Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ashes of Creation on Linux/Proton Compatibility Layer support

Comments

• Options
    BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've asked for in the past, and will ask again....
    Intrepid, you don't have to support linux like you do your windows releases, but please don't actively block us by using deeply intrusive anticheats which we cant use proton to overcome. We can fend for ourselves a bit.
    I'm seeing some stats being thrown about above and I wonder how true those are.
    1) the talk about 0.1% of players generating 10% of tickets i think is disingenuous. Without knowing the nature of the tickets, its hard to say "its the fault of linux". Remember who the type of people are that main run linux... mostly technical people who would be more likely to pro-actively submit a bug report to see a product they support get better. Probably submit higher quality bug reports too.
    2) I saw another stat about how linux is a tiny sliver of the desktop market which could be true, but is that restricting the scope to the type of people who would play online video games?

FYI, I can play EVE online on proton fine. It's just a shame at how the devs are behaving over the last few years...
    Proof you can not block linux and still run an MMO.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Botagar wrote: »
    Intrepid, you don't have to support linux like you do your windows releases, but please don't actively block us by using deeply intrusive anticheats which we cant use proton to overcome.
    This is a reasonable and appropriate request that - for what it's worth - I fully support.
  • Options
    VelkynVelkyn Member
    The only reason I use Windows is for better performance in gaming. That's it. My 'main' nvme drive is Linux which I use everything else for. I am fine with the Dev's focusing their energies on getting AoC out the door (initially) for Windows only. However, after release, I would be happier than a pig in mud if it would run natively on GNU Linux at a later date. For what it's worth, I prefer an Arch-based distro for tinkering/learning and a Debian-based distro for stability (I do prefer the APT package manager over Pacman though). I tend to shy away from Fedora/Red Hat -- just my personal preference.
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    With the market numbers in the thread, i would almost say you need to be asking more players to switch to Linux instead of asking them to develop for it. Once the people are their they would obviously take their product there as well
  • Options
    RevengeRomanRevengeRoman Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm not asking them to develop for it. Just to make their Anti-Cheat software not ban Linux users.

If they use either of the largest most used Anti Cheats then it's as simple as a phone call as far as I have found.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Others have done a good job of answering this, but I'll also just make a statement here for you as well!

We are always looking at the latest technology to see what would make sense for our team to implement! That's how we ended up converting to UE5, after all! :)

However, our plan is to support just Windows at this moment. That is unlikely to change from now to release.

Steven and Margaret talked about this during the December Development Livestream which you can find timestamped here :)

I hope this helps ^_^

You don't have to support Linux in order to support Linux. You just have to enable it for EAC. There is no development time needed.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    I will be very sad if I can't get it to work on my beautiful Manjaro with proton atleast.
  • Options
    Uural wrote: »
    I will be very sad if I can't get it to work on my beautiful Manjaro with proton atleast.

So far all my games run, even eso, guild wars and fallout 76. Am not going back to windows for a game. I can play not supported games for fine, at least the ones that don't ban you xD. I hope aoc will work too
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited February 2023

So far all my games run, even eso, guild wars and fallout 76. Am not going back to windows for a game. I can play not supported games for fine, at least the ones that don't ban you xD. I hope aoc will work too

Maybe after Ashes releases, @Uural.

There just isn’t enough playerbase on Linux to justify it right now … hopefully you understand that.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2023

Maybe after Ashes releases, @Uural.

There just isn’t enough playerbase on Linux to justify it right now … hopefully you understand that.

It's important to understand that for many of us Linux users, this is a matter of Intrepid clicking one box when configuring EAC. We can normally handle the rest.

If you look at these forums, and the frequency of this question, and the broad support it tends to receive from Linux users present and interested, there are absolutely enough Linux players to justify that 10 minute investment.

The biggest thing Linux users need is simply to not be BANNED when we run the Windows build on our Linux PCs. A Linux-native build would be spectacular, but there probably isn't enough demand to warrant that. But simply not automatically banning Linux users? There absolutely is. And that's all we usually need.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    SongRune wrote: »
    If you look at these forums, and the frequency of this question, and the broad support it tends to receive from Linux users present and interested, there are absolutely enough Linux players to justify that 10 minute investment.

10 minutes?

Sounds like a slam dunk.

What piece of information could Intrepid possibly be missing that prevents this green light??
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    SongRune wrote: »

10 minutes?

Sounds like a slam dunk.

What piece of information could Intrepid possibly be missing that prevents this green light??

Probably the fact Linux os can be tailored to run other scripts.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    After a very small amount of looking in to this after the last time this thread was active, it seems to me that Intrepid basically have the choice between trying to make it hard to cheat in Ashes (note; not impossible) while not allowing Linux players, or making it dead easy to cheat in Ashes, but allow Linux users.

It isnt *quite* this simple, but it does essentially come down to the above choice.
  • Options
    I have just finished reading the whole thread.
    I'm impressed with how deeply rooted the myths around Linux are.
    "Linux users are all hackers, it's well known"
    "They're all cheaters, it's well known"
    "Linux is only 1% of the market, it's well known"
    This last statement always makes me smile. A 1% statistic on an OS that is freely downloaded and installed and has no marker internally apart from firefox or Chrome that can't really tell the difference between android or a PC.
    On sales, then? Such a good joke.

For a very long time now, Linux users have given up on the idea of having native game support, despite the fact that more and more developers are cross compiling, mainly the Germans. This is why the thread topic is "Linux EAC support" and not "Aoc Linux support". Which some here don't seem to have understood exactly.
    EAC support which only consists of adding the linux library to the EAC directories and does exactly the same job as the Windows library, is not opening the door to every cheater on the planet for the simple reason that all cheaters are on Windows and use Windows software or scripts.
    Do you really think that cheaters on Windows will suddenly migrate to Linux to do their cheating?
    Very strange world that yours.

By the way, people who use Windows don't use it by choice, but only because that's what comes with the computer they buy and Microsoft does a violent marketing to keep it that way, and among developers too. Linux users chose to use it.

In conclusion, all Linux users are demanding is that they not be kicked out just for using Linux. That's all.

(Thanks to DeepL for their help with the translation)
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I merely meant no two Linux operating systems are alike because you can tailor the os much further than windows. You can take the source files and create wholistic and differential subsets.

Furthermore, there are aspects of the process that assist 'cheaters'. You can complain about the 'myths' and all. I imagine you might get eac support but the game runs on Windows right now. It's up to the devs really.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    wildtruc wrote: »

Do you really think that cheaters on Windows will suddenly migrate to Linux to do their cheating?
    I wouldnt assume all would, but some will.

Do you assume none would?

I mean, the debate isnt wether it would make cheating easier or not, because we both know it would. The question is "how many people would take advantage of that?".

Without EAC support for Linux, the answer is zero. With EAC support for Linux, the answer is not zero.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Only have to say, 3 million Steam Decks sold and growing. This could be a real opportunity.
  • Options
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    Only have to say, 3 million Steam Decks sold and growing. This could be a real opportunity.

I don't really see steam decks as being great for MMO's.

Everyone I know that has one has a gaming PC, and using their steam decks for gaming while out. The thing there is, you dont have a great internet connect most of the time, and so probably dont want to be playing a PvP based MMO.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

Everyone I know that has one has a gaming PC, and using their steam decks for gaming while out. The thing there is, you dont have a great internet connect most of the time, and so probably dont want to be playing a PvP based MMO.

I use my steam deck to MMO all the time. Its great!!!! On the go I tether it too my phone and do crafting while I wait for my wife when she is in a store. Linux gaming has grown allot over the past 2 years because of steam deck. Many are building gaming PC's using Steam OS as well. I know I am not the only one, as there are many guides to get WoW, ESO and the like running on Steam Decks. Its Epic.
  • Options

I use my steam deck to MMO all the time. Its great!!!! On the go I tether it too my phone and do crafting while I wait for my wife when she is in a store. Linux gaming has grown allot over the past 2 years because of steam deck. Many are building gaming PC's using Steam OS as well. I know I am not the only one, as there are many guides to get WoW, ESO and the like running on Steam Decks. Its Epic.

I didn't know that, that's interesting, for sure something to add to the watchlist
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »

I didn't know that, that's interesting, for sure something to add to the watchlist

Its not even needed anymore to make a Linux version of the game but just add tweaks to the game and help it run with proton.
  • Options

For crafting I could see it, but not for general play.

I wouldnt call that a win, nor would I call it "epic".
  • Options
    edited April 2023

I also wouldn’t want to be doing any competitive PvX content on SteamDeck (pretty much anywhere there’s risk of PvP) … which for Ashes is the vast majority of the game’s content.
  • Options

One mans lame is another persons epic. Some of the best MMO time has been spent crafting, gathering and grinding NPCs while watching a movie with my wife. Zen gaming time is epic.
  • Options

One mans lame is another persons epic. Some of the best MMO time has been spent crafting, gathering and grinding NPCs while watching a movie with my wife. Zen gaming time is epic.

Yeah, in some games for sure.

Try that zen gaming grinding NPC's in Ashes and see how long that zen state lasts for.

Keep in mind, I am specifically saying that the Steam Deck wont be used that much specifically for Ashes, for the reasons outlined above - I am not talking about MMO's in general.
  • Options
    peksipeksi Member
    Definitely prefer Linux over Windows. Please make it work with SteamOS / Proton.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You will get it when they release the Crossbow Proton Pack with Potion Client Launcher.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    You will get it when they release the Crossbow Proton Pack with Potion Client Launcher.

*** hears a faint Jabba the Hutt maniacal laugh in the background ***
  • Options

Try that zen gaming grinding NPC's in Ashes and see how long that zen state lasts for.

Keep in mind, I am specifically saying that the Steam Deck wont be used that much specifically for Ashes, for the reasons outlined above - I am not talking about MMO's in general.

I think your wrong but that's what forums are for. This will not be my first PvP MMO. I'm used to dealing with random PvP in any form it comes. I know exactly what I'm asking for. I'm also 100% know what Ashes is. I'm an OG backer and been following the game closely. Again, I know what I am asking for. Peace out :)
  • Options

I think your wrong but that's what forums are for. This will not be my first PvP MMO. I'm used to dealing with random PvP in any form it comes. I know exactly what I'm asking for. I'm also 100% know what Ashes is. I'm an OG backer and been following the game closely. Again, I know what I am asking for. Peace out :)
    Right, so you've spent the last few posts talking about crafting in MMO's on your steam deck, and when it is pointed out that PvP in Ashes is unavoidable, all of a sudden you're like "well of course I PvP on my steam deck as well!".

Sure bud, no doubt you just forgot to mention it before now.