Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Class Popularity Data Collection

I am curious about what classes people want to play as. I am also curious about how that data will change over time as new information and new testing phases come and go.

To this end, I would like to collect this data monthly via polling.

General sentiment towards the various classes may not change much from month to month, but small changes over time can lead to interesting long-term data.

As such, I would like to dedicate this discussion thread to collecting data about class popularity and discussion of that data.

I would like to include this data within a spreadsheet or database to use for data analysis, but for now, I have but a single Strawpoll for this month, linked here. I am using the "generic" archetype/subarchetype names rather than the fancy official names for simplicity's sake.

If enough people are interested and I get some good data, I may update this with charts and graphs in the future.

If there are any ongoing data collection projects of this nature, let me know. I tried to find one, but the only one I found wasn't being updated actively.
«1

Comments

  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Shall we assume that you are asking for data about our MAIN character, rather than all the alts we will also play? If someone is going to play their cleric 50%, Archer 30% and other characters 20%, how shall we respond? Which characters we play on for how long will also change over time. One person may have two accounts with different Main characters on each and play both accounts simultaneously. What then?
  • IgnitharIgnithar Member
    tautau wrote: »
    Shall we assume that you are asking for data about our MAIN character, rather than all the alts we will also play? If someone is going to play their cleric 50%, Archer 30% and other characters 20%, how shall we respond? Which characters we play on for how long will also change over time. One person may have two accounts with different Main characters on each and play both accounts simultaneously. What then?

    Good question. I think most people are going to only play their one class, but for people with a more complicated collection of characters and accounts, I would just say to pick your "favorite."
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Interesting poll, thanks for putting it up.
  • IgnitharIgnithar Member
    tautau wrote: »
    Interesting poll, thanks for putting it up.

    If enough people express interest in the results, I plan to run one every month. If that happens, I'll make a public spreadsheet available for anyone to use for their own data analysis.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ignithar wrote: »
    tautau wrote: »
    Interesting poll, thanks for putting it up.

    If enough people express interest in the results, I plan to run one every month. If that happens, I'll make a public spreadsheet available for anyone to use for their own data analysis.

    Ooh data.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.
    
  • AlacriteAlacrite Member
    I like the idea. Idk if people have a solid choices for secondary archetypes since they're changeable. Would be nice to kinda have a poll within a poll for that reason, if that makes sense.

  • Azherae wrote: »
    Ignithar wrote: »
    tautau wrote: »
    Interesting poll, thanks for putting it up.

    If enough people express interest in the results, I plan to run one every month. If that happens, I'll make a public spreadsheet available for anyone to use for their own data analysis.

    Ooh data.

    Hahaha
    Azherae's favorite
  • I have a few that I like the idea of, but I don't actually know how the primary and secondary archetypes will interact. So I'm not really sure yet.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah...
    I currently have 5 alts and I'm not sure which will end up being my main.
    I probably won't know that until after launch.
  • IgnitharIgnithar Member
    Alacrite wrote: »
    I like the idea. Idk if people have a solid choices for secondary archetypes since they're changeable. Would be nice to kinda have a poll within a poll for that reason, if that makes sense.

    Not having a solid choice for secondary is fine. Part of the point is to watch how both primary and secondary archetype picks change over time.

    You can do things like look at what secondary archetype is most popular in general versus which is most popular for each class. Then you can look at how the overall popularity of that secondary archetype changes over time in general, and compare that to all of the classes to see if all of the classes are affected by that trend or if only certain primary archetypes are.
    I have a few that I like the idea of, but I don't actually know how the primary and secondary archetypes will interact. So I'm not really sure yet.

    It's okay if you aren't sure. Like I said, I plan on running this on a monthly basis, so just go with what you like right now and if that changes it will be reflected in future polls. Your input would still be a useful data point.
  • edited May 13
    @Vaknar Hey there, would love to request an added poll option on this forum when starting a new thread. A question option would be great too :)

    NEW POST -> DISCUSSION / POLL / QUESTION
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Vaknar Hey there, would love to request an added poll option on this forum when starting a new thread. A question option would be great too :)

    NEW POST -> DISCUSSION / POLL / QUESTION

    They have open positions for website front end and back end. I would be surprised if Vaknar had someone other than Margaret he could send that message to. Doesn't hurt to ask I guess but.... rains on the parade
    Where in the world IS Carmen Sandiego. Anyone seen her recently? Asking for a friend.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member
    I'm not sure on my secondary class due to lack of information but for now I'm considering Cleric/Mage.
  • edited May 13
    JustVine wrote: »
    @Vaknar Hey there, would love to request an added poll option on this forum when starting a new thread. A question option would be great too :)

    NEW POST -> DISCUSSION / POLL / QUESTION

    They have open positions for website front end and back end. I would be surprised if Vaknar had someone other than Margaret he could send that message to. Doesn't hurt to ask I guess but.... rains on the parade

    By looking at the bottom right, it seems they are outsourcing this forum template from Vanilla Forums. So i'm sure they could just have them add that function :) But I'm gonna let Vaknar speak for it. I've just seen a couple of people posting these great polls, but they take you to a third party site instead of staying here and it's a turn-off to click the link hah.
  • IgnitharIgnithar Member
    JustVine wrote: »
    @Vaknar Hey there, would love to request an added poll option on this forum when starting a new thread. A question option would be great too :)

    NEW POST -> DISCUSSION / POLL / QUESTION

    They have open positions for website front end and back end. I would be surprised if Vaknar had someone other than Margaret he could send that message to. Doesn't hurt to ask I guess but.... rains on the parade

    By looking at the bottom right, it seems they are outsourcing this forum template from Vanilla Forums. So i'm sure they could just have them add that function :) But I'm gonna let Vaknar speak for it. I've just seen a couple of people posting these great polls, but they take you to a third party site instead of staying here and it's a turn-off to click the link hah.

    An in-forum solution probably wouldn't work for me anyway. I need to post a new poll in the same thread every month and keep a long-term history of past poll results. It would take a lot of work for them to add all that.
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 13
    JustVine wrote: »
    @Vaknar Hey there, would love to request an added poll option on this forum when starting a new thread. A question option would be great too :)

    NEW POST -> DISCUSSION / POLL / QUESTION

    They have open positions for website front end and back end. I would be surprised if Vaknar had someone other than Margaret he could send that message to. Doesn't hurt to ask I guess but.... rains on the parade

    By looking at the bottom right, it seems they are outsourcing this forum template from Vanilla Forums. So i'm sure they could just have them add that function :) But I'm gonna let Vaknar speak for it. I've just seen a couple of people posting these great polls, but they take you to a third party site instead of staying here and it's a turn-off to click the link hah.

    Ah. I see. It doesn't say that on mobile (the powered by vanilla bit,) and the mobile has parity difference as is so I just never considered that as a mobile only user, (I use the desktop version very rarely for said features.) Just thought it was their own design work not matching up for some reason.
    Where in the world IS Carmen Sandiego. Anyone seen her recently? Asking for a friend.
  • BalanzBalanz Member
    Especially since we know so little about secondary archetypes and augments, asking our primary and secondary archetypes separately, with "Undecided" as an option, would be more revealing.

    For example, I am nearly certain my Main will be a Summoner. However, I am very unclear about my preferred secondary archetype.
  • IgnitharIgnithar Member
    Balanz wrote: »
    Especially since we know so little about secondary archetypes and augments, asking our primary and secondary archetypes separately, with "Undecided" as an option, would be more revealing.

    For example, I am nearly certain my Main will be a Summoner. However, I am very unclear about my preferred secondary archetype.

    Part of what I want to see is how the results change once we know more about secondary archetypes - an "expectations versus reality" type thing. So just pick which you like the most until we do know more.
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 13
    Heck we know so little about summoner let alone their augments. I would easily say summoner but it could turn out to be a noob trap or only really effective in pve class like in some other games with pet classes which would probably make me consider something else entirely.
    Where in the world IS Carmen Sandiego. Anyone seen her recently? Asking for a friend.
  • IgnitharIgnithar Member
    JustVine wrote: »
    Heck we know so little about summoner let alone their augments. I would easily say summoner but it could turn out to be a noob trap or only really effective in pve class like in some other games with pet classes which would probably make me consider something else entirely.

    This is why I want to run these monthly. We can see in real time how new information, like the functionality of the Summoner, changes what people pick in the polls.

    So if a bunch of people want to play Summoner, but then the popularity of the Summoner in the polls goes down after its first demonstration, that is useful data.
  • BalanzBalanz Member
    From what I know of surveys, 64 choices is way too many, and I think you will learn a lot less than you think.

    If I were designing the survey, it would be more along the lines of:

    Some players prefer to focus on a "Main" character, with possibly one or more "Alts," or alternate characters.

    Which of the following best describes how you anticipate playing Ashes of Creation:

    A. I will focus on my Main Character, to the exclusion of Alts.
    B. I will mostly focus on my Main, but have a few active Alts.
    C. I will have several Alts, and switch which is my Main as suits me.
    D. I will have many Alts, none of which I would consider my Main.

    Have you decided what the Primary Archetype of your Main will be?

    A. Yes, I am pretty sure what Archetype I will play.
    B. I have a pretty good idea what Archetype I will play.
    C. I have narrowed it down to two or three Archetypes.
    D. I haven't decided yet.

    What Primary Archetype are you most likely to play as your Main?
    A. Bard
    B. Cleric
    C. Fighter
    D. Mage
    E. Ranger
    F. Rogue
    G. Summoner
    H. Tank
    I. Don't know/Undecided.

    What Secondary Archetype are you most likely to play as your Main?
    A. Bard
    B. Cleric
    C. Fighter
    D. Mage
    E. Ranger
    F. Rogue
    G. Summoner
    H. Tank
    I. Don't know/Undecided.

    What is your current Pledge for Ashes of Creation?
    A. Lurker or no Pledge.
    B. Beta 2
    C. Beta 1
    D. Alpha 2
    E. Alpha 1
    F. Pre Alpha
    G. Star Citizen

    I would also gather some basic demographics.

    But without knowing how focused they are on playing a specific Main, the data you are acquiring is pretty much useless.
  • Well for primary archetype I'm looking at either tank or summoner
    For secondaries with tank either cleric, summoner, or double tank
    For summoner either cleric, rogue, tank, or double down on summoner.

    The secondary decision kind of depends on what kind of builds I can come up with that are the most effective/fun.
  • IgnitharIgnithar Member
    Balanz wrote: »
    From what I know of surveys, 64 choices is way too many, and I think you will learn a lot less than you think.

    If I were designing the survey, it would be more along the lines of:

    Some players prefer to focus on a "Main" character, with possibly one or more "Alts," or alternate characters.

    Which of the following best describes how you anticipate playing Ashes of Creation:

    * * * Removed due to length * * *

    I would also gather some basic demographics.

    But without knowing how focused they are on playing a specific Main, the data you are acquiring is pretty much useless.

    It's not useless, though.

    Sure, what you proposed would generate a lot more data, but it takes a lot more effort to collect and interpret that I just don't have the time to expend. I would have to collect and interpret that data every month, render any charts and graphs I want from it, etc. I just have a full time job and not enough time or motivation to deal with that much.

    On top of that, that's a lot of stuff to ask people every single month. How many people want to fill out a multi-question multiple choice quiz every month instead of just answering a single question?

    I'm just interested in what people say their favorite class is and how that data might change over time to sate my own curiosity. If I was going to do complete analytics with consideration for multiple demographic groups, I would be expecting a pay check for it.

    I can find lots of interesting things in this data in the long term even without all of the things you want me to collect. My interest lies less in what groups of people choose what, but rather I just care about what turns out to be most popular in general and how that data changes over time.

    TL;DR: What you ask for would provide a lot more data, but I ain't got the time fo' that, most people here ain't got the time fo' that, and I honestly just don't have the motivation to deal with all that crap on top of a full-time job and other duties. I'm just running this for fun.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 13
    Might be a lot of data to interpret, but that is a survey I would be more likely to answer. Even every month.
    But, hopefully, you will get enough participants for the data to be meaningful.
  • BalanzBalanz Member
    What I can tell you is that no social scientist would ever ask a survey question with 64 different choices. I am afraid you will learn nothing.
  • ZahieZahie Member
    Need an option for "don't know".
  • IgnitharIgnithar Member
    edited May 13
    Balanz wrote: »
    What I can tell you is that no social scientist would ever ask a survey question with 64 different choices. I am afraid you will learn nothing.

    Well, I'm not nor do I want to be a social scientist. Either I'll be satisfied by the results I get or I won't be. It's not the end of the world if I'm not. Like I said, I just don't have the time or spare energy to deal with what you suggested.

    If I'm going to collect data at all, this is the only way it's going to happen unless something significant about my life changes.
  • 1sab3la1sab3la Member
    Ignithar wrote: »
    Balanz wrote: »
    What I can tell you is that no social scientist would ever ask a survey question with 64 different choices. I am afraid you will learn nothing.

    Well, I'm not nor do I want to be a social scientist. Either I'll be satisfied by the results I get or I won't be. It's not the end of the world if I'm not. Like I said, I just don't have the time or spare energy to deal with what you suggested.

    If I'm going to collect data at all, this is the only way it's going to happen unless something significant about my life changes.

    Might want to ask later. I answered but I think the very few who do or will might change by beta and by release. Also the pool even in a active game would be tiny.

    You already know some basics you can collect from previous games and game types of popular choices. I would trust past data at this point more than whatever I see listed in the survey.
  • IgnitharIgnithar Member
    1sab3la wrote: »
    Might want to ask later. I answered but I think the very few who do or will might change by beta and by release. Also the pool even in a active game would be tiny.

    You already know some basics you can collect from previous games and game types of popular choices. I would trust past data at this point more than whatever I see listed in the survey.

    I know many people are going to change their minds. That's the point of tracking it by month in the first place - so I can see in what way general sentiment changes over time and potentially link that to the release of new development information or changes during testing phases.

    There is little to no "past data" to speak of. I have only found one previous attempt to collect class popularity data for Ashes, and it wasn't satisfactory. If you mean MMOs in general, most of those are very different games with possibly very different player bases.
  • Ignithar wrote: »
    1sab3la wrote: »
    Might want to ask later. I answered but I think the very few who do or will might change by beta and by release. Also the pool even in a active game would be tiny.

    You already know some basics you can collect from previous games and game types of popular choices. I would trust past data at this point more than whatever I see listed in the survey.

    I know many people are going to change their minds. That's the point of tracking it by month in the first place - so I can see in what way general sentiment changes over time and potentially link that to the release of new development information or changes during testing phases.

    There is little to no "past data" to speak of. I have only found one previous attempt to collect class popularity data for Ashes, and it wasn't satisfactory. If you mean MMOs in general, most of those are very different games with possibly very different player bases.

    Watching that trend will be exciting once they start releasing class info for real, as people start bouncing to flavor of the week.
    I'd love to see you track it and display it.
Sign In or Register to comment.