Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Yay/Nay: Whaling in Naval Content?

For the record, I'm *WAY* against whaling in *real life*. It may have fit humanity in the past, but it's an out-dated and un-needed practice in the modern world. Perhaps an exception for some indigenous tribes - but only because they literally use so much of a whale.

In the game, though?

I think it could fit, for the time-period/technological level of Verra. With resettlement, we're not really looking at a highly-industrialized civilization, and the amount of whaling Verra's to-be population would do would realistically be sustainable, and probably culturally appropriate. Whale blubber and caviar sound like appropriate crafting ingredients for things like food processing/crafting. Maybe I'm wrong, though....

Maybe we could just have whale-like creatures and call them something else? Would it be sending the wrong message?

Comments

• Options
    Only if there’s an achievement title with ‘blubber’ in it. I’m totally fine with whaling.

Could lead to interesting content like a giant kraken getting revenge for all the whaling and is now destroying ships and causing tidal waves etc etc. 🤪
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This is a good idea @Tyranthraxus . Like you, I abhor real world whaling, but in the game, yeah. Perhaps like real world 1800's it would require a specialized and rather large ship, custom equipment like harpoons, and a large crew. A harpoon might be a pretty effective weapon against pirates, too.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    This is a really good idea, imo.

Whales could function as a kind of group oriented mob that takes some real effort to kill (an hour or so for a group of 8, perhaps), but when killed can be processed in to meat as a food component, blubber to render in to oil, baleen for making some clothing and maybe fishing line (perhaps just higher quality fishing line), bone for carving, tool making and perhaps even weapon making, ambergris as a potion ingredient, skin for - something, I'm sure.

I like it.
  • Options
    AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think whaling could be a really cool idea, especially if there is added danger of the whales damaging/destroying ships similar to whales in Atlas.
    k2U15J3.png
  • Options
    Would give an added incentive to take to the seas. I can imagine a boat-ful of players keeping their eyes on the horizon, watching for the first sign of a target.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would prefer if they dipped into ancient sea monsters for this one, instead of whales specifically. Firstly because they are way cooler to hunt and they fight back. Secondly, whaling quickly gets political, and it's an easily avoidable controversy by simply exchanging whales for sea monsters.

Let's get some of these guys, Verra style:

E8eDhQO.jpg
    f4uDcVb.jpg
    6rPffio.jpg
    2QByyvT.jpg
    VvQfB9B.jpg
    0pd046e.jpg
    zVVV6Sz.jpg
  • Options
    I back this! Would be nice to have different tiers for the fishing life skill. So basic fishing is your "land-based" fishing, i.e. fresh water or coastal fishing. Then you can have fishing spots only accessible by boats.

Investing or joining bigger fishing boats gives you access to larger/more sophisticated fishing equipment to access larger/different schools.

Ultimately for something like a whale, you could have a size-able fishing boat, maybe even as far as requiring groups where it's somewhat of a Fishing event with a more active involvement.

Another opportunity for pirates or opposition to try and disrupt your deep-sea fishing endeavours for their own gain.
  • Options
    Looking at Nerror's post, mountains look like a smart place to hang out.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    I would prefer if they dipped into ancient sea monsters for this one, instead of whales specifically. Firstly because they are way cooler to hunt and they fight back. Secondly, whaling quickly gets political, and it's an easily avoidable controversy by simply exchanging whales for sea monsters.

Let's get some of these guys, Verra style:

E8eDhQO.jpg
    f4uDcVb.jpg
    6rPffio.jpg
    2QByyvT.jpg
    VvQfB9B.jpg
    0pd046e.jpg
    zVVV6Sz.jpg

YES
  • Options
    Deep Sea Fishing now requires harpoons, nets, and an enormous Boss Battle :D
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I like the idea of deep sea fishing, not necessarily whale but maybe other versions of older spices & the option to tame some of them.
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the idea of big sea monsters. Nerrors stuff looks good. Do that :P
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm against the whaling concept in general in most worlds that have magic, for many reasons.

Sea monsters are okay, as long as they aren't like the BDO implementation where technically you, as a character, never really 'fight' them.

Otherwise they're just BDO again. An easy target for people to fight over, and not even fight over in interesting ways. You have to make them either really strong, or relatively unrewarding, for this to not happen (BDO handles it by making them impossible to seriously damage with regular methods).

Also, whales are generally much more social entities anyway so unless they change that too, and Verran whales are loners for some reason...
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    I can't find my source.

But I believe they have said there are creatures which require multiple boats to capture/kill a single sea creature. This I think will add to it!
  • Options
    You could only go deep sea fishing on big boats that can carry enough food and materials so you could survive the trip, pass stroms and monsters waves to discover new islands with new spices of everything from fruits to metal & tameable creatures and of course fish's & more dangerous sea creatures to resupply so you could go back or continue the search.
  • Options
    Geophysical NinjaGeophysical Ninja Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2022
    You might as well ask if you can just go dolphin hunting. Whaling is symbolic of a horrible tendency of humanity to disregard the ecological impact of our decisions. Other than in fiction where it is a critical plot point, promoting it in any way should be avoided. I'm not saying to avoid fishing or deep sea fishing. I'm saying why whales?

Honestly, I get the idea, but you have a magical fantasy realm and your thought is "I've got to kill some whales." This should be avoided simply because the lack of imagination.

Develop some interesting content that is unique. Pair that with a fishing mechanic.

If this game only allows me to fish for salmon or bass, I will personally light a candle for the designers' soul. That level of complete laziness must mean that the most boring demonic possession has neutered the creativity of a group that can invent a wretched raffles but can't seem to manage a fish other than salmon bc water stuff is hard.
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    Also, whales are generally much more social entities anyway so unless they change that too, and Verran whales are loners for some reason...

Blue whales generally swim alone.
    You might as well ask if you can just go dolphin hunting. Whaling is symbolic of a horrible tendency of humanity to disregard the ecological impact of our decisions. Other than in fiction where it is a critical plot point, promoting it in any way should be avoided. I'm not saying to avoid fishing or deep sea fishing. I'm saying why whales?
    That is entirely missing the point.

We all (other than Japan and Norway) consider whaling to be bad because it has been illegal for most of our lives.

It has been illegal for most of our lives because we hunted most whale species down to numbers that were too low.

The idea wasn't to ban whaling, it was to discourage hunting any endangered species. Attributing an emption to just whales is borderline hypocritical.

If you are against whaling in a game, then you should be against hunting any form of lion, tiger, bear, monkey or tuna. Just as whales have some species that are endangered (not all whales are endangered), each of these groups also has members that are endangered.

While it's great to say that you want more interesting stuff, there is nothing at all wrong with also having the familiar.

I mean, we already know we have horses, mules, foxes and turtles as mounts - but we also have more fantastical mounts like the bonestrider.
  • Options
    Please use sea monsters and fantastic beats - NOT whales or dolphins. It’s not a good vibe and it’s a missed opportunity to be creative.
    The crows seemed to becalling his name, thought Caw.
    - Deep thoughts by Jack Handey
  • Options
    I'm against murder in real life but ganking is going to be my job in this game. I used to farm gold to hire people to run around with me ganking others in WoW Classic, will do it here.

This being said... ye, kinda feel bad when I got to kill tigers and wolves and stuff like that in games because I just love them so much in real life but at the end of the day it's a game.

I think you should have whales to kill as well as all sorts of sea monsters to kill as well.

• Options
    Got it: {Player name}, The Blubber Clubber.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    India on the other hand recognizes whales and dolphins as people due to their intelligence levels. Not just because 'its been illegal to hunt them all their lives.'

We generally, as a species, feel ok killing other intelligent species as a means of survival. I personally dislike games where I have to kill intelligent things that aren't a threat to myself or my community. At the same time I can stomach games with huge populations of apex, because realistically speaking too many apex collapse their own population.

Whales generally help fishing, not inhibit. They are as beneficial to marine ecology as wolves are to terrestrial. The culture among Japanese fisheries is a false tribal aggression as they feel whales and dolphins compete for their fish.

So yeah, I have a bunch of reasons why I wouldn't be ok with attacking a whale for 'fun'. It'd be weird if they attack first, they just don't tend to in the wild. And even if they did, sharks and sea monsters have way more avenues for making them interesting to fight.

I could get behind a full pod adventuring party of whales trying to sack boats for the loot though. Whales/dolphins are thematically the closest thing in water to having bard abilities and bubble shaping summons. Whaling individual whales though... no thanks. It's like murdering a puppy to me, except its a multi-ton puppy that has the intelligence of a teenager.

Bring on the giant squid, pleisiosaurs, and icythiosaurs baby.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    If the squid are attacking the ship it is the same to me as a dragon or whale attacking my ship. Krakens attacking your ship is just a trope I am used to. You as usual missed a lot of nuance.

As someone who studied extensively to become a marine biologist you are just flatly wrong irt the squid being more social than literal podding organisms... They dont generally coordinate hunts or coordinate defenses unlike the large majority of dolphins and whale species. The most you'll get is territory disputes (something many animals of various intelligence exhibit.)

Your notes about counting and problem solving are either reffering to octopuses or cuttlefish btw which is not the same as a giant squid. If you have the study on hand for giant squid behavior and intelligence please do forward that to me. That would be a breakthrough read. You might be getting the communication capacity of squid confused with cuttlefish and octopuses, which as a whole are about as solitary as a generality as it gets. There are exceptions, such as the Humboldt squid (who's communication we understand very little about) but the exceptions are about as prevalent as the solitariness of whales. Meanwhile bottlenose dolphins and orcas have literal subcultures for different bubble blowing techniques and hunting strategies.

Also... did you just literally attack Indian culture as a whole based off some ignorant people? You might wanna check introspectively why you felt the need to do that. I know you like arguing with me but there is no need to drag the good people of India into your attempts to pick at my arguments.

• Options
    I'm all for killing anything and everything. It's a frickin' video game.

giphy.gif
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    Samson wrote: »
    I'm all for killing anything and everything. It's a frickin' video game.

giphy.gif

I like playing a bit more seriously when it comes to morality considerations in video games. It's part of the fun for me. But I can respect your perspective of wanting to just turn off your brain and mindlessly hit some pixels.

• Options
    JustVine wrote: »
    If the squid are attacking the ship it is the same to me as a dragon or whale attacking my ship. Krakens attacking your ship is just a trope I am used to. You as usual missed a lot of nuance.
    Squid don't attack ships.

Basically, what I take from what you are saying is that you are OK with attacking and killing one intelligent sea creature, because you are used to see it happening in fiction - yet you are not OK with fiction depicting the attack of another intelligent sea creature.

If that is incorrect, all you need to post in a reply is which part of it is incorrect.

While it is true that both cuttlefish and octopi are smarter than squid, it is not by much, and my comments were specific to squid.

All of them.

Not giant squid - there isn't any kind of research body on them as they were only first observed in the wild in 2004. However, since we are talkingabout all whales, I see no reason why we can't talk a out all squid.

In fact, since you wanted to lump dolphins in with whales and talk about cetaceans as a whole, I see no reason why I couldn't have talked about all cepholopods as a whole. I didn't, I was only talking about squid - but you are the one that wants to expand the groups we are talking about.

Seemingly, you want to either expand or shrink as you see fit, in fact. We are talking about whales, you want to include dolphins to further your point. Then we talk about the comparison to squid (all squid being analogous to all whales), and rather than expanding the group as you did with whales by adding dolphins, you want to shrink it.

I'm not sure how me pointing out a fact about India right now is me attacking their whole culture (which in itself is an ignorant statement). Likewise, you pointing out that India gave cetaceans the status of nun-human person is not the culture as a whole. In fact, the decision to do so only came about because various groups in India were building parks to display dolphin shows, and this was the easiest way to prevent that happening - and thus gain popularity for the government.

Like it or not, your comment about the status they granted whales and dolphins was a reflection of a government decision, not "Indian culture" (I use "" because of the ridiculousness of trying to lump all of the hundreds of different cultures in India in to "Indian culture). As such, I replied by pointing out another decision of the Indian government

Perhaps I should point out that the US considered companies to have basic human rights - which I assume means you are against economically disabling nodes in game?
  • Options
    How did that line go. I'm not judging merely pointing out there is a guy in the back of an imax theatre randomly shouting all indians believe cow dung cures covid when the narrator briefly talks about animal rights legislation as part of a whaling documentary. Did I get that right?

• Options
    Noaani wrote: »

Basically, what I take from what you are saying is that you are OK with attacking and killing one intelligent sea creature, because you are used to see it happening in fiction - yet you are not OK with fiction depicting the attack of another intelligent sea creature.

If that is incorrect, all you need to post in a reply is which part of it is incorrect.

'So yeah, I have a bunch of reasons why I wouldn't be ok with attacking a whale for 'fun'. It'd be weird if they attack first, they just don't tend to in the wild. And even if they did, sharks and sea monsters have way more avenues for making them interesting to fight.

I could get behind a full pod adventuring party of whales trying to sack boats for the loot though. Whales/dolphins are thematically the closest thing in water to having bard abilities and bubble shaping summons. Whaling individual whales though... no thanks. '

• Options
    How did that line go. I'm not judging merely pointing out there is a guy in the back of an imax theatre randomly shouting all indians believe cow dung cures covid when the narrator briefly talks about animal rights legislation as part of a whaling documentary. Did I get that right?

Except I never said they all did, what is it with people fabricating arguments others make right now?

I said their government holds that specific line. I assume you don't agree with your government on every issue. In fact, I even pointed out that the government in question wass censuring people that spoke out against it - which to anyone thinking logically would mean that I am outright saying that not all Indians believe it. If all Indians believed it, the government would have nothing to censure, would they?

Stop fabricating arguments and then debating against them. It makes you look stupid.
  • Options
    What did we learn from the Simpsons when you're too friendly with dolphins?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOnNBOb8uQM
  • Options
    Modhi wasn't in power in 2013.