for being excellent at solo style play in pvp I like the corruption idea to stop the ganking but maybe some people want to be hunted by bounty hunters and the good guys lol you make it a choice to hunt the gankers I want to Hunt the people hunting them.. IE chose to be Marked as Corrupted with out committing the gank act there in negating the x4 cost at death… and amplifying the reward for killing “combatant” players… Just an idea…..

Want to build a bomber…. you have large scale pvp… You say high risk high skill = greater rewards Steve
Take a gander from your failed competitor as far as what I was able to create on their platform I was a thing to be feared…. the originator of the BOMBER in ESO the one and only Optics- I attributed to the rise of many emperors in my time played to bad their servers turned to SHIT
https://youtu.be/9g_fI-NYdJw

Comments

• Options
    They've said previously that there won't be a toggle to set your base Corruption level. There was a 70-ish page thread about it on the forum....

I think it would be a good RP tool. Would enable you to flesh out your character's personality. But, I do think you'd have to keep the penalties that go with it, or it would be a cheap get-out for people to abuse the system.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I would like it and I think it would make sense if Corruption made you stronger despite the risk of losing items upon death.
    This being said, my understanding is that it makes you weaker...

So no sith so far... maybe reverse sith :(
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ironhope wrote: »
    So no sith so far... maybe reverse sith :(

Yeah, you gotta move the h two places to the left :wink:

I do understand the desire, but I also think it's gonna mess with the whole purpose of the corruption system, and disrupt it. To me it's way more important that works well.
  • Options
    There is nothing stopping you from hunting bounty hunters. It's something you're already completely free to do. Bounty hunters must flag as combatants (purple) in order to find corrupted on the map. This means that anyone who sees a bounty hunter is free to attack them without any corruption penalty.

What I would do if I were you is go to the nearest city and become a bounty hunter yourself. Then watch other players and your bounty hunter map. If they become combatants and start moving in the direction of the nearest corrupted player on the map, then follow them outside the city and kill them without any corrupted penalty.

It seems like you're aware, but corruption is only meant to be a penalty mechanic. Maybe it should be called something else like "weakness disease" to stop people from idealizing it and treating it as a lifestyle.
  • Options
    Im not a big PvPer or ganker, but I would love if in this game we have some very bad guys, like entire guilds of chaos lead by a true Sauron, they ravage the land, massacre innocents and hide in the mountains. Then the free peoples of Verra would have to unite to defeat them in an epic battle.

I think we have too much corruption penalties for this to happen, specially the lowering of the stats, wich makes it basicly nonsense to try to be a "bad guy" and bring terror to the population.
  • Options
    Marcet wrote: »
    Im not a big PvPer or ganker, but I would love if in this game we have some very bad guys, like entire guilds of chaos lead by a true Sauron, they ravage the land, massacre innocents and hide in the mountains. Then the free peoples of Verra would have to unite to defeat them in an epic battle
    Guilds can do this without corruption penalties. They can cause havoc on caravan trading routes, massacre anyone in contested zones, change their guild icon to sauron's eye, lure bounty hunters into traps, steal dungeon loot by killing the ones who raided the dungeon (assuming dungeons or wherever they intercept them are in contested zones), destroy entire cities, destroy guild castles, and on and on.

You can have extremely malicious guilds without removing corruption penalties or turning corruption into a lifestyle. Just because a designation of corruption exists, doesn't mean that there is nothing malicious outside of corruption. Corruption = Penalty. Malicious actions are not limited to actions that result in corruption.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    To be fair, it's more light side and dark side of the force. Jedi and Sith (aside from the Sith race) are factions loosely based on what side of the force spectrum they use before diving deep into the universe of Star Wars.
    Even light and dark is a matter of perspective depending on what one would deem "good" and "evil".
  • Options
    I see what y’all are saying about “corruption” mostly being the mechanic to stop people from maliciously ganking…. But I think is should be reserved for when players Gank significantly lower lvl players or way lower gear score players…

“please don’t gank me while I farm top tear mats on my endgame Dps build” So I can gear up with out resistance then turn around and go god mode on people because I hit legendary gear score before everyone else cause I didn’t flag for pvp until I was top tear.

This is my fear with this system…
    Being marked as a combatant better have at least a 20% drop rate buff, 25% more mats harvested and 30 to 40% more Xp earned otherwise WHY WOULD YOU FLAG FOR PVP unless it was a pvp “event” happening IE transport, node siege, or Castle seige… Think logically. People will only flag for pvp when it is safe and benefits them to pvp…. Selective pvp status at end game level is kinda crap in my mind… primarily for material harvesting reasons… Although until we see how contested areas work I’m very hope full that they will get it right.

Secondly I am hoping the “religion” aspects will allow for a “Darkside” type of “theme” to style your characters…. Ya know red eyes pale skin, crazy dark robes and “necromancer” shit…

Point me to a guild looking to massacre the “happy people” and I will join. What is Good with out Evil. What is pleasure without suffering….

Can’t have an epic hero’s with out a few God mode villains running around

Once servers and what not start showing up pre launch I will be Starting a discussion to recruit Darkside players… I ran large scale pvp groups in ESO but I do not have the time to be a full blown GM anymore but I’m sure there are many like minded Sinister bastards out their chomping at the bit to reek havoc on the fluffies… ;)

Optics- Out
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    It's not a gameplay content.
    It's an open world PvP system to prevent killing sprees.

Feel free to roleplay as you like.
    Dont expect changes to the system.
  • Options
    To be fair, it's more light side and dark side of the force. Jedi and Sith (aside from the Sith race) are factions loosely based on what side of the force spectrum they use before diving deep into the universe of Star Wars.
    Even light and dark is a matter of perspective depending on what one would deem "good" and "evil".

You know what I was getting at though….. not trying to be all philosophical :)
    I just wanna murder some questers and look scary doing it lol
  • Options
    Optics- wrote: »

You know what I was getting at though….. not trying to be all philosophical :)
    I just wanna murder some questers and look scary doing it lol

:wink: I know what you're getting at, I was just being "that guy" for moment haha
  • Options
    This is my fear with this system…
    Being marked as a combatant better have at least a 20% drop rate buff, 25% more mats harvested and 30 to 40% more Xp earned otherwise WHY WOULD YOU FLAG FOR PVP unless it was a pvp “event” happening IE transport, node siege, or Castle seige… Think logically. People will only flag for pvp when it is safe and benefits them to pvp…. Selective pvp status at end game level is kinda crap in my mind… primarily for material harvesting reasons… Although until we see how contested areas work I’m very hope full that they will get it right.

An attacker will flag for PvP to gain an advantage over whoever they're attacking. That advantage could be to steal their loot, to remove them from a power-levelling area, to give the attacker a chuckle by attacking them just for shits and giggles, etc.

A defender will flag for PvP to gain an advantage for themselves. That advantage could be to ensure that if they die, they drop less loot and receive less XP-debt, to steal the attacker's loot, to remove the attacker from their area, to teach the attacker a vital lesson not to attack them again, etc.

People will indeed only flag for PvP when it benefits them, but there are plenty of different benefits that could direct this.
  • Options
    bigepeen wrote: »
    Im not a big PvPer or ganker, but I would love if in this game we have some very bad guys, like entire guilds of chaos lead by a true Sauron, they ravage the land, massacre innocents and hide in the mountains. Then the free peoples of Verra would have to unite to defeat them in an epic battle
    Guilds can do this without corruption penalties. They can cause havoc on caravan trading routes, massacre anyone in contested zones, change their guild icon to sauron's eye, lure bounty hunters into traps, steal dungeon loot by killing the ones who raided the dungeon (assuming dungeons or wherever they intercept them are in contested zones), destroy entire cities, destroy guild castles, and on and on.

You can have extremely malicious guilds without removing corruption penalties or turning corruption into a lifestyle. Just because a designation of corruption exists, doesn't mean that there is nothing malicious outside of corruption. Corruption = Penalty. Malicious actions are not limited to actions that result in corruption.

Quoted just to make sure people see it!
  • Options
    bigepeen wrote: »

Secondly I am hoping the “religion” aspects will allow for a “Darkside” type of “theme” to style your characters…. Ya know red eyes pale skin, crazy dark robes and “necromancer” shit…

WaveyGravy was right to quote that, it is quite apt and essentially what I was going to say. There are many avenues to play evil-y without retooling corruption. It is to prevent ganking and is unfortunately named because it keeps sparking people's PvP themed interests. And yeah, if you want to be 'evil' there probably will be some corruption involved- you are entering into a free-for-all system to gain personal power. Sith kill each other, too.

I hope they do design some structures and mechanics that fit thematically with anti-social/ death god/ miscreant/ criminal intentions for aesthetic and PvP instead of just node war and caravan hassling.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    I do understand the desire, but I also think it's gonna mess with the whole purpose of the corruption system, and disrupt it. To me it's way more important that works well.

I'm aware what the purpose of the system is.

I'm also aware people are likely going to work their way around it masterfully.

That is if the system even makes it into the game (Amazon didn't have the balls to go for an actual pvp game and now its just a bad manner autistic fest of a game).
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Wanting to play a corrupt character is like wanting to play a crack head.

Sure, whatever floats your boat, but your character will be pathetic.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    Wanting to play a corrupt character is like wanting to play a crack head.

Sure, whatever floats your boat, but your character will be pathetic.

You missed the point of what I was saying....
  • Options
    if you want to be dark and spooky play a necromancer, they are the closest ties to corruption without having to engage with the mechanic.
    Through his summoning rituals Atrax finally learned how to achieve immortality. But the Ancients were deceptive in actually not informing him how this would deform his conduit (his soul) that exists with the Essence. Atrax eventually underwent a process of becoming first Lich and first undead on Verra.[31]
    It was from this pursuit of immortality that undeath became a reality on Verra: Atrax had begun different rituals on his subjects, which allowed the undeath to propagate across the world, causing suffering amongst his subjects.[31]
    The Ancients had previously learned from The Others how to use the Essence to achieve immortality themselves. Unlike Atrax, they became immortal in a pure form, more akin to the godhood that exists among the Pantheon, which prohibited them from encompassing this undeath component themselves. This pure form of immortality was not taught to King Atrax.[31]

here's the rest if you are interested. https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Lore#King_Atrax
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022
    You want to be a villain. Sure. What are you doing to add to others gameplay if we take your suggestions into play?

You certainly aren't more of a bounty hunting target. That is already built in the current system.

You aren't really adding to a persons thrill factor (outside existing systems.) Not only will fighting strong mobs likely be more fun, there are going to be plenty of fight clubs with a sense of comradery IF combat is skillful/fun.

So it adds what, evil religion? That will already exist. There is basically no real reason to add it to corruption as it does not add to other people's gameplay. You want to disrupt people's fun in a way that adds to their own? Go hunt a caravan. Go siege a castle.

Heck even get org missions for erecting territory corrupting totems that disrupt trade/drops somehow to create an objective for nonevil religion orgs quests to smash (completely made up off the cuff idea not confirmed by IS). There are plenty of sensible things to connect to evil religion goals with in the game while contributing to the world.

Heck go grow eggplants in the name of my corrupt god of harvest.

If none of that appeals to you either accept the games penalties and write your own fanfic on the matter or go play knights of the old republic in your anti-social fantasy. There is no reasonable bonus to give corrupt players other than mats dropped from their victims.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »
    You want to be a villain. Sure. What are you doing to add to others gameplay if we take your suggestions into play?

You certainly aren't more of a bounty hunting target. That is already built in the current system.

You aren't really adding to a persons thrill factor (outside existing systems.) Not only will fighting strong mobs likely be more fun, there are going to be plenty of fight clubs with a sense of comradery IF combat is skillful/fun.

So it adds what, evil religion? That will already exist. There is basically no real reason to add it to corruption as it does not add to other people's gameplay. You want to disrupt people's fun in a way that adds to their own? Go hunt a caravan. Go siege a castle.

Heck even get org missions for erecting territory corrupting totems that disrupt trade/drops somehow to create an objective for nonevil religion orgs quests to smash (completely made up off the cuff idea not confirmed by IS). There are plenty of sensible things to connect to evil religion goals with in the game while contributing to the world.

Heck go grow eggplants in the name of my corrupt god of harvest.

If none of that appeals to you either accept the games penalties and write your own fanfic on the matter or go play knights of the old republic in your anti-social fantasy. There is no reasonable bonus to give corrupt players other than mats dropped from their victims.[/quot

These types of ideas where what I was trying to say...

on top of being able to create a dark and spooky character with out it being class bound...
    I will assume that the "darker" religion paths will have cosmetics or gear sets to allow for this

I had a novice understanding of the corruption system when I originally posted this FYI
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If all you want is cosmetics and gear to make you look spook you will definitely be catered to by the cosmetics team. So nothing to worry about there.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    If all you want is cosmetics and gear to make you look spook you will definitely be catered to by the cosmetics team. So nothing to worry about there.

I even have cosmetics already on my account that’ll do that.

Right now I’m planning for my main to wear this, I also have boots, gloves, and a belt to match:

Fathomveil.png

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

Right now I’m planning for my main to wear this, I also have boots, gloves, and a belt to match:

Fathomveil.png

This set's also pretty badass. Face_of_Sorrow.png?width=1202&height=676
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    A true force of chaos does not ask for the system to be made to benefit them, they simply bypass it through other means.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »
    A true force of chaos does not ask for the system to be made to benefit them, they simply bypass it through other means.

Agreed and that out fit is sick Sathrago, I have been debating to jump into the alpha 2, kinda been waiting on the right cosmetic pack and I didnt see that one until it was to late... has anyone found or founded a guild with the dark side in mind? I have been filling my mmo down time playing Valhalla lately kinda put this game on the back burner since it is so far from launch LOVE the fact that it will be a unreal engine 5 game this game my truely be the LEGENDARY game of a generation.
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »

Fathomveil.png

This set's also pretty badass. Face_of_Sorrow.png?width=1202&height=676

Yeah, but unfortunately you can't mix and match pieces of a full costume. I have a few costumes but I'm not even sure when or if I'll wear them. I don't like the lack of customization.

That costume does look pretty sweet on its own though.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

Yeah, but unfortunately you can't mix and match pieces of a full costume. I have a few costumes but I'm not even sure when or if I'll wear them. I don't like the lack of customization.

Yeah the fact that you cant mix and match costumes sucks, but hopefully they have a dye system for said costumes to change up the monotony.
  • Options
    BoanergeseBoanergese Member
    edited January 2022
    I_Find_Your_Lack_of_Faith_Disturbing_banner.jpg
  • Options

Yeah the fact that you cant mix and match costumes sucks, but hopefully they have a dye system for said costumes to change up the monotony.

According to the Wiki, dyes will be available on any cosmetic, but only portions of them can be dyed. So you can maybe dye the trim or whatever. We’ll see!

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

According to the Wiki, dyes will be available on any cosmetic, but only portions of them can be dyed. So you can maybe dye the trim or whatever. We’ll see!

well looking at the cosmetic i linked before, i think we can safely say we all want to dye the glowing red part.