Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

I hope AoC devs are playing New World so they can learn what not to do when creating an MMO.

Quick that game after about 200 hrs. What a huge disappointment from a game that had potential.

The problem as I see it was that they changed their vision of pvp focused game to pve only months before launch. And they must have had to throw it together to make their already late launch. The game that they put out has effectively zero pvp and barely half-assed pve. What a complete dumpster-fire of a game.

Please AoC learn from their mistakes.

Comments

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    200 hours?
    I logged out bored after an hour or so.
    All the abilities (all 3 of them you can slide in the hot bar...) look like left click attacks.

An mmo isnt a crafting gathering simulation, nor it is a singleplayer story to do quests all day long.
    Why did you wait 200h to dump it?

I am getting tired of all these NW topics. Did yall think that all the devs in the world were waiting for NW in order to learn what to do and what not to do?
    Give it a rest... no more NW topics. It's a 1 month old game without any depth. No lessons to be learned what so ever....
  • Firstly, this is my first post on the AoC forum, so didn't know there was a lot of NW posts, and I wasn't about to search so get over it. Consider me a NW defector looking for a better game. I have a feeling there will be many more coming over to AoC from NW.

Secondly, NW had huge potential to be a really great game. It could have been a great pvp sandbox. Something like a Dark Souls combat style, highly skill-based pvp sandbox specifically. If you think 3 abilities are too few then you do not understand this type of combat system, which has a higher skill cap than your typical wow type tab-targeted system. I hope AoC realizes this and switches to action combat over tab target at some point.
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    An mmo isnt a crafting gathering simulation.

Not every mmo is, but Ashes sold itself as an mmo that will have 'crafting gather simulation.' Just because it is not your content does not mean it is not mmo content.

If Ashes has bad crafting and gathering it will suffer. If it fails to learn the good and bad from it's peers it will miss obvious opportunities and make similar mistakes.

All these people are reacting to NW failures you yourself felt negatively towards and want a better future. I am sure you can sympathize. Is it really so strange to you to make a thread out of such emotions?
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hey @TheBlackSky
    Firstly, Welcome to the forums!

To be more specific, what kind of pvp were you hoping for in NW, and at what point did you realize it wasn't what you liked?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • 200 hours?
    All the abilities (all 3 of them you can slide in the hot bar...) look like left click attacks.

An mmo isnt a crafting gathering simulation, nor it is a singleplayer story to do quests all day long.

I am getting tired of all these NW topics. Did yall think that all the devs in the world were waiting for NW in order to learn what to do and what not to do?
    Give it a rest... no more NW topics. It's a 1 month old game without any depth. No lessons to be learned what so ever....

Good way to make people welcome, and I think you will find crafting will play a very big part of this game according to what has been proposed.

Tip: you don.t have to read these topics you can simply ignore them if they bother you so much m8.
  • RamirezRamirez Member
    edited October 2021
    200 hours?

I don t know either if you know aoc, but gathering and crafting will have more impact then in new world, since mobs almost dont drop gears and weapons , the only difference is that you can fight for your resources isntead of that new world flagg crap system
    I am waiting for the rest to say "I dont know if you knew this, but Ashes will have story quests".
    Please do tell me more
  • Honestly, I think an essential difference between IS and AGS, is that IS is building Ashes as a game they actually want to play for ten years, not a game to maximize satisfaction for the broadest customer segment to capture a revenue stream.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Secondly, NW had huge potential to be a really great game.
    It did a year or so ago.

Those paying actual attention and not just being fanbois realized the game was going to be complete trash a long time ago - even before the changes made to PvP.

There was never a time when New World was a cohesive game.
  • I saw the warning signs on the wall, repetitive adn boring quests, not much to do at end game, nice crafting that really has no purpose. Been there, done that. There are a lot more problems than what I expected tho, pricing issues, economy problems, and the server lag issues too.
  • DarknezzzDarknezzz Member
    edited October 2021
    That's what happens when dev's have the idea that ''the game has to reach all the audiences''.
    They fucked with many pvp systems to attract the pve players. The result is a game with a shitty pvp and a half-assed pve. They will lose the 2 audiences.

It won't happen to ashes. Steven is saying ''that game MAY NOT BE for you'' for the last 3 years... They will be loyal to their original ideas, even because they dont have to please investors and shit like that....
  • maouw wrote: »
    Hey @TheBlackSky
    Firstly, Welcome to the forums!

To be more specific, what kind of pvp were you hoping for in NW, and at what point did you realize it wasn't what you liked?

I know it was not for me but if u allow me ... i guess that a faction based game has to have a good world pvp. They completely killed it.
  • Darknezzz wrote: »

It won't happen to ashes. Steven is saying ''that game MAY NOT BE for you'' for the last 3 years... They will be loyal to their original ideas, even because they dont have to please investors and shit like that....

Well Steven had better hope that it is for the majority, or else it may turn out to be a short lived empty world..
  • I surely hope that AoC devs don't play NW. They are busy building AoC...

And if Ashes is anything like some of the vids I have seen from the A1, I will surely spend more time in that game than in NW. :) Which is not a great achievement per se, but still...
  • The Intrepid staff seem to be big gamers, so it's likely that at least some of them will be playing it. And learning from any successes and mistakes. Mwahahahaha.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Grimfaldra wrote: »
    I surely hope that AoC devs don't play NW. They are busy building AoC...

I doubt they'd be playing it at work...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If I was Steven I'd be paying someone to play it and write a full report on the good, bad and ugly. New World has already had things happen that would kill Ashes. Things that just can't happen in a persistent, competitive game.
  • It's a 1 month old game without any depth. No lessons to be learned what so ever....

Ah yes my favorite, talking in absolutes. NW obviously does some things correctly. I agree we don't have to demand intrepid to copy X,Y,Z mechanic/idea, but your comment seems a bit emotion-driven.

Xerheart wrote: »
    It's a 1 month old game without any depth. No lessons to be learned what so ever....

Ah yes my favorite, talking in absolutes. NW obviously does some things correctly. I agree we don't have to demand intrepid to copy X,Y,Z mechanic/idea, but your comment seems a bit emotion-driven.

Well... since I am looking for a game to play tell me what can I do in NW that will be fun?
    Do you like left clicking George? Lots of left clicking. My left click finger literally seized up at one point, was just done for the day.
  • Xerheart wrote: »
    It's a 1 month old game without any depth. No lessons to be learned what so ever....

Well... since I am looking for a game to play tell me what can I do in NW that will be fun?

I think you missing the point. There are plenty of things to take from other games, that are not just direct gameplay loops. Artistic choices, UI designs, animations, sound design, world design.

For example: I think gathering professions and professions in NW, in general, are flawed because of poor balancing and incentives in the broad scope of the game. But some great things that intrepid could take from it if they wanted/things I think AGS designed well are:

- Logging and Mining animations and sound fx when performing these actions are amazing (The echo of a pick hitting a rock sounded great, even when I wasn't mining, and was super cool to hear ringing out as I explored the world.
    - The design of the different types of herbs was great, the crackling lightning herb, the animations of the flame spouting out from the fire herb, etc. Were super cool and more interesting then just here is a flower with red petals vs a flower with purple petals.
    - Stats on gear/choice in stats in general that affected gathering. So if I really wanted to feel like a herbalist or logger, I could fully deck out my character in that type of gear.

I only have like 60 hours in NW,, however I think it feels flat and in general, is not a very good game. But that doesn't mean I can't recognize areas where I think they did excel.
    edited November 2021
    Do you know how many games have done logging and mining right....?
    Do you know how many games have gear for gathering professions...?

Why is everybody making posts about a game born yesterday, as if without NW coming out just now, the AoC devs wouldnt know how to build gathering systems.

I asked you to give me reasons that make NW fun; in your last sentence you said the game feels flat, I said shallow, and all you talked about was gathering.

I dont have to write paragraphs about how lame a game is in order to avoid "talking in absolutes" because all you have to say is "NW" and "gathering", and that sums it up.

Many games have done gathering, no mmorpg has failed as much as NW regarding classes, combat, weapons and skills hotbar.

As for its art.... it looks like a PS2 game. Char creation? Eso has a better char creation than NW and all the characters look the same.

So yeah, NW is crap, there is nothing new or unique in it to use as reference, why do people keep making NW posts?

Go play with the frost glove, sword and shield 3 skill hotbar mmorpg, without any classes (which is the core of mmos) and stop telling me about its gathering as if what you get out of it is useful for anything more than RP, since the market is flooded with stacks of cheap produce.
    Areas they excel... they havent done anything new that hasnt been done alrdy.
    First time I've ever tried to see if there was a way I could like a post more than once.
    I agree with Xer though, there's nothing wrong with looking at other games and learning from them. In the case of NW, I don't think there's much to learn about what to do, but plenty about what not to do.
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited November 2021
    Areas they excel... they havent done anything new that hasnt been done alrdy.

Well you could say its my lack of experience with a TON of variety games, but as far as mmos go New world had some of the best sound design I have ever seen. The distant shots, mining, and screams of battle were a nice touch.

Thats all I can really say they "excelled" at though.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No MMO "Excels" better than EVE Online.

That game is like 90% spreadsheets.

Hhak63P.png
  • I might be in the minority, and that's OK, but I enjoy New World. It has plenty of flaws, sure. There's a lack of PvE, there's a lot of copy & paste, and several game-breaking bugs (so much so they have disabled all trading at the moment).

But it still has a lot that I find very satisfying.

Someone above said it looks like a PS2 game. I think that's ludicrous. It looks amazing IMO, even on low settings. I've taken more atmospheric screenshots in NW than I have in any MMO I've played before. I particularly like the rain in Mourningdale. Of course, that's not unique, but it's not credible to dismiss it as merely PS2 level.

The sound design is fantastic. The music, the incidental effects and ambient sound. They have a great, realistic quality to them that really help to place me in the world.

Despite the "shallow" nature of it, I love the combat - and actually, I find only having 6 skills more accessible than having 25 abilities. Certainly easier to remember what they are and when to use them. 🤣 It has some flaws and problems related to animation cancelling, and abilities and perks not working as intended. Armour is too strong, and resilience on faction gear is working on the wrong damage type. But outside of those considerations, I find it more visceral and engaging than typical tab-targeted combat. Again, not new or unique, but satisfying.

And I really like the gathering in New World. Primarily the fact that I can gather anything. I don't have to spec into mining and be unable to chop a tree down. I can skin everything I kill, and still pick herbs.

I like that I can use any weapons. So often in MMORPGs I've felt compartmentalised by my character. I mostly play healers, but sometimes I want to do other things. Levelling alts is a tedious business, so the fact I can take my life staff and swap it out for a fire staff, spear, bow or sword and shield is very welcome. Ideally, I'd be able to more readily redistribute stats and gear depending on the role I'm playing, but it's a lot better than being locked into a role.

I'm not a New World fanboy. It has many flaws, and even as a non-hardcore player I've hit the level cap only to be met with a tedious Gear Score watermark grind. I have my hopes set on AoC (no, not that AoC - I made that mistake already) as a long term home, but it's worth taking note of the things New World is doing well.
  • Xerheart wrote: »

I can say the gathering, was the first game i put way to much hours in gathering, despite crafting and economy being a shit, gathering feeling sound/visual is pleasant...

I enjoy the combat sadly isn´t depth enough and is really low the amount of skills you can chose and use, but the combat almost feels like you are playing an 3ºperson adventure game

Climbing (many mmorpgs miss this)

Visuals and atmosphere in general is the best looking mmorpg , yes we have black desert to, sadly to much copy past, they just show they true potential in last 3 areas .

Now what this devs fail is in mmoprg knowledge, i doubt some of theme ever played one or if they just played themeparks
    Nobody would play NW if BDO wasnt p2w.