Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Request to make the Empyrean more distinguished from Humans

TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited February 2022 in General Discussion
Hejo,

Since the Py'Rai got some love to make them more unique and different. I would love to see the Empyrean get the same kind of love as well.

How about giving them the option to have Glowing Eyes to make them more distinguished from Humans?

I think glowing eyes could be good to keep them Elven but diversify them.

Comments

• Options
    Ejwjdo1.jpg
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think we will see some adjustments for Empyrean. I don't think they will be as great a divergence as Py'Rai.
  • Options
    I actually love the idea of some sort of glowy eyes! Would make their appearance look even more radiant!
  • Options
    Anduin KayvaanAnduin Kayvaan Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Alpha One
    I am all for glowing eyes as they have been said to be the most attuned with the essence and having glowing eyes would be a perfect way to explain them while also giving them some uniqueness but not diverging from regular high elves.
    ckja7ry05gj4.png
    Gray Sentinels Guild Recruitment https://tinyurl.com/Gray-Sentinels
  • Options
    SenkoSenko Member
    edited April 2023
  • Options
    Glowing eyes or glowing markings / tattoos would be pretty cool. I agree that the Py'rai look amazing, and really enjoying the high fantasy feel and unique take on these classic races.
  • Options
    Glowing eyes or glowing markings / tattoos would be pretty cool. I agree that the Py'rai look amazing, and really enjoying the high fantasy feel and unique take on these classic races.

Agreed. That would be cool.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    RyanTheSirenRyanTheSiren Member
    edited February 2022
    Mm, I personally am not entirely convinced the idea of this. I think it's nice to have one of the Elf races look more "standard elf-y". That's how it is with all the other races. Dunir and Ren'kai look like typical Dwarves and Orcs compared to their counterparts.

If this happens I really hope it's an optional thing and/or the intensity of the glow can be adjusted. I hate having glowbug flashlight eyes on my Elves in WoW after the WoD update to their models. Subtle glow is much better looking that flashlight eyes IMO

Could be cool to have glowing halo-esque options too to show Essence closeness and make the race feel more divine. Something like this:

ct66adCh.png
    2119d3594eedc18e8d78bbf377a4f7ff.png

• Options
    Anduin KayvaanAnduin Kayvaan Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Alpha One

Bring on the uniqueness!

Basically all I want is unique traits but not so unique that they lose their elvenness. Just simply something that separates them from the Kaelar.
    ckja7ry05gj4.png
    Gray Sentinels Guild Recruitment https://tinyurl.com/Gray-Sentinels
  • Options
    NOOOO!!! don't do this omg don't do this. I want traditional elves. Please don't listen to these people. Lithe, skinny, beautiful with pointed ears. Thats it, nothing else. This is make or break the game for me. It really is.
  • Options
    I think the Empyrians already look pretty distinguished from Humans, but i wouldn't mind they having glowing eyes as an extra character creation option(not as a obligatory feature).
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    I think that they will definitely fit the role of a more traditional dwarf the same way we have a "traditional" human, orc and dwarf.

That said, I think I like the idea of them being a little bit more regal maybe akin to a High Elf of sorts. I'd have to see a comparison on the glowy eyes but definitely having some unique customisation options would be cool.

But truthfully I would be happy for Intrepid to take their own approach on a "traditional" elf, the same way that their dwarf and human have some elements to it which aren't standout but also don't necessary look identical to what else is out there in the MMO-verse.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Zyonna wrote: »
    NOOOO!!! don't do this omg don't do this. I want traditional elves. Please don't listen to these people. Lithe, skinny, beautiful with pointed ears. That's it, nothing else. This is make or break the game for me. It really is.
    Have you taken the time to look at an Empyrean and compare them to a Human like the Kaelar?
    Not their Architecture, not their Armor, the Empyrean themselves.

The Empyreans elves have very small and delicate ears. Which is okay, I like it.
    The issue is when you don't see those ears, you can easily mistake an Empyrean for a Human.

Giving them glowing eyes adds a unique feature to the Empyrean, which currently no other playable race has, which helps to distinguish them, without taking anything away from them that might be considered elven.

An easy example of this would be the Elves from World of Warcraft, and never in my life have I heard, that they wouldn't be Elves, because they have glowing eyes.
    If anything, when talking about Elves, people tend to refer to World of Warcraft Elves, Lord of the Rings Elves, and the Warhammer Elves, that's usually it.

So we take the different features from those examples that people like, and evolve the concept of what an Elf is.
  • Options
    While i am totally going to play Py'Rai (just in love with everything about them so far), i shall not fail to show some love for my elven brethren and agree that the Empyrean do look too much like Kaelar. So glowing eyes its a good idea!
    When the flame of life glimmers in the wind, my hand shall guard it
    When the weak waver on their path, my spirit shall be their guide
    When the strong fall to darkness, my heart shall be their beacon
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    we need traditional elves, same as we need traditional dwarves, orcs n humans, I think intrepid nailed it 100% with having a subrace that is traditional and another one that is very unique, WoW has blood and night elves, which are as unique as the pyrai, traditional elves are just tall and skinny humans with pointy ears
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Liniker wrote: »
    we need traditional elves, same as we need traditional dwarves, orcs n humans, I think intrepid nailed it 100% with having a subrace that is traditional and another one that is very unique, WoW has blood and night elves, which are as unique as the pyrai, traditional elves are just tall and skinny humans with pointy ears
    If you want Traditional Elves, we have to take a look at the Norse Mythology, at Light Elves (Tolkiens inspiration for the Calaquendi - the High Elves), which were beautiful creatures fairer than the sun.
    I believe making the entire elf fairer than the sun might be a bit much for our eyes to handle. Giving them glowing eyes, would be a step in the right direction, without changing the modern design too much.

Elves have mostly been Demihumans in modern media.
    Many traditional things and concepts are way older than modern media, and elves are no exception.

The Blood Elves are High Elves.
    "The blood elves are high elves who changed their name after the Scourge invasion of Quel'Thalas. Their new name is a dirge, referencing both the blood of their many brethren who fell during the Third War, and their royal lineage."

The Night Elves are Wood Elves.
  • Options
    SnaleSnale Member
    edited February 2022
    Many people just want your basic every day generic Legolas. I don't get it, it's not my style, but it is totally valid.

In my opinion they should make the Empyrean elves as vanilla and close to Tolkien elves as they can in order to hit that demographic of players. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't.

IMHO Py'rai hits the modern high fantasy, elven fearie/witch demographic perfectly. We don't need two bizzaro elf species at launch.
  • Options
    RyanTheSirenRyanTheSiren Member
    edited February 2022
    Snale wrote: »
    Many people just want your basic every day generic Legolas. I don't get it, it's not my style, but it is totally valid.

In my opinion they should make the Empyrean elves as vanilla and close to Tolkien elves as they can in order to hit that demographic of players. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't.

IMHO Py'rai hits the modern high fantasy, elven fearie/witch demographic perfectly. We don't need two bizzaro elf species at launch.

Exactly. If these guys wanna play super unique elves, Py'rai will be right there waiting for them.

I don't understand the "Empyreans look too much like Kaelar!!" thing. For one, Empyreans will be MUCH taller and their bodies seem more alien-oid if anything. For another, their hairstyles look to be super long and intricate which I haven't seen on humans.

I'm totally down for more unique OPTIONS for them. Key word being options. If glowy eyes are forced I'll be super sad ://
  • Options
    They didn't appear much taller than Kaelar in Alpha One.
  • Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2022
    As someone who is going to be likely playing an Empyrian, I'd love the option for glowy eyes / heterochromia. And I won't be playing a Py'rain just because I want to be "unique".
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    They didn't appear much taller than Kaelar in Alpha One.

Alpha one had very rough models, we haven't even seen the revamped Empyrean yet, but just look at the difference between A1 dwarves (short humans) and current Duinr dwarves (Actual burly Dwarves)
  • Options
    Seems like the Dünir are still tiny, though. We need to see them compared to other races.

You said you didn't understand why people are saying Empyrean look too much like Kaelar.
    I informed you it's because of their appearance in Alpha One.
    And it's the reason for this thread which is asking that they be more distinguished from Humans than they were in Alpha One.

You are saying they WILL be much taller than Kaelar.
    Do you have a dev quote for that?
  • Options
    Glowing Eyes sounds like a fun idea~
  • Options
    I would love for some glowing eyes. They've got that essence attunement so it'd be cool if they had some visual queue for that.
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We have now high fantasy elf option with Py'Rai, i think its best to appeal to the tolkien elf crowd with Empyrean because thats what majority of classic elf fanboys/girls look for
    Izil.png
  • Options
    Not really down with the glowing eyes thing. I think a better idea...and something that would much more distinguishable, and noticeable from a distance would be to give some kind of a glowing aura around them. We see that at various times in Lord of the Rings so even the people who seem to think that an Elf can't exist out of the Tolkien version can't really complain. Maybe its a bit stronger at a distance and de-luminates at they get closer. That way it will distinguish them from a distance but doesn't blind you up close and personal. Something similar to when Frodo first catches glimpse of Arwen in The Fellowship. She's very bright at first from a distance and then its as if she walks thru it, or out of it and the radiance fades.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited February 2022
    Given their culture and lore, it would be interesting to leverage that to differentiate the visuals from humans.

For example, maybe the different universities of magic from old impacted their characteristics. Or the prolonged exposure to corruption across Verra added physical marks to different sub-tribes.

It would be kinda cool as an elf to have your tattoo glow brighter when encountering places / enemies touched by corruption.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Elves
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2022
    Highly disagree with the tattoo idea for Empyrean. Steven has already said Py'rai will have your idea of tattoos or similar with bioluminescent/glowing options.

I am sure there will be cosmetics down the road to satisfy your idea of the ideal empyrean
    Izil.png
  • Options
    Zurgo_DrakuthZurgo_Drakuth Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So in terms of creating uniqueness for the Empyrean I would agree that glowing eyes and tattoos would be good options, and it brings to mind the Nightborne from World of Warcraft. Additionally I would suggest adding other types of demi-human features to them, the Py'rai have a very "one with nature" feel going for them with the latest update showing their antlers, so perhaps going for a more "heavenly" route with the Empyrean would be good, I saw some people talking about halos for them which would certainly be different.

Now let's take the halo idea a bit farther and perhaps draw upon inspiration from biblical angels for a moment. Perhaps go for an option of making it 3 or 4 eyes giving them the appearance of being "closer to the gods".

Perhaps take a bit of inspiration from Aion's Asmodians and give them taloned hands and feet and allowing them to have darker skin tones more into the gray scale creating a drastic contrast to the glowing tattoos and eyes.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Empyrean might have different tattoos.
    Japanese tattoos aren’t the same as Maori tattoos. Both are different than European tattoos.