Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ideas for large events in Verra

While chatting in the discord I got to talking about Landmarks in Verra. We already have the Volcano and we know there is a Giant head from the last video! I am pretty sure it's been discussed that the Volcano could display activity and we could see it erupting at some point, with gradual activity with Murmurs, smoke etc.

So for the Giant Head, it got me thinking, this would obviously server a great landmark, it's a giant head. I can absolutely see a scenario with the node it is housed in gradually feeling tremors of increasing veracity - to the point where it actually climbs out of the water!

It could be a naval event, a land event, a combination of the two where you can subdue it in the water, but perhaps it would be difficult to do so, and if it makes it to land, then it has a harsher effect on the node; debilitating facilities and effecting the local area.

Can you guys think of other landmarks/events that could suit the world of Verra?

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm not sure if you explicitly want to see spectacle or not?

For example, I consider 'Node statuses changing' and 'weather/seasons changing', especially if these combine to create new Node statuses, to be 'large events', but they don't seem to be the same sort of thing you're referring to.

I don't like events tied to Landmarks in the early development. I feel that's better utilized as a surprise to break up things once players have gotten used to things like 'Responding to their Node Warehouse being damaged just before Winter and losing access to lots of materials for cooking'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »

For example, I consider 'Node statuses changing' and 'weather/seasons changing', especially if these combine to create new Node statuses, to be 'large events', but they don't seem to be the same sort of thing you're referring to.

I don't like events tied to Landmarks in the early development. I feel that's better utilized as a surprise to break up things once players have gotten used to things like 'Responding to their Node Warehouse being damaged just before Winter and losing access to lots of materials for cooking'.

If i wasn't clear, my idea of an event is more so an active engagement, activity, "content" for players to actively take part in. The example I gave would just be an actual scenario.

I am happy for them to keep their cards close to their chest but it was an idea that popped up in the moment and I felt like putting it out there!
  • Options
    AidanKD wrote: »

If i wasn't clear, my idea of an event is more so an active engagement, activity, "content" for players to actively take part in. The example I gave would just be an actual scenario.

I am happy for them to keep their cards close to their chest but it was an idea that popped up in the moment and I felt like putting it out there!

Right but that's still a little ambiguous.

I'll use the same examples I use in other threads.

"City being attacked by mobs" is a thing I experience through Besieged in FFXI. Enemy strength, logistics, how long they've been preparing, whether or not certain mobs were killed in the enemy stronghold, all these things affect how and when the Siege happens, but the Siege itself lasts an hour.

"Infrastructure Failure" is a thing I experience through 'Node statuses' in Elite Dangerous. The specific requirements of the status change things like enemy spawns, required materials, access to services, effects of actions in the area. When this happens is semirandom and can be used for RP, but the effect lasts for weeks and players have many smaller things to do.

Are these both 'valid' events for the thing you're talking about specifically?

• Options

"City being attacked by mobs" is a thing I experience through Besieged in FFXI. Enemy strength, logistics, how long they've been preparing, whether or not certain mobs were killed in the enemy stronghold, all these things affect how and when the Siege happens, but the Siege itself lasts an hour.

"Infrastructure Failure" is a thing I experience through 'Node statuses' in Elite Dangerous. The specific requirements of the status change things like enemy spawns, required materials, access to services, effects of actions in the area. When this happens is semirandom and can be used for RP, but the effect lasts for weeks and players have many smaller things to do.

I am not sure I am 100% following , but are you focused more on the triggering conditions and the resultant effects for these events?

I think that I am a little more fixated on the actual *experience* rather than the actual effects and conditionals. Such as the idea of a landmark turning into more than just a landmark.

There are many ways that you can structure the event but the delivery of it is very much up for speculation.
  • Options
    AidanKD wrote: »

I am not sure I am 100% following , but are you focused more on the triggering conditions and the resultant effects for these events?

I think that I am a little more fixated on the actual *experience* rather than the actual effects and conditionals. Such as the idea of a landmark turning into more than just a landmark.

There are many ways that you can structure the event but the delivery of it is very much up for speculation.

Got it. That is, in fact, what I was asking. Thanks for clarifying.

• Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    I just hope one random day a huge meteorite falls and kills 10% of the map, then an alien invasion begins without any warning, and we have to defend united
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Events should be rare. Otherwise they are just an intrusion. If the GMs organize one or two events a year you will see the whole server participating.

If they are thrown in every 3 months first of all they wont be such a big deal and secondly it will draw SOME players from the actual game, disrupting guilds and groups from achieving real goals.
    In addition, if frequent events award things that can be sold or traded between players, things that arent just of cosmwtic value, the market would be affected, diluted.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    There’s some truth to that, especially with large scale events. I mean remember when the Empire tried to take over the galaxy with that massive space station that had the ability to destroy entire planets until it was destroyed by a small band of misfit pilots?

No, the other one.

Noooo, the other one.

😕
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    There’s some truth to that, especially with large scale events. I mean remember when the Empire tried to take over the galaxy with that massive space station that had the ability to destroy entire planets until it was destroyed by a small band of misfit pilots?

No, the other one.

Noooo, the other one.

😕

~Special hand wave~ "You have never seen that happen."

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Bwahaha. Right? 🤪
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png