Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Player Feedback Request] Kaelar Female (3D model) - Feb 2022

VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
edited August 2022 in General Discussion
Hello glorious community,

We’d like your feedback regarding the look and feel of the Kaelar female. We shared our most recent art of this race during the February Development Update livestream.

As a reminder, your feedback matters to us! For example: during Alpha One, players felt the Dünir race did not meet their expectations of a dwarf. Due to that feedback, we made adjustments to the Dünir race as mentioned in our September Development Update last year.

Kaelar Female
KAE_F_Close.png

KAE_F_Full.png

Kaelar race discussion from February Development Update livestream.

To help guide the conversation, here are a few thought starters:
  • What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
  • Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
  • What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Kaelar female?
  • Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Kaelar female?
Don’t feel limited to the questions above. Please, share anything you’d like about the Kaelar race design.

We’ll be leaving this thread open for your feedback until the end of the day on Wednesday, March 16, so that we can begin compiling a report for our development team.

Everyone here at Intrepid Studios looks forward to reading all the great reactions to our latest character designs!
community_management.gif

Comments

• Options
    Serena VenportSerena Venport Member, Alpha One
    The model looks great imo. My only concern or puzzling question is why does she look high or like she just spent 3 hours with her eyes open in a chlorinated pool?
  • Options
    Direction for the base model is looking great to me :) I personally don't have any suggestions on changes other than the undies seem a bit hiked up and look weird to me lmao
  • Options
    nonameftwnonameftw Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Well, its a human. Creativly the easier thing to do I'd say.

The interesting thing with humans is the customization. To have a wide range of options to give everyone an option to make their Ideal self. A wide range of body types (if possible) and race types is the crowning achievement.
    “Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.”
  • Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Plain and simple human, as they should be
    Izil.png
  • Options
    I'm going to post this in both threads because it applies to both races/your direction overall.

I think I speak for a vast majority of the community when I say I absolutely LOVE the art direction/style of the Pyrai. The same goes for the Vek. But a stark and persisting issue I see happening is that, while the other races don't necessarily look bad, they look like they are from a completely different game. When you look at all the races, whether it be concept or 3D, you can clearly see that the Vek/Pyrai have a similar art style, but different to the rest of the races.

I strongly, passionately believe that a unified art style is ESSENTIAL for a game. Of course, games should have a WIDE variety of aesthetics, but one should be able to see a character and identify its style and say, "yup, that's definitely an Ashes of Creation character." This can be done for many other games (i.e. League, Valorant, BDO, Archeage, etc.).

The Vek/Pyrai are unique, stylized without being too cartoony, and overall just very very polished. The rest of the races on the other hand, as mentioned, aren't bad, but are also quite bland. They lack a unique or interesting art style.

And so my suggestion is this: Please, please unify your art style/direction moving forward. I'm not sure whether this is true but it looks like the Vek and Pyrai concepts were designed by a completely different team, but everyone loves them. So please re-create the rest of the races in the art style of the Vek/Pyrai. It would give your game character, identifiability/uniqueness, and polish.
  • Options
    Same issues with male human. They are not stylized enough like the other races, ex: Vek and Py'rai so almost stand out as a different art style. Too human for a fantasy world that it's a bit uncanny valley in my opinion. I think the hair, eyes, and skin texture are where to look at improving and not in a more realistic direction. Also, the underwear are very modern.
  • Options
    I like this model, for me, I am hoping the Human races get something/some way to distinguish themselves from one another. I assume the Lore will describe distinctions but being able to show this in-game will be important in my opinion.

The model itself is well done, and I do like the Art style.
  • Options
    ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2022
    The model looks good, however Iike others have said, because of the bland look of a human, I believe there should be a plethra of customizations for them. Many various hair styles for both, Male and Female, including adornments that help change hairstyles (head bands, Ponytail-scrunchies, etc), also human race should have option of eye patch or glass eyes, etc...
    [img][/img]
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    love it, I don't want it to be stylized at all, a regular human is good, I also hope you don't go to crazy with the vaelune, humans are humans after all, maybe just some features like different eye pupils to make verrans different from earthlings, but stick with the current realistic design for humans :)
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I love it! Humans should be like this. Graphically it matches the other races, so idk what the nonsense talk is about a unified art style. Obviously a high fantasy fictional race is going to look way different than a normal Human stylistically. Keep going with this design but with tons and tons of customization.
  • Options
    l3v3rag3l3v3rag3 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I love how it looks, I may have more feedback on the human design once I get in the character creator though. Hopefully we have facial expressions to show while doing so, since the expression currently is kind of lifeless.
  • Options
    EmberstoneEmberstone Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Q) What do you like about the current art direction of this race?
    A) I like that if i wanted to play a humanoid there's a definitive choice :p. Great model.

Q) Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?
    A) I do like the direction. I think i'd prefer if there was a thing that defines Aela humans. I'm not sure what that could be, but "plain" human seems uninspiring.

Q) What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Kaelar female?
    A) Looks more polished and defined. I'd like to see variations in age/height/proportions and see if it looks good on that, too.
    ftcm67938qg3.gif
  • Options
    I like the art direction on her. She looks like an everyday human - which is exactly what she should look like.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    She looks like a normal western European/Caucasian female, which I think is what you were going for. Nothing weird or off about her. I think you did well and wouldn't change anything.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    I will say that I am *overall* happy with the model! I can tell that with the small details in the hair, the potential for variety is definitely high!

I have had mixed opinions whenever I revisit the overall look of the face though. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's not anything specific and it's really bad feedback but I think at first glance the lips seemed a bit "duck-facey" but that could be nothing, it could even be the pose. I really need to see how we can vary this, change proportions etc. and perhaps a different "pose" for the idle face.

I like the details with the freckles even going to the shoulders and the idea that a freckle modifier could affect the whole body.

Do the eyes look symmetrical? Is it just the angle of the image? The right eye looks bigger than me but might be my mind playing tricks on me. But I like the actual look of the eye and the colour it really pops out.

I don't care TOO much for the underwear! Are there many records on authentic medi-evil underwear? Does Vera sit on a weird pants timeline? Who knows.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2022
    This model looks very European. I'd like to see some Kaelar with some non-European features.
    Based on the Py'Rai and the Vek - not only do I wonder how they seem to have evolved via some magical factor on Sanctus - world with no magic...but...

If that's the case why is the same not true for one of the sub-races of Human and Dwarf?
  • Options
    TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    To me the Model looks like a very respectable Human Woman, with some room for improvements.

The area below the bellybutton looks like someone performed a c-section with a Zweihänder.
    smekh1sqen9j.png

I don't like the underwear at all. Looks uncomfortable, and I have serious concerns about this causing chafing on various points, but especially between the cheeks on the back. This looks to me like it would become a pain to wear.

How about some comfy cloth underwear instead of what looks to be leather?

Bonus History Time about Medieval Cloth Underwear
    Did you know that Cloth Underwear including Bras existed over 600 Years ago?
    You can look up terms like Lengberg Castle Underwear for more information

I'll give you a some links as well
    15th Century Cloth Underwear

I'll include pictures
    bgoo4x91h8zr.png
  • Options
    SzaasSzaas Member
    She looks fine. Apart from the high AF glazed eyes and duck lips.
  • Options
    MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited March 2022
    Long live the Kaelar queens
    aMiJScM.jpg
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    SnaleSnale Member
    edited March 2022
    Good, basic human.

Around the eyes looks a little upset or unhealthy, but other than that it's a solid base model for a basic AF race.

Something I'd like to see in the character creator is a decent selection of Afro-textured hair options. So many MMOs offer just one Afro and one tight braid look, which often look pretty awful/unrealistic, and leave it at that. Hoping Ashes can deliver some great looks <3
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    This model looks very European. I'd like to see some Kaelar with some non-European features.
    What would distinguish them from the Vaelune?

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    My only concern is the outer layer of the eyes. I hope it doesn't make her look like she got beaten up.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2022
    Atama wrote: »
    Depends on which one gets the magical features like the Vek and Py'Rai did.

But even if that doesn't happen.
    Perhaps Kaelar include European, Indian, and Asian features, while Vaelune include African, Middle Eastern and Native American features.
    I don't really care how they are mixed and matched as long as they are mixed and matched rather than just Kaelar are European and Vaelune are non-European.
    I think the primary distinguishing distinguishing feature is supposed to be height. And the cultural (Kaelar v Vaelune) styles of armor.
  • Options
    ZekethephoenixZekethephoenix Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What do you like about the current art direction of this race?: It seems like an average Caucasian human in good shape.
    Is there anything you dislike about the art direction for this race, and why?: The current humans have a stiff and lifeless feel to them. I'm getting too much uncanny valley. I'm not sure the best way to get away from that, but maybe all races need to look a bit more stylized or something. I know we're going for a realism feel but it gets weird when we're playing soulless and stiff dolls. Something about their eyes is giving off the soulless feel.
    What are your thoughts on what was shown during the livestream for the Kaelar female?: "Same feeling as the dislikes"
    Are there any specific Character Creator customizations you would like to see for the Kaelar female?: Underwear options. Boob&butt sliders. Non-human pupils, maybe like runic shapes within their iris or other abnormal eyes.

To sum up. There's something strange about the design of humans atm. Could be the general art style.
  • Options
    Gaul_Gaul_ Member
    edited March 2022
    I think the butt is lacking [not just in this model but in the other races and on the males as well]. I am beginning to suspect Intrepid Studios is anti-butt.

I think the rest of this model is pretty stellar.
  • Options
    GutzgoreGutzgore Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Bear with me for a second here....

This may sound shallow, but this is real world and I'm just being honest.

When you look at other games, especially those outside of the US. They are not afraid to make sexy male and female models. While I know this is not like those games and Ashes has its own direction its going... lets be honest with ourselves and understand that these games do extremely well and have player retention in large part because we as humans generally like attractive character models just like we like attractive partners in life. In addition to this, these games provide a plethora of cosmetics and such to emphasize this. This is in our DNA.

With that said, I do hope that the character customization allows for such models to include the "sliders" that I'm willing to guarantee most customers want. Please don't be afraid to allow for attractive character customization or unattractive for that matter if its what the player wants to create. Honestly when a customer can create a character they feel meets a criteria of their liking, they are happy, happy = a good game and retention. A game needs to accomplish this. Lets not get PC with this to a point its ridiculous given some of the recent events with other companies. Same goes for all the other races in their respective ways and art styles. Its called a character creator, because we want freedom to create.

The human model does look good from a technical standpoint, but I do think it is important to let gamers create the beautiful men, women or race they want to see. I know that the range of that is extensive, but we all know what someone generally means when they say attractive. I leave that up to your imagination.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Atama wrote: »
    Depends on which one gets the magical features like the Vek and Py'Rai did.

But even if that doesn't happen.
    Perhaps Kaelar include European, Indian, and Asian features, while Vaelune include African, Middle Eastern and Native American features.
    I don't really care how they are mixed and matched as long as they are mixed and matched rather than just Kaelar are European and Vaelune are non-European.
    I think the primary distinguishing distinguishing feature is supposed to be height. And the cultural (Kaelar v Vaelune) styles of armor.

The Kaelar are European, the Vaelune are Middle-Eastern. That has been the published plan since Kickstarter.

Keep in mind, it’s not only the physical features being influenced by real life cultures. They will also influence clothes, armor, weapons, gear, and architecture.

The Ren’Kai are supposed to have an Asian influence (though the latest concept art have seemingly abandoned that tact). The Py’Rai are supposed to have Native American influence.

I am glad they aren’t going for your idea of homogeny. That would be lame. Your suggestion is to remove any distinctiveness from the human races in the game, aside from “magical features”, which would make them no longer human.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    WuqingYe wrote: »
    Direction for the base model is looking great to me :) I personally don't have any suggestions on changes other than the undies seem a bit hiked up and look weird to me lmao

Haha, yeah. Surprisingly for me, I hadn't really noticed until you pointed it out. I wonder if they'll be selling underwear cosmetics in the cosmetic store! :D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Lord_MarshalLord_Marshal Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I understand from the wiki that humans were once Half elves. If so, then I would love to see options in character creation that show it is still part of their DNA.
  • Options
    SzaasSzaas Member
    edited March 2022
    ib35cf3od46o.jpg