Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Weapon types that feel misplaced. Wands and Potion Launchers.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Someone got killed by a mage with just want auto attacks... That's how this sh*t sounds. Lore and what is and what isn't appropriate for the game, I think is up to what Steven and the designers want it to be.

They are not making a copy of someone else's mythos and lore, they are not making a game based on the lore of another preexisting franchise. It's what they make it out to be.

If throwing boiled potatoes is a weapon regularly employed by inhabitants of Verra, then it's their right to make it happen. And actually, that would be a funny weapon to use.
  • Options
    giphy.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Boanergese wrote: »
    maouw wrote: »
    JustVine wrote: »
    Kinda surprised Harry Potter didn't get brought up as an example of wands in pop culture. It's also where we have a good example of light, medium and heavy wand attacks in cinematography. You can make wands a little more technical than what we saw in Alpha 1.

I was debating whether I should make a thread specifically addressing the wand's rigging.
    It's being wielded like a tennis racket.
    It needs to be wielded like a badminton racket. (it's all in the wrist)

The Harry Potter movies put a lot of thought and talent into how wand combat should look and it paid off.
    I think it's at least good source material.

Yes, but you also had to clearly enunciate your words as you were casting the spell. It wasn't simply the flick and swoosh motion.

Levi-O-sa. Not Levio-SA.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Squeezy wrote: »
    TLDR: Wands seem misplaced in the world of Ashes of Creation because there are no links between Tolkien-Like fantasy and "Harry Potter Style" wands. Please read the whole post for a more sound argument and let me know how you feel about wands in Ashes.

I was watching the Unreal Engine 5 reveal which looked really promising overall. I'm very happy with the new lighting systems and how many potential textures have. I also appreciated the locomotion improvements which made the game feel more immersive, even if I was just watching.

I also noticed Steven's wand. I know that there are a lot of weapon types coming up in Ashes of Creation, which I think overall is great. However, the wand seemed misplaced with the rest of the gorgeous snowy biome. So I took a look at all of the potential weapon types that Ashes of Creation will have.

744705e163b12d6addfc2716117ff1aa.png

Maybe it's just my point of view, but hear me out. Ashes seem to follow a classic, Tolkien-Like, fantasy world. Dwarves, Elves, Humans, Orcs. Obviously, things aren't one for one because this isn't a LOTR IP, but from the weapon list here, potion launchers and wands feel misplaced. Now I can't make a REALLY make a good argument on why wands feel wrong, it's more of a feeling, but I will try my best.

I won't focus on the potion launcher very much because the Intrepid Team is tentative about putting it into the game, and rightfully so.

Wands, on the other hand, we have all seen in Alpha 1 and of course in the Unreal Engine 5 migration reveal.
    In fantasy, wands appear very rarely. Most famously there is of course the Harry Potter series which is completely separate from standard high fantasy. Historically, a quick search says that the first mention of wands was in Homer's Odyssey and Illiad. Some gods used them as well as a witch named Cerce who turned Odysseus's men into pigs. There was also some writing of wand usage in old grimoires like The Oathbound Book of Honorius and The Key of Solomon.

In more modern and pop culture we see several stories with wands in them:
    C.S Lewis' The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
    MGM's - The Wizard of Oz
    Disney's - Pinnochio
    Disney's - Cinderella
    Disney's - Sleeping Beauty
    Blizzard's - World of Warcraft, (Magic Casters, Autofire Weapon)

Now I know, if World of Warcraft did it, why shouldn't Ashes of Creation. I think the reason the wand seems so much more immersion breaking in Ashes is that it is used as an active weapon unlike World of Warcraft where it's just ur right-click, ranged attack. Usually, you would see, Mages, Warlocks, and Priests stand around with their staffs, swords, daggers, books, and orbs and look very very cool. So when Steven is swinging his wand around shooting spells at the flower monsters, it looks a lot more like a Harry Potter game than fantasy or high fantasy.

There just isn't a lot of references in movies, art, and books that link Tolkien-Like fantasy worlds with wands. Maybe if Gandalf had a wand instead of a staff I wouldn't want to write this post, but let me know what you guys think. Am I the only one who thinks that the wands seem like they fit with the other weapons or is it just me? Let me know!

i fully agree with you.
    after seeing the orcs in the past livestream you can see how they resemble trolls in wow + naavi people from avatar BUT i didnt dislike it because i dont care about orcs or any other race that is not elf :D
    wands and potion launchers are INDEED weird !
    they are like i said in another thread, unnecessary and unwanted in a world where you have magic at large.

who would want a musket when you can summon METEORITE ?
    who wants a crossbow/potion launcher when you can enchant your arrows ?
    i personally hate all steampunk/guns/mechanical engineering stuff that they add in high fantasy magical world.
  • Options
    Why have a sword when you can summon a meteor?

Because a sword can do things a spell can't. Just as a wand can. They are different tools for different purposes.

You might as well ask why anyone would be anything but a Mage. It's a bad argument.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Atama wrote: »
    You might as well ask why anyone would be anything but a Mage. It's a bad argument.
    I've been wondering this for years, honestly.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    I've been wondering this for years, honestly.

Haha, touché. B)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    SevarieloneSevarielone Member
    edited January 2022
    The only issue I see with Wands, WHERE IS THE BLUE? Please please please let us choose our favorite colors. I need blue to live, don’t force me to use red or gold all the time /beg.

Also, Wands exist in the modern real world as tools for focusing energy and intention, they’ve been around longer than Tolkien and Dungeons and Dragons…

A balanced potion launcher also sounds awesome if it is designed to be more steam punk than modern weapon design. Ashes strikes me as steampunk-fantasy. Where magic and science intersect with elves and dragons, it’s hard to say what is impossible. Just because it’s a fantasy based game doesn’t mean everyone still relies on candlelight and chamber pots. We have growing crystals and alchemical solutions..

Steampunk fits very well when they’re ready for it..
    The crows seemed to becalling his name, thought Caw.
    - Deep thoughts by Jack Handey
  • Options
    Sevariel wrote: »
    The only issue I see with Wands, WHERE IS THE BLUE? Please please please let us choose our favorite colors. I need blue to live, don’t force me to use red or gold all the time /beg.

I assume there will be blue wands, but you do bring up a good point.

We have dyes in the game, but they only apply to armor (or costumes that cover up the armor). No dyes for weapons. I’m also not seeing where we can use cosmetics on weapons. And racial influence on gear appearance applies to armor, not weapons. So the whole idea of appearance customization seems to exclude weapons entirely.

I have the feeling that we’re going to have to get used to funky-looking weapons that clash with the rest of our appearance. Which is a shame, but if it’s something commonplace then I guess players will just tune it out.

On a positive note, wands are so small that in Alpha 1 I could barely see mine and ignored what it looked like.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

On a positive note, wands are so small that in Alpha 1 I could barely see mine and ignored what it looked like.
    YOU bring up some very good points, weapon customization is important.. but I should’ve been more clear. — I’m worried about the particle effects, the actual wand attacks have all been shown to be red energy blasts and I really hope that there are ways to be a blue-themed caster or rogue.

Blue spell effects / offensive animations will get me to roll a class, even if it’s not the archetype I hoped to play initially.

I’m prayin for the day an mmo grants spell customization (such as warlock fel-fire quest in WoW) or glyphs that alter the color of your abilities.

AoC clerics have some stunning animations in the works, like the light-lasso, but if they’re all gold al the time, I’m not interested. Blue light-lasso…? Down.
    The crows seemed to becalling his name, thought Caw.
    - Deep thoughts by Jack Handey
  • Options

YOU bring up some very good points, weapon customization is important.. but I should’ve been more clear. — I’m worried about the particle effects, the actual wand attacks have all been shown to be red energy blasts and I really hope that there are ways to be a blue-themed caster or rogue.

Blue spell effects / offensive animations will get me to roll a class, even if it’s not the archetype I hoped to play initially.

I’m prayin for the day an mmo grants spell customization (such as warlock fel-fire quest in WoW) or glyphs that alter the color of your abilities.
    Fortunately, this game will have particle effect customization. The Kickstarter even provided some to backers. And now that I'm reminded of them, that confirms that weapon skins are a thing, because the fourth stretch goal from Kickstarter was that "all backers receive unique weapon skins with particle effects". If you didn't back that project, it doesn't do you a lot of good, BUT that does go to show that such things exist. So you might be able to earn something in-game, or eventually buy something as a cosmetic skin.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

Fortunately, this game will have particle effect customization. The Kickstarter even provided some to backers. And now that I'm reminded of them, that confirms that weapon skins are a thing, because the fourth stretch goal from Kickstarter was that "all backers receive unique weapon skins with particle effects". If you didn't back that project, it doesn't do you a lot of good, BUT that does go to show that such things exist. So you might be able to earn something in-game, or eventually buy something as a cosmetic skin.

The kickstarter rewards are why I am convinced that Intrepid will eventually sell class kits that transform the look of a character to a specific theme. An armor set with a few weapons to chose from, and particle effects for abilities all in one pack.

I see no reason why they wouldn't do this once the game is live.