Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ideas for an ideal CHAT

MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
edited April 2022 in General Discussion
What would be your ideal chat?
How important do you think Chat will be for the sociability of AoC?
What things should or shouldn't it have?
How important is the chat for you?
The chat should have the option to be editable like CC?

What ideas under your experience in MMOs would make a chat the "ideal chat"?
EDym4eg.png

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    As a Lineage 2 simp, I find its chat amazing. Simplistic yet editable. Obviously just give players as many options to customize it as possible. Make it the Winamp of mmo chats!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Some examples of other MMOs
    wow CHAT
    SDJMbGf.jpg
    Gw2 CHAT
    26NKLvg.jpg
    nw CHAT
    DDtWY3F.jpg
    bdo CHAT
    ZN2nF7H.jpg
    Lineage 2 CHAT
    ISqaelp.jpg
    Atlantica Online CHAT
    A8JK1JO.jpg
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I usually ignore in-game chat.
    I'm typically in voice chat and monitoring social media, like twitter, or following someone's twitch chat.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Total channel display / filters. Also, the option to hide it entirely from the UI.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Good topic. I find that some games just seem to do things wrong to take away the ease of immersion with guild chat.

WoW chat has always honestly been pretty solid for me. Things I liked about it:

- There wasn't so much "spam" in the main default channel. It really was just /say, /general,/trade. It was clean. /yell as well for a larger local radius.
    - -Say was default, made a chat bubble so you could see chat messages ON the person you are talking to. It's intuitive. All games should have this. Why don't you??
    - colours were decent by default. Green for guild stood out, as did the purple whispers.

To give an example of bad chat design:

- Lost Ark's *default* chat is horrendous. All chat is in one tab, and the amount of channels, spam of loot pickup, currency, items etc. guild whispers all in one, it's impossible. By *default* chat should be friendly.
    - One thing they did WELL - is customisability. I picked it up quickly, but it's just not intuitive. It should be easy and foster easy communication at different levels.
    - I like toggle-able notifications for tab i.e "flashing" when a message is received.

i think that /say /party /whisper /guild /raid should all have chat bubbles, these should also be optional toggles in the options, but turned on by default. The bubbles should be colour coded the same way as the text.

These are my main likes and gripes - i think just make chat INTUITIVE, clean by default but customisable. Chat bubbles imo add immersion as I can type and follow a local conversation without looking to the chat window and I like that.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dygz wrote: »
    That's just because no one wants to talk to you.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »
    That's just because no one wants to talk to you.

Hm. I would.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I prefer written chat to voice chat since I can read much faster than people can talk.
  • Options
    SylvanarSylvanar Member
    edited April 2022
    Like AidenKD said, WoW chat is pretty solid. If we want we can have separate bubbles for any chat we want, else they stay in default chat and combat log is in a separate channel if AoC wants to make that available. Not to mention we get notification for whispers, and can modify the size and location of the chat bubble to anywhere on the screen. Not to mention tons of other customizing options provided as well.

I would prefer proximity/party based voice chat as well but its not a necessary feature as discord and other such options are available.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • Options
    I really dislike New Worlds chat...

World of Warcraft chat was good. I liked being able to have the different channels in a different window/tab.

which also makes me wonder/hope. is the HUD going to be movable in AoC? hm... gotta look up the supported graphics info....
  • Options
    Ideal chat = No censorship

Period.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Great question and topic, @MybroViajero !

Personally, I love WoW's chatbox. I believe I use an addon that hides it when not in use which makes it a little dynamic, but I think it's a great tool for communication and serves its purpose very well. I especially liked when they added class colors to the chatbox! It's cool seeing the visual examples that @MybroViajero provided of some other MMORPGs that I am both familiar and unfamiliar with!

I'm certainly curious to read more about what everyone thinks is best for Ashes of Creation!
    community_management.gif
  • Options

Period.

n48n5d5odu0t.gif
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    Chat windows are chat windows and no matter what formats are used it's ultimately some player that abuses the open format and there are very few ways to weed out people determined to cause disruption.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    AidanKD wrote: »
    Good topic. I find that some games just seem to do things wrong to take away the ease of immersion with guild chat.

WoW chat has always honestly been pretty solid for me. Things I liked about it:

- There wasn't so much "spam" in the main default channel. It really was just /say, /general,/trade. It was clean. /yell as well for a larger local radius.
    - -Say was default, made a chat bubble so you could see chat messages ON the person you are talking to. It's intuitive. All games should have this. Why don't you??
    - colours were decent by default. Green for guild stood out, as did the purple whispers.

To give an example of bad chat design:

- Lost Ark's *default* chat is horrendous. All chat is in one tab, and the amount of channels, spam of loot pickup, currency, items etc. guild whispers all in one, it's impossible. By *default* chat should be friendly.
    - One thing they did WELL - is customisability. I picked it up quickly, but it's just not intuitive. It should be easy and foster easy communication at different levels.
    - I like toggle-able notifications for tab i.e "flashing" when a message is received.

i think that /say /party /whisper /guild /raid should all have chat bubbles, these should also be optional toggles in the options, but turned on by default. The bubbles should be colour coded the same way as the text.

These are my main likes and gripes - i think just make chat INTUITIVE, clean by default but customisable. Chat bubbles imo add immersion as I can type and follow a local conversation without looking to the chat window and I like that.

Definitely WOW chat is a reference but I think it is mostly because of the ADDONS and the UI work, I wonder if in AoC the UI can be used in the same way.
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    What would be your ideal chat?
    What things should or shouldn't it have?
    How important is the chat for you?
    Should the chat have the option to be editable?

What ideas under your experience in MMOs would make a chat the "ideal chat"?

My ideal chat: I guess it would have to be a chat about something interesting, or maybe something funny. Or both interesting and funny. Also, chatting with somebody that has some personality and is easily understandable. It's hard to chat if you're struggling to work out what someone's saying.

How important: Chatting isn't specifically important to me, cos I don't really like people much or at all, but sometimes it's an acceptable way to pass the time.

Editable: Ohhhhhh. I may have misunderstood this topic......
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    fabulafabula Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Since AoC will not have an automatic party finder system I assume the chat will be very important in order to gather people for group content. My hope is they take the best things that worked and were useful in other games, try them out and modify/improve as necessary.

Things that are a must have is the ability to add tabs, filter content and change the text color. The ability to create channels and be able to moderate them would be nice ho have if it doesn't undermine another part of the game.

The main thing I want is for the chat to be good enough so that you are not required to have some other program such as discord that functions as the game's defacto chat system.
  • Options
    If I would have a choice, I would prerfer the chatsystem of Anarchy Online.
    You can have as many chat-windows as you want and you can write in every chat seperately,
    without continuesly changing the channel-prefix ... Also every single chat contains filters and
    chatcolour can be adjusted at will ...

Cheers
  • Options

Definitely WOW chat is a reference but I think it is mostly because of the ADDONS and the UI work, I wonder if in AoC the UI can be used in the same way.

There are some great addons absolutely. But I never used addons for chat and really was referencing the default experience. I guess it's a testament to the fact that I *personally* never needed them for it to be functional and easy to use for me.
  • Options

Period.

I hate it when the profanity filter isn't a toggle. Especially for asian games, they have the (seemingly) most random filter rules. It should be up to the player to decide whether they want to have their chat censored or not.

Other than that, I expect custom options for the chat (tabs, channel colors, timestamp, size, sound notification for private messages, etc...), the usual.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    fabula wrote: »
    Since AoC will not have an automatic party finder system I assume the chat will be very important in order to gather people for group content. My hope is they take the best things that worked and were useful in other games, try them out and modify/improve as necessary.

Things that are a must have is the ability to add tabs, filter content and change the text color. The ability to create channels and be able to moderate them would be nice ho have if it doesn't undermine another part of the game.

The main thing I want is for the chat to be good enough so that you are not required to have some other program such as discord that functions as the game's defacto chat system.

The importance of a good chat for the sociability of an MMO with very sociable goals.
    Yes, it should definitely be that way.
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    ZahieZahie Member
    I want to be able to customize the chat window with show/hide option, opacity slider, size, adding as many customizable tabs as I want, mute options for /channels, font color, font size and an on/off option if there's gonna be a profanity filter.

I want it clean and organized and tabs that notify when there is unread chats.
    I like how Guild Wars 2 did with their chat-tabs.
  • Options

Period.

Although it has its problems too but if Intrepid handles the rules well I think a chat without censorship would be good.
    EDym4eg.png