Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Story Continued - What Environments in MMO are you Fav's? What would you like to see in the future?

Fuppo HeadhunterFuppo Headhunter Moderator, Member, Alpha One
edited May 2022 in General Discussion
Continued from - https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/52484/a-new-journey-what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-beginning-player-experience-in-mmos -

Ongoing story, this is just for fun and flavor to go with questions, is nothing Official in any way!

--What Environments in MMO are you Fav's? What would you like to see in the future for Environments that you have not seen done before?

-- What Biome and environment do you think you will want to call your home for your character? Is there a specific area in MMO worlds that you generally lean towards, or does it matter to you?

Continued-

A low deep voice interrupts the words that had just started to escape Allu's mouth. “Why do we not continue this conversation less harshly, friends? Is this how we treat our companions?” The voice emerged from a Massive figure, an Ork. A Ren'Kai, to be precise.

Allu and Zii both look back at the tall Orc with a giant two-handed hammer fastened on his back and become silent, though not before shooting glares at each other and making huffing noises like they are puffing air through their beards.
The orc is giant in comparison to the two ahead of him. Alluring and Zii, standing on each other's shoulders, would not rise to the middle of the Ren'Kai's head. Massive shoulders and arms as large around as the legs of the dwarves put together are covered with Plates of steel finely fashioned and engraved with symbols denoting the accomplishments of the gladiator. That is what Roshen, his name, had been on Sanctus. A gladiator of renown! Having won his freedom through blood and combat in the arenas. It was not a small feat. The Gladiator had to have won; one-hundred and three challenges of single-action; twenty battles against two opponents, and three battles against four with a wild animal fighting with them simultaneously!

“When anger rises, think of the consequences before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves,” Roshen says. “It does not matter how slowly we go so long as we just do not stop.” he intones in his even and very calm way, which he always speaks. Alluring had yet to see him show any signs of becoming stressed or even excited since the beginning of the journey, even when that clutter of spiderlings had attacked them! She was sure that as the Orc had smashed the limbs and bodies of those he had fought in the arena with his Great Hammer, which he had given the name Banisher, he had been saying the same things to them!

Ren'Kai had a philosophy of seeking inner peace through Honor, Power and Tranquility. They focused their power and could release it with devastating bursts when becoming enraged by staying calm. Feats of almost impossible actions in combat. Roshen was the best example of this attitude that both Zii and Allu had ever met, though thankfully, they had not had a reason to see him become enraged, “that will take a lot more than a few spiderlings,” thought Alluring. “Just us being lucky and being near that river we could cross which the spiderlings would not is what saved us there!”
At that moment, Alluring heard a small voice call out that sounded like chimes on the wind, crisp sounds like small bells combined in a voice coming from her belt pouch.

“Let me out! Let Me out!” It exclaims..

Alluring opens her pouch, reaches in and takes out an orb that barely fits in her leather-covered hand, which appears to be glass or maybe crystal glowing with a faint light. A small figure floats inside of it, suspended in the middle; the sound of the voice is coming from it, the vibrations from the ball making the sound have its distinct light claxon of bells.
“Finally! Does one have to yell to get the attention of those who keep one in the dark? One has been saying that ahead is the destination; Ones are almost there!” Says the tiny elfin figure, which is the source of the faint glow, her wings beating at a blinding speed, making her garments that appear to be made out of shining white silk flutter. However, no movement of her tiny body is apparent in any direction in the crystal ball.

“Again, One is not a Compass!! One is named Tara'Lalesh! Tara, not Tool or Direction Ball! Tara!” the sounds of the chimes and bells came louder at this last, the ball vibrating so much that Allu swore that it might break.
“Yes, you are a compass, or at least our guide and not a good guide, Tara! We are lost, and this is your fault!” Allu exclaimed.
“Lost? No, this is not the word; one is found, yes, found, for the destination is right ahead of one! Does not one see the clearing of the forest ahead?” the tiny chimes intoned with a slightly smug sound, smug sounding as bells whispering on the thin crystal could be.

They all had stopped and stared down at the Elfin creature; now, they looked up towards the west and could see the sun that had just begun to cast its rays low under the trees. Just ahead, illuminated by the rays, there was a forest clearing which they had not noticed as the attention had been on trying to keep from stepping wrong in the deep undergrowth of vines. Large leaves that none of them could put names to covered and blocked sight in all directions in the great Pine forest.

“Finally!” Shouted Zii. “Let's get going!” she said as she started to crash through the forest once again. Alluring rolls her eyes as she watches Zii plow ahead. “Well, at least anyone in the clearing will have a good warning we are almost there. "We will see in a moment.” She continues along with the Ren'Kai moving silently behind. They follow the sounds of the brush being broken and along to the jingle and chime of Tara humming a song sung by children on Sanctus that was about “I told you so” or something along those lines.

As they reached the tree line, they noticed that Zii had stopped and had become very still, which had not happened except when she had been asleep, “Oh Goddess!.” was the only sound that came from a gasp of breath exhaled in wonder. Alluring and Roshen stepped out of the underbrush into the meadow and stopped and stared.

Since coming through the Divine Gateway to Sanctus, the environment had been shrouded with tall Pine trees, dense undergrowth, and maple trees. After they left the valley clearing surrounded by lofty snow-covered peaks where the Divine Gateway was located, this was the only type of landscape they had seen for the few feet that could be seen.

Now though, the true expanse of the world opened up in front of them. The group was on a high mountain plateau that dropped off on a great cliff. The world spread out before them, stretching to the ocean in the far distance on the horizon. The sun gleamed, just starting to descend under it and casting a red and orange hue into the piercingly blue sky, stars just beginning to show in that sky behind the red duskiness. Details of the lands ahead had already been shrouded by the darkness spreading with the coming night.

A solitary peak with its orange glow coming from its top, the great volcano erupting, could be seen in the distance against the sky. Plants and grass of numerous varieties unfamiliar to the explorers dotted the clearing. A group of five of what appeared to be deer, with glowing horns and slimmer with longer legs than any seen on Sanctus, stand on the far right side of a stream covered with a light mist and in the middle of the clearing completing this surreal environment was the ruins of a great tower. Tumbled walls strewn out in front of the Towers ruins with grass and slightly fluorescent moss clinging to the stone, giving off a strange glow illuminating the carved blocks.

“Well, let us continue. What is there to worry about if you look into your own heart and find nothing wrong there? What is there to fear?” Roshen says and takes a step forward into the clearing. Looking a little further ahead due to his height, he sees a figure with eyes glowing with an inner fire appear suddenly on top of one of those stone blocks.
“Is that a cat?” he says questioningly in his deep voice.

To be continued...

--What Environments in MMO are your Faviorite's? What would you like to see in the future for Environments that you have not seen done before?

-- What Biome and environment do you think you will want to call your home for your character? Is there a specific area in MMO worlds that you generally lean towards, or does it matter to you?

es1unf21pz04.png
volunteer_moderator.gif

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I most like cold climates, the ocean, and coastlines.

Because of the world design of most games, I can't get them all in one place normally, so I end up bouncing between them as long as they aren't too far apart. Generally, I kinda ignore other biomes even when I have to pass through them. Something about 'riding through the forest path' just doesn't get me as interested as 'knowing every inch, nook and cranny of a coastline or chilly mountain range'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Snow mountains in the middle-south of the eastern continent. That's gon be my home.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Snow mountains in the middle-south of the eastern continent. That's gon be my home.

Sounds chilly but rewarding!! Yay!
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    I most like cold climates, the ocean, and coastlines.

Because of the world design of most games, I can't get them all in one place normally, so I end up bouncing between them as long as they aren't too far apart. Generally, I kinda ignore other biomes even when I have to pass through them. Something about 'riding through the forest path' just doesn't get me as interested as 'knowing every inch, nook and cranny of a coastline or chilly mountain range'.

A true explorer at heart!
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Sounds chilly but rewarding!! Yay!
    I'll be warmed up by my kiln, making swords and armors. And by my unreasonably long beard.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Snowy mountains are always cool to explore and be in. For a freehold, I can see myself going all hobbity with a riverlands farm in green, rolling hills. All idyllic and shit. That is, I would if it wasn't for the fact that we can settle in the underrealm. I am 100% going to try and get me a freehold in the underrealm and grow glowing mushrooms and breed glowing creatures.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    In r/l my heart lifts when I'm above tree-line (above 8500ft) where you get these rocky, windswept grasslands dotted with stunted juniper pine or dwarf pine.

In games, I want a pretty diverse set of environments, designed in a way to buy into my involvement with that environment. Games that do open natural environments damn near perfect are RDR2, Witcher 3, and Fallout 4. RDR2 is probably as close to modern ideal as I've seen - so I'm expecting UE5 to take this to a surreal experience. For urban environments, Cyberpunk 2077 is a phenomenal gamescape. Night city FEELS seedy, grittty, enclosed, and busy.

On the other hand, I DO NOT want game environments to be designed in a way that funnel characters into a linear path. Neverwinter is a usual suspect here. Terrible level design for an RPG.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    In r/l my heart lifts when I'm above tree-line (above 8500ft) where you get these rocky, windswept grasslands dotted with stunted juniper pine or dwarf pine.

In games, I want a pretty diverse set of environments, designed in a way to buy into my involvement with that environment. Games that do open natural environments damn near perfect are RDR2, Witcher 3, and Fallout 4. RDR2 is probably as close to modern ideal as I've seen - so I'm expecting UE5 to take this to a surreal experience. For urban environments, Cyberpunk 2077 is a phenomenal gamescape. Night city FEELS seedy, grittty, enclosed, and busy.

On the other hand, I DO NOT want game environments to be designed in a way that funnel characters into a linear path. Neverwinter is a usual suspect here. Terrible level design for an RPG.

You just want to be a free "BirB"!!
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Hah! Waiting for the Skynyrd memes...
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    I love me some lush European looking forests with little rivers and streams :)
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options

So pretty! Love areas like that!
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options

So pretty! Love areas like that!

Right! If i can get an AoC version of Rivendell i will be happy hah.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Especially if those rivers and waterfalls have current. It’s awesome when a game allows you to be carried from a lake to the ocean. Allows for smaller, no-keel boats another way to move players.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    I like daunting and desolating environments, that tied with the lore of the place gives off an uncanny feeling that something just ain't right, that instinctivly makes you feel unconfortable and keeps you on the edge for just being there.

The MMORPG i found the most enviroments like that was in Lineage 2, mainly Execution Grounds,Forest of the dead, Devil's Pass and Hellbound Island.
    WoW also had a very good one that sadly wasn't open for quite a long time, the Forgotten Crypt behind tower of Karazhan, specially the Upside-down sinners area.

The Biomes i like the most are Tundras, Deserts and Foggy Swamplands, i will probably reside in one of them.

Extra: Vestiges of fallen civilizations in any environment is always cool.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    JindrackJindrack Member, Staff
    I really love jungles in my MMO! Jungles have always equated to adventure for me. Must go back to my love of Indiana Jones and pulp adventures, like Conan. Loved the Feerrott in EQ1 and 2, the Kunzar Jungle in EQ2, Stranglethorn Vale in WoW.
    design.gif
  • Options
    ZahieZahie Member
    edited May 2022
    I love deep and dreamy forests with mystic rays of light and big trees that branch out and build a roof of foliage above my head. A favorite is a really dense and old pine forest, like the Black Forest in Valheim.

It's too bad that forests in most mmorpgs tend to look like a flat field with some sparsely planted trees that is way too small and should not be called a forest.
    New World had some good forests but that was kinda the only thing good in that game.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2022
    True, if we can get an actual old forest or jungle feeling in Ashes, with massive trees and dense vegetation, that would be amazing. Like actual big areas of nothing but that, interspersed with little pockets of adventure. No paths/roads to ruin the environment. At most a few animal trails.
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    There's something about Archeage environmental work that makes it standout and memorable.

I like most of the Harani continent, the terrain elevation, tree's and other land features to me feel very correct, nothing looks absolutely bizarre or out of place (I think I love things that make sense xD).
  • Options
    SinderSinder Member
    You'll find me on the outskirts of the enchanted forest.

Magical adventures through the forest glades by day and sitting down to gaze across the tranquil grasslands at night.
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Since we have Ley Lines, I'm hoping we will get some Mana Biomes.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Since we have Ley Lines, I'm hoping we will get some Mana Biomes.

Oh a mana biome.... what would you describe it being like?
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    SunboySunboy Member
    The city biome. Sprawling alley’s filled with slavers, smugglers and thiefs.
    Rooftop’s, sewers y’all know the cliché’s.
  • Options
    AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well, I have a few :D

- I absolutely love the desert in BDO and Uldum in WoW! Very sandy bare lands with mysterious ruins and tunnels scattered around are just chefs kiss
    - Snowy mountains! The viking in me wants a freehold atop of one
    - Magical forests filled with fantastical creatures!
    - Gloomy towns shrouded in mystery, like Duskwood in WoW
  • Options
    AidanKDAidanKD Member
    Mountains! I love climbing mountains or cliffsides and trying to reach the peaks and earn the glorious vista at the end of it.

I remember back in Wotlk - the storm peaks, before you could fly there was a mountain path you could climb and there were ways to ascend to the peak and oh boy the view.

In new world, one thing I felt mixed about, is that it was super easy to walk up a fairly vertical mountain - albeit the views WERE GOOD. But I feel that climbing a mountain shouldn't just be a timesink but a puzzle, working out the way to navigate the harsh terrain.

Doesn't bother me if it's sunny, snowy or otherwise, but I want there to be "Vistas" which are not straight forward to reach but reward you with an amazing view.

Chuck easter eggs about which depict a little of Verra's world history and you have hit gold too.
  • Options
    Amist wrote: »
    Well, I have a few :D

- I absolutely love the desert in BDO and Uldum in WoW! Very sandy bare lands with mysterious ruins and tunnels scattered around are just chefs kiss
    - Snowy mountains! The viking in me wants a freehold atop of one
    - Magical forests filled with fantastical creatures!
    - Gloomy towns shrouded in mystery, like Duskwood in WoW

Oh yas... Mysterious areas which tell a story through the environment are great!
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    in between the Veldt or savanna and the tropical jungle there lies a biome i really enjoy.
    its the subtropical dry broadleaf forest.

think brush and small trees head high to 15 meters tall , with a very large old tree 50 meters tall towering over all with large space between.
    ground level is mostly flat with islands of trees and brush in a sea of grass and pathways created by large hungry beasts .
    Its a very very dangerous place to wander the large beasts that wont eat a person will simply trample the unfortunate into the ground.
    also it is easy to get lost , as it is a maze throughout
  • Options
    While dark crypts and snowy mountains make for fun adventures, you'll find me hanging out in a sunny, open space if I can! A lush field of grass in a broad valley would be perfect for farming. Maybe throw in some hills and floating islands for variety. When I saw AoC's Riverlands art, I made it my desktop wallpaper.
  • Options
    LoredLored Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I kind of want to wander around and figure it out from there. I want to be able to settle in some place that I have found by just wandering around.
    Join the Knights of Ember, an Ashes-focused guild with an awesome chill community.
    giphy.gif?cid=790b7611cc1bd7ff8442612a084ab7a93624552806de5b6d&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
    Visit our Forum Post
  • Options
    IronhopeIronhope Member
    edited June 2022
    Dead lands.
    Permanently dark area with ghouls, wraiths, vampires, necromancers, etc full of ruins, cemeteries, plagued cities, etc

Elwyn Forest.
    Chill, apparently a backyard of civilization and apparently safe, but with all sorts of bandits, mines full of cobolds, etc