Corruption…. LOOKING FORWARD TO ‘Sith”….

2»

Comments

• bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Atama wrote: »

Yeah, but unfortunately you can't mix and match pieces of a full costume. I have a few costumes but I'm not even sure when or if I'll wear them. I don't like the lack of customization.

That costume does look pretty sweet on its own though.

Yeah the fact that you cant mix and match costumes sucks, but hopefully they have a dye system for said costumes to change up the monotony.

According to the Wiki, dyes will be available on any cosmetic, but only portions of them can be dyed. So you can maybe dye the trim or whatever. We’ll see!

well looking at the cosmetic i linked before, i think we can safely say we all want to dye the glowing red part.

But that's the best part.

Just needs more flowing out like Blood!
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Sathrago wrote: »

Yeah, but unfortunately you can't mix and match pieces of a full costume. I have a few costumes but I'm not even sure when or if I'll wear them. I don't like the lack of customization.

That costume does look pretty sweet on its own though.

Yeah the fact that you cant mix and match costumes sucks, but hopefully they have a dye system for said costumes to change up the monotony.

According to the Wiki, dyes will be available on any cosmetic, but only portions of them can be dyed. So you can maybe dye the trim or whatever. We’ll see!

well looking at the cosmetic i linked before, i think we can safely say we all want to dye the glowing red part.

But that's the best part.

Just needs more flowing out like Blood!

well what if it was neon green or a ghoulish purple? being able to change the LEDs on this bad boy would be the best choice.
    8vf24h7y7lio.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • I too would like some sort of gameplay associated with obtaining corruption, but I completely understand why that would be a bad idea.

The problem imo is that the evil power in the universe is "the corruption" and then you gain "corruption" when you do evil things, so this leads one to believe that it is a story related gameplay option. Poor choice of words me thinks.

I think it would be cool to see some sort of temporary event around corrupted players where you can be corrupted and do some stuff and others can team up and kill you. Just an idea, and probably not a popular idea.
  • McShave wrote: »
    I too would like some sort of gameplay associated with obtaining corruption, but I completely understand why that would be a bad idea.

The problem imo is that the evil power in the universe is "the corruption" and then you gain "corruption" when you do evil things, so this leads one to believe that it is a story related gameplay option. Poor choice of words me thinks.

I think it would be cool to see some sort of temporary event around corrupted players where you can be corrupted and do some stuff and others can team up and kill you. Just an idea, and probably not a popular idea.

See I think there is a grey area for bandits, pirates and thieves as those are "allowed" in the world without gaining corruption. It is only when you commit a truly malicious/evil act like killing an innocent non-combatant that you become a corrupted entity. Now this does not include the natural corruption that spreads like an air-based virus that seems to also be a factor. We need more information on this to be sure but that is at least my interpretation of it.
    8vf24h7y7lio.jpg
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    McShave wrote: »

Sounds like a cool arena game where one person hunts and tge other team tries to raid the roguelike generated obstacle course. Or maybe a holiday event. Hunt the krampus! No rewards for being the krampus but its the spirit of the holiday. You sign up at your local registery donning the costume or something. Maybe you get presents you cant use personally to drop from your corpse for other people's festivities. But in the arenas case you don't really need to be corrupted and the reward is arena related and not corpse looting.
    Node coffers: Single Payer Capitalism in action
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2022
    I too would like some sort of gameplay associated with obtaining corruption, but I completely understand why that would be a bad idea.

Think about consensual PvP as like being a live action role-player, whacking away at people with foam swords. You can role play being a bandit, or murderer, betraying people, all that stuff. It's just fantasy and pretend and that's cool. And you can do that in Ashes, no problem. Killing folks to take their stuff, or protect your territory, that kind of thing is fine. As long as they participate.

Now, to get back to the LARP analogy, let's say that you're playing a scoundrel, and some guy is taking a break, sipping some bottled water and catching his breath. You come up from behind him and start smacking him around with your foam sword, and he asks you to stop; he's not doing the LARP, he's out of character and trying to rehydrate, and not ready or willing to fight. And you smack him across the face, declaring that you're the Dark Knight of the Forbidden Wood and show no mercy.

Whoever does security comes along, confiscates your sword and kicks you out for the day. That kind of crap ain't cool. You're ruining the fun people were having and making an ass of yourself. But maybe your absence is a problem, because you have a big role in some ongoing storyline. So they make up some story about you being imprisoned by the authorities, it fits your character's role and isn't that far from the truth. They aren't condoning what you did and the fact that they weaved it into the story shouldn't be taken as encouragement. And they absolutely aren't going to reward you for it in any way.

This part, though, is already being done. somewhat. Corrupted players can have bounties on them, and other players can choose to be bounty hunters and hunt you down. It's probably not going to be a lot of fun for you, unless you just like the thrill of danger, because if they catch you and kill you then you just lose resources and possibly even drop gear. It's part of the punishment. But it isn't all that different from your idea, honestly.

https://ashes101.com/bountyhunter

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Bounty_hunters

Hhak63P.png
  • Atama wrote: »

Think about consensual PvP as like being a live action role-player, whacking away at people with foam swords. You can role play being a bandit, or murderer, betraying people, all that stuff. It's just fantasy and pretend and that's cool. And you can do that in Ashes, no problem. Killing folks to take their stuff, or protect your territory, that kind of thing is fine. As long as they participate.

Now, to get back to the LARP analogy, let's say that you're playing a scoundrel, and some guy is taking a break, sipping some bottled water and catching his breath. You come up from behind him and start smacking him around with your foam sword, and he asks you to stop; he's not doing the LARP, he's out of character and trying to rehydrate, and not ready or willing to fight. And you smack him across the face, declaring that you're the Dark Knight of the Forbidden Wood and show no mercy.

Whoever does security comes along, confiscates your sword and kicks you out for the day. That kind of crap ain't cool. You're ruining the fun people were having and making an ass of yourself. But maybe your absence is a problem, because you have a big role in some ongoing storyline. So they make up some story about you being imprisoned by the authorities, it fits your character's role and isn't that far from the truth. They aren't condoning what you did and the fact that they weaved it into the story shouldn't be taken as encouragement. And they absolutely aren't going to reward you for it in any way.[/quote

Dude seriously rolling laughing at this analogy well done!!! Spot on
  • Atama wrote: »

Whoever does security comes along, confiscates your sword and kicks you out for the day. That kind of crap ain't cool. You're ruining the fun people were having and making an ass of yourself. But maybe your absence is a problem, because you have a big role in some ongoing storyline. So they make up some story about you being imprisoned by the authorities, it fits your character's role and isn't that far from the truth. They aren't condoning what you did and the fact that they weaved it into the story shouldn't be taken as encouragement. And they absolutely aren't going to reward you for it in any way.

This part, though, is already being done. somewhat. Corrupted players can have bounties on them, and other players can choose to be bounty hunters and hunt you down. It's probably not going to be a lot of fun for you, unless you just like the thrill of danger, because if they catch you and kill you then you just lose resources and possibly even drop gear. It's part of the punishment. But it isn't all that different from your idea, honestly.

https://ashes101.com/bountyhunter

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Bounty_hunters

This should be the real copy-pasta for corruption rewards threads from now on.
    8vf24h7y7lio.jpg
  • A quest may be utilized to reduce the player kill (PK) count of a corrupt player in order for them to accumulate less corruption score in the future.[34][33]
    This is a design shift from a religious quest being used to directly reduce the corruption score.[35]
    Corruption duration is reduced in military nodes.[36]
    Corrupt players killing bounty hunters
    Corrupted players potentially gain rewards for killing bounty hunters.
  • Optics2134 wrote: »
    Corrupted players potentially gain rewards for killing bounty hunters.

That particular line is from a video that was in 2018, and has been taken down for some reason. The most likely guess is that this was an old idea and is no longer on the table.
    8vf24h7y7lio.jpg
    What we do know, I believe, is that if a corrupted player fights bounty hunters, they don't risk gaining more corruption and the combat penalties that come about from being corrupted won't apply either. They do want to give the corrupted person a fighting chance.

The philosophical question, though, is whether that is done for the benefit of the corrupted person, or for the benefit of the bounty hunters? Because if you have a heavily corrupted person who can barely fight, it's probably not a lot of fun to hunt that person down.

Hhak63P.png
  • I am just happy to see they are being thorough with the idea and listening to the players to an extent. I mean if I had to do 100 hr quest line for the dark religion so that I take 25% less corruption per PK I would invest the time. Mostly because people talk so much trash and sometimes the best response is a nice bitch slap lol But I'm not trying to lose 30% of my characters power over it either. And everyone one knows the biggest shit talkers are the ones who stay having green names over their head never purple.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Optics2134 wrote: »
    I am just happy to see they are being thorough with the idea and listening to the players to an extent. I mean if I had to do 100 hr quest line for the dark religion so that I take 25% less corruption per PK I would invest the time. Mostly because people talk so much trash and sometimes the best response is a nice bitch slap lol But I'm not trying to lose 30% of my characters power over it either. And everyone one knows the biggest shit talkers are the ones who stay having green names over their head never purple.

There is no such quest.
    I am just happy to see they are being thorough with the idea and listening to the players to an extent. I mean if I had to do 100 hr quest line for the dark religion so that I take 25% less corruption per PK I would invest the time. Mostly because people talk so much trash and sometimes the best response is a nice bitch slap lol But I'm not trying to lose 30% of my characters power over it either. And everyone one knows the biggest shit talkers are the ones who stay having green names over their head never purple.

There is no such quest.

Optics2134 knows this; this is a reference to the proposed quest from their original post starting this thread.

Hhak63P.png
  • It will be a wait and see situation on how they play out the religion quest lines and rewards.

edited January 2022
    Not everything has to be fun. Rules are there for reasons. And that's the PK system.
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's not a gameplay content.
    It's an open world PvP system to prevent killing sprees.

Feel free to roleplay as you like.
    Dont expect changes to the system.

Saying "don't expect changes to the system" is pretty silly. We watched them make MASSIVE combat changes in Alpha 1 and the switch to UE5 is quite large. The world would be be a joke if I would be penalized for PvPing a max level while at max level. A game revolving around the combat against other players....that limits how much combat you get to participate in is kinda shitty. By kinda I mean a lot.
    edited January 2022
    It's a control system. Not a fun, faction mechanic. Dont expect that to change.
  • Khronus wrote: »

Saying "don't expect changes to the system" is pretty silly. We watched them make MASSIVE combat changes in Alpha 1 and the switch to UE5 is quite large. The world would be be a joke if I would be penalized for PvPing a max level while at max level. A game revolving around the combat against other players....that limits how much combat you get to participate in is kinda shitty. By kinda I mean a lot.

I'm in agreement that evenly match combat should have no penalties. I don't care if your flagged purple or not.
    I am all for punishing people who are killing people 10 lvls lower then them thats all fine. But being punished for pushing someone off a rich resource point just because they don't want to flag is crap.
    Khronus wrote: »

I'm in agreement that evenly match combat should have no penalties. I don't care if your flagged purple or not.
    I am all for punishing people who are killing people 10 lvls lower then them thats all fine. But being punished for pushing someone off a rich resource point just because they don't want to flag is crap.

Deal with it.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would argue that it is not crap, Optics. It is a valid strategy.

For example, If I am playing a cleric (weak PvP) and want to mine that resource rich spot. If you won't share it with me, I can either PvP you and lose, thus not getting to mine the spot, or...Let you kill me and go red, and call others to hunt you down for your gear while I return and mine the spot. I might have the Bounty Hunter waiting around the bend in the road for you to go red.

If the goal is mining the spot, I win. Sure, I pay some negative experience, but I pay some either way when I die, right? I might feel like I won because I get the resources and the satisfaction that you got killed (which as a cleric I could not accomplish in PvP). Plus, if you drop some really rich stuff, the Bounty Hunter might share some value with me for calling them in on you.

So, it is a valid strategy to outsmart you.

Fortunately for the rest of us your opinion is part of a small minority, and in opposition to the design goals of this game.

Hhak63P.png
  • I've suggested in another post I made to allow open seas to be unaffected by corruption. Allowing for The ocean to be more dangerous and a fun zone for PvP and potential lots of rewards due to the risks.
    GJjUGHx.gif
    edited January 2022
    Dolyem wrote: »
    I've suggested in another post I made to allow open seas to be unaffected by corruption. Allowing for The ocean to be more dangerous and a fun zone for PvP and potential lots of rewards due to the risks.

I like that. But what about respawn and ship/mount?
    With the flagging system these are protected to some extent. Maybe start a new topic.

The main reason that I like the open seas is because I find it hard to see how they will achieve weapon mounting, ship destruction without complications related to flag/pk.
    Dolyem wrote: »
    I've suggested in another post I made to allow open seas to be unaffected by corruption. Allowing for The ocean to be more dangerous and a fun zone for PvP and potential lots of rewards due to the risks.

We will have areas that flag everyone when they go into them; they're basically free-for-all battlegrounds. I kind of dig the idea of having something like that in parts of the sea. It fits with the idea that you're in a "no man's land". Sort of like international waters in the real world. And it would support pirate roleplaying well.

As a player who is bringing goods somewhere across the sea, you then have a choice of circumnavigating that part of the sea or risking it to deliver your goods faster.

Hhak63P.png
  • Dolyem wrote: »

I like that. But what about respawn and ship/mount?
    With the flagging system these are protected to some extent. Maybe start a new topic.

The main reason that I like the open seas is because I find it hard to see how they will achieve weapon mounting, ship destruction without complications related to flag/pk.

Respawns could be the shore. Doesnt have to be convenient. Ships/mounts should be killable I am assuming
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Optics2134 wrote: »

What you are also arguing is that people need to play like you want to play. Some people may not want to PVP at all. Some people may entirely wish to be artisans and just sell their wares in town. Now, they can hire people to guard them. They could also agree to pay you a ransom of the materials to not attack them. That happened in Eve Online when a player was about to die you could ask to pay money to not have your ship blown up.

Also, just because we are max level doesn't necessarily mean we are even players. Even if we are both the same class you might have better gear than me. Let's reference World of Warcraft. In classic, I could be level 60 and have tier 1 armor. You could be a better raider and have tier 3 armor. You would clearly beat me in a fight because the stats and the set bonus gave you a huge power advantage. However, we are both level 60. You said that you didn't like it when a person 10 levels higher attacked a lower player, but there is no way to provide "fair fights" in the game. You are free to attack whomever you wish, simply understand that the corruption system is present as a way to lessen griefing. We still don't know how it will be implemented. There will still be a lot of PVP in the game with node wars, sieges, arena, and dueling. There are two choices for players. Accept the design choices of AOC and play the game. Become filthy rich and make your own game the way you like it.
  • Boanerge

I have played a TON of mmo rpgs over the years. Mostly throwing out ideas that maybe the Devs can run with or dig into in future content. I mean they may already have these things in the game. We know very little really about the systems within the Major systems. I will be playing AoC for sure. What they built already is far above anything else out there.

I think it was the last interview Steven did he touched a little more on how the corruption works. From what I understood Corruption lvls will increase the more you PK and the penalty for PK is gauged based on the gap between players power lvl. This I am totally on board with. Ganking is stupid AF

I think you are on to something with the bodyguard thing though. How cool would it be to have a way to register as a bodyguard within the bounty hunter system? being proactive not just purely reactive to the pk threat. Give people the chance to be that legendary hero. The top dog Sherriff on the server. Make names for themselves.

Something like, a bodyguard while hired and within x distance from their Boss receives 5% of the materials gathered as items automatically and a reasonable fee in a gold/hr contract. Have it work both ways though? The boss receives 5% of loot dropped by players killed by the bodyguard.
    Some type of contractual agreement that could be adjusted by a slider that both parties sign "clicks' YES "to agree to these terms"

Something like this could go a LONG way... Have npcs shouting in towns!!! "Tired of thieves? Hire the South shore bounty hunter's guild and get protection for 100g /hr!" Prices based on bounty hunters rank with in the BH guild. Successful missions and experience and to gain BH ranks...
    You could hire Bodyguards to be part of a caravan guard or town guard when sieged. Basically, install a mercenary system into the game. Allow none pvp groups or towns to use their hard-earned wealth to protect their interests buy hiring players that accel in the battle aspect of the game. Form what I know so far, I am pretty sure in some avenue these concepts have been implemented.

People would get into that shit!!!

A way for pvpers to be more involved in the crafting community as well.