Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Design Philosophy

Swifty00Swifty00 Member
edited November 2021 in General Discussion
I had this thought when commenting on a YouTube video about Ashes, and I thought it was worth sharing here.

I think a large number of MMOs since WoW have had a hard time finding a good balance between pleasing the hard-core and streaming players, and the probably greater number of time-constrained more casual players. Even WoW as it evolved struggled and the forums became a virtual battlefield between the two.

I drew a parallel between MMOs and the world of sport. And this point centers on Game Theory.

A sport like tennis will never please both groups. Here is a game played in an environment that is almost exactly the same, except for cosmetics. And what one player does has a direct impact on how well another player does. If one player hits the ball very hard, it is going to directly detract from the other player, or players in doubles, being able to score points, or even hit the ball.

A sport like golf however, allows the players to compete against each other without their gameplay directly influencing the other. The spoils still go to the winner, but the loser is still able to score freely, and essentially enjoy his game unmolested. And there is an unlimited variety of environments that both can share.

In order to solve this design philosophy problem, Ashes needs to bear in mind creating "Golf" more than "Tennis". It isn't going to be possible to do it entirely. The nature of combat is virtually all tennis. But I am not really talking about the gameplay. I'm talking more about the reward structure.

In New World, cities can be captured by better players. Ownership of a settlement is really the ultimate reward in the game. To let one group of players deny another group of players the major objective of the game, permanently, and leave the other players with zero, is all tennis. For well over half the players of the game, their involvement is totally futile, and because AOE doesn't stack, and battles therefore take place between dogpiles, often irrelevant. The combat may as well be 10v10.

I think Ashes understands this. PvP is merely to test yourself and see how you rank competitively against other players. The main game IS the PvE content, and your amassed wealth and standing in the community a measure of that, PvP should be a lot of fun, and have its rewards, but those rewards should not be taken away from another player, or stop a player from playing the game, in a non-competitive way, because ultimately it will drive players away.

There is one exception to this and that is gambling. If you choose to opt in, then you can risk a certain amount to win a certain amount. Make the risk/reward sufficient then people will opt in. many games, including golf, handicap stronger players as an incentive for weaker players to compete. Again previous MMOs have done this very poorly.

Anyway I think the easiest way to sum up and deal with TLDR; is just to reiterate, more golf, less tennis!

Comments

• Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    If you don't want other players to be able to affect your gameplay then I think you're following the wrong game. The entire point of Ashes is that PvP is the thing that changes the world. It causes nodes to rise and fall which in turn affects the dungeons and raids and other PvE content that spawns in the world. Players will compete with other players to take control of the 5 Castles in the world which give the guilds that own those Castles major benefits.

Steven is a fan of MMOs like ArcheAge and Lineage 2 where PvP and competition is a driving force of the world. It seems to me like you just want a game like WoW or FF14 where players are basically disconnected from each other and cannot have an effect on anyone else.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited November 2021
    Are you aware of the many mmos out there that people with constricted time play?

You are very wrong that the mmo main dish is pve.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    WoW fell from being an MMo a long time ago. It is now a single player game with other people on the field(golf). AOC is working to get back to an MMO. Many people on the field doing their own thing with in the rule set laid out.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Design_pillars
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The "golf" playstyle works for players who want to play the "lone wolf" archetype.
    The problem is that if you prescribe this playstyle to the entire playerbase, you get instanced content, reduction in player-to-player friction, players soloing bosses, reduction in social interaction.

basically it runs backwards against the MMO of MMORPG
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    ButtercupCloverButtercupClover Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I will agree that using the golf analogy is bad. Golf isn't a game that's played against other people, it's played against yourself. Golf is speed runners trying to best their previous run time and comparing it to other people's times, not people playing in an MMO.

I understand the goal of wanting to feel like you contribute even though there's a powerhouse that's unstoppable, that's why there are many different nodes of varying sizes. Pick the area you feel you can contribute the most or battles you feel you can make an impact in. Join a guild that needs more of what you want to do, such as crafting or a ship captain to ferry people across the sea. An MMO isn't meant to be "won" but rather experienced. When people talk fondly of WoW or other games they think about the times they enjoyed it and not the times they captured a city and made sure there would be no contest.
  • Options
    Just FYI, in golf you're playing against the course.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    This game is tenis. Go play golf. Dont try to change tenis
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm more of a badminton person really
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ashes is going to be an extremely competitive open world game where cooperative gameplay is unavoidable to progress. Risk vs reward is a major design focus. If you don't like these things, then you don't like Ashes. That is okay, there are many other games out there.

TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited November 2021
    This game is tenis. Go play golf. Dont try to change tenis

You literally changed tennis to tenis. 😆

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Oh well. Gotta set the trends
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Oh well. Gotta set the trends

Or just make a game people want to play and not make a crash grab and shun fans. Both work really
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace