Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Alpha 2 Question

IMO, Alpha 2 this Summer. Beta 1 Q1 2023. Beta 2 Summer 2023. Launch Nov 2023.

Alpha 2 is stated to be a persistent alpha. My Q: does this mean the plan is to have the world up all the way to Beta? Ofc I realize there will probably be lengthy multi-week downtime, code changes, server wipes, etc. But aside from that, is the plan for Alpha 2 to run all the way to Beta?

Comments

• NiKrNiKr Member
    edited April 2022
    Until launch.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Persistent_alpha
    And those release expectations are really optimistic so I'd suggest shifting them at least a year into the future so that you don't get upset when they're not met.
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    mcnasty wrote: »

risitas-main.gif
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Alpha 2 probably still 6 months out from now minimum @mcnasty
  • I mean, I would LOVE these predictions myself. But I'm not keeping my hopes up because I know i'll end up being disappointed if I do.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • NiKr wrote: »
    Until launch.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Persistent_alpha
    And those release expectations are really optimistic so I'd suggest shifting them at least a year into the future so that you don't get upset when they're not met.

Also post-launch the Alpha 2 servers will merely be switched over to be PTS servers. So they're never really going down, the purpose just will change.
  • Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Also I'm pretty sure beta 2 is supposed to only be a couple days long and only a few days before launch.
  • qpggr1an51mg.png

This calendar surely holds the key to alpha2 :P hahaha if only
  • Also I'm pretty sure beta 2 is supposed to only be a couple days long and only a few days before launch.

correct the beta cycles are gonna be super short atleast according to the wiki
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2022
    Never trust dev guesstimates...
    Also, Steven is especially bad at prognosticating times.
    Scope creep like UE5 and signifcantly changing the base models of the races inherently means additional time. We haven't even seen concept art for the Tulnar in the last 4 years, let alone 3D models.

Alpha Two has tons for us to test. And it's going to be a year since Alpha One started.
    So... even if the Beta cycles are "super short", we can expect 1.5 years between Alpha Two and Beta One.

I don't understand the point of a Beta that is only a couple of days. That sounds like a Head Start.
    Dygz wrote: »

I don't understand the point of a Beta that is only a couple of days. That sounds like a Head Start.

A test launch essentially.
    I've never known a beta to only last a couple of days.
    You have to do more with any beta than just test the launch.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Artifact's beta only lasted a week before the release, so there is precedent. Don't know if there's one in the mmo genre though.
  • LunnixLunnix Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It has been a long time, I still log in and buy cosmetics from the shop, but it's been over a year or 2 I am starting to lose hope and feel bad buying items for a game that is still years away from being completed. Hopefully, Alpha 2 comes out soon even if it's another tech alpha just so we can see what changes from last year.
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    As @NiKr pointed out, these are our current plans: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Persistent_alpha 🏗
    community_management.gif
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member
    edited May 2022

Most betas I've seen are only a few days, where they do several weekend events. The real game testing is what Alphas are for, while Betas are often more for stress testing, preparing for launch, and catching major last minute bugs. By the time a beta comes around a game needs to be almost ready for launch because it's too late in development to make real changes.
    Several weekend events are not a couple of days.
    You are still supposed to test all the features in a Beta. And you can't meanigfully do that in just a couple of days with an MMORPG.
    You are still supposed to test all the features in a Beta. And you can't meanigfully do that in just a couple of days with an MMORPG.

I think that's what A2 is supposed to test right? A2 will test the game features. Betas will test the start up with larger and larger numbers
  • I will go ahead and predict right now Alpha 2 will come out in June or July of 2023, Originally i thought they may release in November at the earliest because that would give them 6 months of streams to release some of the major mechanics they wanted, but i realized with Throne and Liberty being released and starfield being released in November and their history of avoiding conflict of interest it makes me realize they will likely opt for a summer launch. This allows them to have 2 years between A1 and A2, an adequate amount of time to flesh out each of these complicated systems and avoids the conflict of interest in game releases.
    edited May 2022

I think that's what A2 is supposed to test right? A2 will test the game features. Betas will test the start up with larger and larger numbers
    When you make any build, you still have to do a pass of testing on all the features. And, for an MMORPG, that is going to take more than a couple of days.

A2 is still going to be implementing features.
    Betas are supposed to be feature-complete. You are mostly bug-fixing.
    B2 is not intended to be months. Might not even be weeks. But, it's most likely going to be more than a couple of days, otherwise there is no point in having it.
    Headstart is two days.
  • volshvolsh Member
    Can't wait :)
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Changes will happen after A2. If you believe we can enter the new iteration without issues with the additional classes, additional augments and all the other additions without the need for changes and fixes I'm not sure what to tell you.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif

When you make any build, you still have to do a pass of testing on all the features. And, for an MMORPG, that is going to take more than a couple of days.

A2 is still going to be implementing features.
    Betas are supposed to be feature-complete. You are mostly bug-fixing.
    B2 is not intended to be months. Might not even be weeks. But, it's most likely going to be more than a couple of days, otherwise there is no point in having it.
    Headstart is two days.

Sure A2 won't start complete as we've heard we get half the map at start but it will be complete by the time betas come. A2 is where we're going to get the feature testing you're talking about. From what they've told us they'll be adding in stuff like music for the betas. Head start is only a couple servers so it doesn't really test everyone joining all at once like a launch. That's why I assume the beta 2 test just a launch sim and only a short time
  • AdelissaAdelissa Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Those dates are pretty optimistic, I don't see release happening until 2024 at the earliest.
    Adelissa | Guild Master | Heathen Lords
    avlegukgqhk0.png
    Sure A2 won't start complete as we've heard we get half the map at start but it will be complete by the time betas come. A2 is where we're going to get the feature testing you're talking about. From what they've told us they'll be adding in stuff like music for the betas. Head start is only a couple servers so it doesn't really test everyone joining all at once like a launch. That's why I assume the beta 2 test just a launch sim and only a short time
    B2 will be relatively short. Yes.

• LineagerLineager Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2022

You are most optimistic human being I have ever seen :)
  • TheSgtPepperTheSgtPepper Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I thought I was being optimistic with my hopeful alpha 2 around Dec2022 - Feb-2023 more realistically I'd say Alpha 2 towards Sept 2023. I've been learning game dev for a while and just imagining the work it will take to make this MMO a reality is staggering.
  • Ethereum wrote: »

Truth. I suspect they've made a lot more progress than they're sharing at this point.

edited May 2022
    For certain, they have made more progress than they are sharing, but we still have some pretty good hints a what they still need to do based on what Steven is not ready to share.
  • BorealisBorealis Member
    edited May 2022
    Ethereum wrote: »

Truth. I suspect they've made a lot more progress than they're sharing at this point.

I'm sorry to rain on your parade but theres no way they're launching alpha 2 this summer and most likely not until next year. Not even considering the fact that they're still not even done with the combat revamp and was stated they're still a couple of months away from being finished, which im still struggling to comprehend but also the fact that alpha 1 had dates set months before hand and eventually had to get delayed at one point. We also got teases and class overviews up until that point which we haven't yet. I don't even think we've seen any full on gameplay in the world setting since the UE5 revealed. As far as im aware there hasn't been any spot testing since the end of A1 which is a red flag for it coming any time soon
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We will build a2 to be progressive. No more combat revamps, server issues and disconnects.

Therefore, A2 will not be rushed but a2 will be the mark towards release when it does arrive.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif