Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Going Red

DrunkninjaDrunkninja Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
What would it take for you to go Red? Gold? Revenge, anger and frustration? Nothing, you just do it anyway? Tell us, what would make you step over the line and go Red.

Comments

• AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Drunkninja wrote: »
    What would it take for you to go Red? Gold? Revenge, anger and frustration? Nothing, you just do it anyway? Tell us, what would make you step over the line and go Red.

"My opponent not fighting back."

I do not think there is a point in the game where my reaction to 'initiating PvP and my opponent decides to do nothing' will lead to me 'not continuing to kill them'. So to me the question is literally just 'why would you ever attack anyone?'

I do not expect to EVER pay attention to Corruption. If I had a reason to attack, I will continue to attack until the opponent is dead. As for whether or not I would attack any given person, that will be the calculation based on what I expect they are carrying.

So, for clarity 'If I think you are carrying enough mats that I want them, your choice to not fight back will not prevent me from continuing to kill you'.

As it should be.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• NiKrNiKr Member
    Most likely my main reason would be to remove someone from a farming spot (if there are any in the game). Outside of that prooobably some resources? Though I feel like I'd rather spend time farming money to buy those or just farm the resource itself. And then if someone's there farming it already - I PK them for the right to farm it.
  • BalanzBalanz Member
    "Me and the boys, we got a job to do. Nothing personal, mate. My advice is think about who you might have pissed off enough to pay us."
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited May 2022
    I can think of a few reasons:

- competing for gatherables
    - they are on a KOS list
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Land Management protection.
    Especially if Survey determines depletion is about to trigger a catastrophic Event.
    And individual players insist on ravaging the region.
  • Cat QuiverCat Quiver Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    When I played Archeage I was on an airship at some point with two others, one faction and the other not. The one in my faction suggested I shoot the dwarf off and I did. In retrospect I wish I had purpled and shot him off too because it would have been that much more funny.
  • If i believe the target is isolated enough and is carring stuff worth the shot, i will go red.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Sol RavenSol Raven Member
    edited May 2022
    Drunkninja wrote: »

Anything and everything. Just depends on a case by case scenario. Mostly it would be when people are taking resources in my area that I am obviously going for. Too many times in New World would someone see me gathering something and attempt to lure a mob to fight me, or go ahead of my route while I'm clearing mobs and take the high end resource WHILE THEY WERE UNFLAGGED. Excited that won't be an issue any longer.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    If somebody wants to annoy me Ill go red on them, and most likely evety time I see them for a long while. It doesnt happen very often in mmos with open world PvP. People act more sensibly and more respectfully.

If my group rly rly needs a farm/grind spot, or if we dont want anybody else contributing to a raid boss, Ill also go red.
  • KovrmKovrm Member
    Hmm. I'll go red for whatever requires it.. Someone being a dbag? Kill them. Have resources that my guild might need? Kill you. Boredom? Kill you. In the wrong neighborhood? Kill you.

Like most others, I don't care if you fight back. I'm attacking til one of us dies. And if it's me that dies? Take what you can and watch your back. ;)
    sJ4g8FI.png
  • I probably won't ever be red?
    If I want something and start a fight
    They're either going to fight back therefore I would just be purple at the end.
    Or they are going to run and I'll let them go, I got the target resource I wanted.
    I don't see a scenario where they just sit down and refuse to fight where I decide to kill someone sitting on the ground...
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    I probably won't ever be red?
    Or they are going to run and I'll let them go, I got the target resource I wanted.
    I don't see a scenario where they just sit down and refuse to fight where I decide to kill someone sitting on the ground...
    I mean, they can just stand there, let you kill them and become Red and then let you get fucked by that corruption. That's the 3rd choice a victim has and if anything that's a stronger choice than fighting back.
  • Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I won't likely go red unless its some sort of revenge.
  • SarevokSarevok Member
    Will I go red? Probably.
    Do I like the system? Absolutely not.
    Will I do everything in my power to avoid going red by finding any other possible way to get my revenge or put someone in their place? Of course!
    Do you feel safe? You shouldn't.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I won't likely go red unless its some sort of revenge.

I gotta see red if I'm gonna be red.

Hhak63P.png
  • PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Really depends on the situation, and how sever the penalties are. If I really need lot bad, I'm hitting up the caravans.
  • NiKr wrote: »
    I probably won't ever be red?
    I mean, they can just stand there, let you kill them and become Red and then let you get fucked by that corruption. That's the 3rd choice a victim has and if anything that's a stronger choice than fighting back.

If they want to just sit there and do nothing then I'll just get the resource node or mob I wanted, if there going to sit there and be a flower I'll ignore them.
  • ShileeShilee Member
    The thought of bounty hunter's attempting to track me down to kill me sounds like an exciting way to make leveling more enjoyable. In MMOs where open world PVP is a major theme, I usually enjoy going out and starting fights for no reason when possible.
    um4jv42ch03z.png
    ip85fpf98y0y.png
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    If they want to just sit there and do nothing then I'll just get the resource node or mob I wanted, if there going to sit there and be a flower I'll ignore them.
    Ok, I shouldn't have said "just stand there". They'll just continue doing whatever it is they were doing. The same thing you came there to do and would be trying to fight over. Except they wouldn't fight back in hopes that you gonna kill them and become red.

So your choice is to either share the resource/mobs or to go red. I've had many such cases in L2, when some dude didn't want to give up a farming spot but also didn't fight back when I attacked him.
  • It depends on the game's social conventions and rewards structures. If attacking other players is expected and rewarded, then I'll participate since it's part of the game. If attacking other players is unusual and discouraged, then I'll probably never do it.
  • SweatycupSweatycup Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It will depend on how the law systems work as well as what guilds end up getting enough influence in regions to properly build-up and maintain a successful city. After that its all trickle down. I find it highly unlikely that a pure pvp guild would ever run a city successfully in the long run. But in the case it does i'm just attacking everyone because at that point its all just a killing field really if your not wearing the right crest or ticker. However, I think people will generally go for a more sociable interaction since the game isnt meant to be played like a castle defense for a singular entity or guild to profit and i'm sure we will see vassal guild uprisings too, you know, the lower village folk. I personally typically don't like to attack first unless i am with a pure pvp group of people. The actual interaction vs reward in ashes of creation most times isnt worth the head whomping, probably more useful alive unless as typical in pvp games, KoS or guild war enemy.
  • NiKr wrote: »
    Ok, I shouldn't have said "just stand there". They'll just continue doing whatever it is they were doing. The same thing you came there to do and would be trying to fight over. Except they wouldn't fight back in hopes that you gonna kill them and become red.

So your choice is to either share the resource/mobs or to go red. I've had many such cases in L2, when some dude didn't want to give up a farming spot but also didn't fight back when I attacked him.

Is hitting someone not going to interrupt their action?
    Of mining or whatever?
    I hit him and then start mining it myself
    He can either move on or hit back.
    He hits back and we throw down, I still don't end up red.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Of mining or whatever?
    We don't know whether it interrupts or not. We also don't know CD on gathering abilities, so if there's none - your target could just immediately restart gathering.

And in the case of farming mobs you'd have to outdps them to get the loot so there's that too.
  • SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »

Of mining or whatever?

Let's assume that it does. Now he's taken damage. Now he starts gathering again. Now you have to hit him again. Do this enough times, and you're red. He doesn't have to hit back.

If you want to say "well a mob will finish him", then I'll just point out he might already have damage from a mob, and you'll last-hit without realizing. (This is specifically intended, and why Steven has said you will not see other player's HP levels.)
    Well...
    I also plan to have some Corrupted Zombie alts that will try to gain as much Corruption as possible before falling to pieces from decay.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dygz wrote: »
    Well...
    I also plan to have some Corrupted Zombie alts that will try to gain as much Corruption as possible before falling to pieces from decay.

It wont take you long. As soon as you lose your weapon or big armor piece for that character you will be free pvp and you will stop.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Shilee wrote: »
    The thought of bounty hunter's attempting to track me down to kill me sounds like an exciting way to make leveling more enjoyable. In MMOs where open world PVP is a major theme, I usually enjoy going out and starting fights for no reason when possible.
    um4jv42ch03z.png

Hopefully not. The game is set up to dissuade players from wanting to be corrupted. The stacking penalties (including the massive XP debt) and increased amount of stuff you lose on death (including the potential to lose gear) should make leveling much less enjoyable.

Being corrupted is supposed to not be fun. If it’s enjoyable, the game is doomed as it becomes a free-for-all gankfest nobody but a tiny playerbase will enjoy.

Hhak63P.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

Of mining or whatever?
    You are assuming that harvesting will work the same as it does in games like WoW - where resource nodes spawn and only one player can harvest it at a time.

While it *may* end up being like this, it also may not.

However, if it does end up being like this, all you are doing is fighting over one node spawn, not the whole area. If you aren't willing to fight for the region, you are better off just going to a different node spawn in that same region.
  • Noaani wrote: »

Of mining or whatever?
    You are assuming that harvesting will work the same as it does in games like WoW - where resource nodes spawn and only one player can harvest it at a time.

While it *may* end up being like this, it also may not.

However, if it does end up being like this, all you are doing is fighting over one node spawn, not the whole area. If you aren't willing to fight for the region, you are better off just going to a different node spawn in that same region.

You're right, no idea how harvesting will work in ashes yet, hence I'm just spit balling here

However
    I do like the idea of using javelin and tank walls to keep people away from nodes I want
    Dygz wrote: »
    Well...

It wont take you long. As soon as you lose your weapon or big armor piece for that character you will be free pvp and you will stop.
    The whole point is to be free PvP. How long it takes to decay will depend on the level of that alt when it becomes a zombie.